Only-development linux distribution - Linux

This is a discussion on Only-development linux distribution - Linux ; Sorry, the italian message was in the wrong newsgroup. My problem is: There are different linux distributions, but I need a light-one at following conditions: 1) the gui is absolutly not necessary, the command-line interface is sufficient 2) I don't ...

  1. Only-development linux distribution

    Sorry, the italian message was in the wrong newsgroup.
    My problem is: There are different linux distributions, but I need a
    light-one at following conditions:
    1) the gui is absolutly not necessary, the command-line interface is
    sufficient
    2) I don't need audio, internet, firewall, games, word processing
    applications, databases application, e-mail managing. I just need the c/c++
    compiler in order to develop and compile c/c++ apps in linux.
    3) Then, I need the possibility to use ssh or telnet, for a remote shell.
    So the functionalities I require are few, but current distributions are
    quite at least 1 gb.
    I need a minimum linux distribution, to develop in c/c++, doing it via
    remote shell.
    How can I choose? What do you think about?
    Thanks in advance,

    --
    Fabio De Dominicis

  2. Re: Only-development linux distribution

    "Fabio De Dominicis" writes:
    > Sorry, the italian message was in the wrong newsgroup.
    > My problem is: There are different linux distributions, but I need a
    > light-one at following conditions:
    > 1) the gui is absolutly not necessary, the command-line interface is
    > sufficient
    > 2) I don't need audio, internet, firewall, games, word processing
    > applications, databases application, e-mail managing. I just need the c/c++
    > compiler in order to develop and compile c/c++ apps in linux.
    > 3) Then, I need the possibility to use ssh or telnet, for a remote shell.
    > So the functionalities I require are few, but current distributions are
    > quite at least 1 gb.
    > I need a minimum linux distribution, to develop in c/c++, doing it via
    > remote shell.
    > How can I choose? What do you think about?

    This depends on how much effort you plan to put into it (eg put the
    system together from source manually, only adding what you consider to
    be useful for some reason). What I would do is start with minimal
    Debian install, ie only the base system and no additional packages
    whatsoever, and use the 'package management tool you feel comfortable
    with' (which is apt-get for me) to add more software as needed.

    NB: That's a way I consider to be reasonably comfortable and
    reasonably 'good' at achieving the intended result.

  3. Re: Only-development linux distribution

    On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 21:36 +0100, Fabio De Dominicis wrote:
    > Sorry, the italian message was in the wrong newsgroup.
    > My problem is: There are different linux distributions, but I need a
    > light-one at following conditions:
    > 1) the gui is absolutly not necessary, the command-line interface is
    > sufficient
    > 2) I don't need audio, internet, firewall, games, word processing
    > applications, databases application, e-mail managing. I just need the c/c++
    > compiler in order to develop and compile c/c++ apps in linux.
    > 3) Then, I need the possibility to use ssh or telnet, for a remote shell..
    > So the functionalities I require are few, but current distributions are
    > quite at least 1 gb.
    > I need a minimum linux distribution, to develop in c/c++, doing it via
    > remote shell.
    > How can I choose? What do you think about?
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > --
    > Fabio De Dominicis

    I'd go for a Debian Lenny install. The basic install is pretty small
    (about 250MB):

    http://www.debian.org/releases/stabl...apds02.html.en

    ...and it's flexible so you can build on it, add and remove as you please
    using APT.

    --
    Lars Rune Nøstdal || AJAX/Comet GUI type stuff for Common Lisp
    http://nostdal.org/ || http://groups.google.com/group/symbolicweb

+ Reply to Thread