[Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament - Linux

This is a discussion on [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament - Linux ; http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2325779,00.asp ASUS' Big Development 07.18.08 . . . In a nutshell, Vista manages to be more complicated than XP, performs more poorly than XP, and is more expensive than XP. Everyone is shocked that it is not a big success. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

  1. [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2325779,00.asp

    ASUS' Big Development

    07.18.08

    . . .

    In a nutshell, Vista manages to be more complicated than XP,
    performs more poorly than XP, and is more expensive than XP.
    Everyone is shocked that it is not a big success. Meanwhile,
    Microsoft, which is more enamored of the online business than the
    software business, plans to roll out Windows 7 in 2009, if we are
    lucky.

    The business could be in ruins by then.

    --
    Pascal is a language for children wanting to be naughty.
    -- Dr. Kasi Ananthanarayanan

  2. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    Linonut wrote:

    > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2325779,00.asp


    Asus seems to be doing very well for itself indeed, particularly in Europe:-

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...uro_pc_market/

    "Asus saw its share of the European PC market more than double in Q2, and it's
    all thanks to the Eee PC."

    "So show figures from market watcher IDC. In Q2 2007, Asus' share of the PC
    market was a mere 2.8 per cent. One year on, that figure had risen to six per
    cent."

    "Its shipments rocketed from 497,000 units to 1.315m."


  3. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament


    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    news:1716355.WiormM4H8k@schestowitz.com...
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > ____/ bbgruff on Monday 21 July 2008 15:02 : \____
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2325779,00.asp

    >>
    >> Asus seems to be doing very well for itself indeed, particularly in
    >> Europe:-
    >>
    >> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...uro_pc_market/
    >>
    >> "Asus saw its share of the European PC market more than double in Q2, and
    >> it's all thanks to the Eee PC."
    >>
    >> "So show figures from market watcher IDC. In Q2 2007, Asus' share of the
    >> PC
    >> market was a mere 2.8 per cent. One year on, that figure had risen to six
    >> per
    >> cent."
    >>
    >> "Its shipments rocketed from 497,000 units to 1.315m."

    >
    > They'll deliver over 12 million motherboards with GNU/Linux integrated in
    > the
    > coming year, IIRC. And no... Windows fans cannot delete Linux. It's there
    > as 'part of the hardware'. :-)


    But according to ****-face liars like you Microsoft controls these companies
    and secret deals forbid linux from going anywhere near a computer. So one
    day Microsoft forbids OEM's from selling linux but the very next day linux
    is going to be 'part of the hardware' - so which is it?


    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  4. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    ____/ bbgruff on Monday 21 July 2008 15:02 : \____

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2325779,00.asp

    >
    > Asus seems to be doing very well for itself indeed, particularly in Europe:-
    >
    > http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...uro_pc_market/
    >
    > "Asus saw its share of the European PC market more than double in Q2, and
    > it's all thanks to the Eee PC."
    >
    > "So show figures from market watcher IDC. In Q2 2007, Asus' share of the PC
    > market was a mere 2.8 per cent. One year on, that figure had risen to six per
    > cent."
    >
    > "Its shipments rocketed from 497,000 units to 1.315m."


    They'll deliver over 12 million motherboards with GNU/Linux integrated in the
    coming year, IIRC. And no... Windows fans cannot delete Linux. It's there
    as 'part of the hardware'. :-)

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | D-I-S-C-O becomes D-I-E S-C-O
    http://Schestowitz.com | GNU is Not UNIX | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    http://iuron.com - proposing a non-profit search engine
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

    iEYEARECAAYFAkiEvu8ACgkQU4xAY3RXLo4VxQCeNnS+ohsEFy TwLjOIJUZQmCjV
    M/sAmwZsoUJKd/cVkrG0Odyx+cWzDxe9
    =Gdt3
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  5. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:41:30 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > news:1716355.WiormM4H8k@schestowitz.com...
    >> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    >> Hash: SHA1
    >>
    >> ____/ bbgruff on Monday 21 July 2008 15:02 : \____
    >>
    >>> Linonut wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2325779,00.asp
    >>>
    >>> Asus seems to be doing very well for itself indeed, particularly in
    >>> Europe:-
    >>>
    >>> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...uro_pc_market/
    >>>
    >>> "Asus saw its share of the European PC market more than double in Q2, and
    >>> it's all thanks to the Eee PC."
    >>>
    >>> "So show figures from market watcher IDC. In Q2 2007, Asus' share of the
    >>> PC
    >>> market was a mere 2.8 per cent. One year on, that figure had risen to six
    >>> per
    >>> cent."
    >>>
    >>> "Its shipments rocketed from 497,000 units to 1.315m."

    >>
    >> They'll deliver over 12 million motherboards with GNU/Linux integrated in
    >> the
    >> coming year, IIRC. And no... Windows fans cannot delete Linux. It's there
    >> as 'part of the hardware'. :-)

    >
    > But according to ****-face liars like you Microsoft controls these companies
    > and secret deals forbid linux from going anywhere near a computer. So one
    > day Microsoft forbids OEM's from selling linux but the very next day linux
    > is going to be 'part of the hardware' - so which is it?


    It's whatever fits their lame arguments at the moment.
    It's like a bunch of middle aged housewives at a TupperWare party.




    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: [Schestowitz is a nut] It doesn't matter what the subject isabout.

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > I can almost visualise it. 4 chaps with bottles of rum sitting around a fiery
    > barrel in the streets after Microsoft had given them the pink slip.
    >
    > There's a clear rise in anti-Linux sites, so sit tight. Microsoft is getting
    > more aggressive as a function of anxiety (for itself and its ecosystem that
    > gradually slips away).
    >



    The man is delusional One chap named Roy Schestowitz is posting
    drunkenly and insanely to the NG, and he has all of you sheep in his hands.

    All good little sheep listen to their sheepherder.

  7. Re: [Schestowitz is a nut] It doesn't matter what the subject is about.

    * Roy S. Schestowitz (fake) peremptorily fired off this memo:



    Idiot.

    --
    You can never tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks.

  8. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I can almost visualise it. 4 chaps with bottles of rum sitting around
    > a fiery barrel in the streets after Microsoft had given them the pink
    > slip.


    How would that ever happen, since none of us work for, or have ever worked
    for, Microsoft?



    > There's a clear rise in anti-Linux sites, so sit tight.


    That's a function of more people trying the slopware.

    And point those sites out - I'm always looking for a few chuckles.

    This one is damn funny! http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Lunix



    > Microsoft is
    > getting more aggressive as a function of anxiety (for itself and its
    > ecosystem that gradually slips away).


    blah blah blah... 10 years of the same stupid lines by the same stupid
    MS-haters.

    Meanwhile:

    * MS just had another record year of revenue.

    * Vista market share is rising rapidly - about 1% per month since general
    availability.

    * Office 2007 is an absolute monster success

    * No companies are switching to Macs or Linux (cue a goon who found a
    12-seat company that went with Linux)

    * Mac is doing well in certain laptop markets

    * Linux? Munich migration: delayed 3 more years - likely will never finish

    * Linux? Vienna migration: switched to Vista/Office 2007

    * Linux? Finished the first half of 2008 with well under 1% marketshare,
    despite being free its entire life.




  9. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    "DFS" writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> I can almost visualise it. 4 chaps with bottles of rum sitting around
    >> a fiery barrel in the streets after Microsoft had given them the pink
    >> slip.

    >
    > How would that ever happen, since none of us work for, or have ever worked
    > for, Microsoft?
    >
    >
    >
    >> There's a clear rise in anti-Linux sites, so sit tight.

    >
    > That's a function of more people trying the slopware.
    >
    > And point those sites out - I'm always looking for a few chuckles.
    >
    > This one is damn funny! http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Lunix


    It's funny because its true!

    ,----
    | Lunix, like the Macintosh, attracts legions of fanboys. These
    | penguinistas form communities that are irresistible to trolls. Though
    | especially rabid on defense, penguinistas can rarely give it as good as
    | they take it. Lunix trolls, in the guise of advocacy, often go to other
    | communities to evangelize about Lunix on the slimmest pretense. Unlike
    | most drama, the flame wars between OS advocates aren't entertaining.
    `----

    LOL, love the sig!


    --
    "My college theater antics were the inspiration for Robin
    Williams' character on Mork & Mindy"
    -- Rex Ballard in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  10. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > They'll deliver over 12 million motherboards with GNU/Linux
    > integrated in the coming year, IIRC.


    How is that possible? According to cola idiots, Microsoft controls the OEMs
    and would never allow them to sell systems with Asus-Linux mobos in them.
    So who is Asus going to sell to?

    Damned if I'm not confused, Spamowitz. Maybe you can clarify the lame
    idiocy spewed by cola lusers for years...




    > And no... Windows fans cannot
    > delete Linux. It's there as 'part of the hardware'. :-)


    Asus will be passing along the cost to the OEMs, and then to the consumer.
    Sounds like a "Linux tax".

    Can I cry and whine for the next 10 years like the Linux "community" has for
    the last 10?




  11. Re: [Schestowitz is a nut] It doesn't matter what the subject isabout.

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:11:15 -0400, Roy S. Schestowitz wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> I can almost visualise it. 4 chaps with bottles of rum sitting around a
    >> fiery barrel in the streets after Microsoft had given them the pink
    >> slip.
    >>
    >> There's a clear rise in anti-Linux sites, so sit tight. Microsoft is
    >> getting more aggressive as a function of anxiety (for itself and its
    >> ecosystem that gradually slips away).
    >>
    >>

    >
    > The man is delusional One chap named Roy Schestowitz is posting
    > drunkenly and insanely to the NG, and he has all of you sheep in his
    > hands.
    >
    > All good little sheep listen to their sheepherder.


    To you? The head sheep? Tell me, do you hear the zipper when Ballmer
    wants to have his way with you?

    *plonk* you faker.

  12. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:28:53 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> I can almost visualise it. 4 chaps with bottles of rum sitting around
    >> a fiery barrel in the streets after Microsoft had given them the pink
    >> slip.

    >
    > How would that ever happen, since none of us work for, or have ever worked
    > for, Microsoft?
    >
    >
    >
    >> There's a clear rise in anti-Linux sites, so sit tight.

    >
    > That's a function of more people trying the slopware.
    >
    > And point those sites out - I'm always looking for a few chuckles.
    >
    > This one is damn funny! http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Lunix
    >
    >
    >
    >> Microsoft is
    >> getting more aggressive as a function of anxiety (for itself and its
    >> ecosystem that gradually slips away).

    >
    > blah blah blah... 10 years of the same stupid lines by the same stupid
    > MS-haters.
    >
    > Meanwhile:
    >
    > * MS just had another record year of revenue.
    >
    > * Vista market share is rising rapidly - about 1% per month since general
    > availability.
    >
    > * Office 2007 is an absolute monster success
    >
    > * No companies are switching to Macs or Linux (cue a goon who found a
    > 12-seat company that went with Linux)
    >
    > * Mac is doing well in certain laptop markets
    >
    > * Linux? Munich migration: delayed 3 more years - likely will never finish
    >
    > * Linux? Vienna migration: switched to Vista/Office 2007
    >
    > * Linux? Finished the first half of 2008 with well under 1% marketshare,
    > despite being free its entire life.


    That's exactly what is happening.

    Back a few years ago when a person would venture into a Linux group and ask
    for help with a problem, or spew out their frustration with Linux, the
    Linux loons would deny that the problem existed.

    These days with more people trying Linux, the problems are coming out and
    the Linux loons can no longer deny that these problems exist, although they
    still try.

    The evidence is overwhelming.


    That site is hysterical BTW!!!!

    Here it is again:

    http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Lunix



    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:53:36 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> They'll deliver over 12 million motherboards with GNU/Linux
    >> integrated in the coming year, IIRC.

    >
    > How is that possible? According to cola idiots, Microsoft controls the OEMs
    > and would never allow them to sell systems with Asus-Linux mobos in them.
    > So who is Asus going to sell to?
    >
    > Damned if I'm not confused, Spamowitz. Maybe you can clarify the lame
    > idiocy spewed by cola lusers for years...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >> And no... Windows fans cannot
    >> delete Linux. It's there as 'part of the hardware'. :-)

    >
    > Asus will be passing along the cost to the OEMs, and then to the consumer.
    > Sounds like a "Linux tax".
    >
    > Can I cry and whine for the next 10 years like the Linux "community" has for
    > the last 10?


    Watch for the Linux feature to quietly drop out of site as Asus dumps it
    due to lack of interest.
    I actually think it's a good idea though because component parts are these
    days targeted at geeks and geeks like Linux so it's a good match...

    For average Joe it doesn't pay to build anymore and really the only
    argument for building a system from scratch is the ability to pick higher
    quality components.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    > Just in case you didn't know, Microsoft has produced more millionaire
    > employees than any other company in history at least last time I checked.
    >


    Yeah... and hence the sub-prime credit crisis US got now...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 21:55:01 up 8 days 1:20 6 users load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00
    (CSSA):
    http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...ub_addressesa/

  15. Re: [Schestowitz is a nut] It doesn't matter what the subject is about.

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 04:17:00 GMT, alt wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:11:15 -0400, Roy S. Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I can almost visualise it. 4 chaps with bottles of rum sitting around a
    >>> fiery barrel in the streets after Microsoft had given them the pink
    >>> slip.
    >>>
    >>> There's a clear rise in anti-Linux sites, so sit tight. Microsoft is
    >>> getting more aggressive as a function of anxiety (for itself and its
    >>> ecosystem that gradually slips away).
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> The man is delusional One chap named Roy Schestowitz is posting
    >> drunkenly and insanely to the NG, and he has all of you sheep in his
    >> hands.
    >>
    >> All good little sheep listen to their sheepherder.

    >
    > To you? The head sheep? Tell me, do you hear the zipper when Ballmer
    > wants to have his way with you?
    >
    > *plonk* you faker.


    What is it with Linux advocates and their apparent obsession with sheep,
    zippers and barn yards, Donovan?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:

    > They'll deliver over 12 million motherboards with GNU/Linux
    > integrated in the coming year, IIRC. And no... Windows fans cannot
    > delete Linux. It's there as 'part of the hardware'. :-)


    That's quite a turnaround from the bad ol' days of Microsoft trying to
    "own" the BIOS, and their subsequent aspirations of using the Fritz chip
    to lock out other platforms.

    Windows: Powered by Linux

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.23.8-63.fc8
    15:02:56 up 214 days, 11:38, 3 users, load average: 0.32, 0.28, 0.28

  17. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
    >
    >> They'll deliver over 12 million motherboards with GNU/Linux
    >> integrated in the coming year, IIRC. And no... Windows fans cannot
    >> delete Linux. It's there as 'part of the hardware'. :-)

    >
    > That's quite a turnaround from the bad ol' days of Microsoft trying to
    > "own" the BIOS, and their subsequent aspirations of using the Fritz chip
    > to lock out other platforms.
    >
    > Windows: Powered by Linux
    >


    What's great is that this won't get anti-competitive litigation the same
    way Microsoft's acts did. Not unless their doing this kind of thing
    destroys Windows almost completely.

  18. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:57:47 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    >> Just in case you didn't know, Microsoft has produced more millionaire
    >> employees than any other company in history at least last time I checked.
    >>

    >
    > Yeah... and hence the sub-prime credit crisis US got now...


    Greedy bankers offering mortgages to people who did not, could not and
    should not have been approved in the first place.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:57:47 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >
    >>> Just in case you didn't know, Microsoft has produced more millionaire
    >>> employees than any other company in history at least last time I checked.
    >>>

    >> Yeah... and hence the sub-prime credit crisis US got now...

    >
    > Greedy bankers offering mortgages to people who did not, could not and
    > should not have been approved in the first place.
    >


    And then getting their comeuppance when they can't pay back.

  20. Re: [Dvorak Troll] Vista Lament

    * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Just in case you didn't know, Microsoft has produced more millionaire
    > employees than any other company in history at least last time I checked.


    Big deal. So has the Colombian drug cartel.

    --
    Many people write memos to tell you they have nothing to say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast