[News] Adobe Picks LGPLv3 for BlazeDS - Linux

  1. [News] Adobe Picks LGPLv3 for BlazeDS

    BlazeDS Overview

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Previously available only as part of Adobe LiveCycle® Data Services ES, Adobe
    | is contributing the proven BlazeDS Overviewtechnologies to the community
    | under the LGPL v3.
    `----

    http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/dis...azeds/Overview

    When a company like Adobe says no to Tivoization and yes to GPL, that's
    something. Who's next? Apple?

    The recent news about Adobe and ODF is encouraging too.

    Recent:

    Adobe Joins Linux Foundation But Forgets About Flash for Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I would hope that Zemlin will encourage Adobe to now treat Linux as a first
    | class citizen as opposed to an afterthought for release after Windows.
    |
    | I hope Zemlin will pressure Adobe to finally actually make Flash -- not just
    | the player -- but Flash CS3 Professional, (the core Flash development tool)
    | available for Linux as a fully commercially available and supported product.
    | It is somewhat ironic in my opinion that Adobe can join the Linux Foundation,
    | claim to support Linux and yet not offer its flagship Flash development tool
    | on Linux.
    `----

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...ndation-b.html

    Hey You, Standarize My Cloud

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Rather it will arrive because it’ll be the means of differentiation for late
    | market entrants; those that want to play in the cloud with the likes of
    | Amazon and Google, though at a fraction of the scale.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Perhaps the biggest question facing the potential standards players will be
    | the balance between standardization and the speed of innovation. When we
    | spoke with Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch about the opening of its SWF format, one of
    | the questions we put to him was the potential for SWF to make the transition
    | from open specification to formal standard. While not dismissing the
    | possibility out of hand, his concern was that it might negatively impact
    | Adobe’s ability to innovate within the specification. Standards need not be
    | inimical to innovation, but neither are they designed to foster it.
    `----

    http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2008/07/0...andards_again/

    Opera Web Standards Curriculum

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Opera, one of the major alternative Web browsers to Windows’ Internet
    | Explorer, has opened the door to a new user market with the publication of
    | its Opera Web Standards Curriculum. This curriculum is a complete course that
    | teaches standards-based Web development, including HTML, CSS, design
    | principles and background theory, and JavaScript basics. It already has
    | support from many organizations (including Yahoo! and the Web Standards
    | Project) and universities. The first 23 articles are currently available,
    | with about 30 more to be published between now and late September. The Web
    | Standards Curriculum is completely free to use, accessible, and assumes no
    | previous knowledge.
    `----

    http://www.fanaticattack.com/2008/op...urriculum.html

  2. Re: [News] Adobe Picks LGPLv3 for BlazeDS

    > When a company like Adobe says no to Tivoization and yes to GPL,
    > that's something. Who's next? Apple?

    Certainly not Microsoft, masters of racketeering, that's for sure.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    13:59:52 up 214 days, 10:35, 3 users, load average: 0.79, 0.40, 0.35

+ Reply to Thread