[News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    > 10 things I’ve overheard about my Linux laptop while on public
    > transportation

    "Where's that nice blue screensaver?"

    "You've hacked Windows!!! You terrorist!!!"

    "When you click on the Web thingy, why do you only get one window?
    When I click mine I get seventy, with offers for wonderful products."

    "I think your fan's broken."

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    13:40:09 up 214 days, 10:15, 3 users, load average: 0.22, 0.31, 0.37

  3. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:40:22 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >> 10 things Ive overheard about my Linux laptop while on public
    >> transportation

    "Does it run Quicken?"
    No?
    Oh well, I'm not interested.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "When you click on the Web thingy, why do you only get one window?
    > When I click mine I get seventy, with offers for wonderful products."

    Yesterday, I went here:

    http://www.boozoobajou.com/

    and Iceweasel 3 complained about not understanding the protocol. X
    Windows went wild spawning new instances of iceweasel (firefox-bin).
    It finally froze up, and I had to use Alt-SysRq-r to grab control of the
    keyboard.

    I killed all the instances from a virtual console window, but X was
    still fah-rozen.

    I then tried lynx and links, and they both would go to background.

    Today, lynx is acting fine. I used wget to get some of the docs from
    that site, and having seen anything that looks like it could cause any
    problems.

    I'll try again with popups blocked, at a more convenient time.

    > "I think your fan's broken."

    You can make the fan turn on quite easily with the gkrellmi8k plugin
    . I uninstalled that thing and just settled for the Sensors
    output.

    --
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    -- W. C. Fields

  5. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    On 2008-07-22, Linonut wrote:
    > * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> "When you click on the Web thingy, why do you only get one window?
    >> When I click mine I get seventy, with offers for wonderful products."

    > Yesterday, I went here:
    >
    > http://www.boozoobajou.com/
    >
    > and Iceweasel 3 complained about not understanding the protocol. X

    No such luck...

    I just got the one window. Of course I have scripts off by default
    so that could have been part of it. I put this site on my whitelist
    and it still didn't spawn 70 other windows (or tabs). Although I still
    had the popup blocking on. Then there's the ad blocker too.

    All it takes is one obnoxious site and you end up in permanent
    lockdown. It's not too bad though. Enabling javascript is a minor
    nuissance and I am sure that it would be "too much" for other people.

    Although it works out in the end.

    Sandbox your web browser... be brutal about it.

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  6. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-07-22, Linonut wrote:
    >> * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> "When you click on the Web thingy, why do you only get one window?
    >>> When I click mine I get seventy, with offers for wonderful products."

    >> Yesterday, I went here:
    >>
    >> http://www.boozoobajou.com/
    >>
    >> and Iceweasel 3 complained about not understanding the protocol. X

    > No such luck...
    >
    > I just got the one window. Of course I have scripts off by default
    > so that could have been part of it. I put this site on my whitelist
    > and it still didn't spawn 70 other windows (or tabs). Although I still
    > had the popup blocking on. Then there's the ad blocker too.

    Maybe Liarnut had just visited Roy's trojan/virus infested site to put
    in his expenses claims and got owned?

  7. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:00:44 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-07-22, Linonut wrote:
    >>> * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Yesterday, I went here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.boozoobajou.com/
    >>>
    >>> and Iceweasel 3 complained about not understanding the protocol. X

    >> No such luck...
    >>
    >> I just got the one window. Of course I have scripts off by default
    >> so that could have been part of it. I put this site on my whitelist
    >> and it still didn't spawn 70 other windows (or tabs). Although I still
    >> had the popup blocking on. Then there's the ad blocker too.

    > Maybe Liarnut had just visited Roy's trojan/virus infested site to put
    > in his expenses claims and got owned?

    It wouldn't surprise me.
    Liarnut changed his tune to the Schestowitz station, overnight....

    We all know Roy Schestowitz was running a trojan riddled site for weeks,
    infecting visitors, before he finally decided to fix it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:00:44 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH writes:

    >>> No such luck...
    >>>
    >>> I just got the one window. Of course I have scripts off by default
    >>> so that could have been part of it. I put this site on my whitelist
    >>> and it still didn't spawn 70 other windows (or tabs). Although I still
    >>> had the popup blocking on. Then there's the ad blocker too.

    >> Maybe Liarnut had just visited Roy's trojan/virus infested site to put
    >> in his expenses claims and got owned?

    > It wouldn't surprise me.
    > Liarnut changed his tune to the Schestowitz station, overnight....
    >
    > We all know Roy Schestowitz was running a trojan riddled site for weeks,
    > infecting visitors, before he finally decided to fix it.

    I received an email from a reliable source which informed me that Roy's
    masters were none too happy with the whole "infection" thing he had
    going. There were rumours of things leeching private data of all
    sorts. I leave the rest to your imagination.

    --
    "By your and your buddies references, marketshare.hitslink.com, it has
    moved from .43 to .68 over the last year. Increasing by 58% over the last

  9. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:25:30 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> Maybe Liarnut had just visited Roy's trojan/virus infested site to put
    >>> in his expenses claims and got owned?

    >> It wouldn't surprise me.
    >> Liarnut changed his tune to the Schestowitz station, overnight....
    >>
    >> We all know Roy Schestowitz was running a trojan riddled site for weeks,
    >> infecting visitors, before he finally decided to fix it.

    > I received an email from a reliable source which informed me that Roy's
    > masters were none too happy with the whole "infection" thing he had
    > going. There were rumours of things leeching private data of all
    > sorts. I leave the rest to your imagination.

    Seeing some of the tactics that Roy Schestowitz has used in the past to get
    people kicked off various blogs etc, nothing that he does would surprise
    me.

    He is a mercenary on a mission much like a paid soldier in a war that the
    public doesn't know exists.

    I've received a number of emails from anonymous sources claiming various
    nefarious tactics used by Schestowitz and his mob to silence people they
    don't agree with.

    I don't mention it because I can't prove any of these claims but they are
    quite interesting and just as a hint, anyone who doesn't believe
    Schestowitz and his mob are an organized cell on a mission is a fool.

    They communicate offline, participate in email campaigns to get people
    tossed, have others out digging up dirt and so forth.

    It is far more organized than one would think although the long term effect
    is that they end up looking like a collection of idiots on some religious
    mission from God.

    In the end though it's going to be Schestowitz's uncanny ability to piss
    people off that is going to be his downfall.
    There are at least two people who email me that are walking a fine line
    which may lead to the Schestowitz SPAM campaign unraveling.

    Time will tell if they decide to speak up or not but if they don't others
    will come along and willingly spill the beans on Schestowitz and company
    and it will end up being someone close to him whom he has belittled and
    pissed off.

    Remember, stay close to your enemies but keep your frends closer, or
    something like that.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > Time will tell if they decide to speak up or not but if they don't others
    > will come along and willingly spill the beans on Schestowitz and company
    > and it will end up being someone close to him whom he has belittled and
    > pissed off.

    Yup. A real "Et tu Markus?" springs to mind.

    > Remember, stay close to your enemies but keep your frends closer, or
    > something like that.

    Once has to wonder how many of Roy's servants are really "reverse
    trolls" just encouraging him to dig himself deeper into lawsuit
    territory.

    --
    "Let the body stay buried wherever he put it, maybe it'll get
    found some day, maybe not. "

  11. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Sandbox your web browser... be brutal about it.

    Yeah, you're right.

    I'll have to enable Javascript every day to do my frickin' time sheet,
    though.

    --
    Sign here without admitting guilt.

  12. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:56:12 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >

    >> Time will tell if they decide to speak up or not but if they don't others
    >> will come along and willingly spill the beans on Schestowitz and company
    >> and it will end up being someone close to him whom he has belittled and
    >> pissed off.

    > Yup. A real "Et tu Markus?" springs to mind.

    Exactly!
    The problem with narcissists is that they ultimately become their own
    undoing because of the vast number of people they tend to aggravate.

    >> Remember, stay close to your enemies but keep your frends closer, or
    >> something like that.

    > Once has to wonder how many of Roy's servants are really "reverse
    > trolls" just encouraging him to dig himself deeper into lawsuit
    > territory.

    I've wondered that one myself.
    Just the fact that Schestowitz supports the obvious total lunacy of people
    like Rex Ballard and HPT is an indication that he is indeed skimming from
    the bottom of the barrel due to desperation.

    The problem with that tactic is that you get what you pay for.

    I had a friend once who had an amazing ability to get people to do strange
    things.
    He could go into a club and just by making small talk have the entire
    place, or most of it, embroiled in a battle all the while he would sit back
    and watch the action take place.

    He was king of like Hogan in the TV serious Hogan's Hero's.
    Hogan gets Klink to do all sorts of things by playing the negative aspect
    along with a dose of the positive thrown in.

    My friend was an expert at working a crowd in that manner.

    I wonder if some of Roy's so called *friends* are really just setting him
    up for the fall.
    They can't all be *that* stupid to believe his tripe can they?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: [News] Linux in the Train Gets Interesting Reactions

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:07:32 -0400
    :
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:40:22 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >>> 10 things Ive overheard about my Linux laptop while on public
    >>> transportation

    > "Does it run Quicken?"
    > No?
    > Oh well, I'm not interested.

    A fair comment, to be sure -- though work is continuing.

    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=8113

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.