Textbook Piracy Grows Online, Prompting a Counterattack From Publishers

,----[ Quote ]
| So far the publishing group has not sought to take legal action against
| individual student downloaders, as the Recording Industry Association of
| America has done in its campaign to stamp out the illegal trading of music at
| colleges. The book-publishing group has not sought to shut down entire Web
| sites that offer downloads either, said Mr. McCoyd. Instead, officials are
| doing research on the extent of the problem and asking Web-site owners to
| remove individual files. "We've just tried to keep sweeping away these
| infringements as they continue to come online," he said.
`----

http://chronicle.com/free/2008/07/3623n.htm

Recent:

Chief RIAA Litigator Named Colorado Judge -- UPDATE

,----[ Quote ]
| The Pirate Party of the United States took a different position. "Being the
| lead counsel in a multi-year campaign of extortion, pretexting, and sham
| litigation should not be rewarded with a seat in any court, except perhaps as
| a defendant," said the party's chairman, Andrew Norton.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...riaa-liti.html

Related:

Counterclaims for extortion, conspiracy, trespass, consumer fraud & abuse,
abuse of process upheld in Atlantic v. Boyer

,----[ Quote ]
| The counterclaims are for civil conspiracy, extortion, illegal
| investigations, computer fraud, trespass, deception, and abuse of process.
`----

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blo...onspiracy.html

Dancing tot's mom faces setback in YouTube-Prince case

,----[ Quote ]
| EFF had asked for a ruling that the 30-second snippet did not violate
| copyright law; Fogel concluded it was unnecessary because "Universal has
| indicated it had and presently has no intention of ever asserting an
| infringement action directly against Lenz based on the 'Let's Go Crazy'
| video." * *
`----

Does She Look Like a Music Pirate?

,----[ Quote ]
| Andersen is going after the recording industry under conspiracy laws. She
| argues the Recording Industry Association of America, the industry's trade
| group, and its affiliates worked together on a broad campaign to intimidate
| people into making financial payoffs. The defendants "secretly met and
| conspired" to develop a "litigation enterprise" with the ultimate goal of
| preserving the major record companies' control over the music business.
| Andersen is requesting class action status for her case, seeking at least $5
| million in compensation for the class * * *
|
| [...]
|
| From her apartment outside Portland, Andersen remains involved in the broader
| case. She collects files on her suit and tracks other disputes with the RIAA
| online. One recent winter day, she sipped a Diet Pepsi and watched Tazz jump
| from the couch and settle on the floor. "You have to find some positive in
| stuff, too," she says. "For whatever reason, I have been given a unique
| opportunity to fight this. I feel a responsibility in a way and want to help
| others. That pushes me along." * * *
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/print/ma...2042959954.htm

Music boss: we were wrong to go to war with consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| The boss of Warner Music has made a rare public confession that the music
| industry has to take some of the blame for the rise of p2p file sharing.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/macuser/news/...consumers.html

Defendant: RIAA abusing courts to shore up "failing business model"

,----[ Quote ]
| After the lawsuit was filed, Njuguna said she boxed up the PC reportedly used
| for infringement and purchased a new one. She then filed a series of
| counterclaims to the RIAA's lawsuit in an attempt to have the lawsuit
| dismissed and her name cleared. One of those accuses the record labels of
| failing to negotiate in good faith. * *
|
| [...]
|
| Njugana also accuses the RIAA of engaging in deceptive and unfair trade
| practices, arguing that the record labels have demonstrated repeated behavior
| that has an "adverse effect on the public interest." She also cites former
| RIAA defendant Tanya Andersen's lawsuit (which seeks class-action status) as
| evidence that, unless the courts step in at some point, the RIAA will
| continue its campaign. * *
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ess-model.html

The RIAA will come to regret its court win

,----[ Quote ]
| And, he told his blog readers: "If [the industry tries to] keep up the
| strategy of 'you need us badly and therefore we make the rules' you will lose
| the artists, their managers... and the audience. Another 12 months for this
| Radiohead experiment to become the default approach. Get engaged or get
| outmoded. And do it soon." * *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._riaa_comment/

Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed suit today against Universal
| Music Publishing Group (UMPG), asking a federal court to protect the fair use
| and free speech rights of a mother who posted a short video of her toddler
| son dancing to a Prince song on the Internet. *
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...sic-dmca-abuse

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
`----