Re: Why Vista has failed so far - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Why Vista has failed so far - Linux ; To directly answer the title of this thread; It's quite simple. Vista doesn't offer enough new features that can't be found in previous versions of Windows using free software, Vista is bloated and consumes more resources than necessary, is expensive, ...

  1. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    To directly answer the title of this thread;

    It's quite simple. Vista doesn't offer enough new features that can't be
    found in previous versions of Windows using free software, Vista is
    bloated and consumes more resources than necessary, is expensive, and
    has experienced a lot of problems in just becoming stable.

  2. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 00:42:11 +0100, Ben wrote:

    > To directly answer the title of this thread;
    >
    > It's quite simple. Vista doesn't offer enough new features that can't be
    > found in previous versions of Windows using free software, Vista is
    > bloated and consumes more resources than necessary, is expensive, and
    > has experienced a lot of problems in just becoming stable.

    Believe it or not, with the exception of the stable comment, I pretty much
    agree with your statements. At least from the consumer's point of view.
    Vista, at least from my experience and reports, is rock solid.

    The problem with Vista is that most of the improvements are under the hood.

    The average consumer doesn't see that much like the average consumer
    doesn't see the difference between an SK tool and a Dollar Heaven special.

    The other problem is that the applications and hardware drivers have not
    caught up with Vista quite yet. This is highly dependent upon application
    though with the video and audio guys scratching their head but the average
    user not having too many problems.
    But if you happen to be one of those with problems, Vista is going to suck
    for you. That's just the way it is.

    What it boils down to is why would a consumer switch to an OS that for all
    practical purposes, from their perspective, doesn't do anything different
    than what they have and depending upon their hardware might even perform
    worse?

    They don't.

    However, the same can be said of Linux but it's even worse because now the
    application factor is at 100 percent because the user is being forced to
    use new applications as well as a new OS and one that is completely
    different from their current one.

    In the case of Linux, being free just isn't enough.

    My personal belief is that one of the big boys, IBM or HP, has got to take
    on Microsoft directly and wage a full scale battle by introducing a
    commercial version of Linux that is FULLY supported and SERIOUSLY marketed.

    Not some blip hidden on a website that is spattered with "We recommend
    Vista" etc.

    The distro of the day, fragmented support and 1000 different ways of
    accomplishing things is a poor method for getting Linux into the hands of
    the average person.

    Linux needs credibility, and yes we all know NASA uses Linux, super
    computers use Linux etc and while that's great in OUR eyes, we are geeks
    and average Jane is not.
    Jane's answer is "I have a desktop not a rocket".

    Jane needs the comfort of an IBM or HP or maybe even Lenovo to back Linux
    FULLY, SERIOUSLY and without pandering to Microsoft to the point where
    it's obvious some are afraid of stepping on Microsoft's booties (shoes, for
    Martii and HPT who's minds are in the gutter)....

    Can it happen?
    I suspect IBM is working on it right now.
    Will it ever see the light of day and stand a chance?
    I honestly don't know because the public is just too fickle.

    Just my 2 cents...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
> [...]

    > The distro of the day, fragmented support and 1000 different ways of
    > accomplishing things is a poor method for getting Linux into the hands of
    > the average person.
    >
    > Linux needs credibility, and yes we all know NASA uses Linux, super
    > computers use Linux etc and while that's great in OUR eyes, we are geeks
    > and average Jane is not.
    > Jane's answer is "I have a desktop not a rocket".
    >
    > Jane needs the comfort of an IBM or HP or maybe even Lenovo to back Linux
    > FULLY, SERIOUSLY and without pandering to Microsoft to the point where
    > it's obvious some are afraid of stepping on Microsoft's booties (shoes, for
    > Martii and HPT who's minds are in the gutter)....
    >
    > Can it happen?
    > I suspect IBM is working on it right now.
    > Will it ever see the light of day and stand a chance?
    > I honestly don't know because the public is just too fickle.

    *blinks and rubs eyes, wondering if that's really Moshe*

    Somebody pinch me?

  4. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    * Ben peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> Believe it or not, with the exception of the stable comment, I pretty much
    >> agree with your statements. At least from the consumer's point of view.
    >> Vista, at least from my experience and reports, is rock solid.

    If it works in the first place.

    >> The problem with Vista is that most of the improvements are under the hood.
    >>
    >> The other problem is that the applications and hardware drivers have not
    >> caught up with Vista quite yet.

    See my comment above.

    >> This is highly dependent upon application
    >> though with the video and audio guys scratching their head but the average
    >> user not having too many problems.
    >> But if you happen to be one of those with problems, Vista is going to suck
    >> for you. That's just the way it is.

    See my comment above.

    >> What it boils down to is why would a consumer switch to an OS that for all
    >> practical purposes, from their perspective, doesn't do anything different
    >> than what they have and depending upon their hardware might even perform
    >> worse?
    >>
    >> However, the same can be said of Linux but it's even worse because now the
    >> application factor is at 100 percent because the user is being forced to
    >> use new applications as well as a new OS and one that is completely
    >> different from their current one.

    Unfortunately, most users simply copy Microsoft software, rather than
    try the good free/Free stuff that is out there.

    >> In the case of Linux, being free just isn't enough.

    Indeed.

    >> Just my 2 cents...
    >>

    > *blinks and rubs eyes, wondering if that's really Moshe*
    >
    > Somebody pinch me?

    Nah. He throws in some rational thought now and then to keep you off
    balance. He'll be raving and slurring in no time.

    --
    All of us should treasure his Oriental wisdom and his preaching of a
    Zen-like detachment, as exemplified by his constant reminder to clerks,

  5. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Ben peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Believe it or not, with the exception of the stable comment, I pretty much
    >>> agree with your statements. At least from the consumer's point of view.
    >>> Vista, at least from my experience and reports, is rock solid.

    > If it works in the first place.
    >
    >>> The problem with Vista is that most of the improvements are under the hood.
    >>>
    >>> The other problem is that the applications and hardware drivers have not
    >>> caught up with Vista quite yet.

    > See my comment above.
    >
    >>> This is highly dependent upon application
    >>> though with the video and audio guys scratching their head but the average
    >>> user not having too many problems.
    >>> But if you happen to be one of those with problems, Vista is going to suck
    >>> for you. That's just the way it is.

    > See my comment above.
    >
    >>> What it boils down to is why would a consumer switch to an OS that for all
    >>> practical purposes, from their perspective, doesn't do anything different
    >>> than what they have and depending upon their hardware might even perform
    >>> worse?
    >>>
    >>> However, the same can be said of Linux but it's even worse because now the
    >>> application factor is at 100 percent because the user is being forced to
    >>> use new applications as well as a new OS and one that is completely
    >>> different from their current one.

    > Unfortunately, most users simply copy Microsoft software, rather than
    > try the good free/Free stuff that is out there.
    >
    >>> In the case of Linux, being free just isn't enough.

    > Indeed.
    >

    >>> Just my 2 cents...
    >>>

    >> *blinks and rubs eyes, wondering if that's really Moshe*
    >>
    >> Somebody pinch me?

    > Nah. He throws in some rational thought now and then to keep you off
    > balance. He'll be raving and slurring in no time.

    Is it intentional, or rather just moments of lucidity between extended
    periods of delusion?

    Or did he remember to take his medication this morning?

  6. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    Linonut wrote:

    > Nah. He throws in some rational thought now and then to keep you off
    > balance. He'll be raving and slurring in no time.

    Who, like you, you cross posting chump?

  7. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    Ben wrote:

    > *blinks and rubs eyes, wondering if that's really Moshe*
    >
    > Somebody pinch me?

    He's just switched into "good flatfish" mode for the time being...
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Behind every great computer lies... a mess of wires!

    Good to the last supper

  8. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    Ben wrote:

    > Or did he remember to take his medication this morning?

    Who are you, "BEN-HUR" riding you chariot up and down the threads?

  9. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    Linonut > wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >

    >> Nah. He throws in some rational thought now and then to keep you off
    >> balance. He'll be raving and slurring in no time.

    > Who, like you, you cross posting chump?

    Moshe can't really talk when it comes to cross-posting...

  10. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    Ben wrote:
    > Linonut > wrote:
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>

    >>> Nah. He throws in some rational thought now and then to keep you off
    >>> balance. He'll be raving and slurring in no time.

    >> Who, like you, you cross posting chump?
    >>

    > Moshe can't really talk when it comes to cross-posting...

    Easy there big Ben, *Linonut* knows of my disapproval, he knows he
    doesn't have to follow suite, and he can just say no to the cross post.

  11. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:33:27 +0100, Ben wrote:

    > Linonut > wrote:
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>

    >>> Nah. He throws in some rational thought now and then to keep you off
    >>> balance. He'll be raving and slurring in no time.

    >> Who, like you, you cross posting chump?
    >>

    > Moshe can't really talk when it comes to cross-posting...

    I didn't.
    Someone else wrote that.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    * Linonut peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ben wrote:
    >> Linonut > wrote:

    >>> Who, like you, you cross posting chump?

    >> Moshe can't really talk when it comes to cross-posting...

    > Easy there big Ben, *Linonut* knows of my disapproval, he knows he
    > doesn't have to follow suite, and he can just say no to the cross post.

    This fake "Linonut" is a real whiner.

    And he can't even figure out how to install and use "fortune", to better
    mimic my posts.

    --
    The problem with engineers is that they tend to cheat in order to
    get results.

  13. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    Linonut writes:

    > * Linonut peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Ben wrote:

    >>> Moshe can't really talk when it comes to cross-posting...

    >> Easy there big Ben, *Linonut* knows of my disapproval, he knows he
    >> doesn't have to follow suite, and he can just say no to the cross post.

    > This fake "Linonut" is a real whiner.
    >
    > And he can't even figure out how to install and use "fortune", to better
    > mimic my posts.

    Mimic your posts? LOL.

    It's simple enough:

    "Yes Roy, I agree "

  14. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Linonut peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Ben wrote:
    >>> Moshe can't really talk when it comes to cross-posting...

    >> Easy there big Ben, *Linonut* knows of my disapproval, he knows he
    >> doesn't have to follow suite, and he can just say no to the cross post.

    > This fake "Linonut" is a real whiner.
    >
    > And he can't even figure out how to install and use "fortune", to better
    > mimic my posts.

    I am not here you jackass to mimic your ****ing post you piece of ****,
    only to **** with you, you stupid cunt. You have responded. Don't you
    know anything about the game stupid?

    And your mama whined when I dicked her. Shw whined for some more of my
    dick.

  15. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:04:31 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * Linonut peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Easy there big Ben, *Linonut* knows of my disapproval, he knows he
    >>> doesn't have to follow suite, and he can just say no to the cross post.

    >> This fake "Linonut" is a real whiner.
    >>
    >> And he can't even figure out how to install and use "fortune", to better
    >> mimic my posts.

    > Mimic your posts? LOL.
    >
    > It's simple enough:
    >
    > "Yes Roy, I agree "

    Me too "Roy"....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    Linonut > wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Linonut peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Easy there big Ben, *Linonut* knows of my disapproval, he knows he
    >>> doesn't have to follow suite, and he can just say no to the cross post.

    >> This fake "Linonut" is a real whiner.
    >>
    >> And he can't even figure out how to install and use "fortune", to better
    >> mimic my posts.
    >>

    > I am not here you jackass to mimic your ****ing post you piece of ****,
    > only to **** with you, you stupid cunt. You have responded. Don't you
    > know anything about the game stupid?
    >
    > And your mama whined when I dicked her. Shw whined for some more of my
    > dick.

    It's funny, we can see it's not Linout from the little > at the end of
    your name.

  17. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    * Ben peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut > wrote:
    >> Linonut wrote:

    >> And your mama whined when I dicked her. Shw whined for some more of my
    >> dick.

    Another guy who boasts about "doing" my 80-year-old mother.

    > It's funny, we can see it's not Linout from the little > at the end of
    > your name.

    If you think of it, snip the personal insults from its com-posts when
    you reply. Thanks.

    --
    College:
    The fountains of knowledge, where everyone goes to drink.

  18. Re: Why Vista has failed so far

    Linonut writes:

    > * Ben peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linonut > wrote:
    >>> Linonut wrote:

    >>> And your mama whined when I dicked her. Shw whined for some more of my
    >>> dick.

    > Another guy who boasts about "doing" my 80-year-old mother.
    >
    >> It's funny, we can see it's not Linout from the little > at the end of
    >> your name.

    > If you think of it, snip the personal insults from its com-posts when
    > you reply. Thanks.

    Like you just did Liarnut?

    --
    "**** you, you lying bitch. "
    -- Rick in alt.true-crime, comp.os.linux.advocacy

+ Reply to Thread