I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops - Linux

This is a discussion on I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops - Linux ; That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops

    That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops

    I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.

  2. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linuxlaptops

    DFS wrote:
    > That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >
    > I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.

    I have one. It's right next to me right now.

  3. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" thanLinux laptops

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:13:59 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >
    > I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.

    I've seen infinitely more vista laptop users cursing their damned
    computers than Linux laptops - everywhere. In fact, I've seen quite a
    number of Linux laptop users - they are all just happily using their
    systems.

  4. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops

    Ben wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >>
    >> I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.
    >>

    > I have one. It's right next to me right now.

    By jove! Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Ben.
    Blimey, THREE Vista laptops? After it's been almost exclusively available on
    new laptops for over 18 months?
    I guess Vista must be selling really well?

    Sad about him not expecting to see a Linux laptop out in public during his
    lifetime though. One dreads to ask what the diagnosis was, but presumably
    this could well have been the last post that DFS writes to this group.
    Ah well..... R.I.P.

  5. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops

    Ben wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >>
    >> I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.
    >>

    > I have one. It's right next to me right now.

    Are you having an autoerotic relationship with it, like the creepy Linonut?

    "There's nothing quite like have a UNIX-based system in your lap, is there?"

  6. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops

    Ben wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >>
    >> I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.
    >>

    > I have one. It's right next to me right now.

    Wow! THREE (count 'em!) Vista ME laptops! And Microsoft has an OEM
    stranglehold. That must mean that most new laptop owners are finding ways
    to avoid the crap.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" thanLinux laptops

    "DFS" stated in post
    bLOgk.4411$9V5.3511@bignews6.bellsouth.net on 7/20/08 3:13 PM:

    > That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >
    > I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.

    I have seen *one* business that used to run on Linux - Nationwide Vision.
    The employees hated it - though that may have been because of the
    application and not the OS. The company did switch back to Windows though.

    --
    "Uh... ask me after we ship the next version of Windows [laughs] then I'll
    be more open to give you a blunt answer." - Bill Gates

  8. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linuxlaptops

    DFS wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>> That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >>>
    >>> I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.
    >>>

    >> I have one. It's right next to me right now.

    > Are you having an autoerotic relationship with it, like the creepy Linonut?
    >
    > "There's nothing quite like have a UNIX-based system in your lap, is there?"

    Indeed. Only you would think of it like that.

  9. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops

    RonB wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>> That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >>>
    >>> I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.
    >>>

    >> I have one. It's right next to me right now.

    > Wow! THREE (count 'em!) Vista ME laptops! And Microsoft has an OEM
    > stranglehold.

    Liar. OEMs decide to sell Windows after negotiating a contract with
    Microsoft, or by purchasing and reselling OEM versions through places like
    NewEgg.

    > That must mean that most new laptop owners are finding
    > ways to avoid the crap.

    All it means is I don't hover over people in public like that dork Rasker.
    If this was a Rasker post, I would have talked to the Linux laptop victim,
    and they would have told me they can't stand it, blah blah blah.

    If I can identify the OS when walking by casually, as in the coffee section
    of a bookstore, I will. Mostly I see XP.

    I've never seen a Linux laptop in public, and I very likely never will -
    unless I hold my nose and attend a Lusers Users Group meeting.

  10. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops

    On 2008-07-20, RonB wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>> That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >>>
    >>> I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.
    >>>

    >> I have one. It's right next to me right now.

    > Wow! THREE (count 'em!) Vista ME laptops! And Microsoft has an OEM
    > stranglehold. That must mean that most new laptop owners are finding ways
    > to avoid the crap.

    I was thinking the exact same thing myself.

    Vista is just this years version of the same OS that's been forcefed
    through OEMs for 20 years. So it should be ALL OVER THE PLACE by now.

    It sounds like this guy has been seeing more MAC laptops than Vista
    laptops and just doesn't want to admit it...

    --
    Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    / | \

  11. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" thanLinux laptops

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:13:59 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >
    > I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.

    So what?
    Beeg Deel.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops

    Ben wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Ben wrote:

    >>> I have one. It's right next to me right now.

    >> Are you having an autoerotic relationship with it, like the creepy
    >> Linonut? "There's nothing quite like have a UNIX-based system in your
    >> lap, is
    >> there?"

    > Indeed. Only you would think of it like that.

    Only a *nix creep would specify "in my lap".

  13. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:13:59 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >
    > I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.

    I've seen exactly one Linux laptop being used in the last 5 years or so and
    I travel many times a year.

    I do see an increasing number of Macbooks though.
    Huge increase in fact.

    Linux?

    Not even on the radar map.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  14. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" thanLinux laptops

    "Rick" stated in post
    NtKdnWhmu6GRex7VnZ2dnUVZ_jmdnZ2d@supernews.com on 7/20/08 6:27 PM:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:13:59 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >>
    >> I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.

    > So what?
    > Beeg Deel.

    I have not seen you use that mantra of yours in a while!

    --
    Picture of a tuna milkshake: http://snipurl.com/f34z
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  15. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linuxlaptops

    DFS wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Are you having an autoerotic relationship with it, like the creepy
    >>> Linonut? "There's nothing quite like have a UNIX-based system in your
    >>> lap, is
    >>> there?"

    >> Indeed. Only you would think of it like that.

    > Only a *nix creep would specify "in my lap".

    Actually I said "right next to me".

    Quite different to "in my lap". It was quoted in the same post you made
    just now.

  16. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linuxlaptops

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:13:59 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >>
    >> I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.

    > I've seen exactly one Linux laptop being used in the last 5 years or so and
    > I travel many times a year.
    >
    > I do see an increasing number of Macbooks though.
    > Huge increase in fact.
    >
    > Linux?
    >
    > Not even on the radar map.....

    Your "travels" must be pretty limited then.

  17. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 02:49:13 +0100, Ben wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:13:59 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >>>
    >>> I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.

    >> I've seen exactly one Linux laptop being used in the last 5 years or so and
    >> I travel many times a year.
    >>
    >> I do see an increasing number of Macbooks though.
    >> Huge increase in fact.
    >>
    >> Linux?
    >>
    >> Not even on the radar map.....
    >>

    > Your "travels" must be pretty limited then.

    Nope.

    All over the world.....

    I've seen a Linux laptop exactly once.

    Hey, you can do the experiment yourself in fact.

    Just visit your local airport and take a look for yourself.

    Check out the lounges, gates, hotspot areas etc and you will quickly be
    educated.
    Linux is no place to be found.
    It's a fact.
    Get used to it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" thanLinux laptops

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 02:49:13 +0100, Ben wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:13:59 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> That is, I've now seen 3 Vista laptops and 0 Linux laptops
    >>>
    >>> I expect in my lifetime to never see a Linux laptop out in public.

    >> I've seen exactly one Linux laptop being used in the last 5 years or so
    >> and I travel many times a year.
    >>
    >> I do see an increasing number of Macbooks though. Huge increase in
    >> fact.
    >>
    >> Linux?
    >>
    >> Not even on the radar map.....
    >>

    > Your "travels" must be pretty limited then.

    flatfarb has never seen an Eee or an OLPC. It's never seen my laptop.
    It's never been anywhere where it might see a Linux based laptop. It's
    world view would collapse.

    --
    Rick

  19. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linuxlaptops

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 02:49:13 +0100, Ben wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> I've seen exactly one Linux laptop being used in the last 5 years or so and
    >>> I travel many times a year.
    >>>
    >>> I do see an increasing number of Macbooks though.
    >>> Huge increase in fact.
    >>>
    >>> Linux?
    >>>
    >>> Not even on the radar map.....
    >>>

    >> Your "travels" must be pretty limited then.

    > Nope.
    >
    > All over the world.....
    >
    > I've seen a Linux laptop exactly once.
    >
    > Hey, you can do the experiment yourself in fact.
    >
    > Just visit your local airport and take a look for yourself.
    >
    > Check out the lounges, gates, hotspot areas etc and you will quickly be
    > educated.
    > Linux is no place to be found.
    > It's a fact.
    > Get used to it.

    I saw a Linux laptop last time I was at the airport, about a month ago,
    actually.

  20. Re: I've seen infinitely more Vista laptops "in the wild" than Linux laptops

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 03:14:44 +0100, Ben wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Your "travels" must be pretty limited then.

    >> Nope.
    >>
    >> All over the world.....
    >>
    >> I've seen a Linux laptop exactly once.
    >>
    >> Hey, you can do the experiment yourself in fact.
    >>
    >> Just visit your local airport and take a look for yourself.
    >>
    >> Check out the lounges, gates, hotspot areas etc and you will quickly be
    >> educated.
    >> Linux is no place to be found.
    >> It's a fact.
    >> Get used to it.
    >>

    > I saw a Linux laptop last time I was at the airport, about a month ago,
    > actually.

    I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it's highly unlikely and when
    put into the scheme of things, Windows and Mac have Linux beat by a million
    miles.

    I still see people on planes using CD Walkmans instead of mp3 players.
    It's rare, but they are out there.