Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding???? - Linux

This is a discussion on Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding???? - Linux ; Hadron wrote: > Chipmunk writes: > >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote: >>> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet. >>> >>> Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals, >>> especially on notebooks. >>> >>> There ...

  1. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    Hadron wrote:
    > Chipmunk writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.
    >>>
    >>> Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    >>> especially on notebooks.
    >>>
    >>> There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz, Martii
    >>> or HPT!!
    >>>
    >>> It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO.
    >>> You'll never lose it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with
    >>> everything.
    >>>
    >>> So where is Linux?
    >>>
    >>> This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the Christmas
    >>> season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >>>
    >>> Poor Linux...
    >>>

    >> Well it goes something like this, if a manufacturer, distributor or
    >> retailer wishes to supply their computers with MS windows installed they
    >> get a licence from MS which, shall we say, limits their ability to
    >> advertise or display some alternative OS's. I asked the manager of a
    >> local branch of a well known computer store why he did not display any
    >> of the linux distros he sells on any of the display computers, he said
    >> doing so would breach the companies licence agreement with MS.

    > Rubbish. I know many stores which sell Mac and Windows ans, in some
    > cases, Linux.
    >
    > This makes you another paranoid liar.

    Fascinating response! very poor attempt an trolling though. Next time i
    suggest you try reading a post before attempting to engage in unreasoned
    argument and/or personal insults. Welcome to my kill file Mr.Troll.

  2. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    Chipmunk wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Chipmunk writes:

    >>> Well it goes something like this, if a manufacturer, distributor or
    >>> retailer wishes to supply their computers with MS windows installed
    >>> they get a licence from MS which, shall we say, limits their
    >>> ability to advertise or display some alternative OS's. I asked the
    >>> manager of a local branch of a well known computer store why he did
    >>> not display any of the linux distros he sells on any of the display
    >>> computers, he said doing so would breach the companies licence
    >>> agreement with MS.

    >> Rubbish. I know many stores which sell Mac and Windows ans, in some
    >> cases, Linux.
    >>
    >> This makes you another paranoid liar.

    > Fascinating response! very poor attempt an trolling though. Next time
    > i suggest you try reading a post before attempting to engage in
    > unreasoned argument and/or personal insults. Welcome to my kill file
    > Mr.Troll.

    Since I agree with him, add me to your killfile too.

  3. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:07:25 GMT, Chipmunk wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Chipmunk writes:

    >>> Well it goes something like this, if a manufacturer, distributor or
    >>> retailer wishes to supply their computers with MS windows installed they
    >>> get a licence from MS which, shall we say, limits their ability to
    >>> advertise or display some alternative OS's. I asked the manager of a
    >>> local branch of a well known computer store why he did not display any
    >>> of the linux distros he sells on any of the display computers, he said
    >>> doing so would breach the companies licence agreement with MS.

    >> Rubbish. I know many stores which sell Mac and Windows ans, in some
    >> cases, Linux.
    >>
    >> This makes you another paranoid liar.

    > Fascinating response! very poor attempt an trolling though. Next time i
    > suggest you try reading a post before attempting to engage in unreasoned
    > argument and/or personal insults. Welcome to my kill file Mr.Troll.

    Can't be much of a killfile seeing as Google shows you making all of 19
    posts............

    hmmmmmm.....
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    chrisv writes:

    > skydweller wrote:

    >>> Rubbish. I know many stores which sell Mac and Windows ans, in some
    >>> cases, Linux.
    >>>
    >>> This makes you another paranoid liar.

    >>The retailer referenced by Mr. Chipmunk actually *does* sell linux - he
    >>stated as much. His point was that there were no display computers
    >>running that OS.

    > Exactly. This makes Quack a fscking piece of ****. This makes Quack
    > a fscking asshole. This makes Quack a liar. This makes Quack a
    > creep.
    >
    > You see, Quack? For *zero* reason, you called someone a "paranoid
    > liar". This makes you a fscking piece of ****. This makes you a
    > fscking asshole. This makes you a liar. This makes you a creep.

    Actually it makes you an idiot. The comment above:

    "advertise or display some alternative OS's"

    is what I was referring to. And I can assure the stores I know advertise
    and display to their hearts content.

    --
    I really think XP is going to be a flop. Between the glut of hardware out
    there (and slowing down of purchasing), and the fact that W2K is

  5. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >Chipmunk wrote:
    >>
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>> This makes you another paranoid liar.

    >> Fascinating response! very poor attempt an trolling though. Next time
    >> i suggest you try reading a post before attempting to engage in
    >> unreasoned argument and/or personal insults. Welcome to my kill file
    >> Mr.Troll.

    Good call. I plonked the "Hadron" asshole ages ago.

    P.S. Be wary of forgeries.

    >Since I agree with him, add me to your killfile too.

    Ignore the forger.

  6. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:46:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > chrisv writes:
    >
    >> skydweller wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Hadron" Quack puked:

    >>>The retailer referenced by Mr. Chipmunk actually *does* sell linux - he
    >>>stated as much. His point was that there were no display computers
    >>>running that OS.

    >> Exactly. This makes Quack a fscking piece of ****. This makes Quack a
    >> fscking asshole. This makes Quack a liar. This makes Quack a creep.
    >>
    >> You see, Quack? For *zero* reason, you called someone a "paranoid
    >> liar". This makes you a fscking piece of ****. This makes you a
    >> fscking asshole. This makes you a liar. This makes you a creep.
    >>

    > Actually it makes you an idiot. The comment above:
    >
    > "advertise or display some alternative OS's"
    >
    > is what I was referring to. And I can assure the stores I know advertise
    > and display to their hearts content.

    Which stores were those again? I'm interested in the ones with display
    computers running something eye-catching like, say, Mandriva Spring 2008
    with compiz-fusion. Display this next to Vista (preferably on a low-spec
    machine that would have trouble *booting* Vista), and people would wonder
    why they should pay premium $$$ for an inferior product. I'm sure that's
    how you discovered Linux yourself.

    I'm in New Jersey (US) and I still haven't seen anything of the sort in
    any store. I'm dying to see your list of stores, as are others, I'm
    sure. Please hurry, I can't stand the suspense.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  7. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:
    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Chipmunk wrote:

    >>> Fascinating response! very poor attempt an trolling though. Next
    >>> time i suggest you try reading a post before attempting to engage in
    >>> unreasoned argument and/or personal insults. Welcome to my kill file
    >>> Mr.Troll.

    > Good call. I plonked the "Hadron" asshole ages ago.
    >
    > P.S. Be wary of forgeries.

    That wasn't Hadron? Missed that one...

  8. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    In article ,
    Chipmunk wrote:
    > advertise or display some alternative OS's. I asked the manager of a
    > local branch of a well known computer store why he did not display any
    > of the linux distros he sells on any of the display computers, he said
    > doing so would breach the companies licence agreement with MS.

    Why would a manager of a local branch know that?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    skydweller writes:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:46:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> chrisv writes:

    >>> Exactly. This makes Quack a fscking piece of ****. This makes Quack a
    >>> fscking asshole. This makes Quack a liar. This makes Quack a creep.
    >>>
    >>> You see, Quack? For *zero* reason, you called someone a "paranoid
    >>> liar". This makes you a fscking piece of ****. This makes you a
    >>> fscking asshole. This makes you a liar. This makes you a creep.
    >>>

    >> Actually it makes you an idiot. The comment above:
    >>
    >> "advertise or display some alternative OS's"
    >>
    >> is what I was referring to. And I can assure the stores I know advertise
    >> and display to their hearts content.

    > Which stores were those again? I'm interested in the ones with display
    > computers running something eye-catching like, say, Mandriva Spring 2008
    > with compiz-fusion. Display this next to Vista (preferably on a low-spec
    > machine that would have trouble *booting* Vista), and people would wonder
    > why they should pay premium $$$ for an inferior product. I'm sure that's
    > how you discovered Linux yourself.
    >
    > I'm in New Jersey (US) and I still haven't seen anything of the sort in
    > any store. I'm dying to see your list of stores, as are others, I'm
    > sure. Please hurry, I can't stand the suspense.

    Not that I need to, but I've seen Linux and Windows side by side in
    Walmart. In saturn I see Windows and Mac.

    There are various smaller retail stores which do the same.

    You're a paranoid nutcase.

    --
    I really think XP is going to be a flop. Between the glut of hardware out
    there (and slowing down of purchasing), and the fact that W2K is
    sufficient for so many casual users.... I just don't see it taking off.

  10. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > So where is Linux?

    If it didn't bother you, you wouldn't troll about it, would you?

    Confess: your paymasters are seriously worried that Linux is the most
    serious threat to their undeserved former monopoly.

  11. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:29:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > skydweller writes:

    >>> Actually it makes you an idiot. The comment above:
    >>>
    >>> "advertise or display some alternative OS's"
    >>>
    >>> is what I was referring to. And I can assure the stores I know advertise
    >>> and display to their hearts content.

    >> Which stores were those again? I'm interested in the ones with display
    >> computers running something eye-catching like, say, Mandriva Spring 2008
    >> with compiz-fusion. Display this next to Vista (preferably on a low-spec
    >> machine that would have trouble *booting* Vista), and people would wonder
    >> why they should pay premium $$$ for an inferior product. I'm sure that's
    >> how you discovered Linux yourself.
    >>
    >> I'm in New Jersey (US) and I still haven't seen anything of the sort in
    >> any store. I'm dying to see your list of stores, as are others, I'm
    >> sure. Please hurry, I can't stand the suspense.

    > Not that I need to, but I've seen Linux and Windows side by side in
    > Walmart. In saturn I see Windows and Mac.
    >
    > There are various smaller retail stores which do the same.
    >
    > You're a paranoid nutcase.

    The Walmart near where I live used to have Linux running.
    So did MEI Microcenter at one time.

    Not anymore though.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:30:46 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> So where is Linux?

    > If it didn't bother you, you wouldn't troll about it, would you?

    Somebody has to correct you Linux loons.

    > Confess: your paymasters are seriously worried that Linux is the most
    > serious threat to their undeserved former monopoly.

    I don't get paid to do this, unlike other people around here who get paid
    to SPAM Microsoft hate all over the globe.

    As for a threat to Microsoft, of course Linux is a threat.
    In the server market.
    Maybe in 20 years on the desktop, at the current rate.
    OSX is Microsoft's biggest worry for desktop right now.

    However, Microsoft or any other company would be foolish to ignore Linux
    because the public is fickle and Linux is changing and improving, somewhat,
    all the time.

    All it would take is for Linux to come up with some idea that is so
    revolutionary and in demand by the general public for it to become very
    popular, very quickly.

    However, as long as Linux keeps trying to copy Microsoft Windows, and not
    doing it very well, Linux is doomed to fail.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:30:46 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> So where is Linux?

    >> If it didn't bother you, you wouldn't troll about it, would you?

    > Somebody has to correct you Linux loons.
    >
    >> Confess: your paymasters are seriously worried that Linux is the most
    >> serious threat to their undeserved former monopoly.

    > I don't get paid to do this, unlike other people around here who get paid
    > to SPAM Microsoft hate all over the globe.
    >
    > As for a threat to Microsoft, of course Linux is a threat.
    > In the server market.
    > Maybe in 20 years on the desktop, at the current rate.
    > OSX is Microsoft's biggest worry for desktop right now.
    >
    > However, Microsoft or any other company would be foolish to ignore Linux
    > because the public is fickle and Linux is changing and improving, somewhat,
    > all the time.
    >
    > All it would take is for Linux to come up with some idea that is so
    > revolutionary and in demand by the general public for it to become very
    > popular, very quickly.
    >
    > However, as long as Linux keeps trying to copy Microsoft Windows, and not
    > doing it very well, Linux is doomed to fail.

    Personally, I think that all OSes have their good and bad points. I use
    XP and Ubuntu. Soon I will be forced to use Vista to play DirectX10
    games. What's the big deal about which to use and which to not use when
    you can use them all?

    Alias

  14. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:29:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > skydweller writes:

    >>> Actually it makes you an idiot. The comment above:
    >>>
    >>> "advertise or display some alternative OS's"
    >>>
    >>> is what I was referring to. And I can assure the stores I know
    >>> advertise and display to their hearts content.

    >> Which stores were those again? I'm interested in the ones with display
    >> computers running something eye-catching like, say, Mandriva Spring
    >> 2008 with compiz-fusion. Display this next to Vista (preferably on a
    >> low-spec machine that would have trouble *booting* Vista), and people
    >> would wonder why they should pay premium $$$ for an inferior product.
    >> I'm sure that's how you discovered Linux yourself.
    >>
    >> I'm in New Jersey (US) and I still haven't seen anything of the sort in
    >> any store. I'm dying to see your list of stores, as are others, I'm
    >> sure. Please hurry, I can't stand the suspense.

    > Not that I need to, but I've seen Linux and Windows side by side in
    > Walmart. In saturn I see Windows and Mac.
    >
    > There are various smaller retail stores which do the same.
    >
    > You're a paranoid nutcase.

    A few things:

    1) This is a linux newsgroup, I don't care about macs.

    2) I'm glad WalMart is doing the right thing. I'll check the one on Rt.
    59 and report back.

    3) It appears you are grammar-challenged; at the moment, you are
    confusing the singular with the plural. You mentioned *one* store
    (singular) which has a linux display computer, yet earlier in this thread
    you twice referred to *stores* (plural). Perhaps you are also
    experiencing memory loss; allow me to help. Pick one out of the
    following list which might have a linux computer on display:

    Best Buy
    Circuit City
    Comp USA
    Staples
    Office Depot
    Office Max

    4) Your dictionary of epithets is woefully underpopulated. "Paranoid
    nutcase" and "paranoid liar" in the same thread?!? Surely you can do
    better than that.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  15. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    "skydweller" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:29:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    > 3) It appears you are grammar-challenged; at the moment, you are
    > confusing the singular with the plural. You mentioned *one* store
    > (singular) which has a linux display computer, yet earlier in this thread
    > you twice referred to *stores* (plural). Perhaps you are also
    > experiencing memory loss; allow me to help. Pick one out of the
    > following list which might have a linux computer on display:
    >
    > Best Buy
    > Circuit City
    > Comp USA
    > Staples
    > Office Depot
    > Office Max

    None of these stores display mainframes or SPARC servers either. Obviously
    the reason is that Microsoft signed a secret OEM deal with them that
    prevents them from displaying Windows side-by-side with mainframes and SPARC
    servers.

  16. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    "Tim Smith" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Chipmunk wrote:
    >> advertise or display some alternative OS's. I asked the manager of a
    >> local branch of a well known computer store why he did not display any
    >> of the linux distros he sells on any of the display computers, he said
    >> doing so would breach the companies licence agreement with MS.

    > Why would a manager of a local branch know that?

    For some reason every time one of these stories is told the
    assistant-manager, local manager, sales person and the cashier all seem to
    know ever little detail about the "secret OEM contracts" that the corporate
    headquarters signed with Microsoft.

    > --
    > --Tim Smith

  17. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:57:17 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "skydweller" wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:29:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> 3) It appears you are grammar-challenged; at the moment, you are
    >> confusing the singular with the plural. You mentioned *one* store
    >> (singular) which has a linux display computer, yet earlier in this
    >> thread you twice referred to *stores* (plural). Perhaps you are also
    >> experiencing memory loss; allow me to help. Pick one out of the
    >> following list which might have a linux computer on display:
    >>
    >> Best Buy
    >> Circuit City
    >> Comp USA
    >> Staples
    >> Office Depot
    >> Office Max
    >>

    > None of these stores display mainframes or SPARC servers either.
    > Obviously the reason is that Microsoft signed a secret OEM deal with
    > them that prevents them from displaying Windows side-by-side with
    > mainframes and SPARC servers.

    I didn't know that mainframes and SPARC workstations were consumer items,
    but you've piqued my interest. Where can I buy those?

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  18. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:59:07 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Tim Smith" wrote in message

    sjc.supernews.net...
    >> In article , Chipmunk
    >> wrote:
    >>> advertise or display some alternative OS's. I asked the manager of a
    >>> local branch of a well known computer store why he did not display any
    >>> of the linux distros he sells on any of the display computers, he said
    >>> doing so would breach the companies licence agreement with MS.

    >> Why would a manager of a local branch know that?

    > For some reason every time one of these stories is told the
    > assistant-manager, local manager, sales person and the cashier all seem
    > to know ever little detail about the "secret OEM contracts" that the
    > corporate headquarters signed with Microsoft.
    >

    >> --
    >> --Tim Smith

    Come on, everybody knows it's the sanitation guy. I saw him in Dilbert.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  19. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    skydweller writes:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:57:17 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "skydweller" wrote in message
    >>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:29:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>> 3) It appears you are grammar-challenged; at the moment, you are
    >>> confusing the singular with the plural. You mentioned *one* store
    >>> (singular) which has a linux display computer, yet earlier in this
    >>> thread you twice referred to *stores* (plural). Perhaps you are also
    >>> experiencing memory loss; allow me to help. Pick one out of the
    >>> following list which might have a linux computer on display:
    >>>
    >>> Best Buy
    >>> Circuit City
    >>> Comp USA
    >>> Staples
    >>> Office Depot
    >>> Office Max
    >>>

    >> None of these stores display mainframes or SPARC servers either.
    >> Obviously the reason is that Microsoft signed a secret OEM deal with
    >> them that prevents them from displaying Windows side-by-side with
    >> mainframes and SPARC servers.

    > I didn't know that mainframes and SPARC workstations were consumer items,
    > but you've piqued my interest. Where can I buy those?

    ebay for a start.

    --
    If you take both of those factors together then WinXP is a flop, selling
    *less* than Win 98 by a factor of two.

  20. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    >On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:46:45 +0200, Hadron quacked:
    >>
    >> Actually it makes you an idiot.

    Wrong again, fsckwit.

    >>The comment above:
    >>
    >> "advertise or display some alternative OS's"
    >>
    >> is what I was referring to.

    I don't care what you claim you were "referring to", fsckwit. What
    you were responding-to was this:

    A direct observation (no LINUX machines on display) was made. A
    question was asked and answered as indicated above.

    It was a fair and honest anecdote. You had NO REASON to sling insults
    like "paranoid liar", you fscking ASSHOLE.