Automatically shut down computer after inactive time - Linux

This is a discussion on Automatically shut down computer after inactive time - Linux ; Hallo Group, I'd prefer having my computer automatically beeing shut down after some inactive time(time without user input) On the internet I just found commecial softwre for windows. Isn't there a dedicated tool for this in linux ? rds...

  1. Automatically shut down computer after inactive time

    Hallo Group,

    I'd prefer having my computer automatically beeing shut down after some
    inactive time(time without user input)

    On the internet I just found commecial softwre for windows.
    Isn't there a dedicated tool for this in linux ?

    rds

  2. Re: Automatically shut down computer after inactive time

    On 20 Jul 2008 09:19:35 GMT Guenther Sohler wrote:

    | I'd prefer having my computer automatically beeing shut down after some
    | inactive time(time without user input)
    |
    | On the internet I just found commecial softwre for windows.
    | Isn't there a dedicated tool for this in linux ?

    There probably is such software. Maybe one of the system administration
    groups would know the name/URL of such software.

  3. Re: Automatically shut down computer after inactive time

    On 07/20/2008 05:19 AM, Guenther Sohler wrote:
    > Hallo Group,
    >
    > I'd prefer having my computer automatically beeing shut down after some
    > inactive time(time without user input)
    >
    > On the internet I just found commecial softwre for windows.
    > Isn't there a dedicated tool for this in linux ?

    If this is a workstation, have your screensaver program call shutdown.

  4. Re: Automatically shut down computer after inactive time

    Hi,

    >> I'd prefer having my computer automatically beeing shut down after
    >> some inactive time(time without user input)

    > If this is a workstation, have your screensaver program call shutdown.

    In fact check your screensaver and your power settings, I remember some
    switch to let your computer go into "power saving mode" after some
    inactive time (in addition to the screensaver).

    You should even be able to edit the command invoked in this case,
    usually something like "shutdown -z now". Just exchange the "-z" (sleep)
    for a "-h" (halt = computer shutdown). Then set the inactive timers to 1
    minute to test the whole thing and forget to reset them to half an hour
    or so ;-)

    I consider it rather useful to have the screen saver pop up before your
    computer goes down, sometimes you might not want a complete shutdown
    because you're running some background job ;-)

    Have fun!

  5. Re: Automatically shut down computer after inactive time

    Keep Linux free
    Spam and smoke free as well

    Bernhard Agthe wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > >> I'd prefer having my computer automatically beeing shut down after
    > >> some inactive time(time without user input)

    > > If this is a workstation, have your screensaver program call shutdown.

    > In fact check your screensaver and your power settings, I remember some
    > switch to let your computer go into "power saving mode" after some
    > inactive time (in addition to the screensaver).
    >
    > You should even be able to edit the command invoked in this case,
    > usually something like "shutdown -z now". Just exchange the "-z" (sleep)
    > for a "-h" (halt = computer shutdown). Then set the inactive timers to 1
    > minute to test the whole thing and forget to reset them to half an hour
    > or so ;-)
    >
    > I consider it rather useful to have the screen saver pop up before your
    > computer goes down, sometimes you might not want a complete shutdown
    > because you're running some background job ;-)
    >
    > Have fun!

+ Reply to Thread