[News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 105

  1. [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    Compiz Fusion - Unmatched 3D Environment in Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Think Aqua interface in Mac OSX and 3D Flip in Windows Vista was the best
    | looking Operating system? Ever thought that the 3D effects on hacker’s
    | desktop shown in movies are not for real? No need to think again, just read
    | on because the freedom and flexibility Compiz Fusion provides is beyond
    | imagination.
    |
    | Compiz fusion is the result of a merge between the well-known Beryl composite
    | window manager and Compiz Extras, a community set of improvements to the
    | Compiz composite window manager. You don’t even need a high performance
    | hardware for this, it will work fine with 256MB RAM and a decent processor.
    `----

    http://blog.ashfame.com/2008/07/comp...d-environment/

    Recent:

    Compiz Support For Multi-Pointer X

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In May we shared that Multi-Pointer X (or MPX for short) was entering the
    | mainline X server. While it was merged to master that month, X Server 1.5 was
    | already branched out and therefore it won't appear in X.Org 7.4, but it will
    | appear in X Server 1.6 (X.Org 7.5) until next year.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjU4MA

    Related:

    Compiz is the Most Important Thing to Ever Happen to Linux.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If the Linux community wants to wipe Windows and Mac out of the OS business
    | all they need to do in focus all of their collective efforts on developing
    | Compiz. With the combine intelligence of hundreds of thousands of nerds we
    | could develop the most pimped out windows management system known to mankind.
    | The kids don’t want stability, they want an OS w/ rims that spin.
    `----

    http://fffff.at/compiz-is-the-most-i...appen-to-linux

    Compiz is Cool – and Why That Matters

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the most vexed questions within the open source world is when, if
    | ever, GNU/Linux will take off on the desktop. Strangely, this isn't really
    | about capabilities: as someone who has Ubuntu running on both of his main
    | systems, I can attest to the fact that GNU/Linux is not just usable, it's a
    | downright pleasure to use. In fact, I constantly marvel at how transparent
    | open source has become: most of the time I'm simply not aware that I'm using
    | it – it just works.
    |
    | This raises the interesting question: so what's missing? What more does open
    | source need to do in order to capture the attention of the general user? I
    | think the answer can be found on this YouTube video.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=701&blogid=14

    Compiz and Compiz Fusion 0.7.6 out in wild

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the new features there is now a new “Static Switcher” that shows
    | thumbnails of all the open windows and moves caret instead of thumbnails.
    | Place plugin received a rewrite that enhances it’s multi-display support.
    | Gtk-window-decorator is now accesessibilit(a11y) sensitive and ezoom plugin
    | now has area zoom, helping people with disabilities to work on computer with
    | ease.
    |
    | Eye-candy? Full sphere!! I’ll let a picture talk for itself.
    `----

    http://dev.compiz-fusion.org/~cybero...6-out-in-wild/

  2. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Compiz is the Most Important Thing to Ever Happen to Linux.
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> If the Linux community wants to wipe Windows and Mac out of the OS
    >> business all they need to do in focus all of their collective
    >> efforts on developing Compiz. With the combine intelligence of
    >> hundreds of thousands of nerds we could develop the most pimped out
    >> windows management system known to mankind. The kids don't want
    >> stability, they want an OS w/ rims that spin.

    > `----
    >
    > http://fffff.at/compiz-is-the-most-i...appen-to-linux

    I highly recommend you follow this advice, Linux nerds. Spend all your time
    creating flaming windows and spinning cubes - show 'em what Linux is all
    about.

  3. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    "DFS" writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Compiz is the Most Important Thing to Ever Happen to Linux.
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> If the Linux community wants to wipe Windows and Mac out of the OS
    >>> business all they need to do in focus all of their collective
    >>> efforts on developing Compiz. With the combine intelligence of
    >>> hundreds of thousands of nerds we could develop the most pimped out
    >>> windows management system known to mankind. The kids don't want
    >>> stability, they want an OS w/ rims that spin.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://fffff.at/compiz-is-the-most-i...appen-to-linux

    > I highly recommend you follow this advice, Linux nerds. Spend all your time
    > creating flaming windows and spinning cubes - show 'em what Linux is all
    > about.

    Yeah, at the same time some moron cuts off support for the performance
    drivers from NVidia because they are not "open source": Wonderful
    thinking.

    --
    It explains a lot. I've not heard of anyone I know, anywhere, buying XP,
    and I've not seen it sold whilst I've been in any shops.

  4. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 04:38:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Compiz is the Most Important Thing to Ever Happen to Linux.
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://fffff.at/compiz-is-the-most-i...appen-to-linux

    >> I highly recommend you follow this advice, Linux nerds. Spend all your time
    >> creating flaming windows and spinning cubes - show 'em what Linux is all
    >> about.
    >>

    > Yeah, at the same time some moron cuts off support for the performance
    > drivers from NVidia because they are not "open source": Wonderful
    > thinking.

    Amazing.....

    That spinning cube stuff gives me a headache...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:37:56 -0400
    <0Hbhk.5224$dP6.3040@bignews1.bellsouth.net>:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Compiz is the Most Important Thing to Ever Happen to Linux.
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> If the Linux community wants to wipe Windows and Mac out of the OS
    >>> business all they need to do in focus all of their collective
    >>> efforts on developing Compiz. With the combine intelligence of
    >>> hundreds of thousands of nerds we could develop the most pimped out
    >>> windows management system known to mankind. The kids don't want
    >>> stability, they want an OS w/ rims that spin.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://fffff.at/compiz-is-the-most-i...appen-to-linux

    > I highly recommend you follow this advice, Linux nerds. Spend all your time
    > creating flaming windows and spinning cubes - show 'em what Linux is all
    > about.

    You are confused. Eye candy is not what a computer is for
    (though the occasional game is enjoyable, certainly).
    That's why Windows is so popular; people feel they can do
    things with it -- including games. (When it's functioning,
    anyway.)

    And of course Windows is now the default solution in our
    technological society, with a huge head start. To overcome
    that head start will require quite a fair amount of work,
    though an old Aesop's Fable comes to mind; the Microsoft
    Rabbit(tm) had better not be asleep, dreaming of stop screens... ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.

  6. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 22 July 2008 17:35 : \____
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:37:56 -0400
    >> <0Hbhk.5224$dP6.3040@bignews1.bellsouth.net>:

    >>> I highly recommend you follow this advice, Linux nerds. Spend all your time
    >>> creating flaming windows and spinning cubes - show 'em what Linux is all
    >>> about.
    >>>

    >> You are confused. Eye candy is not what a computer is for
    >> (though the occasional game is enjoyable, certainly).
    >> That's why Windows is so popular; people feel they can do
    >> things with it -- including games. (When it's functioning,
    >> anyway.)
    >>
    >> And of course Windows is now the default solution in our
    >> technological society, with a huge head start. To overcome
    >> that head start will require quite a fair amount of work,
    >> though an old Aesop's Fable comes to mind; the Microsoft
    >> Rabbit(tm) had better not be asleep, dreaming of stop screens... ;-)

    > Compiz improves my productivity. If the trolls don't believe it, then they can
    > also call the grapes "sour", too. Why should Linux users care what the
    > Microsoft Munchkins say?
    >
    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
    > http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > Load average (/proc/loadavg): 0.86 0.80 0.81 5/245 13439
    > http://iuron.com - semantic search engine project initiative

    Can you explain how Compiz improves your productivity?

  7. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> I highly recommend you follow this advice, Linux nerds. Spend all your
    >>> time
    >>> creating flaming windows and spinning cubes - show 'em what Linux is all
    >>> about.
    >>>

    >> You are confused. Eye candy is not what a computer is for
    >> (though the occasional game is enjoyable, certainly).
    >> That's why Windows is so popular; people feel they can do
    >> things with it -- including games. (When it's functioning,
    >> anyway.)
    >>
    >> And of course Windows is now the default solution in our
    >> technological society, with a huge head start. To overcome
    >> that head start will require quite a fair amount of work,
    >> though an old Aesop's Fable comes to mind; the Microsoft
    >> Rabbit(tm) had better not be asleep, dreaming of stop screens... ;-)

    > Compiz improves my productivity. If the trolls don't believe it, then they
    > can
    > also call the grapes "sour", too. Why should Linux users care what the
    > Microsoft Munchkins say?

    "Compiz improves your productivity" - which means what exactly? You are an
    unemployed college student that lives in a dorm room. If a loser like you
    thinks that a rotating cube actually "improves your productivity" then it
    really isn't saying much. Since you have no job, no job prospects and
    contribute nothing but hateful spam to society it's easy for you to credit
    Compiz for increasing your productivity from 0% to 0.2%.

    Ask someone that actually works and produces something for a living how much
    a flaming window or a rotating 3D cube with dolphins increases their
    productivity.

  8. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:52:54 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> You are confused. Eye candy is not what a computer is for (though the
    >>> occasional game is enjoyable, certainly). That's why Windows is so
    >>> popular; people feel they can do things with it -- including games.
    >>> (When it's functioning, anyway.)
    >>>
    >>> And of course Windows is now the default solution in our technological
    >>> society, with a huge head start. To overcome that head start will
    >>> require quite a fair amount of work, though an old Aesop's Fable comes
    >>> to mind; the Microsoft Rabbit(tm) had better not be asleep, dreaming
    >>> of stop screens... ;-)

    >> Compiz improves my productivity. If the trolls don't believe it, then
    >> they can
    >> also call the grapes "sour", too. Why should Linux users care what the
    >> Microsoft Munchkins say?

    > "Compiz improves your productivity" - which means what exactly? You are
    > an unemployed college student that lives in a dorm room. If a loser like
    > you thinks that a rotating cube actually "improves your productivity"
    > then it really isn't saying much. Since you have no job, no job
    > prospects and contribute nothing but hateful spam to society it's easy
    > for you to credit Compiz for increasing your productivity from 0% to
    > 0.2%.
    >
    > Ask someone that actually works and produces something for a living how
    > much a flaming window or a rotating 3D cube with dolphins increases
    > their productivity.

    But then... you haven't yet grasped the benefits of virtual desktops/
    workspaces, have you?

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:07:04 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:52:54 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> Compiz improves my productivity. If the trolls don't believe it, then
    >>> they can
    >>> also call the grapes "sour", too. Why should Linux users care what the
    >>> Microsoft Munchkins say?

    >> "Compiz improves your productivity" - which means what exactly? You are
    >> an unemployed college student that lives in a dorm room. If a loser like
    >> you thinks that a rotating cube actually "improves your productivity"
    >> then it really isn't saying much. Since you have no job, no job
    >> prospects and contribute nothing but hateful spam to society it's easy
    >> for you to credit Compiz for increasing your productivity from 0% to
    >> 0.2%.
    >>
    >> Ask someone that actually works and produces something for a living how
    >> much a flaming window or a rotating 3D cube with dolphins increases
    >> their productivity.

    > But then... you haven't yet grasped the benefits of virtual desktops/
    > workspaces, have you?

    What's to grasp?
    I have them running under Windows XP.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 22 July 2008 17:35 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:37:56 -0400
    > <0Hbhk.5224$dP6.3040@bignews1.bellsouth.net>:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Compiz is the Most Important Thing to Ever Happen to Linux.
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://fffff.at/compiz-is-the-most-i...appen-to-linux

    >> I highly recommend you follow this advice, Linux nerds. Spend all your time
    >> creating flaming windows and spinning cubes - show 'em what Linux is all
    >> about.
    >>

    > You are confused. Eye candy is not what a computer is for
    > (though the occasional game is enjoyable, certainly).
    > That's why Windows is so popular; people feel they can do
    > things with it -- including games. (When it's functioning,
    > anyway.)
    >
    > And of course Windows is now the default solution in our
    > technological society, with a huge head start. To overcome
    > that head start will require quite a fair amount of work,
    > though an old Aesop's Fable comes to mind; the Microsoft
    > Rabbit(tm) had better not be asleep, dreaming of stop screens... ;-)

    Compiz improves my productivity. If the trolls don't believe it, then they can
    also call the grapes "sour", too. Why should Linux users care what the
    Microsoft Munchkins say?

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"

  11. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ben

    wrote
    on Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:50:43 +0100
    :
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Can you explain how Compiz improves your productivity?

    I could see a case for the Compiz cube making one's
    windows more visible on the nonactive sides of the cube,
    as opposed to the standard Gnome solution (which shows a
    little rectangle in a segmented area in one's panel; it
    doesn't say much as to how the window will actually look)
    or what Vista apparently does, which is to draw a small
    version of the visible window. I don't know what KDE does
    offhand.

    I can't say it looks like a strong case, though it also
    depends on what one is used to. If I'm perceived to
    dislike Compiz or frown on Apple's colored & candied
    jewel-like bits, I absolutely hate "click to focus";
    fortunately Linux can disable that option. I have no idea
    whether Windows can or not offhand, without a third-party
    solution (which are plentiful enough).

    And Windows XP by default does not have multiple
    workspaces, though again third-party solutions exist -- and
    Vista did get around to implementing them, with different
    backgrounds yet, if I'm not mistaken. However, I've had
    multiple workspaces for awhile anyway, even if they all
    have the same background (which currently isn't visible
    except for a thin sliver anyway, so what's the point?).

    I also consider the "shuffle"/"flipthrough" little more
    than a bit of a gimmick, though it does appear to be
    somewhat helpful in finding one's open windows.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
    a lot of hot air and vapor.

  12. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:47:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Ben on Tuesday 22 July 2008 18:50 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 22 July 2008 17:35 : \____

    > http://fffff.at/compiz-is-the-most-i...appen-to-linux

    >>> Compiz improves my productivity. If the trolls don't believe it, then they
    >>> can also call the grapes "sour", too. Why should Linux users care what the
    >>> Microsoft Munchkins say?
    >>>
    >>> - --
    >>> ~~ Best of wishes
    >>>
    >>> Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
    >>> http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    >>> Load average (/proc/loadavg): 0.86 0.80 0.81 5/245 13439
    >>> http://iuron.com - semantic search engine project initiative

    >> Can you explain how Compiz improves your productivity?

    > One example (since the Munchkins make fun of the cube): if I invoke an action
    > in desktop 2 which affects desktop 1, then I want to take a peek at desktop 1
    > while still focusing on desktop 2. It's then that I can tilt the cube just
    > slightly to take a glimpse at desktop 1, without leaving desktop 2.

    Anything to keep the SPAM output high and the quality low I suppose.

    > And that's just one example. By the way, Compiz is very multi-head-aware, which
    > is impressive.

    Too bad the rest of Linux isn't.
    IOW getting multiple displays to work under Linux is a real PITA.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:25:40 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:07:04 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:52:54 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> "Compiz improves your productivity" - which means what exactly? You
    >>> are an unemployed college student that lives in a dorm room. If a
    >>> loser like you thinks that a rotating cube actually "improves your
    >>> productivity" then it really isn't saying much. Since you have no job,
    >>> no job prospects and contribute nothing but hateful spam to society
    >>> it's easy for you to credit Compiz for increasing your productivity
    >>> from 0% to 0.2%.
    >>>
    >>> Ask someone that actually works and produces something for a living
    >>> how much a flaming window or a rotating 3D cube with dolphins
    >>> increases their productivity.
    >>>

    >>> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    >> But then... you haven't yet grasped the benefits of virtual desktops/
    >> workspaces, have you?

    > What's to grasp?
    > I have them running under Windows XP.

    When did you change your nym to Ezekiel, flattie?

    ... and I suppose you are going to tell us that virtual desktops are yet
    another Microsoft innovation.

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    ____/ Ben on Tuesday 22 July 2008 18:50 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 22 July 2008 17:35 : \____
    >>
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:37:56 -0400

    http://fffff.at/compiz-is-the-most-i...appen-to-linux

    >>> You are confused. Eye candy is not what a computer is for
    >>> (though the occasional game is enjoyable, certainly).
    >>> That's why Windows is so popular; people feel they can do
    >>> things with it -- including games. (When it's functioning,
    >>> anyway.)
    >>>
    >>> And of course Windows is now the default solution in our
    >>> technological society, with a huge head start. To overcome
    >>> that head start will require quite a fair amount of work,
    >>> though an old Aesop's Fable comes to mind; the Microsoft
    >>> Rabbit(tm) had better not be asleep, dreaming of stop screens... ;-)

    >> Compiz improves my productivity. If the trolls don't believe it, then they
    >> can also call the grapes "sour", too. Why should Linux users care what the
    >> Microsoft Munchkins say?
    >>
    >> - --
    >> ~~ Best of wishes
    >>
    >> Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
    >> http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    >> Load average (/proc/loadavg): 0.86 0.80 0.81 5/245 13439
    >> http://iuron.com - semantic search engine project initiative

    > Can you explain how Compiz improves your productivity?

    One example (since the Munchkins make fun of the cube): if I invoke an action
    in desktop 2 which affects desktop 1, then I want to take a peek at desktop 1
    while still focusing on desktop 2. It's then that I can tilt the cube just
    slightly to take a glimpse at desktop 1, without leaving desktop 2.

    And that's just one example. By the way, Compiz is very multi-head-aware, which
    is impressive. Scale gestures at screen corners is another handy feature.
    Window previews remind me of what KasBar achieved over 5 years ago. I no
    longer need KPager, so there's more screen space, too.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: sheep outnumber people in NZ
    Tasks: 149 total, 1 running, 148 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  15. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:36:13 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:25:40 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> But then... you haven't yet grasped the benefits of virtual desktops/
    >>> workspaces, have you?

    >> What's to grasp?
    >> I have them running under Windows XP.

    > When did you change your nym to Ezekiel, flattie?
    >
    > .. and I suppose you are going to tell us that virtual desktops are yet
    > another Microsoft innovation.

    Notice the sidestep....
    Answer: Who cares who invented it. I'm interested in using it not fighting
    some religious war like you Linux loons are.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS wrote on Mon, 21 Jul
    > 2008 22:37:56 -0400 <0Hbhk.5224$dP6.3040@bignews1.bellsouth.net>:

    >> I highly recommend you follow this advice, Linux nerds. Spend all
    >> your time creating flaming windows and spinning cubes - show 'em
    >> what Linux is all about.

    That's rich coming from someone whose desktop is so minimal it looks
    like a throwback to the days of Norton Desktop.

    Prizes to those who can spot the difference:

    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ge_TaskMgr.jpg
    http://toastytech.com/guis/ndwfolder.gif

    > You are confused.

    Funny, his shrink has been telling him that for years.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    22:14:53 up 214 days, 18:50, 4 users, load average: 0.23, 0.43, 0.41

  17. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:49:08 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:36:13 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >>> What's to grasp?
    >>> I have them running under Windows XP.

    >> When did you change your nym to Ezekiel, flattie?
    >>
    >> .. and I suppose you are going to tell us that virtual desktops are yet
    >> another Microsoft innovation.

    > Notice the sidestep....

    No side step.

    > Answer: Who cares who invented it. I'm interested in using it not
    > fighting some religious war like you Linux loons are.

    I don't fight any religious wars. And I have been using virtual desktops
    for 10-ish years.

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On 2008-07-22, Rick wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:49:08 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    [deletia]
> [...]

    I would like to call bull**** on this one.

    I've tried a number of so called "virtual desktops" for XP and
    they have all fallen down rather hard. The worst was Microsofts
    own swipe at the concept.

    >>> When did you change your nym to Ezekiel, flattie?
    >>>
    >>> .. and I suppose you are going to tell us that virtual desktops are yet
    >>> another Microsoft innovation.

    >> Notice the sidestep....

    > No side step.
    >
    >> Answer: Who cares who invented it. I'm interested in using it not
    >> fighting some religious war like you Linux loons are.

    > I don't fight any religious wars. And I have been using virtual desktops
    > for 10-ish years.

    ....I'm still curious about this mythical virtual desktops for XP.

    I've tried a few. Most are total crap. Some are a little awkward
    but more or less 90% there. None are what I would call proper
    virtual desktops.

    They're for the most part hacks that tend to sooner or later
    manifest quirks associated with that fact.

    --
    Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    / | \

  19. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    "Rick" stated in post
    trWdnc4_N5hFshvVnZ2dnUVZ_uudnZ2d@supernews.com on 7/22/08 12:07 PM:

    >> "Compiz improves your productivity" - which means what exactly? You are
    >> an unemployed college student that lives in a dorm room. If a loser like
    >> you thinks that a rotating cube actually "improves your productivity"
    >> then it really isn't saying much. Since you have no job, no job
    >> prospects and contribute nothing but hateful spam to society it's easy
    >> for you to credit Compiz for increasing your productivity from 0% to
    >> 0.2%.
    >>
    >> Ask someone that actually works and produces something for a living how
    >> much a flaming window or a rotating 3D cube with dolphins increases
    >> their productivity.

    > But then... you haven't yet grasped the benefits of virtual desktops/
    > workspaces, have you?

    I understand the benefits but generally prefer to not use them. I have
    nothing against others using them, of course, though having them *on* by
    default in a consumer directed desktop OS is pretty silly.

    --
    When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how
    to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not

  20. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:05:24 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-07-22, Rick wrote:

    > [deletia]

    > I would like to call bull**** on this one.
    >
    > I've tried a number of so called "virtual desktops" for XP and
    > they have all fallen down rather hard. The worst was Microsofts
    > own swipe at the concept.

    >>> Notice the sidestep....

    >> No side step.
    >>
    >>> Answer: Who cares who invented it. I'm interested in using it not
    >>> fighting some religious war like you Linux loons are.

    >> I don't fight any religious wars. And I have been using virtual desktops
    >> for 10-ish years.

    > ...I'm still curious about this mythical virtual desktops for XP.
    >
    > I've tried a few. Most are total crap. Some are a little awkward
    > but more or less 90% there. None are what I would call proper
    > virtual desktops.

    I realize that anything I put up for comparison will pale next to the
    mighty "Linux" virtual desktop, however I use Nvidia's Nview and it works
    for what I need.
    I have a hotkey setup and away it goes.

    > They're for the most part hacks that tend to sooner or later
    > manifest quirks associated with that fact.

    Here come the word games again...