[News] Intel Takes Microsoft to the Cleaners Again, Promotes Linux - Linux

  1. [News] Intel Takes Microsoft to the Cleaners Again, Promotes Linux

    Intel snubs Microsoft; offers Linux certification

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intel's enthusiasm for open source is gathering speed: now it is endorsing
    | professional Linux certifications, snubbing the old Microsoft certification
    | program.
    `----

    http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2698

    Intel Developer Forum offers Linux training

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ATTENDEES OF THE INTEL Developer Forum will be able to get substantial
    | discounts for any of three certifications in Linux, but anyone looking to
    | obtain similar qualifications for the Windows platform will have to go
    | elsewhere.
    |
    | In what may be seen as a snub of Microsoft, the giant chipmaker is sending a
    | clear message to the Open Source community.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...m-offers-linux

    Recent:

    Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...apable_emails/

    Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

    http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/mic...rtner=yahootix

    Intel Backstabs Microsoft by Abandoning Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The news that Intel has decided it won't upgrade its PCs to Vista must be
    | especially bitter for Microsoft because court documents show that Microsoft
    | may have launched its ill-fated "junk PC" Vista scheme at the behest of
    | Intel. Is this the kind of payback that Microsoft expected?
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ing_vista.html

    Intel won't touch Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So that leaves two other choices, Linux and Mac. Linux is a distinct
    | possibility, they already have an in-house distro that causes employees look
    | nervously around the room when you talk about it. Although it is not a
    | desktop variant, there is no reason that they could not roll one given two
    | years.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...el-dumps-vista

    Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
    | open source rival
    |
    | Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
    | around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
    | sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
    | Press.
    `----

    http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2993...ed-round-Linux

    EU files new charges against Intel

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | European Union antitrust regulators made new accusations against chipmaker
    | Intel on Thursday, saying it paid retailers to not sell PCs using chips made
    | by rival Advanced Micro Devices.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9584_22-211270.html

    Intel "paid vendors not to use AMD"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | AMD filed suit in Delaware against Intel in June of 2005, accusing its
    | competitor of abusing its monopolistic position. The complaint charges that
    | customers were forced not to use AMD processors. At that time the Japanese
    | anti-trust body was investigating Intel and the EU Commission also had its
    | eye on Intel's behaviour.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Intel Takes Microsoft to the Cleaners Again, PromotesLinux

    > Intel snubs Microsoft; offers Linux certification

    Looks like Moshe Flatfish will have to boycott Intel as well as AMD now.
    That somewhat limits his choices WRT Windows, however.

    Oh well, there's always Linux

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    15:14:20 up 214 days, 11:49, 3 users, load average: 0.15, 0.22, 0.25

  3. Re: [News] Intel Takes Microsoft to the Cleaners Again, Promotes Linux

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:14:40 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >> Intel snubs Microsoft; offers Linux certification

    > Looks like Moshe Flatfish will have to boycott Intel as well as AMD now.
    > That somewhat limits his choices WRT Windows, however.
    >
    > Oh well, there's always Linux

    I've always used Intel because it works far better than AMD for digital
    audio.
    That's why the top companies offering turnkey DAW systems all use Intel
    only.

    I could care less what certifications Intel offers because I know they will
    alsways support running the Windows operating system

    They would go bankrupt if they didn't .

    And should they choose that route, I would simply move to OSX which is
    something I might just do anyway.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: