[News] Lowes Moving to GNU/Linux - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Lowes Moving to GNU/Linux

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:33:44 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Linux at Lowes

    They have been running Linux for some time now, at least where I live.
    We do get a decent amount of new stuff here because the area is considered
    a "test market", much like Atlanta is as well.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Lowes Moving to GNU/Linux

    On 2008-07-21, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > Linux at Lowes

    >| Curious about how long they had been using Linux, I did a quick Google search
    >| and found that I wasn't the only eagle eyed shopper spotting Linux at Lowes,
    >| the subject has been kicked around for at least three or four years.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.helpmerick.com/linux_lowes.htm

    That's why I was sure this subject wasn't new. I couldn't recall when,
    but I knew I'd heard of Lowes using linux back about the time when they
    first started using it.

    --
    Windows: So easy to admin, even a worm can do it.

  4. Re: [News] Lowes Moving to GNU/Linux

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:33:44 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Linux at Lowes

    > They have been running Linux for some time now, at least where I live.
    > We do get a decent amount of new stuff here because the area is considered
    > a "test market", much like Atlanta is as well.

    But who the hell are FON? A quick look did not disappoint. A bunch of
    self important blow hards.

  5. Re: [News] Lowes Moving to GNU/Linux

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Linux at Lowes

    "Moving to" linux? Lowes has been using linux since 2002 you moron. Are you
    saying that just like the city of Munich, they still haven't finished the
    migration?

  6. Re: [News] Lowes Moving to GNU/Linux

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:55:27 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Linux at Lowes

    > "Moving to" linux? Lowes has been using linux since 2002 you moron. Are
    > you saying that just like the city of Munich, they still haven't
    > finished the migration?

    But, according to the Linux naysayers... no one uses Linux based systems.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: [News] Lowes Moving to GNU/Linux

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:07:14 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:55:27 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Linux at Lowes

    >> "Moving to" linux? Lowes has been using linux since 2002 you moron.
    >> Are you saying that just like the city of Munich, they still haven't
    >> finished the migration?

    > But, according to the Linux naysayers... no one uses Linux based
    > systems.

    Especially for business transactions which one DooFuS declares is the only
    usage that really matters. BTW - I notice that all the major stock markets
    are settling on Linux, as well.

  8. Re: [News] Lowes Moving to GNU/Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:07:14 -0500
    :
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:55:27 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Linux at Lowes

    >> "Moving to" linux? Lowes has been using linux since 2002 you moron. Are
    >> you saying that just like the city of Munich, they still haven't
    >> finished the migration?

    > But, according to the Linux naysayers... no one uses Linux based systems.

    No one does...directly. Almost everyone interacts through
    KDE, Gnome, or applications using KDE, Gnome, or X. ;-)

    That's one reason why Linux is so desirable; the
    programming environment is bog-standard so one can port
    to FreeBSD in a pinch, or OSX, or even Windows.

    Of course, presumably Joe Average won't
    quite understand this issue, being used to
    "double-click-software-and-it-installs"-ware.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #992398129:
    void f(unsigned u) { if(u < 0) ... }

  9. Re: [News] Lowes Moving to GNU/Linux

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:42:21 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:33:44 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Linux at Lowes

    >> They have been running Linux for some time now, at least where I live.
    >> We do get a decent amount of new stuff here because the area is considered
    >> a "test market", much like Atlanta is as well.

    > But who the hell are FON? A quick look did not disappoint. A bunch of
    > self important blow hards.

    Yep!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb