XMMS2 audio server - Linux

This is a discussion on XMMS2 audio server - Linux ; Has anybody tried out XMMS2? It's similar to MPD -- it is a daemon that runs, and your clients connect to it to load its media library, playlists, tunes, URLs, etc. I can't get it to run properly through streamtuner, ...

  1. XMMS2 audio server

    Has anybody tried out XMMS2? It's similar to MPD -- it is a daemon that
    runs, and your clients connect to it to load its media library,
    playlists, tunes, URLs, etc.

    I can't get it to run properly through streamtuner, but it does have a
    nice little gkrellm GUI (as well as a number of other GUI clients and
    CLI and web clients).

    Rather than use streamtuner, I've just made a directory full of playlist
    files downloaded from (for example) sky.fm and soma.fm, and the command
    to load it up is "xmms2 addpls path_to_pls_file", which is good enough
    for my usage.

    The only other problem I've found is that when I stop and restart
    playback using fluxbox keystrokes, the memory usage shoots up a bit.
    Weird.

    What other audio servers are there? I know of xmms2, mpd, and
    slimserver (a Free Perl app from a proprietary company).

    --
    It is generally agreed that "Hello" is an appropriate greeting because
    if you entered a room and said "Goodbye," it could confuse a lot of people.

  2. Re: XMMS2 audio server

    Linonut wrote:

    Face me you little punk. Come out you little punk. You can run you
    little punk, but you can't hide you little punk.

  3. Re: XMMS2 audio server

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    > Has anybody tried out XMMS2? It's similar to MPD -- it is a daemon that
    > runs, and your clients connect to it to load its media library,
    > playlists, tunes, URLs, etc.
    >
    > I can't get it to run properly through streamtuner, but it does have a
    > nice little gkrellm GUI (as well as a number of other GUI clients and
    > CLI and web clients).
    >
    > Rather than use streamtuner, I've just made a directory full of playlist
    > files downloaded from (for example) sky.fm and soma.fm, and the command
    > to load it up is "xmms2 addpls path_to_pls_file", which is good enough
    > for my usage.

    You have to run this thing from the command line? Do you expect kids who
    listen to music to have to drop down to the command line in order to add a
    playlist?

    > The only other problem I've found is that when I stop and restart
    > playback using fluxbox keystrokes, the memory usage shoots up a bit.
    > Weird.
    >
    > What other audio servers are there? I know of xmms2, mpd, and
    > slimserver (a Free Perl app from a proprietary company).

    How about just one that works instead of a half-dozen incompatible ones that
    don't?

  4. Re: XMMS2 audio server

    "Linonut" schreef in bericht
    > Has anybody tried out XMMS2? It's similar to MPD -- it is a daemon that
    > runs, and your clients connect to it to load its media library,
    > playlists, tunes, URLs, etc.
    >
    > I can't get it to run properly through streamtuner, but it does have a
    > nice little gkrellm GUI (as well as a number of other GUI clients and
    > CLI and web clients).

    Get your wife's or daughter's XP computer and get Esperanza, as always linux
    sucks!
    http://exodus.xmms.se/~tru/screens/e.../0.2/win32.png

    > Rather than use streamtuner, I've just made a directory full of playlist
    > files downloaded from (for example) sky.fm and soma.fm, and the command
    > to load it up is "xmms2 addpls path_to_pls_file", which is good enough
    > for my usage.
    >
    > The only other problem I've found is that when I stop and restart
    > playback using fluxbox keystrokes, the memory usage shoots up a bit.
    > Weird.
    >
    > What other audio servers are there? I know of xmms2, mpd, and
    > slimserver (a Free Perl app from a proprietary company).

  5. Re: XMMS2 audio server

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:53:40 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > Has anybody tried out XMMS2? It's similar to MPD -- it is a daemon that
    > runs, and your clients connect to it to load its media library,
    > playlists, tunes, URLs, etc.
    >
    > I can't get it to run properly through streamtuner, but it does have a
    > nice little gkrellm GUI (as well as a number of other GUI clients and
    > CLI and web clients).
    >
    > Rather than use streamtuner, I've just made a directory full of playlist
    > files downloaded from (for example) sky.fm and soma.fm, and the command
    > to load it up is "xmms2 addpls path_to_pls_file", which is good enough
    > for my usage.
    >
    > The only other problem I've found is that when I stop and restart
    > playback using fluxbox keystrokes, the memory usage shoots up a bit.
    > Weird.
    >
    > What other audio servers are there? I know of xmms2, mpd, and
    > slimserver (a Free Perl app from a proprietary company).

    Sigh....
    Just what Linux doesn't need....
    Another audio server...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: XMMS2 audio server

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:03:05 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> Has anybody tried out XMMS2? It's similar to MPD -- it is a daemon that
    >> runs, and your clients connect to it to load its media library,
    >> playlists, tunes, URLs, etc.
    >>
    >> I can't get it to run properly through streamtuner, but it does have a
    >> nice little gkrellm GUI (as well as a number of other GUI clients and
    >> CLI and web clients).
    >>
    >> Rather than use streamtuner, I've just made a directory full of playlist
    >> files downloaded from (for example) sky.fm and soma.fm, and the command
    >> to load it up is "xmms2 addpls path_to_pls_file", which is good enough
    >> for my usage.

    > You have to run this thing from the command line? Do you expect kids who
    > listen to music to have to drop down to the command line in order to add a
    > playlist?

    Some of these Linux bozos actually *do* think like that.
    Jebbediah and Shearman to mention two.

    >> The only other problem I've found is that when I stop and restart
    >> playback using fluxbox keystrokes, the memory usage shoots up a bit.
    >> Weird.
    >>
    >> What other audio servers are there? I know of xmms2, mpd, and
    >> slimserver (a Free Perl app from a proprietary company).

    > How about just one that works instead of a half-dozen incompatible ones that
    > don't?

    It's all about choice.
    Sooner or later one of the choices has to work.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: XMMS2 audio server

    > What other audio servers are there? I know of xmms2, mpd, and
    > slimserver (a Free Perl app from a proprietary company).

    http://www.icecast.org

    http://www.pulseaudio.org

    Personally I just play all mine over NFS through Amarok.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    15:11:49 up 214 days, 11:47, 3 users, load average: 0.17, 0.26, 0.26

  8. Re: XMMS2 audio server

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >
    >> What other audio servers are there? I know of xmms2, mpd, and
    >> slimserver (a Free Perl app from a proprietary company).

    > http://www.icecast.org

    That one is a streaming server, not quite what XMMS2 is.

    > http://www.pulseaudio.org

    Interesting. Xmms2 has a pulseaudio plugin ("enables pulseaudio output
    for xmms2"). The documentation says pulseaudio is like ESD (Enlightened
    Sound Daemon) but with more features, including allowing an application
    to play back or record audio on a different machine than the one it is
    running on.

    It looks like it can also collected audio from different sources, mix it
    together, and then send it to a sound card.

    Here's a fancy-ass diagram:

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...io-diagram.png

    May have to dig into it a little.

    > Personally I just play all mine over NFS through Amarok.

    Right now, all I want is a minimalist GUI. My main use cases right now
    are:

    Add a URL to the default playlist

    Add a PLS file to the default playlist

    Add a directory of audio files to the default playlist

    Control the playback locally with a tiny GUI

    --
    Dawn, n.:
    The time when men of reason go to bed.

  9. Re: XMMS2 audio server

    Linonut writes:

    > * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> What other audio servers are there? I know of xmms2, mpd, and
    >>> slimserver (a Free Perl app from a proprietary company).

    >> http://www.icecast.org

    > That one is a streaming server, not quite what XMMS2 is.
    >
    >> http://www.pulseaudio.org

    > Interesting. Xmms2 has a pulseaudio plugin ("enables pulseaudio output
    > for xmms2"). The documentation says pulseaudio is like ESD (Enlightened
    > Sound Daemon) but with more features, including allowing an application
    > to play back or record audio on a different machine than the one it is
    > running on.
    >
    > It looks like it can also collected audio from different sources, mix it
    > together, and then send it to a sound card.

    Whats more interesting is that when I highlighted that I *needed* to
    install Pulseaudio to get simultaneous sound sources working I was
    called a liar.

    Pulseaudio in this case can select which of many servers it connects to.

    > Here's a fancy-ass diagram:
    >
    > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...io-diagram.png
    >
    > May have to dig into it a little.

    As usual, Liarnut finds from tech stuff he hasn't a clue about and posts
    it hinting that he's au fait with such. What a fraud.

    >> Personally I just play all mine over NFS through Amarok.

    > Right now, all I want is a minimalist GUI. My main use cases right now
    > are:

    YOu'll find minimalist in xmms alright - was there ever an uglier mm program?

    > Add a URL to the default playlist
    >
    > Add a PLS file to the default playlist
    >
    > Add a directory of audio files to the default playlist

    dont forget recursive.

    And add "to specified playlist" to all those too. Most people construct
    playlists when another one is playing. See Amarok for how not to do it.

    > Control the playback locally with a tiny GUI

    --
    "My college theater antics were the inspiration for Robin
    Williams' character on Mork & Mindy"

+ Reply to Thread