[News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition - Linux ; "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message news:slrng8cmd4.qiu.jedi@nomad.mishnet... > On 2008-07-22, Rick wrote: >> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:49:08 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote: >> >>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:36:13 -0500, Rick wrote: >>> >>>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:25:40 ...

  1. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-07-22, Rick wrote:

    > [deletia]

    > I would like to call bull**** on this one.
    >
    > I've tried a number of so called "virtual desktops" for XP and
    > they have all fallen down rather hard. The worst was Microsofts
    > own swipe at the concept.

    Well of course. Just like Gimp is far superior to an amateur application
    like Photoshop and OpenOffice is vastly superior in every way to Microsoft
    Office. Obviously doing something as complicated as switching from one
    desktop to another is far too difficult to possibly do in Windows.

    >>> Notice the sidestep....

    >> No side step.
    >>
    >>> Answer: Who cares who invented it. I'm interested in using it not
    >>> fighting some religious war like you Linux loons are.

    >> I don't fight any religious wars. And I have been using virtual desktops
    >> for 10-ish years.

    > ...I'm still curious about this mythical virtual desktops for XP.

    Never heard of it? Windows NT has supported virtual desktops since day #1.
    This means that Windows supported virtual desktops before Linus ever wrote
    his first line of code for linux. But if you think that it's "mythical"
    then don't let the reality door hit you in the ass on your way out the
    door.

    > I've tried a few. Most are total crap. Some are a little awkward
    > but more or less 90% there. None are what I would call proper
    > virtual desktops.

    Of course they are crap and not proper virtual desktops. Just like
    Photoshop is crap compared to linux gems like Gimp.

    > They're for the most part hacks that tend to sooner or later
    > manifest quirks associated with that fact.

    Whatever. Unfortunately for you nobody gives a crap about your worthless
    opinion.

  2. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS wrote on Mon, 21 Jul
    >> 2008 22:37:56 -0400 <0Hbhk.5224$dP6.3040@bignews1.bellsouth.net>:

    >>> I highly recommend you follow this advice, Linux nerds. Spend all
    >>> your time creating flaming windows and spinning cubes - show 'em
    >>> what Linux is all about.

    > That's rich coming from someone whose desktop is so minimal it looks
    > like a throwback to the days of Norton Desktop.
    >
    > Prizes to those who can spot the difference:
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ge_TaskMgr.jpg
    > http://toastytech.com/guis/ndwfolder.gif

    I've gotten more advanced since then:

    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...Server2003.png

  3. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:30:20 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    >> That's rich coming from someone whose desktop is so minimal it looks
    >> like a throwback to the days of Norton Desktop.
    >>
    >> Prizes to those who can spot the difference:
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ge_TaskMgr.jpg
    >> http://toastytech.com/guis/ndwfolder.gif

    > I've gotten more advanced since then:
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...Server2003.png

    hahahahha!!!!

    That will teach them!!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:30:20 -0400, DFS wrote:

    >> I've gotten more advanced since then:
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...Server2003.png

    > hahahahha!!!!
    >
    > That will teach them!!!

    That's really it. Minimalist fer sure. Windows Server 2003 w/ Classic
    view - and the Themes service is even disabled so I have to go to extra
    effort to muck it up with eye-candy.

    Every few weeks it gets a little cluttered with downloads and shortcuts to
    newly installed stuff, then I clean it back to that state. I ***can't
    stand*** the distraction of a cluttered desktop (computer or real).

    Also: http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...DebianEtch.png (I'm about
    to dump that Debian slop for a KDE-based distro)

    Let's see yours Moshe!

  5. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:12:23 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > Never heard of it? Windows NT has supported virtual desktops since day
    > #1. This means that Windows supported virtual desktops before Linus ever
    > wrote his first line of code for linux. But if you think that it's
    > "mythical" then don't let the reality door hit you in the ass on your
    > way out the door.

    Supported it in what way? Third party software?

    -Thufir

  6. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    "thufir" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:12:23 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> Never heard of it? Windows NT has supported virtual desktops since day
    >> #1. This means that Windows supported virtual desktops before Linus ever
    >> wrote his first line of code for linux. But if you think that it's
    >> "mythical" then don't let the reality door hit you in the ass on your
    >> way out the door.
    >>

    > Supported it in what way? Third party software?

    It was part of the Win32 API and was supported directly by the operating
    system. The EnumDesktops, CreateDesktop, SwitchDesktop, etc function calls
    have been around since the beginning.

    > -Thufir

  7. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:18:05 GMT, thufir
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:12:23 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> Never heard of it? Windows NT has supported virtual desktops since day
    >> #1. This means that Windows supported virtual desktops before Linus ever
    >> wrote his first line of code for linux. But if you think that it's
    >> "mythical" then don't let the reality door hit you in the ass on your
    >> way out the door.
    >>

    >Supported it in what way? Third party software?

    Well, if users wanted it, it would be there. Apparently it so happens
    that nobody cares about virtual desktops, save for a handful of
    sysadmins, for which solution exists, even in open source form:

    http://www.codeplex.com/vdm

  8. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    thufir wrote:

    > fsckwit wrote:
    >>
    >> Never heard of it? Windows NT has supported virtual desktops since day
    >> #1. This means that Windows supported virtual desktops before Linus ever
    >> wrote his first line of code for linux. But if you think that it's
    >> "mythical" then don't let the reality door hit you in the ass on your
    >> way out the door.

    >Supported it in what way? Third party software?

    LOL Everyone knows that there is NO decent virtual desktops for
    Windwoes.

  9. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:14:09 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > thufir wrote:
    >
    >> fsckwit wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Never heard of it? Windows NT has supported virtual desktops since day
    >>> #1. This means that Windows supported virtual desktops before Linus ever
    >>> wrote his first line of code for linux. But if you think that it's
    >>> "mythical" then don't let the reality door hit you in the ass on your
    >>> way out the door.

    >>Supported it in what way? Third party software?

    > LOL Everyone knows that there is NO decent virtual desktops for
    > Windwoes.

    The virtual desktop program I use came with my Nvidia Graphics card.
    So did a bunch of other great utilities to tweak the display, color
    management, speed etc of the Nvidia card.

    Sorry...

    They don't work with Linux....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:08:42 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:14:09 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> thufir wrote:

    >>>Supported it in what way? Third party software?

    >> LOL Everyone knows that there is NO decent virtual desktops for
    >> Windwoes.

    > The virtual desktop program I use came with my Nvidia Graphics card. So
    > did a bunch of other great utilities to tweak the display, color
    > management, speed etc of the Nvidia card.
    >
    > Sorry...
    >
    > They don't work with Linux....

    No?

    Well, I don't need an nVidia utility to utilize virtual desktops. I have
    been using them on Linux based systems for 10-ish years.

    As for nVidia tweaking utilities, I have...
    XServer Display Configuration
    Color Correction
    XVideo Settings
    Cursor shadow
    Open GL Settings
    Antialiasing
    PowerMizer
    Vibrance
    Sharpening

    enough?

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On 2008-07-23, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >> [deletia]

    >> I would like to call bull**** on this one.
    >>
    >> I've tried a number of so called "virtual desktops" for XP and
    >> they have all fallen down rather hard. The worst was Microsofts
    >> own swipe at the concept.

    > Well of course. Just like Gimp is far superior to an amateur application
    > like Photoshop and OpenOffice is vastly superior in every way to Microsoft

    It doesn't have to be "superior" it just has to be suitable.

    Although no one has yet to come up with any real criticisms here for
    either Gimp or OpenOffice. There are some pros that rightfully knock
    Gimp but that's a very narrow area of discussion that you aren't even
    familiar with.

    > Office. Obviously doing something as complicated as switching from one
    > desktop to another is far too difficult to possibly do in Windows.

    Well, it certainly seems that way.

    >>> No side step.

    >>> I don't fight any religious wars. And I have been using virtual desktops
    >>> for 10-ish years.

    >> ...I'm still curious about this mythical virtual desktops for XP.

    > Never heard of it? Windows NT has supported virtual desktops since day #1.

    You'll have to do better than that.

    "supported" doesn't cut it.

    We can be content to know that you know as much about NT virtual
    desktops as you do about professional prepress graphics.

    > This means that Windows supported virtual desktops before Linus ever wrote
    > his first line of code for linux. But if you think that it's "mythical"

    You're funny.

    Are you really so much of a RUBE that you don't realize that this
    isn't just about "Linux"?

    I must have missed those virtual desktops in the version of Windows
    concurrent with the version version of Linux (Windows 3.1). HELL,
    any number of desktops would have been an improvement in that version
    of Windows.

    > then don't let the reality door hit you in the ass on your way out the
    > door.

    My grip on reality and memory is fine thank you.

    Silly troll.

    We didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

    I remember when the "desktop" as such finally came to NT.

    [more nonsense]

    ....as you can see, no clear refutation. Just a lot of nonsense and
    rhetoric. You know, those of us that have to use Windows from time
    to time would appreciate the "clue in" if you really have one
    yourself.

    --
    Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
    attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates |||

  12. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On 2008-07-23, OK wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:18:05 GMT, thufir
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:12:23 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>

    >>> Never heard of it? Windows NT has supported virtual desktops since day
    >>> #1. This means that Windows supported virtual desktops before Linus ever
    >>> wrote his first line of code for linux. But if you think that it's
    >>> "mythical" then don't let the reality door hit you in the ass on your
    >>> way out the door.
    >>>

    >>Supported it in what way? Third party software?
    >>

    > Well, if users wanted it, it would be there. Apparently it so happens
    > that nobody cares about virtual desktops, save for a handful of
    > sysadmins, for which solution exists, even in open source form:

    ....yeah because no one ever opens up more than 1 or 2 windows at a time.

    > http://www.codeplex.com/vdm

    ....I will have to try this one out (assuming I haven't already).

    --
    Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
    attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates |||
    the real butchers from average Joes (or Fritzes) caught up in / | \
    events not in their control.

  13. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    > OK wrote:
    >>
    >> Well, if users wanted it, it would be there.

    Wrong.

    People want security, yet M$ has not provided it. Right there, it is
    demonstrated that what users want is not necessarily what they get.

    >> Apparently it so happens
    >> that nobody cares about virtual desktops, save for a handful of
    >> sysadmins, for which solution exists, even in open source form:

    Dumb****. Most people haven't even considered the possibility,
    because they've never seen it done, because Windwoes doesn't do it.
    If more would see it, more would want it. Fsckwit.

  14. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >> Well of course. Just like Gimp is far superior to an amateur application
    >> like Photoshop and OpenOffice is vastly superior in every way to
    >> Microsoft

    > It doesn't have to be "superior" it just has to be suitable.
    >
    > Although no one has yet to come up with any real criticisms here for
    > either Gimp or OpenOffice. There are some pros that rightfully knock
    > Gimp but that's a very narrow area of discussion that you aren't even
    > familiar with.

    You don't have to be an expert to see that the entire UI of Gimp is a
    clusterfsck.

    >>> ...I'm still curious about this mythical virtual desktops for XP.

    >> Never heard of it? Windows NT has supported virtual desktops since day
    >> #1.

    > You'll have to do better than that.
    >
    > "supported" doesn't cut it.

    "Supported" means that it was supported directly by the OS. In order to use
    it people didn't need to write any clever code or hacks to get multiple
    desktops. From the very begining the API for Windows-NT implemented a full
    set of "desktop" API calls like CreateDesktop, CloseDesktop, EnumDesktops,
    OpenDesktop, SwitchDesktop, etc. It was directly "supported" by the
    operating system and had documented API calls to implement multiple
    desktops.

    > We can be content to know that you know as much about NT virtual
    > desktops as you do about professional prepress graphics.

    Evidently I know a hell of a lot more about NT virtual desktops since you've
    never heard of this "mythical" feature.

    >> This means that Windows supported virtual desktops before Linus ever
    >> wrote
    >> his first line of code for linux. But if you think that it's "mythical"

    > You're funny.
    >
    > Are you really so much of a RUBE that you don't realize that this
    > isn't just about "Linux"?

    I never claimed that it was just about linux. I made this remark to put into
    context just how long NT had "support" for virtual desktops.

    > I must have missed those virtual desktops in the version of Windows
    > concurrent with the version version of Linux (Windows 3.1). HELL,
    > any number of desktops would have been an improvement in that version
    > of Windows.

    There was never any "support" for virtual desktops in Windows 3.1 or any
    version of Windows in the 16-bit product line. Perhaps somebody came up with
    some hack and was able to do it but it was never supported by the OS.

    >> then don't let the reality door hit you in the ass on your way out the
    >> door.

    > My grip on reality and memory is fine thank you.

    This explains why after 15+ years you still didn't realize that virtual
    desktops are directly supported by the OS on Windows.

    > Silly troll.
    >
    > We didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

    Did you fall off the day before?

  15. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:39:47 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Supported" means that it was supported directly by the OS. In order to
    > use it people didn't need to write any clever code or hacks to get
    > multiple desktops. From the very begining the API for Windows-NT
    > implemented a full set of "desktop" API calls like CreateDesktop,
    > CloseDesktop, EnumDesktops, OpenDesktop, SwitchDesktop, etc. It was
    > directly "supported" by the operating system and had documented API calls
    > to implement multiple desktops.

    In other words in order to use it people had to write clever code to get
    multiple desktops. While end user support for multiple desktops has been
    around for years out the box for Linux, AIX, Solaris.

    Bug

  16. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly:
    > On 2008-07-23, OK wrote:
    >> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:18:05 GMT, thufir
    >> wrote:

    >> Apparently it so happens that nobody cares about virtual desktops,
    >> save for a handful of sysadmins

    Why would sysadmins care about virtual desktops more than other users?

    As a sysadmin, I wouldn't care about desktops at /all/, virtual or
    otherwise, since none of my servers even have monitors connected to
    them, much less the software required to display a desktop.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | GPL: You can't scare me with this Gestapo crap.
    | I know my rights.
    | I want my phone call.
    | DRM: Tell me, what good is a phone call ...
    | if you're unable to speak?
    `----

    18:07:38 up 215 days, 14:43, 4 users, load average: 0.32, 0.29, 0.27

  17. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    "bugbuster" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.07.23.17.04.34.736118@nowhere.org...
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:39:47 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> "Supported" means that it was supported directly by the OS. In order to
    >> use it people didn't need to write any clever code or hacks to get
    >> multiple desktops. From the very begining the API for Windows-NT
    >> implemented a full set of "desktop" API calls like CreateDesktop,
    >> CloseDesktop, EnumDesktops, OpenDesktop, SwitchDesktop, etc. It was
    >> directly "supported" by the operating system and had documented API calls
    >> to implement multiple desktops.
    >>

    > In other words in order to use it people had to write clever code to get
    > multiple desktops. While end user support for multiple desktops has been
    > around for years out the box for Linux, AIX, Solaris.

    What a silly notion. Of course people who wanted to use virtual desktops
    didn't have to write any code to do this. They would simply run an
    application and use that. No different from the notion that
    linux/aix/solaris users that "want to save data to disk" need to write
    clever code to write to a file.

    Now if the OS didn't support file I/O (or virtual desktops) then the people
    who write these applications would certainly need to do some clever things.
    Any application that a computer user runs had to be written by somebody.

    > Bug

  18. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On 2008-07-23, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "bugbuster" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.07.23.17.04.34.736118@nowhere.org...
    >> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:39:47 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Supported" means that it was supported directly by the OS. In order to
    >>> use it people didn't need to write any clever code or hacks to get
    >>> multiple desktops. From the very begining the API for Windows-NT
    >>> implemented a full set of "desktop" API calls like CreateDesktop,
    >>> CloseDesktop, EnumDesktops, OpenDesktop, SwitchDesktop, etc. It was
    >>> directly "supported" by the operating system and had documented API calls
    >>> to implement multiple desktops.
    >>>

    >> In other words in order to use it people had to write clever code to get
    >> multiple desktops. While end user support for multiple desktops has been
    >> around for years out the box for Linux, AIX, Solaris.

    > What a silly notion. Of course people who wanted to use virtual desktops
    > didn't have to write any code to do this. They would simply run an
    > application and use that. No different from the notion that

    ....and those would be?

    Of course you have no clue about this and are yet again
    blathering on about things that you have absolutely no
    actual knowledge or experience with.

    > linux/aix/solaris users that "want to save data to disk" need to write
    > clever code to write to a file.

    Nope... all of that is already built into the default shell.

    It's kind of like X and virtual desktops.

    [deletia]

    --
    Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
    attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates |||
    the real butchers from average Joes (or Fritzes) caught up in / | \
    events not in their control.

  19. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:48:32 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "bugbuster" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.07.23.17.04.34.736118@nowhere.org...
    >> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:39:47 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Supported" means that it was supported directly by the OS. In order to
    >>> use it people didn't need to write any clever code or hacks to get
    >>> multiple desktops. From the very begining the API for Windows-NT
    >>> implemented a full set of "desktop" API calls like CreateDesktop,
    >>> CloseDesktop, EnumDesktops, OpenDesktop, SwitchDesktop, etc. It was
    >>> directly "supported" by the operating system and had documented API
    >>> calls to implement multiple desktops.
    >>>

    >> In other words in order to use it people had to write clever code to get
    >> multiple desktops. While end user support for multiple desktops has
    >> been around for years out the box for Linux, AIX, Solaris.

    > What a silly notion. Of course people who wanted to use virtual desktops
    > didn't have to write any code to do this. They would simply run an
    > application and use that. No different from the notion that
    > linux/aix/solaris users that "want to save data to disk" need to write
    > clever code to write to a file.

    Code must be written to use the API. Either the user has to write the
    code or he has to find an application that uses it. The end user
    interface to support virtual desktops is not available out of the box for
    Windows while it is for Linux, AIX, and Solaris. As for saving files,
    the end user interface for that is available out the box for Windows,
    Linux, AIX, and Solaris so it hardly is a valid comparison.

    > Now if the OS didn't support file I/O (or virtual desktops) then the
    > people who write these applications would certainly need to do some
    > clever things. Any application that a computer user runs had to be
    > written by somebody.
    >
    >> Bug

    Bug

  20. Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

    On 2008-07-23, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-07-23, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "bugbuster" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2008.07.23.17.04.34.736118@nowhere.org...

    >>> In other words in order to use it people had to write clever code to get
    >>> multiple desktops. While end user support for multiple desktops has been
    >>> around for years out the box for Linux, AIX, Solaris.

    >> What a silly notion. Of course people who wanted to use virtual desktops
    >> didn't have to write any code to do this. They would simply run an
    >> application and use that. No different from the notion that

    > ...and those would be?
    >
    > Of course you have no clue about this and are yet again
    > blathering on about things that you have absolutely no
    > actual knowledge or experience with.
    >
    >> linux/aix/solaris users that "want to save data to disk" need to write
    >> clever code to write to a file.

    > Nope... all of that is already built into the default shell.

    And that is the difference. NT based systems support the concept of virtual
    desktops - in fact, these calls are used a lot by services that need to
    interact with the desktop environment... But, MS chose not to expose them in
    Explorer.exe - the default windows shell. Nothing stops 3rd parties from
    writing either shell extensions or replacement shells that fully support
    multiple desktops... And if you look around, there are a few - ms powertoy,
    the nvidia thingy, etc. But, to be honest, I don't believe there is a lot of
    demand for this. If there was, I guarntee you would have seen some commercial
    app fill this void long ago....

    --
    Tom Shelton