Put yourself in a newbie's postion - Linux

This is a discussion on Put yourself in a newbie's postion - Linux ; And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu expanded (say Applications | Accessories) 1) Expand the menu http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG ). 2) Hit PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step, either) 3) Open ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu expanded
    (say Applications | Accessories)

    1) Expand the menu
    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG).
    2) Hit PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step,
    either)
    3) Open an image-editing app and hit Ctrl+V (again nothing happens in Linux,
    but in Windows the image is pasted).
    4) The newbie spots 'Take Screenshot' and clicks it, expecting to see a
    screencapture. Instead he gets a full-screen view with no expanded menus.

    What does the adventurous newbie have to do at this point to get his menus
    screenshot? How does he know where to look, or which apps to install (if
    any)?

    Linux: it's a chore

  2. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu expanded
    > (say Applications | Accessories)
    >
    > 1) Expand the menu
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG).
    > 2) Hit PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step,
    > either)
    > 3) Open an image-editing app and hit Ctrl+V (again nothing happens in Linux,
    > but in Windows the image is pasted).
    > 4) The newbie spots 'Take Screenshot' and clicks it, expecting to see a
    > screencapture. Instead he gets a full-screen view with no expanded menus.
    >
    > What does the adventurous newbie have to do at this point to get his menus
    > screenshot? How does he know where to look, or which apps to install (if
    > any)?
    >
    > Linux: it's a chore

    And then you have sometimes the cut and paste works from the mouse button
    menu, sometimes from the toolbar menu, sometimes from both, most times you
    have to use one or the other and not mix.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu expanded
    >> (say Applications | Accessories)
    >>
    >> 1) Expand the menu
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG).
    >> 2) Hit PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step,
    >> either)
    >> 3) Open an image-editing app and hit Ctrl+V (again nothing happens in Linux,
    >> but in Windows the image is pasted).
    >> 4) The newbie spots 'Take Screenshot' and clicks it, expecting to see a
    >> screencapture. Instead he gets a full-screen view with no expanded menus.
    >>
    >> What does the adventurous newbie have to do at this point to get his menus
    >> screenshot? How does he know where to look, or which apps to install (if
    >> any)?
    >>
    >> Linux: it's a chore

    > And then you have sometimes the cut and paste works from the mouse button
    > menu, sometimes from the toolbar menu, sometimes from both, most times you
    > have to use one or the other and not mix.

    According to Rick thats what "choice" is. He now does not think that is
    a fractured UI apparently.

    --
    "True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have been no
    improvements to Microsoft's operating system and office software. It

  4. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    "Hadron" stated in post
    g60c7b$gu9$3@registered.motzarella.org on 7/20/08 2:54 PM:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu expanded
    >>> (say Applications | Accessories)
    >>>
    >>> 1) Expand the menu
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG).
    >>> 2) Hit PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step,
    >>> either)
    >>> 3) Open an image-editing app and hit Ctrl+V (again nothing happens in Linux,
    >>> but in Windows the image is pasted).
    >>> 4) The newbie spots 'Take Screenshot' and clicks it, expecting to see a
    >>> screencapture. Instead he gets a full-screen view with no expanded menus.
    >>>
    >>> What does the adventurous newbie have to do at this point to get his menus
    >>> screenshot? How does he know where to look, or which apps to install (if
    >>> any)?
    >>>
    >>> Linux: it's a chore

    >> And then you have sometimes the cut and paste works from the mouse button
    >> menu, sometimes from the toolbar menu, sometimes from both, most times you
    >> have to use one or the other and not mix.

    > According to Rick thats what "choice" is. He now does not think that is
    > a fractured UI apparently.

    Well, other than when he is talking about how such fracturing is not "best
    for the user". And his only explanation for his flip flopping is that the
    Google record must be lying.

    --
    Picture of a tuna milkshake: http://snipurl.com/f34z
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  5. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu
    > expanded (say Applications | Accessories)
    >
    > 1) Expand the menu
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG). 2) Hit
    > PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step,
    > either)
    > 3) Open an image-editing app and hit Ctrl+V (again nothing happens in
    > Linux, but in Windows the image is pasted).
    > 4) The newbie spots 'Take Screenshot' and clicks it, expecting to see a
    > screencapture. Instead he gets a full-screen view with no expanded
    > menus.
    >
    > What does the adventurous newbie have to do at this point to get his
    > menus screenshot? How does he know where to look, or which apps to
    > install (if any)?
    >
    > Linux: it's a chore

    OK - I've just put myself in a newbie's position. And I've asked myself:
    "why in hell would I want to take a screenshot of a Gnome-based system
    with a menu expaned"? So far, I've not been able to come up with an answer.

  6. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    ray wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu
    >> expanded (say Applications | Accessories)
    >>
    >> 1) Expand the menu
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG). 2) Hit
    >> PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step,
    >> either)
    >> 3) Open an image-editing app and hit Ctrl+V (again nothing happens in
    >> Linux, but in Windows the image is pasted).
    >> 4) The newbie spots 'Take Screenshot' and clicks it, expecting to see a
    >> screencapture. Instead he gets a full-screen view with no expanded
    >> menus.
    >>
    >> What does the adventurous newbie have to do at this point to get his
    >> menus screenshot? How does he know where to look, or which apps to
    >> install (if any)?
    >>
    >> Linux: it's a chore

    > OK - I've just put myself in a newbie's position. And I've asked myself:
    > "why in hell would I want to take a screenshot of a Gnome-based system
    > with a menu expaned"? So far, I've not been able to come up with an answer.

    They could be posting the image to a support forum to demonstrate the
    problem graphically.

  7. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    Ben wrote:
    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu
    >>> expanded (say Applications | Accessories)
    >>>
    >>> 1) Expand the menu
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG). 2) Hit
    >>> PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step,
    >>> either)
    >>> 3) Open an image-editing app and hit Ctrl+V (again nothing happens
    >>> in Linux, but in Windows the image is pasted).
    >>> 4) The newbie spots 'Take Screenshot' and clicks it, expecting to
    >>> see a screencapture. Instead he gets a full-screen view with no
    >>> expanded menus.
    >>>
    >>> What does the adventurous newbie have to do at this point to get his
    >>> menus screenshot? How does he know where to look, or which apps to
    >>> install (if any)?
    >>>
    >>> Linux: it's a chore

    >> OK - I've just put myself in a newbie's position. And I've asked
    >> myself: "why in hell would I want to take a screenshot of a
    >> Gnome-based system with a menu expaned"? So far, I've not been able
    >> to come up with an answer.

    > They could be posting the image to a support forum to demonstrate the
    > problem graphically.

    Don't confuse raytard.

  8. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:54:49 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu expanded
    >>> (say Applications | Accessories)
    >>>
    >>> 1) Expand the menu
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG).
    >>> 2) Hit PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step,
    >>> either)
    >>> 3) Open an image-editing app and hit Ctrl+V (again nothing happens in Linux,
    >>> but in Windows the image is pasted).
    >>> 4) The newbie spots 'Take Screenshot' and clicks it, expecting to see a
    >>> screencapture. Instead he gets a full-screen view with no expanded menus.
    >>>
    >>> What does the adventurous newbie have to do at this point to get his menus
    >>> screenshot? How does he know where to look, or which apps to install (if
    >>> any)?
    >>>
    >>> Linux: it's a chore

    >> And then you have sometimes the cut and paste works from the mouse button
    >> menu, sometimes from the toolbar menu, sometimes from both, most times you
    >> have to use one or the other and not mix.

    > According to Rick thats what "choice" is. He now does not think that is
    > a fractured UI apparently.

    I watched a noob try and cut and paste photos from a USB key she had just
    plugged in, to a folder.

    It was painful.

    Under Windows?
    Explorer popped up and asked what do you want to do.

    Linux, PCLinuxOS the message box was cryptic and like I said cut and paste
    options were not even there for right click on the photo.

    Of course the geeks here will have 1/2 a dozen ways or more of doing this
    and yes they are valid however a noob doesn't know about them anymore than
    a person first seeing a Rubik's Cube knows how to solve one.
    When you know the trick, it's fairly easy though.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    ray writes:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu
    >> expanded (say Applications | Accessories)
    >>
    >> 1) Expand the menu
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG). 2) Hit
    >> PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step,
    >> either)
    >> 3) Open an image-editing app and hit Ctrl+V (again nothing happens in
    >> Linux, but in Windows the image is pasted).
    >> 4) The newbie spots 'Take Screenshot' and clicks it, expecting to see a
    >> screencapture. Instead he gets a full-screen view with no expanded
    >> menus.
    >>
    >> What does the adventurous newbie have to do at this point to get his
    >> menus screenshot? How does he know where to look, or which apps to
    >> install (if any)?
    >>
    >> Linux: it's a chore

    > OK - I've just put myself in a newbie's position. And I've asked myself:
    > "why in hell would I want to take a screenshot of a Gnome-based system
    > with a menu expaned"? So far, I've not been able to come up with an
    > answer.

    You are joking?

  10. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:54:49 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >>> And then you have sometimes the cut and paste works from the mouse button
    >>> menu, sometimes from the toolbar menu, sometimes from both, most times you
    >>> have to use one or the other and not mix.

    >> According to Rick thats what "choice" is. He now does not think that is
    >> a fractured UI apparently.

    > I watched a noob try and cut and paste photos from a USB key she had just
    > plugged in, to a folder.
    >
    > It was painful.
    >
    > Under Windows?
    > Explorer popped up and asked what do you want to do.
    >
    > Linux, PCLinuxOS the message box was cryptic and like I said cut and paste
    > options were not even there for right click on the photo.
    >
    > Of course the geeks here will have 1/2 a dozen ways or more of doing this
    > and yes they are valid however a noob doesn't know about them anymore than
    > a person first seeing a Rubik's Cube knows how to solve one.
    > When you know the trick, it's fairly easy though.

    Witness Raytard's recent embarrassing post where he simply could not
    imagine why anyone would ever want to take a screen shot with a drop
    down menu open .... the excuses are never ending in COLA la-la land.

    --
    Bwahahahahahahahah - Anyone else think that this announcement from the MS
    marketing machine was anything other than a last ditch attempt to try and

  11. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:37:35 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Ben wrote:
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> OK - I've just put myself in a newbie's position. And I've asked
    >>> myself: "why in hell would I want to take a screenshot of a
    >>> Gnome-based system with a menu expaned"? So far, I've not been able to
    >>> come up with an answer.

    >> They could be posting the image to a support forum to demonstrate the
    >> problem graphically.

    > Don't confuse raytard.

    You are the one too stupid to take a screen shot with a menu expanded.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:50:05 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu
    >> expanded (say Applications | Accessories)
    >>
    >> 1) Expand the menu
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG). 2) Hit
    >> PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step,
    >> either)
    >> 3) Open an image-editing app and hit Ctrl+V (again nothing happens in
    >> Linux, but in Windows the image is pasted).
    >> 4) The newbie spots 'Take Screenshot' and clicks it, expecting to see a
    >> screencapture. Instead he gets a full-screen view with no expanded
    >> menus.
    >>
    >> What does the adventurous newbie have to do at this point to get his
    >> menus screenshot? How does he know where to look, or which apps to
    >> install (if any)?
    >>
    >> Linux: it's a chore

    > And then you have sometimes the cut and paste works from the mouse
    > button menu, sometimes from the toolbar menu, sometimes from both, most
    > times you have to use one or the other and not mix.

    Bull****.

  13. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:50:01 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:54:49 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >>> And then you have sometimes the cut and paste works from the mouse
    >>> button menu, sometimes from the toolbar menu, sometimes from both,
    >>> most times you have to use one or the other and not mix.

    >> According to Rick thats what "choice" is. He now does not think that is
    >> a fractured UI apparently.

    > I watched a noob try and cut and paste photos from a USB key she had
    > just plugged in, to a folder.
    >
    > It was painful.
    >
    > Under Windows?
    > Explorer popped up and asked what do you want to do.

    this is exactly what happens in Linux. You people are liars, liars or
    you are just incredibly incompetent.

  14. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:23:13 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> According to Rick thats what "choice" is. He now does not think that is
    >>> a fractured UI apparently.

    >> I watched a noob try and cut and paste photos from a USB key she had just
    >> plugged in, to a folder.
    >>
    >> It was painful.
    >>
    >> Under Windows?
    >> Explorer popped up and asked what do you want to do.
    >>
    >> Linux, PCLinuxOS the message box was cryptic and like I said cut and paste
    >> options were not even there for right click on the photo.
    >>
    >> Of course the geeks here will have 1/2 a dozen ways or more of doing this
    >> and yes they are valid however a noob doesn't know about them anymore than
    >> a person first seeing a Rubik's Cube knows how to solve one.
    >> When you know the trick, it's fairly easy though.

    > Witness Raytard's recent embarrassing post where he simply could not
    > imagine why anyone would ever want to take a screen shot with a drop
    > down menu open .... the excuses are never ending in COLA la-la land.

    It's all in line with Kelsey asking why someone needs 3 gig in a cellphone
    for phone book entries.....

    These Linux boobs have no clue which is why they are losing this battle in
    the worst way.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    bob wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> According to Rick thats what "choice" is. He now does not think that
    >>> is a fractured UI apparently.

    >> I watched a noob try and cut and paste photos from a USB key she had
    >> just plugged in, to a folder.
    >> It was painful.
    >> Under Windows?
    >> Explorer popped up and asked what do you want to do.

    > this is exactly what happens in Linux. You people are liars, liars or
    > you are just incredibly incompetent.

    No, they are following the Microsoft Evangelism philosophy:

    'Use [...] the Internet, etc. to heighten the impression that the enemy is
    desperate, demoralized, defeated, [...] associated with mental deficiency,
    as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny". Just keep rubbing
    it in, via the [...] newsgroups, [...] make the complete failure of the
    competition's technology part of the mythology of the computer industry.'

    (reference PDF pages 45 & 55 on
    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf - Comes vs Microsoft lawsuit )

    Much of the astroturfing by these few individuals and their sock puppets
    are responsible for the dross we see in this newsgroup. Much of it is
    done in a most perverted manner to do everything humanly possible to
    silence Linux advocacy. The humiliating advocates by accusing them of
    homosexual conduct, nymshifting, nymstealing, usage of terms, "COLA nuts",
    "Linux loons", "me too'ing", "LIEnux liars", "you work Windows during day
    and post Linux at night", "Linux/FOSS slopware", cross posting to
    unrelated forums like "alt.kooks.net", bizarre sexual ones, and etc. are
    intended for only one purpose, do discourage anyone who enjoys posting
    about their Linux experiences and beliefs away from this forum.

    --
    HPT

  16. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    Hadron wrote:
    > ray writes:

    >> OK - I've just put myself in a newbie's position. And I've asked
    >> myself: "why in hell would I want to take a screenshot of a
    >> Gnome-based system with a menu expaned"? So far, I've not been able
    >> to come up with an answer.

    > You are joking?

    Give raytard a week to think about it, and it may come to him.

  17. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    DFS wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> ray writes:

    >>> OK - I've just put myself in a newbie's position. And I've asked
    >>> myself: "why in hell would I want to take a screenshot of a
    >>> Gnome-based system with a menu expaned"? So far, I've not been able
    >>> to come up with an answer.

    >> You are joking?

    > Give raytard a week to think about it, and it may come to him.

    Or just give him a link to a thread on a relevant forum to demonstrate
    what you mean exactly, instead of not specifying exactly why a newbie
    might be doing this?

    That might be a smart idea, but trust you to think of it.

  18. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    Ben writes:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> You are joking?

    >> Give raytard a week to think about it, and it may come to him.
    >>

    > Or just give him a link to a thread on a relevant forum to demonstrate
    > what you mean exactly, instead of not specifying exactly why a newbie
    > might be doing this?
    >
    > That might be a smart idea, but trust you to think of it.

    Why? It's so clear that if someone does not get it then a finger
    painting wont help either.

  19. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On Jul 20, 5:50*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    > > And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu expanded
    > > (say Applications | Accessories)

    > > 1) Expand the menu
    > >http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ccessories.PNG).
    > > 2) Hit PrtScn and nothing happens (nothing happens in Windows at this step,
    > > either)
    > > 3) Open an image-editing app and hit Ctrl+V (again nothing happens in Linux,
    > > but in Windows the image is pasted).
    > > 4) The newbie spots 'Take Screenshot' and clicks it, expecting to see a
    > > screencapture. *Instead he gets a full-screen view with no expanded menus.

    > > What does the adventurous newbie have to do at this point to get his menus
    > > screenshot? *How does he know where to look, or which apps to install(if
    > > any)?

    > > Linux: it's a chore

    > And then you have sometimes the cut and paste works from the mouse button
    > menu, sometimes from the toolbar menu, sometimes from both, most times you
    > have to use one or the other and not mix.
    >
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    I am just hoping it works, where ever I find it.

  20. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On 2008-07-20, DFS wrote:
    > And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu expanded
    > (say Applications | Accessories)

    ...yeah because we all know that the first thing that a total newb
    is going do to with a new OS is start taking screenshots...

    [deletia]

    ...not only that but they will immediately hit upon an obscure
    quirk while doing so.

    ....and some people think that Linux Zealots are out of touch with the
    common man...

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of mysql's |||
    popularity as does an attempt to do some simple date / | \

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast