[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Big Failures That BillyPress Tends to Forget/Neglect - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Big Failures That BillyPress Tends to Forget/Neglect

    10 Great Microsoft Technologies That Failed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | WebTV (1997)
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Tablet PCs (2002)
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | WinFS (1990s)
    `----

    Recent:

    SPOT watches, R.I.P.: 2004 - 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After a long, painful, nearly anonymous ride on the wrists of a select few
    | uber-geeks, Microsoft's finally throwing in the towel on one of its
    | longstanding pet projects: the SPOT watch. Those who've followed the
    | technology recently (you know who you are) already know that the writing's
    | been on the wall for some time; the applications and content available to the
    | watches haven't been updated in ages, and indeed, the entire line of Abacus
    | Smart Watch 2006 models -- the only type being recently offered -- has been
    | discontinued and out of stock for a few months.
    `----

    http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/23/s...-i-p-2004-2008

    GameStop to Stop Zune Sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Video-game retailer GameStopGME has decided to stop selling Microsoft's Zune
    | players at its stores due to what it sees as insufficient demand from
    | customers.
    `----

    http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/news.../10418052.html

    The Xbox 360 is dead

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to a report, if some Australian retailers had their way, the Xbox
    | 360 would be dumped from their shelves.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17494/1093/

    Windows Live Expo set to expire next month

    ,----[ Quote~ ]
    | Chalk one point up to Craigslist: Microsoft has decided to shut down Windows
    | Live Expo, the classifieds service that it originally launched in February
    | 2006.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-99...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Microsoft Burns Down Book Search

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Citing poor demand, Microsoft will back away from scanning and indexing books
    | and academic works for Live Search
    `----

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...wn-book-search

    EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
    | Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
    | apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
    | Zune music player.
    `----

    Microsoft Closing Live Search Books and Academic Projects

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What do you think about Microsoft's move to end their Live Search Books and
    | Academic Projects?
    `----

    http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/080523-114536

    Related:

    Microsoft confirms OneCare zaps Outlook, Outlook Express e-mail

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Corp. has acknowledged that a bug in its Windows Live
    | OneCare security suite has been causing users' e-mail to vanish
    | from Outlook and Outlook Express.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9012499

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Big Failures That BillyPress Tendsto Forget/Neglect

    > 10 Great Microsoft Technologies That Failed
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | WebTV (1997)
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Tablet PCs (2002)
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | WinFS (1990s)
    > `----

    Here's another "lucky" 13:

    WinME, WinCE, Vista, Zune, Xbox360, Live Search, Surface, IPTV, Home
    Server, OneCare, Internet Explorer, Office 2007 and OOXML.

    Frame them and stick them on the wall, next to pictures of the Titanic
    and the Hindenburg.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    13:19:37 up 214 days, 9:55, 3 users, load average: 0.27, 0.27, 0.31

+ Reply to Thread