Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding???? - Linux

This is a discussion on Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding???? - Linux ; Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet. Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals, especially on notebooks. There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz, Martii or HPT!! It ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 83

  1. Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.

    Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    especially on notebooks.

    There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz, Martii
    or HPT!!

    It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO.
    You'll never lose it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with
    everything.

    So where is Linux?

    This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the Christmas
    season but yet Linux is once again MIA.

    Poor Linux...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:34:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.

    How many OS X systems were mentioned? Solaris?

    > Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    > especially on notebooks.
    >
    > There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz,
    > Martii or HPT!!
    >
    > It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO. You'll never lose
    > it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with everything.
    >
    > So where is Linux?

    Where is OS X, or Solaris?

    > This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the
    > Christmas season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >
    > Poor Linux...

    Poor you.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:34:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.
    >
    > Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    > especially on notebooks.
    >
    > There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz,
    > Martii or HPT!!
    >
    > It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO. You'll never lose
    > it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with everything.
    >
    > So where is Linux?
    >
    > This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the
    > Christmas season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >
    > Poor Linux...

    Dell buries their Linux machines, it's easier to find the Loch Ness
    monster then it is to find a Linux box on Dell's website. Lenovo is much
    better, they put Linux right out front. HP is much better also. They
    don't offer Linux machines but they do make FreeDos an option on a lot of
    their systems if you look under Small Business instead of Home.

  4. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    "Rick" stated in post
    RLadncDqLeYmMBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/21/08 8:39 AM:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:34:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.

    > How many OS X systems were mentioned? Solaris?

    Why do you focus on OS X so much in a Linux news group?

    --
    The answer to the water shortage is to dilute it.

  5. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:03:10 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > RLadncDqLeYmMBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/21/08 8:39 AM:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:34:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.

    >> How many OS X systems were mentioned? Solaris?

    > Why do you focus on OS X so much in a Linux news group?

    Why are you such a horse's ass?

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:RLadncDqLeYmMBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:34:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.

    > How many OS X systems were mentioned?

    None. Why should that be a surprise since Dell does *NOT* sell OSX but
    supposedly does sell linux.

    > Solaris?

    I don't think that Dell sells Solaris either. And even if they did... this
    is a "back to school" catalog with computers for students, not for the
    server room in some IT department. They didn't mention *mainframes* either
    since about as many students will be buying mainframes as they will Solaris
    servers.

    >> Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    >> especially on notebooks.
    >>
    >> There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz,
    >> Martii or HPT!!
    >>
    >> It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO. You'll never lose
    >> it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with everything.
    >>
    >> So where is Linux?

    > Where is OS X, or Solaris?

    OSX is sold by Apple and it's retailers. Dell does *NOT* sell Mac's so you
    would have to be a pretty big idiot to wonder why Dell doesn't advertise
    computers for their competitors.

    Solaris isn't a appropriate OS for kids returning to school so it doesn't
    take much brains to see why something like Solaris isn't mentioned in a
    "Back to School" catalog for kids.

    On the other hand Dell is supposed to be this big embracer of linux and by
    them selling linux systems it was going to be the end for Microsoft and
    linux would dominate the desktop. Yet when Dell advertises it's computers to
    ordinary consumers linux (once again) gets no mention.

    >> This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the
    >> Christmas season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >>
    >> Poor Linux...

    > Poor you.

    Poor Ricktard. Can't figure out what a Dell catalog doesn't promote OSX from
    one of their competitors. Next he'll be wondering why the Apple catalog
    doesn't promote Dell computers.

    > --
    > Rick

  7. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:37:11 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:RLadncDqLeYmMBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:34:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.

    >> How many OS X systems were mentioned?

    > None. Why should that be a surprise since Dell does *NOT* sell OSX but
    > supposedly does sell linux.

    Not supposedly. They do sell a small number of Linux based systems, and
    they don't advertise it much at all. It is almost a custom service.

    >> Solaris?

    > I don't think that Dell sells Solaris either. And even if they did...
    > this is a "back to school" catalog with computers for students, not for
    > the server room in some IT department. They didn't mention *mainframes*
    > either since about as many students will be buying mainframes as they
    > will Solaris servers.

    And as a "back to school" catalog, why would they feature Linux based
    systems?

    >>> Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    >>> especially on notebooks.
    >>>
    >>> There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz,
    >>> Martii or HPT!!
    >>>
    >>> It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO. You'll never lose
    >>> it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with everything.
    >>>
    >>> So where is Linux?

    >> Where is OS X, or Solaris?

    > OSX is sold by Apple and it's retailers. Dell does *NOT* sell Mac's so
    > you would have to be a pretty big idiot to wonder why Dell doesn't
    > advertise computers for their competitors.
    >
    > Solaris isn't a appropriate OS for kids returning to school so it
    > doesn't take much brains to see why something like Solaris isn't
    > mentioned in a "Back to School" catalog for kids.
    >
    > On the other hand Dell is supposed to be this big embracer of linux and
    > by them selling linux systems it was going to be the end for Microsoft
    > and linux would dominate the desktop. Yet when Dell advertises it's
    > computers to ordinary consumers linux (once again) gets no mention.

    They do sell a small number of Linux based systems, and they don't
    advertise it much at all. It is almost a custom service.

    >>> This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the
    >>> Christmas season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >>>
    >>> Poor Linux...

    >> Poor you.
    >>

    > Poor Ricktard. Can't figure out what a Dell catalog doesn't promote OSX
    > from one of their competitors. Next he'll be wondering why the Apple
    > catalog doesn't promote Dell computers.

    Poor Ezekiel astroll, he just can't stand the fact that Linux based
    systems are being sold, and used.

    >> --
    >> Rick

    And he doesn't seem to be able to get his news reader to work.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    "Rick" stated in post
    RLadncPqLeZwJxnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/21/08 9:35 AM:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:03:10 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> RLadncDqLeYmMBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/21/08 8:39 AM:

    >>> How many OS X systems were mentioned? Solaris?

    >> Why do you focus on OS X so much in a Linux news group?

    > Why are you such a horse's ass?

    I asked a legitimate question - you often whine about me posting about OS
    X... but I bet a greater percentage of your posts bring up OS X than do
    mine.

    You are a hypocrite... and when I point it out you call me names.

    Oh well.

    --
    "And so, in no sense, is stability a reason to move to a new version. Itıs
    never a reason." - Bill Gates

  9. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    Snit wrote:
    > "Rick" stated in post
    > RLadncPqLeZwJxnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/21/08 9:35 AM:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:03:10 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> RLadncDqLeYmMBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/21/08 8:39 AM:

    >>> Why do you focus on OS X so much in a Linux news group?

    >> Why are you such a horse's ass?
    >>

    > I asked a legitimate question

    BZZZZZTTT!!!!

  10. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    "chrisv" stated in post
    4884c16d$0$5447$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com on 7/21/08 10:02 AM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> RLadncPqLeZwJxnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/21/08 9:35 AM:

    >>> Why are you such a horse's ass?
    >>>

    >> I asked a legitimate question

    > BZZZZZTTT!!!!

    And you snipped.

    Rick often talks about my mentioning OS X... thus it is completely fair for
    me to ask him why he brings it up so much.

    He had no answer for his hypocrisy... hence his name calling.

    --
    Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    like if the Lamarckian view of evolution had ended up being accepted

  11. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:RLadncLqLeYDIBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:37:11 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:RLadncDqLeYmMBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> How many OS X systems were mentioned?

    >> None. Why should that be a surprise since Dell does *NOT* sell OSX but
    >> supposedly does sell linux.

    > Not supposedly. They do sell a small number of Linux based systems, and
    > they don't advertise it much at all. It is almost a custom service.

    So much for taking over the desktop then if the only way to get linux from
    Dell is as some sort of "custom service" like approach.

    >>> Solaris?

    >> I don't think that Dell sells Solaris either. And even if they did...
    >> this is a "back to school" catalog with computers for students, not for
    >> the server room in some IT department. They didn't mention *mainframes*
    >> either since about as many students will be buying mainframes as they
    >> will Solaris servers.

    > And as a "back to school" catalog, why would they feature Linux based
    > systems?

    According to "advocates" here linux is incredibly easy to use and more than
    ready for the desktop. If linux were truly ready for the desktop and
    consumers then why wouldn't Dell put linux in there catalog? (It's a
    multi-page catalog... at least mention it once!)

    >>> Where is OS X, or Solaris?

    >> OSX is sold by Apple and it's retailers. Dell does *NOT* sell Mac's so
    >> you would have to be a pretty big idiot to wonder why Dell doesn't
    >> advertise computers for their competitors.
    >>
    >> Solaris isn't a appropriate OS for kids returning to school so it
    >> doesn't take much brains to see why something like Solaris isn't
    >> mentioned in a "Back to School" catalog for kids.
    >>
    >> On the other hand Dell is supposed to be this big embracer of linux and
    >> by them selling linux systems it was going to be the end for Microsoft
    >> and linux would dominate the desktop. Yet when Dell advertises it's
    >> computers to ordinary consumers linux (once again) gets no mention.

    > They do sell a small number of Linux based systems, and they don't
    > advertise it much at all. It is almost a custom service.

    Why don't they advertise it? Could it be that Dell did try advertising linux
    and learned that there is zero to no return for their advertising dollar.

    >>> Poor you.
    >>>

    >> Poor Ricktard. Can't figure out what a Dell catalog doesn't promote OSX
    >> from one of their competitors. Next he'll be wondering why the Apple
    >> catalog doesn't promote Dell computers.

    > Poor Ezekiel astroll, he just can't stand the fact that Linux based
    > systems are being sold, and used.

    Sold and used by who? Dell refuses to even mention them once in a multi-page
    catalog. According to *you* getting a linux machine from Dell is practically
    a "custom service" and you have to know to ask for it. Given this it's
    reasonable to assume that consumer linux sales at Dell are pretty bad and
    it's just a matter of time before Dell abandons linux like they did the last
    time. And the "advocate" liars here will post nonsense conspiracy theories
    of how Michael Dell was forced by Microsoft not to sell linux.

    >>> --
    >>> Rick

    > And he doesn't seem to be able to get his news reader to work.
    >

    > --
    > Rick

  12. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    Snit wrote:
    > "chrisv" stated in post
    > 4884c16d$0$5447$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com on 7/21/08 10:02 AM:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> RLadncPqLeZwJxnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/21/08 9:35 AM:

    >>> I asked a legitimate question

    >> BZZZZZTTT!!!!
    >>

    > And you snipped.

    Your question wasn't legitimate. One usually gets snipped at the first lie.

  13. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    "chrisv" stated in post
    4884d0a8$0$5454$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com on 7/21/08 11:07 AM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "chrisv" stated in post
    >> 4884c16d$0$5447$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com on 7/21/08 10:02 AM:

    >>> BZZZZZTTT!!!!
    >>>

    >> And you snipped.

    > Your question wasn't legitimate. One usually gets snipped at the first lie.

    And now you are showing you have no desire to act in a moral way. OK.

    I shall give you one more chance: given that Rick often asks me about my
    bringing up of OS X (though he could not find examples when asked) what do
    you think is not legitimate about my asking him?

    You will - of course - run. But at least I have given you many chances to
    show you are not just trolling. I am very kind that way.

    --
    Projects should really look to the whole Linux desktop and see how they can
    appeal to both sides.

  14. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:34:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.
    >
    > Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    > especially on notebooks.
    >
    > There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz,
    > Martii or HPT!!
    >
    > It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO. You'll never lose
    > it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with everything.
    >
    > So where is Linux?
    >
    > This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the
    > Christmas season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >
    > Poor Linux...

  15. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    In article ,
    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > Dell buries their Linux machines, it's easier to find the Loch Ness
    > monster then it is to find a Linux box on Dell's website.

    Not really. Starting from www.dell.com:

    Clicked "Home and Home Office" in the "shop" section at the bottom.

    Clicked "Open-Source PCs" in the "PC Operating Systems" section in
    the left sidebar.

    Clicked "Shop for Ubuntu".

    That wasn't very hard.

    > Lenovo is much better, they put Linux right out front.

    I've never been to lenovo.com before, at least that I recall. So let's
    see how long it takes me to find Linux.

    Clicked "Notebooks".

    Clicked "Linux".

    OK, one less step at Lenovo, because I didn't have to first declare what
    kind of use I intended for the machine.

    If I had declared my intended use, let's see what would have happened.

    Clicked "Home and Home Office".

    I now have to choose a series, or I can click "Browse all Lenovo
    notebooks". If I do that, I get a page that has a Linux link. So,
    three steps, same as Dell.

    If I go down the path of choosing a series, it looks like I no longer am
    presented with a Linux option. It just leads to specific models, and
    their customization pages, which don't seem to offer an OS choice.

    It doesn't seem to me that Lenovo is a clear winner here.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  16. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    In article ,
    Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:34:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    > > Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.

    > How many OS X systems were mentioned? Solaris?

    Dell has asked to sell OS X, and their request was denied.

    Unless you are hinting that Dell wanted to put Linux in their booklet,
    but were unable to obtain permission, your mention of OS X is
    *completely* irrelevant.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  17. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >Snit wrote:

    Ignore the forger.

    Sn^Hhit is on my lifetime kill-file list.

  18. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    "Tim Smith" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> Dell buries their Linux machines, it's easier to find the Loch Ness
    >> monster then it is to find a Linux box on Dell's website.

    > Not really. Starting from www.dell.com:
    >
    > Clicked "Home and Home Office" in the "shop" section at the bottom.

    No problem so far. Most people would probably do this.

    > Clicked "Open-Source PCs" in the "PC Operating Systems" section in
    > the left sidebar.

    This is where it falls apart. After you first click on "Home and Home
    Office" the main content of the page (with the large colorful photos) shows
    laptops, desktops, etc which is the "path" that nearly all visitors to the
    website will follow. People who are interested in a laptop will click to
    "Browse Laptops" and desktop shoppers will "Browse Desktop" systems.

    At this stage of the buying process few people are going to look at the
    small-font along the left side of the screen for something that says
    "Open-Source PCs" unless they already have their mind made up to purchase
    one before they go to the website.

    Technically "open source PCs" are on the Dell website but it's not in a
    location that's likely to attract any interest or attention for site
    visitors. Now if the page had a huge colorful link to "Open-Source PCs" the
    same way they have for Desktops and Laptops then it would be a different
    story. But a small text-only link burried somewhere on the page simply isn't
    going to pull in the same number of hits as the other items.

    > Clicked "Shop for Ubuntu".
    >
    > That wasn't very hard.
    >
    >> Lenovo is much better, they put Linux right out front.

    > I've never been to lenovo.com before, at least that I recall. So let's
    > see how long it takes me to find Linux.
    >
    > Clicked "Notebooks".
    >
    > Clicked "Linux".
    >
    > OK, one less step at Lenovo, because I didn't have to first declare what
    > kind of use I intended for the machine.
    >
    > If I had declared my intended use, let's see what would have happened.
    >
    > Clicked "Home and Home Office".
    >
    > I now have to choose a series, or I can click "Browse all Lenovo
    > notebooks". If I do that, I get a page that has a Linux link. So,
    > three steps, same as Dell.
    >
    > If I go down the path of choosing a series, it looks like I no longer am
    > presented with a Linux option. It just leads to specific models, and
    > their customization pages, which don't seem to offer an OS choice.
    >
    > It doesn't seem to me that Lenovo is a clear winner here.
    >
    > --
    > --Tim Smith

  19. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:11:25 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "chrisv" stated in post
    > 4884d0a8$0$5454$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com on 7/21/08 11:07 AM:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>> "chrisv" stated in post
    >>> 4884c16d$0$5447$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com on 7/21/08 10:02 AM:

    You did not. You missed the Solaris part.

    >>> And you snipped.

    >> Your question wasn't legitimate. One usually gets snipped at the first
    >> lie.
    >>

    > And now you are showing you have no desire to act in a moral way. OK.
    >
    > I shall give you one more chance: given that Rick often asks me about my
    > bringing up of OS X (though he could not find examples when asked) what
    > do you think is not legitimate about my asking him?

    You're a liar. I chided you for pushing OS X, not bringing it up, and I
    did give examples, which you dismissed.

    > You will - of course - run. But at least I have given you many chances
    > to show you are not just trolling. I am very kind that way.

    --
    Rick

  20. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    > Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.
    >
    > Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    > especially on notebooks.
    >
    > There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz, Martii
    > or HPT!!
    >
    > It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO.
    > You'll never lose it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with
    > everything.
    >
    > So where is Linux?
    >
    > This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the Christmas
    > season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >
    > Poor Linux...
    >

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    Why would they mention Linsux? There are only 2 people that might want it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast