Put yourself in a newbie's postion - Linux

This is a discussion on Put yourself in a newbie's postion - Linux ; On 2008-07-20, Ben wrote: > ray wrote: >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote: >> [deletia] >> >> OK - I've just put myself in a newbie's position. And I've asked myself: >> "why in hell would ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On 2008-07-20, Ben wrote:
    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:

    [deletia]

    >> OK - I've just put myself in a newbie's position. And I've asked myself:
    >> "why in hell would I want to take a screenshot of a Gnome-based system
    >> with a menu expaned"? So far, I've not been able to come up with an answer.

    > They could be posting the image to a support forum to demonstrate the
    > problem graphically.

    They could be reporting the problem as a bug to the appropriate developer
    or to one of the distribution support forums.

    We could harness all of this malice as a force for good rather than
    just mindless FUD.

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of mysql's |||
    popularity as does an attempt to do some simple date / | \

  2. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:26:32 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-07-20, Ben wrote:
    >> ray wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:54:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>>

    > [deletia]
    >>>
    >>> OK - I've just put myself in a newbie's position. And I've asked
    >>> myself: "why in hell would I want to take a screenshot of a
    >>> Gnome-based system with a menu expaned"? So far, I've not been able to
    >>> come up with an answer.

    >> They could be posting the image to a support forum to demonstrate the
    >> problem graphically.

    > They could be reporting the problem as a bug to the appropriate
    > developer or to one of the distribution support forums.

    Yeah. Much simpler, easier, faster, to make a screen dump and post the
    image than just describe the particular menu or how you got there. What in
    hell is a newbie going to know about reporting a bug, anyway?

    > We could harness all of this malice as a force for good rather than just
    > mindless FUD.

  3. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-07-20, DFS wrote:
    >> And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu expanded
    >> (say Applications | Accessories)

    > ...yeah because we all know that the first thing that a total newb
    > is going do to with a new OS is start taking screenshots...

    Who says anything about a nOOb? And even so, a nOOb is more likely to
    need help and provide screenies to the support.

    > [deletia]
    >
    > ...not only that but they will immediately hit upon an obscure
    > quirk while doing so.
    >
    > ...and some people think that Linux Zealots are out of touch with the
    > common man...

    This is typical idiot thinking. Can you tell me one reason why NOT to
    support taking snapshots of a dropped menu? I cant think of any
    reasonable reason not to support it. Id like to see you write a user
    interface manual without that ability.

    --
    "Maybe you can buy a Saturday Night Special and blow your POS brains out."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  4. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    ray writes:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:26:32 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >> [deletia]

    >>> They could be posting the image to a support forum to demonstrate the
    >>> problem graphically.

    >> They could be reporting the problem as a bug to the appropriate
    >> developer or to one of the distribution support forums.

    > Yeah. Much simpler, easier, faster, to make a screen dump and post the
    > image than just describe the particular menu or how you got
    > there. What in

    Rubbish. a nOOb to a system doesnt have to be a nOOb to systems in
    general. In this case it could be a lifelong Windows user trying Linux.

    > hell is a newbie going to know about reporting a bug, anyway?

    The same is anyone else? its not hard.

    --
    "Maybe you can buy a Saturday Night Special and blow your POS brains out."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  5. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On 2008-07-21, Hadron wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-07-20, DFS wrote:
    >>> And try to take a screenshot of your Gnome-based system with a menu expanded
    >>> (say Applications | Accessories)

    >> ...yeah because we all know that the first thing that a total newb
    >> is going do to with a new OS is start taking screenshots...

    > Who says anything about a nOOb? And even so, a nOOb is more likely to
    > need help and provide screenies to the support.
    >>
    >> [deletia]
    >>
    >> ...not only that but they will immediately hit upon an obscure
    >> quirk while doing so.
    >>
    >> ...and some people think that Linux Zealots are out of touch with the
    >> common man...

    > This is typical idiot thinking. Can you tell me one reason why NOT to
    > support taking snapshots of a dropped menu? I cant think of any

    ...the only people that ever think to use it are TROLLS?

    Perhaps...

    OTOH, you could always file a bug report with the appropriate entity
    rather than making the situation out to be something it obviously is not.

    > reasonable reason not to support it. Id like to see you write a user
    > interface manual without that ability.

    What happened to the "poor n00bs" you trolls started off complaining about?

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of mysql's |||
    popularity as does an attempt to do some simple date / | \
    manipulations in postgres.

  6. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-07-21, Hadron wrote:
    >> JEDIDIAH writes:

    >>> ...yeah because we all know that the first thing that a total newb
    >>> is going do to with a new OS is start taking screenshots...

    >> Who says anything about a nOOb? And even so, a nOOb is more likely to
    >> need help and provide screenies to the support.
    >>>
    >>> [deletia]
    >>>
    >>> ...not only that but they will immediately hit upon an obscure
    >>> quirk while doing so.
    >>>
    >>> ...and some people think that Linux Zealots are out of touch with the
    >>> common man...

    >> This is typical idiot thinking. Can you tell me one reason why NOT to
    >> support taking snapshots of a dropped menu? I cant think of any

    > ...the only people that ever think to use it are TROLLS?
    >
    > Perhaps...
    >
    > OTOH, you could always file a bug report with the appropriate entity
    > rather than making the situation out to be something it obviously is not.
    >
    >> reasonable reason not to support it. Id like to see you write a user
    >> interface manual without that ability.
    >>

    > What happened to the "poor n00bs" you trolls started off
    > complaining about?

    Try reading my reply and the thread.

    --
    BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!

  7. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:03:30 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ray writes:

    >>> [deletia]

    >>> They could be reporting the problem as a bug to the appropriate
    >>> developer or to one of the distribution support forums.

    >> Yeah. Much simpler, easier, faster, to make a screen dump and post the
    >> image than just describe the particular menu or how you got there. What
    >> in

    > Rubbish. a nOOb to a system doesnt have to be a nOOb to systems in
    > general. In this case it could be a lifelong Windows user trying Linux.
    >
    >> hell is a newbie going to know about reporting a bug, anyway?

    > The same is anyone else? its not hard.

    It may not be hard, but a newbie first has to learn bug reports exist.
    Then learn that "regular people" can submit them. Then learn how to
    submit the report to the appropriate place, in the appropriate way.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Put yourself in a newbie's postion

    On 2008-07-21, Rick wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:03:30 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> ray writes:

    >>> Yeah. Much simpler, easier, faster, to make a screen dump and post the
    >>> image than just describe the particular menu or how you got there. What
    >>> in

    >> Rubbish. a nOOb to a system doesnt have to be a nOOb to systems in
    >> general. In this case it could be a lifelong Windows user trying Linux.
    >>
    >>> hell is a newbie going to know about reporting a bug, anyway?

    >> The same is anyone else? its not hard.

    > It may not be hard, but a newbie first has to learn bug reports exist.
    > Then learn that "regular people" can submit them. Then learn how to
    > submit the report to the appropriate place, in the appropriate way.

    If you are really sincere then you could bring this up at Ubuntu
    Forums rather than just trolling it for the occasional bit of trouble.

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2