[News] Microsoft Loves So-called 'Pirates', Uses Them Against Linux - Linux

  1. [News] Microsoft Loves So-called 'Pirates', Uses Them Against Linux

    Look for the silver lining

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Clamping down too hard on pirates may also encourage people to switch to
    | free, open-source alternatives. “It’s easier for our software to compete with
    | Linux when there’s piracy than when there’s not,” Microsoft’s chairman, Bill
    | Gates, told Fortune magazine last year.
    `----

    http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...ry_id=11750492

    The Man in the Sweater also uses his Foundation to addict children under
    the "donation" guise.

    Related:

    Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But the truth is that Microsoft is happy with the way Windows Vista
    | piracy is evolving. Is there a catch to this? No. The fact of the
    | matter is that Windows Vista has delivered a heavy blow to
    | software counterfeiters. The reason for this is the new Windows
    | Genuine Advantage security mechanism integrated into the
    | operating system.
    |
    | You may not notice this on the surface. On the surface, the
    | Internet is crawling with Windows Vista cracks, hacks and
    | workarounds. On the surface, every Windows Vista edition has
    | been cracked and is available for download via peer-to-peer
    | networks. But this is not the true extent of Windows Vista piracy.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...cy-50577.shtml

    Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
    | technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
    | will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
    | Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
    | it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
    | they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
    | Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
    | plans for world domination.
    |
    | It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
    | of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
    `----

    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...956941,00.html

    Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
    | software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
    | Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
    |
    | Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
    |
    | "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
    | people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
    | As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
    | They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
    | collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
    `----

    http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Loves So-called 'Pirates', Uses Them AgainstLinux

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Clamping down too hard on pirates may also encourage people to
    > | switch to free, open-source alternatives. “It’s easier for our
    > | software to compete with Linux when there’s piracy than when
    > | there’s not,” Microsoft’s chairman, Bill Gates, told Fortune
    > | magazine last year.
    > `----

    Did Billy Buttcrust just say that "pirating" was OK?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    13:43:22 up 214 days, 10:18, 3 users, load average: 0.23, 0.34, 0.37

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft Loves So-called 'Pirates', Uses Them Against Linux

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Clamping down too hard on pirates may also encourage people to
    >> | switch to free, open-source alternatives. ?It?s easier for our
    >> | software to compete with Linux when there?s piracy than when
    >> | there?s not,? Microsoft?s chairman, Bill Gates, told Fortune
    >> | magazine last year.
    >> `----

    > Did Billy Buttcrust just say that "pirating" was OK?

    It's okay by him, as long as he can still kill the competition and be
    the richest man in the world.

    --
    "Nuclear war would really set back cable."
    -- Ted Turner

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft Loves So-called 'Pirates', Uses Them Against Linux

+ Reply to Thread