Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding???? - Linux

This is a discussion on Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding???? - Linux ; On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:05:54 -0400, Ezekiel wrote: > "Rick" wrote in message > news:RLadncLqLeYDIBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.co m... >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:37:11 -0400, Ezekiel wrote: >> >>> "Rick" wrote in message >>> news:RLadncDqLeYmMBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.co m... >>>> On Mon, 21 ...

  1. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:05:54 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:RLadncLqLeYDIBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:37:11 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" wrote in message
    >>> news:RLadncDqLeYmMBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> None. Why should that be a surprise since Dell does *NOT* sell OSX but
    >>> supposedly does sell linux.

    >> Not supposedly. They do sell a small number of Linux based systems, and
    >> they don't advertise it much at all. It is almost a custom service.

    > So much for taking over the desktop then if the only way to get linux
    > from Dell is as some sort of "custom service" like approach.

    Why do you think I am pushing "taking over the desktop", and why do you
    think Dell would be crucial?

    >>> I don't think that Dell sells Solaris either. And even if they did...
    >>> this is a "back to school" catalog with computers for students, not
    >>> for the server room in some IT department. They didn't mention
    >>> *mainframes* either since about as many students will be buying
    >>> mainframes as they will Solaris servers.

    >> And as a "back to school" catalog, why would they feature Linux based
    >> systems?

    > According to "advocates" here linux is incredibly easy to use and more
    > than ready for the desktop.

    Linux based systems can be easy to use, and since doctors, lawyers, stock
    brokers, movie studio artists, government employees scientists and
    Taiwanese housewives seem to be able to use it on the desktop, it must be
    ready for somebodies desktop.

    > If linux were truly ready for the desktop
    > and consumers then why wouldn't Dell put linux in there catalog? (It's a
    > multi-page catalog... at least mention it once!)

    Lack of demand. People have Windows machines. They are comfortable with
    Windows machines. Many of them don't even know there are choices.

    >>> OSX is sold by Apple and it's retailers. Dell does *NOT* sell Mac's so
    >>> you would have to be a pretty big idiot to wonder why Dell doesn't
    >>> advertise computers for their competitors.
    >>>
    >>> Solaris isn't a appropriate OS for kids returning to school so it
    >>> doesn't take much brains to see why something like Solaris isn't
    >>> mentioned in a "Back to School" catalog for kids.
    >>>
    >>> On the other hand Dell is supposed to be this big embracer of linux
    >>> and by them selling linux systems it was going to be the end for
    >>> Microsoft and linux would dominate the desktop. Yet when Dell
    >>> advertises it's computers to ordinary consumers linux (once again)
    >>> gets no mention.

    >> They do sell a small number of Linux based systems, and they don't
    >> advertise it much at all. It is almost a custom service.

    > Why don't they advertise it? Could it be that Dell did try advertising
    > linux and learned that there is zero to no return for their advertising
    > dollar.

    That could be true.

    >>> Poor Ricktard. Can't figure out what a Dell catalog doesn't promote
    >>> OSX from one of their competitors. Next he'll be wondering why the
    >>> Apple catalog doesn't promote Dell computers.

    >> Poor Ezekiel astroll, he just can't stand the fact that Linux based
    >> systems are being sold, and used.

    > Sold and used by who?

    WalMart. For One.

    > Dell refuses to even mention them once in a
    > multi-page catalog.

    ... multi-page back to school catalog.

    > According to *you* getting a linux machine from Dell
    > is practically a "custom service" and you have to know to ask for it.
    > Given this it's reasonable to assume that consumer linux sales at Dell
    > are pretty bad and it's just a matter of time before Dell abandons linux
    > like they did the last time.

    That is quite an extrapolation you have going there. too bad it is
    probably flawed.

    > And the "advocate" liars here will post
    > nonsense conspiracy theories of how Michael Dell was forced by Microsoft
    > not to sell linux.

    .... as opposed to the untruths you post ?

    >>> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    >> And he doesn't seem to be able to get his news reader to work.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Rick

    And he doesn't seem to be able to get his news reader to work.

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    On 2008-07-21, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:RLadncDqLeYmMBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:34:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.

    >> How many OS X systems were mentioned?

    > None. Why should that be a surprise since Dell does *NOT* sell OSX but
    > supposedly does sell linux.
    >

    >> Solaris?

    > I don't think that Dell sells Solaris either. And even if they did... this
    > is a "back to school" catalog with computers for students, not for the

    The first place I ever saw Sun kit for sale was in my school bookstore.

    They were sold alongside the Macintoshes.

    They had A/UX machines for sale as well.

    > server room in some IT department. They didn't mention *mainframes* either
    > since about as many students will be buying mainframes as they will Solaris
    > servers.

    [deletia]

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \

  3. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    On 2008-07-21, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> Dell buries their Linux machines, it's easier to find the Loch Ness
    >> monster then it is to find a Linux box on Dell's website.

    > Not really. Starting from www.dell.com:
    >
    > Clicked "Home and Home Office" in the "shop" section at the bottom.
    >
    > Clicked "Open-Source PCs" in the "PC Operating Systems" section in
    > the left sidebar.
    >
    > Clicked "Shop for Ubuntu".

    ....which is "fine" so long as you know that Ubuntu -> Linux.

    Although even that is rather obscure considering that you have to go
    through a link labeled "open source PCs" to get it.

    Any navigation should be straight and to the point.

    [deletia]

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \
    want to play nicely with everyone else's data (namely mine). I'd
    rather create a DVD using those Linux apps we're told don't exist.

  4. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:37:11 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:RLadncDqLeYmMBnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:34:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.

    >> How many OS X systems were mentioned?

    > None. Why should that be a surprise since Dell does *NOT* sell OSX but
    > supposedly does sell linux.
    >

    >> Solaris?

    > I don't think that Dell sells Solaris either. And even if they did... this
    > is a "back to school" catalog with computers for students, not for the
    > server room in some IT department. They didn't mention *mainframes* either
    > since about as many students will be buying mainframes as they will Solaris
    > servers.
    >

    >>> Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    >>> especially on notebooks.
    >>>
    >>> There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz,
    >>> Martii or HPT!!
    >>>
    >>> It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO. You'll never lose
    >>> it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with everything.
    >>>
    >>> So where is Linux?

    >> Where is OS X, or Solaris?

    > OSX is sold by Apple and it's retailers. Dell does *NOT* sell Mac's so you
    > would have to be a pretty big idiot to wonder why Dell doesn't advertise
    > computers for their competitors.
    >
    > Solaris isn't a appropriate OS for kids returning to school so it doesn't
    > take much brains to see why something like Solaris isn't mentioned in a
    > "Back to School" catalog for kids.
    >
    > On the other hand Dell is supposed to be this big embracer of linux and by
    > them selling linux systems it was going to be the end for Microsoft and
    > linux would dominate the desktop. Yet when Dell advertises it's computers to
    > ordinary consumers linux (once again) gets no mention.
    >

    >>> This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the
    >>> Christmas season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >>>
    >>> Poor Linux...

    >> Poor you.
    >>

    > Poor Ricktard. Can't figure out what a Dell catalog doesn't promote OSX from
    > one of their competitors. Next he'll be wondering why the Apple catalog
    > doesn't promote Dell computers.
    >

    >> --
    >> Rick

    The simple concepts go right over Rick's head....

    I'll bet he walks into his local Honda dealer and asks where the Corvettes
    are parked.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    "Rick" stated in post
    RLadnfjqLeYVRhnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/21/08 11:55 AM:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:11:25 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "chrisv" stated in post
    >> 4884d0a8$0$5454$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com on 7/21/08 11:07 AM:

    > You did not. You missed the Solaris part.

    I do did not say you had not talked about *other* OSs, I noted - correctly -
    that you brought up OS X.

    Again.

    You do that quite often. Frankly I do not have a problem with that, but
    when you deride me for doing as you do you show hypocrisy.

    >>> Your question wasn't legitimate. One usually gets snipped at the first
    >>> lie.
    >>>

    >> And now you are showing you have no desire to act in a moral way. OK.
    >>
    >> I shall give you one more chance: given that Rick often asks me about my
    >> bringing up of OS X (though he could not find examples when asked) what
    >> do you think is not legitimate about my asking him?

    > You're a liar. I chided you for pushing OS X, not bringing it up, and I
    > did give examples, which you dismissed.

    You gave two examples - one was completely absurd... clearly *not* what you
    claimed it was. The other was only very marginally - at best. Face it, you
    flopped on your face - you made an accusation you could not support.

    --
    You really have to give credit to Apple for driving innovation.

  6. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JEDIDIAH

    wrote
    on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:07:50 -0500
    :
    > On 2008-07-21, Tim Smith wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >>> Dell buries their Linux machines, it's easier to find the Loch Ness
    >>> monster then it is to find a Linux box on Dell's website.

    >> Not really. Starting from www.dell.com:
    >>
    >> Clicked "Home and Home Office" in the "shop" section at the bottom.

    Which they've moved, thank goodness; the old implementation
    got hidden, presumably because of a z-ordering miscode.

    >> Clicked "Open-Source PCs" in the "PC Operating Systems" section in
    >> the left sidebar.
    >>
    >> Clicked "Shop for Ubuntu".

    > ...which is "fine" so long as you know that Ubuntu -> Linux.
    >
    > Although even that is rather obscure considering that you have to go
    > through a link labeled "open source PCs" to get it.

    To their credit, that link is now visible on the left
    side without using their pulldown menu bar (which has
    also been redesigned, to make it more obvious -- using
    tiny downward-pointing triangles -- that it is a pulldown
    menu bar).

    Again to their credit, they have a small explainer on "What
    Is Open Source?" on the page to which this link points,
    plus short snippets on Ubuntu and FreeDOS, along with
    green transference buttons (both of which are actually
    put twice on this page, the assumption apparently that
    one might either go directly there, or scroll down a bit
    and read the fine print then go to where one wants; there's
    also a "Shop for Windows" button in case one got here either
    by mistake or has determined he does need Windows after all).

    Of course one looking for Ubuntu will have to find this link;
    I'm not sure everyone knows that Ubuntu is open source.

    (I'm sure not everyone knows about Ubuntu, though. ;-) )

    The blurb for Ubuntu mentions that it is "Linux-based",
    which is probably sufficient for those "in the know".
    The Average Joe is probably more interested in the rest
    of the blurb, which among other things, mentions "office
    productivity" software (going into detail what things are
    in such), e-mail, calendar, and chat.

    There is also a very tiny video viewer, showing a 4:53
    video purporting to inform what Linux is without "geeking"
    people out.

    > Any navigation should be straight and to the point.

    It could be better but this incarnation isn't too bad,
    though it's still not quite equal to Windows. But
    then, I'm not sure all customers "get it", unlike those
    that www.eRacks.com expects to visit apparently (they
    offer a choice of non-Windows distros, among them FreeBSD,
    Ubuntu, and Gentoo -- *after* choosing hardware).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/brain: Permission denied

  7. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, WhKw

    wrote
    on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:01:22 GMT
    <625hk.269046$fz6.28075@fe08.news.easynews.com>:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    >>
    >> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.
    >>
    >> Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    >> especially on notebooks.
    >>
    >> There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz, Martii
    >> or HPT!!
    >>
    >> It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO.
    >> You'll never lose it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with
    >> everything.
    >>
    >> So where is Linux?
    >>
    >> This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the Christmas
    >> season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >>
    >> Poor Linux...
    >>

    >> --
    >> Moshe Goldfarb
    >> Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    >> Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    >> http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    > Why would they mention [Linux]? There are only 2 people that might want it.

    Why is Dell offering Ubuntu-preloaded hardware, then?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

  8. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:
    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:

    > Ignore the forger.
    >
    > Sn^Hhit is on my lifetime kill-file list.

    I see why.

  9. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    "chrisv" stated in post
    4884ecba$0$5419$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com on 7/21/08 1:07 PM:

    > some idiot forging chrisv wrote:
    >> chrisv wrote:
    >>
    >>> Snit wrote:

    >> Ignore the forger.
    >>
    >> Sn^Hhit is on my lifetime kill-file list.

    > I see why.

    As do I. Heck, he cannot even type a name without sinking to juvenile
    insults!

    --
    Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are incredibly
    slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond

  10. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, WhKw
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:01:22 GMT
    > <625hk.269046$fz6.28075@fe08.news.easynews.com>:
    >>
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.
    >>>
    >>> Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    >>> especially on notebooks.
    >>>
    >>> There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz,
    >>> Martii or HPT!!
    >>>
    >>> It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO.
    >>> You'll never lose it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends
    >>> in with everything.
    >>>
    >>> So where is Linux?
    >>>
    >>> This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the
    >>> Christmas season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >>>
    >>> Poor Linux...
    >>>

    >> Why would they mention [Linux]? There are only 2 people that might
    >> want it.
    >>

    > Why is Dell offering Ubuntu-preloaded hardware, then?

    For those 2, I guess.

    "WhKw" wrote in message
    news:625hk.269046$fz6.28075@fe08.news.easynews.com ...

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > >
    > > Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.
    > >
    > > Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    > > especially on notebooks.
    > >
    > > There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz,

    Martii
    > > or HPT!!
    > >
    > > It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO.
    > > You'll never lose it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in

    with
    > > everything.
    > >
    > > So where is Linux?
    > >
    > > This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the

    Christmas
    > > season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    > >
    > > Poor Linux...
    > >

    > > --
    > > Moshe Goldfarb
    > > Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    > > Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    > > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    > Why would they mention Linsux? There are only 2 people that might want it.

    http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...esktop&cat=all

  12. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:36:55 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> Dell buries their Linux machines, it's easier to find the Loch Ness
    >> monster then it is to find a Linux box on Dell's website.

    > Not really. Starting from www.dell.com:
    >
    > Clicked "Home and Home Office" in the "shop" section at the bottom.
    >
    > Clicked "Open-Source PCs" in the "PC Operating Systems" section in
    > the left sidebar.
    >
    > Clicked "Shop for Ubuntu".
    >
    > That wasn't very hard.
    >
    >> Lenovo is much better, they put Linux right out front.

    > I've never been to lenovo.com before, at least that I recall. So let's
    > see how long it takes me to find Linux.
    >
    > Clicked "Notebooks".
    >
    > Clicked "Linux".
    >
    > OK, one less step at Lenovo, because I didn't have to first declare what
    > kind of use I intended for the machine.
    >
    > If I had declared my intended use, let's see what would have happened.
    >
    > Clicked "Home and Home Office".
    >
    > I now have to choose a series, or I can click "Browse all Lenovo
    > notebooks". If I do that, I get a page that has a Linux link. So, three
    > steps, same as Dell.
    >
    > If I go down the path of choosing a series, it looks like I no longer am
    > presented with a Linux option. It just leads to specific models, and
    > their customization pages, which don't seem to offer an OS choice.

    Not true. Choose a series and view models. Both Windows and Linux
    versions are shown side by side.

    Bug

  13. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    In article ,
    bugbuster wrote:
    > > If I go down the path of choosing a series, it looks like I no longer am
    > > presented with a Linux option. It just leads to specific models, and
    > > their customization pages, which don't seem to offer an OS choice.
    > >

    > Not true. Choose a series and view models. Both Windows and Linux
    > versions are shown side by side.

    OK, I see what happened. If you come in through the "home and home
    office" path, like I did, there are no ThinkPads shown, just IdeaPad Y
    and IdeaPad U series notebooks, and IdeaCentre K series desktops. They
    don't offer Linux on any of these, it appears.

    If you come in through, say, "small business", then it offers ThinkPads,
    and selecting a series and then viewing models in that series will
    include Linux models.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  14. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:15:11 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > bugbuster wrote:
    >> > If I go down the path of choosing a series, it looks like I no longer
    >> > am presented with a Linux option. It just leads to specific models,
    >> > and their customization pages, which don't seem to offer an OS choice.
    >> >

    >> Not true. Choose a series and view models. Both Windows and Linux
    >> versions are shown side by side.

    > OK, I see what happened. If you come in through the "home and home
    > office" path, like I did, there are no ThinkPads shown, just IdeaPad Y and
    > IdeaPad U series notebooks, and IdeaCentre K series desktops. They don't
    > offer Linux on any of these, it appears.
    >
    > If you come in through, say, "small business", then it offers ThinkPads,
    > and selecting a series and then viewing models in that series will include
    > Linux models.

    That is a bit strange. That's if you start from the Solutions column.
    But if you go to Products->Notebooks it shows the Thinkpads.

    Bug

  15. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:44:12 -0400, bugbuster wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:15:11 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Not true. Choose a series and view models. Both Windows and Linux
    >>> versions are shown side by side.

    >> OK, I see what happened. If you come in through the "home and home
    >> office" path, like I did, there are no ThinkPads shown, just IdeaPad Y and
    >> IdeaPad U series notebooks, and IdeaCentre K series desktops. They don't
    >> offer Linux on any of these, it appears.
    >>
    >> If you come in through, say, "small business", then it offers ThinkPads,
    >> and selecting a series and then viewing models in that series will include
    >> Linux models.

    > That is a bit strange. That's if you start from the Solutions column.
    > But if you go to Products->Notebooks it shows the Thinkpads.
    >
    > Bug

    I think so.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > bugbuster wrote:
    >>> If I go down the path of choosing a series, it looks like I no
    >>> longer am presented with a Linux option. It just leads to specific
    >>> models, and their customization pages, which don't seem to offer an
    >>> OS choice.
    >>>

    >> Not true. Choose a series and view models. Both Windows and Linux
    >> versions are shown side by side.

    > OK, I see what happened. If you come in through the "home and home
    > office" path, like I did, there are no ThinkPads shown, just IdeaPad Y
    > and IdeaPad U series notebooks, and IdeaCentre K series desktops.
    > They don't offer Linux on any of these, it appears.
    >
    > If you come in through, say, "small business", then it offers
    > ThinkPads, and selecting a series and then viewing models in that
    > series will include Linux models.

    Try

    www.dell.com/linux

    www.hp.com/linux

    www.ibm.com/linux

    www.lenovo.com/linux

  17. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.
    >
    > Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    > especially on notebooks.
    >
    > There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz, Martii
    > or HPT!!
    >
    > It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO.
    > You'll never lose it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with
    > everything.
    >
    > So where is Linux?
    >
    > This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the Christmas
    > season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >
    > Poor Linux...

    Well it goes something like this, if a manufacturer, distributor or
    retailer wishes to supply their computers with MS windows installed they
    get a licence from MS which, shall we say, limits their ability to
    advertise or display some alternative OS's. I asked the manager of a
    local branch of a well known computer store why he did not display any
    of the linux distros he sells on any of the display computers, he said
    doing so would breach the companies licence agreement with MS.

    I also spoke to members of the technical department in the same store
    about linux. They thought their customers would not know what to do with
    a dos prompt, which made me laugh. I explained i'd just installed Suse
    on one of my machines and had not seen a dos prompt, well ok one when
    first booting from the CD your presented with a dos menu but all you
    need to do is press return. After that you get a gui install not unlike
    MS windows, you need to answer a few questions, geographical location,
    time zone, language and are given the option to use the standard or
    custom partition layout. The OS is installed, when done the CD or DVD is
    ejected and a screen message tells you to remove the media and reboot.
    After rebooting you are presented with a window (gui) system not unlike
    MS windows, no dos prompt, unless you open a shell (command prompt in MS
    speak.) Also Suse8.1 came with 7CD's 1DVD, 2 large manuals and 90 days
    free support for 36GPB. A lot more than MS are willing to provide for
    the Vista OS i bought at 50GBP which currently won't boot at all. MS
    telephone support refer me to the email support, the email support refer
    me to the telephone support, the telephone support want 46GBP before
    they will consider offering any support at all.

    If you install one of the free linux disros don't expect it to be
    perfect, in most cases these are close to beta level, but the free
    support you can expect from the linux community is outstanding so most
    issues can be quickly resolved. If you want enterprise level software
    and professional support then buy one of the commercial distros like
    Suse or RedHat.

  18. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    Chipmunk writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.
    >>
    >> Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    >> especially on notebooks.
    >>
    >> There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz, Martii
    >> or HPT!!
    >>
    >> It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO.
    >> You'll never lose it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with
    >> everything.
    >>
    >> So where is Linux?
    >>
    >> This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the Christmas
    >> season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >>
    >> Poor Linux...
    >>

    > Well it goes something like this, if a manufacturer, distributor or
    > retailer wishes to supply their computers with MS windows installed they
    > get a licence from MS which, shall we say, limits their ability to
    > advertise or display some alternative OS's. I asked the manager of a
    > local branch of a well known computer store why he did not display any
    > of the linux distros he sells on any of the display computers, he said
    > doing so would breach the companies licence agreement with MS.

    Rubbish. I know many stores which sell Mac and Windows ans, in some
    cases, Linux.

    This makes you another paranoid liar.

  19. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Whereis it hiding????

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:28:12 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Chipmunk writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Not a mention of Linux anywhere in the booklet.
    >>>
    >>> Windows Vista is everywhere and there are some pretty decent deals,
    >>> especially on notebooks.
    >>>
    >>> There is a nice pink one that would be perfect for Roy Schestowitz,
    >>> Martii or HPT!!
    >>>
    >>> It has a $25.00 premium though, which is a rip IMHO. You'll never lose
    >>> it though, unlike a black Thinkpad which blends in with everything.
    >>>
    >>> So where is Linux?
    >>>
    >>> This is one of Dell's biggest times of the year, along with the
    >>> Christmas season but yet Linux is once again MIA.
    >>>
    >>> Poor Linux...
    >>>

    >> Well it goes something like this, if a manufacturer, distributor or
    >> retailer wishes to supply their computers with MS windows installed
    >> they get a licence from MS which, shall we say, limits their ability to
    >> advertise or display some alternative OS's. I asked the manager of a
    >> local branch of a well known computer store why he did not display any
    >> of the linux distros he sells on any of the display computers, he said
    >> doing so would breach the companies licence agreement with MS.

    > Rubbish. I know many stores which sell Mac and Windows ans, in some
    > cases, Linux.
    >
    > This makes you another paranoid liar.

    The retailer referenced by Mr. Chipmunk actually *does* sell linux - he
    stated as much. His point was that there were no display computers
    running that OS. Perhaps you can tell us of the two (or more)
    establishments in which you've seen linux on a display computer. I'd
    like to pay them a visit - I've never seen such, myself.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  20. Re: Just Got The Dell "Back To School" Catalog... Linux???? Where is it hiding????

    skydweller wrote:

    > "Hadron" Quack puked:
    >>
    >> Chipmunk writes:
    >>>
    >>> Well it goes something like this, if a manufacturer, distributor or
    >>> retailer wishes to supply their computers with MS windows installed
    >>> they get a licence from MS which, shall we say, limits their ability to
    >>> advertise or display some alternative OS's. I asked the manager of a
    >>> local branch of a well known computer store why he did not display any
    >>> of the linux distros he sells on any of the display computers, he said
    >>> doing so would breach the companies licence agreement with MS.

    >> Rubbish. I know many stores which sell Mac and Windows ans, in some
    >> cases, Linux.
    >>
    >> This makes you another paranoid liar.

    >The retailer referenced by Mr. Chipmunk actually *does* sell linux - he
    >stated as much. His point was that there were no display computers
    >running that OS.

    Exactly. This makes Quack a fscking piece of ****. This makes Quack
    a fscking asshole. This makes Quack a liar. This makes Quack a
    creep.

    You see, Quack? For *zero* reason, you called someone a "paranoid
    liar". This makes you a fscking piece of ****. This makes you a
    fscking asshole. This makes you a liar. This makes you a creep.