Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron - Linux ; Hello Friends and enemies, Last Tuesday I bought a Acer Aspire 7220 Laptop, which gave me the opportunity to fiddle around with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic. Here are the specs of the machine: CPU: AMD Semphron 2 Ghz; RAM: ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

  1. Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Hello Friends and enemies,

    Last Tuesday I bought a Acer Aspire 7220 Laptop, which gave me the
    opportunity to fiddle around with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic.

    Here are the specs of the machine:

    CPU: AMD Semphron 2 Ghz;
    RAM: 2 GiB DDR2;
    GPU: Nvidia Geoforce 7000M;
    HDD: 80 GiB SATA (damn, too small);
    TFT: 17" wide screen.

    Anyway, when I booted the machine for the first time, it installed
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic, from HDD. No CD/DVD was provided.

    I guess this is yet another attempt of Microsoft to keep their monopoly.
    Since this way, you are _not_ able to send your Windows CD/DVD back to
    Microsoft and demand a refund for an Operating System, which doesn't
    meet your needs.

    However, after Vista Home Basic was installed, I popped in the Ubuntu
    Hardy Heron CD, which I received - at no cost - from the Ubuntu ShipIT
    Service and rebooted my Acer Aspire 7220 in Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

    Since DFS floods COLA with issues from Ubuntu Forums, I expected quite
    some problems.

    My conclusion is: DFS a liar. He simply digs these "problems" up,
    because he hasn't the slightest clue.

    Ubuntu GNU/Linux simply works on my Acer Aspire 7220. Such in contrast
    to Microsot Windows Vista Home Basic.

    After I installed some additional software: Mozilla Firefox, and made it
    the default browser, Mozilla Thuderbird, and made it the default Email
    and news client, plus removed the "Trial" crapware (Office 2007 and
    McAffee), Windows Vista, "simply" started re-installing itself again.

    It simply formatted drive C: from scratch and reinstalled all the crapware.

    I don't have the slightest clue what Microsoft is up to, with their
    crappy Vista. All I know, is that modern GNU/Linux distributions beat
    Microsoft Windows (in its current state) by Far.

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://ubuntusteunpuntdaalhof.googlepages.com

  2. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    * ml2mst peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Hello Friends and enemies,
    >
    > Last Tuesday I bought a Acer Aspire 7220 Laptop, which gave me the
    > opportunity to fiddle around with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic.

    Bzzzzt. Try Premium instead .

    > Anyway, when I booted the machine for the first time, it installed
    > Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic, from HDD. No CD/DVD was provided.
    >
    > I guess this is yet another attempt of Microsoft to keep their monopoly.
    > Since this way, you are _not_ able to send your Windows CD/DVD back to
    > Microsoft and demand a refund for an Operating System, which doesn't
    > meet your needs.

    Of course. Their a legend in their own minds. (And too few consumers
    know otherwise.)

    > Since DFS floods COLA with issues from Ubuntu Forums, I expected quite
    > some problems.
    >
    > My conclusion is: DFS a liar. He simply digs these "problems" up,
    > because he hasn't the slightest clue.

    Ya think?

    > After I installed some additional software: Mozilla Firefox, and made it
    > the default browser, Mozilla Thuderbird, and made it the default Email
    > and news client, plus removed the "Trial" crapware (Office 2007 and
    > McAffee), Windows Vista, "simply" started re-installing itself again.
    >
    > It simply formatted drive C: from scratch and reinstalled all the crapware.

    That makes no sense at all. Unless the presence of another "Unknown"
    partition triggered this crap (which is just as "evil", of course.)

    > I don't have the slightest clue what Microsoft is up to, with their
    > crappy Vista. All I know, is that modern GNU/Linux distributions beat
    > Microsoft Windows (in its current state) by Far.

    Just you wait for Windows 7.

    NT. 2000. XP. Vista. And now 7.

    Seems Microsoft's marketing department is thrashing around for a good
    corporate naming convention.

    --
    Rev. Jim: What does an amber light mean?
    Bobby: Slow down.

  3. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Linonut wrote:
    > * ml2mst peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> I guess this is yet another attempt of Microsoft to keep
    >> their monopoly. Since this way, you are _not_ able to send
    >> your Windows CD/DVD back to Microsoft and demand a refund
    >> for an Operating System, which doesn't meet your needs.

    > Of course. Their a legend in their own minds. (And too few
    > consumers know otherwise.)

    It's another form of the Microsoft tax.

    >> Since DFS floods COLA with issues from Ubuntu Forums, I
    >> expected quite some problems.
    >>
    >> My conclusion is: DFS a liar. He simply digs these
    >> "problems" up, because he hasn't the slightest clue.

    > Ya think?

    No, he does it deliberately. Reference Comes vs Microsoft court
    document:

    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

    PDF page 45:
    During the mopping-up phase, ensure that the
    enemy technology is routed. Use the press, the Internet, etc. to
    heighten the impression that the enemy is desperate, demoralized,
    defeated, deceased.
    PDF page 55:
    In the Mopping Up phase, Evangelism's goal
    is to put the final nail into the competing technology's coffin,
    and bury it in the burning depths of the earth.

    Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with
    mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter
    Bunny, and OS/2." Just keep rubbing it in, via the press,
    analysts, newsgroups, whatever.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of
    the mythology of the computer industry.

    >> After I installed some additional software: Mozilla Firefox,
    >> and made it the default browser, Mozilla Thuderbird, and
    >> made it the default Email and news client, plus removed the
    >> "Trial" crapware (Office 2007 and McAffee), Windows Vista,
    >> "simply" started re-installing itself again.
    >>
    >> It simply formatted drive C: from scratch and reinstalled
    >> all the crapware.

    > That makes no sense at all. Unless the presence of another
    > "Unknown" partition triggered this crap (which is just as
    > "evil", of course.)

    Had to be. It is stored somewhere. That seems to negate dual
    booting. About the only way to rid the system totally is total
    repartition and reformat the entire drive (an easy do in Linux)
    to remove traces.

    Is there a way for Marti to write a formal complaint to the
    European Commission?

    >> I don't have the slightest clue what Microsoft is up to,
    >> with their crappy Vista. All I know, is that modern
    >> GNU/Linux distributions beat Microsoft Windows (in its
    >> current state) by Far.

    > Just you wait for Windows 7.
    >
    > NT. 2000. XP. Vista. And now 7.
    >
    > Seems Microsoft's marketing department is thrashing around for
    > a good corporate naming convention.

    You mean Micoshaft Pista? :-)

    --
    HPT

  4. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On 2008-07-19, ml2mst claimed:
    > Hello Friends and enemies,
    >
    > Last Tuesday I bought a Acer Aspire 7220 Laptop, which gave me the
    > opportunity to fiddle around with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic.

    I bought a refub Acer, too. It hame Home "Premium" on it.

    > Here are the specs of the machine:
    >
    > CPU: AMD Semphron 2 Ghz;
    > RAM: 2 GiB DDR2;
    > GPU: Nvidia Geoforce 7000M;
    > HDD: 80 GiB SATA (damn, too small);
    > TFT: 17" wide screen.
    >
    > Anyway, when I booted the machine for the first time, it installed
    > Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic, from HDD. No CD/DVD was provided.

    I don't know what mine did. It took 3.5 hours to do it, though. All I
    wanted was a backup in case I had to send the beast back. I could have
    written every bit on the drive down by hand in the time it took to get
    that backup done. Not so much the backup. That was under a half hour.
    The 3.5 hours (the total was almost 4 hours) was spent watching Fisted
    chug'n'churn and scrape'n'whine and drag'n'drag, doing whatever the
    hell it needs to do for a preinstalled OS.

    > I guess this is yet another attempt of Microsoft to keep their monopoly.
    > Since this way, you are _not_ able to send your Windows CD/DVD back to
    > Microsoft and demand a refund for an Operating System, which doesn't
    > meet your needs.
    >
    > However, after Vista Home Basic was installed, I popped in the Ubuntu
    > Hardy Heron CD, which I received - at no cost - from the Ubuntu ShipIT
    > Service and rebooted my Acer Aspire 7220 in Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

    Once my backup was done, I booted up something similar. Might have been
    Debian Lenny. I forget what it was now. I don't think it was a live CD,
    though. I already knew I was going to sanitize the drive before I
    started.

    > Since DFS floods COLA with issues from Ubuntu Forums, I expected quite
    > some problems.
    >
    > My conclusion is: DFS a liar. He simply digs these "problems" up,
    > because he hasn't the slightest clue.

    That was my conclusion, too. In fact, I tried not to prejudge his level
    of liarness (I like inventing words, even stupid ones), but I still was
    fairly sure that was the case.

    Once booted there was no doubt any more.

    > Ubuntu GNU/Linux simply works on my Acer Aspire 7220. Such in contrast
    > to Microsot Windows Vista Home Basic.
    >
    > After I installed some additional software: Mozilla Firefox, and made it
    > the default browser, Mozilla Thuderbird, and made it the default Email
    > and news client, plus removed the "Trial" crapware (Office 2007 and
    > McAffee), Windows Vista, "simply" started re-installing itself again.
    >
    > It simply formatted drive C: from scratch and reinstalled all the crapware.
    >
    > I don't have the slightest clue what Microsoft is up to, with their
    > crappy Vista. All I know, is that modern GNU/Linux distributions beat
    > Microsoft Windows (in its current state) by Far.

    I never bothered with that part. Once I got my backup, I slicked the
    drive. Now I'm looking for a suitable toilet for the Vista sticker. I'd
    like to find some glue strong enough to hold it to the bottom of the
    inside of the bowl for a few years.

    --
    I started to make a list of all of the great Microsoft
    innovations. Then I remembered CTRL-ALT-DEL is handled by

  5. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    ml2mst wrote:

    > Since DFS floods COLA with issues from Ubuntu Forums, I expected quite
    > some problems.
    >
    > My conclusion is: DFS a liar. He simply digs these "problems" up,
    > because he hasn't the slightest clue.

    He hasn't a clue because he doesn't use Ubuntu himself. He simply cuts and
    pastes stuff.

  6. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:26:43 +0200, ml2mst wrote:

    > Hello Friends and enemies,
    >
    > Last Tuesday I bought a Acer Aspire 7220 Laptop, which gave me the
    > opportunity to fiddle around with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic.
    >
    > Here are the specs of the machine:

    Kelsey is that you?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:03:54 +2400, God wrote:

    > Sinister Midget wrote in message
    >
    >> In fact, I tried not to prejudge his level of liarness (I like
    >> inventing words, even stupid ones)

    Why not just use the correct one- mendacity?

    > Hm. Midget must refer to your mentality.
    >
    > Web Results 1 - 100 of about 260 for liarness. (0.60 seconds)
    >
    > Groups Results 1 - 11 of 11 for liarness.
    >
    > HTH

    Sorry for piggy-backing on your post, God. I can't see the original post.
    Filters, y'see.

    --
    As I watched the video of Saddam Hussein's execution a thought
    suddenly struck me: Is there NOTHING on the internet I won't

  8. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    * Rex Ballard peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > And we'll all go to heaven, when the next release comes out.
    > Time for yet another verse to the song.
    >
    > http://open4success.org/song2.html
    >
    >> NT. 2000. XP. Vista. And now 7.

    > The problem for Microsoft is that the OEMs and the Corporates have
    > already heard this song before.
    >
    > MS-DOS 4.0 will have Multitasking - promise - (Microsoft finally
    > released a practical preemptive multitasking system with Windows 2000.
    >
    > Windows 3.1 won't crash - really - After a 2 year wait, it crashed/
    > hung every 2 hours instead of every 10-20 minutes.
    >
    > Windows NT will be a "Better Unix than Unix" - after a three year
    > wait, it wasn't even a better Windows than Windows.
    >
    > Chicago will be out in a year, and you'll love it (2 years later
    > Windows 95 was released in the last days of Microsoft's fiscal 1995
    > quarter, it wasn't stable until Windows 95B was released in mid-1996.
    >
    > NT 5 will be out real soon now, and you won't see those blue screens
    > of death anymore (3 years later, Windows 2000 was released to replace
    > NT 4.0).
    >
    > Windows 98 will be secure - nuff said there.
    >
    > Windows XP will be so secure the hacker won't be able to break it - 1
    > year after Win2K, XP was slower, needed more memory, broke most third
    > party software, accused you of being a pirate when you upgraded your
    > memory or added peripherals, and survived mainly because it was "force
    > fed" to corporate customers who were told to "upgrade or die".
    >
    > When XP bombed - Microsoft announced Longhorn - another "Better than
    > Linux" promise.
    > Longhorn was castrated to become a steer, was renamed Vista, the fancy
    > features were just a mirage, and the OEMs and Retailers considered it
    > a Nightmere. Most corporates didn't even want to touch it.
    >
    > So now, Longhorn/Steer/Vista/Nightmere hasn't even been out 18 months
    > and Microsoft is already driving the nails in it's coffin, but the
    > next release isn't due for at least another two years.
    >
    > You would think that Microsoft would at least try to appease the OEMs
    > by holding back on the preannouncements long enough for them to make a
    > few bucks on the old piece of junk.
    >
    > Microsoft's biggest blunder with Vista was to invest so heavily in
    > what amounted to "Game Machine" technology. IBM doesn't want to buy
    > 1/2 million computers for it's employees and consultants to play video
    > games. They want their consultants to be productive at work.

    Good stuff above.

    Sarcastic nonsense below.

    > Linux has the killer apps, but most of them will also run under cygwin/
    > Windows as well.
    >
    > Microsoft provides a "desktop", Linux provides a "Dash-board".
    > Microsoft lets you compose pretty documents that will be forgotten in
    > a week and lost in a month, Linux lets you compose, publish, archive,
    > index, and retrieve documents that will be reference materials for the
    > next 5-10 years.
    >
    > Microsoft will let you paste entries into a spreadsheet so you can get
    > your monthly report done on time, Linux automates transformation so
    > you can see your cash-flow in real-time.
    >
    > Microsoft Project will give you a schedule where people can work 80
    > hour days, Linux gives you work-flows that allow each task to be
    > queued to the people who can handle the work, and can measure how many
    > such tasks they are taking and completing.
    >
    > Microsoft will let you play videos you can download from the
    > Internet. Linux is used to create the movies you see in Movie
    > Theaters.
    >
    > Microsoft will let you browse the web, and pull in all the viruses you
    > can handle. Linux will let you browse the web, repel the viral
    > agents, and help you prosecute the hackers.
    >
    > Microsoft will let you send and receive e-mail with embedded binaries
    > you can't trust, that are loaded with malware, Linux will receive that
    > e-mail and alert you that you have an attempted hack.
    >
    > Microsoft will let you play cool music, Linux/Unix is used in most of
    > the major recording studios to put out the platinum albums.

    I think you went on typing a little toooooo long, Rex .

    --
    The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected.
    -- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972

  9. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On Jul 19, 10:24 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * Rex Ballard peremptorily fired off this memo:

    [snip lots of stuff]

    > I think you went on typing a little toooooo long, Rex .

    Again!!! Sorry about that. Thank goodness I had a prior engagement
    and had to rush to finish. :-D

    > --
    > The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected.
    > -- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972

  10. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    High Plains Thumper schreef:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * ml2mst peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> I guess this is yet another attempt of Microsoft to keep
    >>> their monopoly. Since this way, you are _not_ able to send
    >>> your Windows CD/DVD back to Microsoft and demand a refund
    >>> for an Operating System, which doesn't meet your needs.

    >> Of course. Their a legend in their own minds. (And too few
    >> consumers know otherwise.)

    > It's another form of the Microsoft tax.

    Of course it is. MICROS~666 is becoming aware of the fact, that Windows
    is becoming obsolete.

    >>> Since DFS floods COLA with issues from Ubuntu Forums, I
    >>> expected quite some problems.
    >>>
    >>> My conclusion is: DFS a liar. He simply digs these
    >>> "problems" up, because he hasn't the slightest clue.

    >> Ya think?

    Oh crap Linonut, your right, this is like saying "water is whet" or the
    ilks :-D

    > No, he does it deliberately. Reference Comes vs Microsoft court document:
    >
    > http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf
    >
    > PDF page 45:
    During the mopping-up phase, ensure that the enemy
    > technology is routed. Use the press, the Internet, etc. to heighten the
    > impression that the enemy is desperate, demoralized, defeated, deceased.
    >

    > PDF page 55:
    In the Mopping Up phase, Evangelism's goal is to
    > put the final nail into the competing technology's coffin, and bury it
    > in the burning depths of the earth.
    >
    > Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with mental
    > deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and
    > OS/2." Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups,
    > whatever.
    > ^^^^^^^^^^
    > make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the
    > mythology of the computer industry.
    >
    >>> After I installed some additional software: Mozilla Firefox,
    >>> and made it the default browser, Mozilla Thuderbird, and
    >>> made it the default Email and news client, plus removed the
    >>> "Trial" crapware (Office 2007 and McAffee), Windows Vista,
    >>> "simply" started re-installing itself again.
    >>>
    >>> It simply formatted drive C: from scratch and reinstalled
    >>> all the crapware.

    >> That makes no sense at all. Unless the presence of another
    >> "Unknown" partition triggered this crap (which is just as
    >> "evil", of course.)

    > Had to be. It is stored somewhere. That seems to negate dual booting.
    > About the only way to rid the system totally is total repartition and
    > reformat the entire drive (an easy do in Linux) to remove traces.

    Of course that doesn't make any sense and I was quite pissed about it. I
    simply rebooted the system and it reinstalled Vista. The only thing I
    could think of was "WTF?"

    > Is there a way for Marti to write a formal complaint to the European
    > Commission?

    Unfortunately not I'm afraid, due to the lack of a CD/DVD, any form of
    documentation and a "key",
    I have no "physical" prove that I am a "genuine" Windows Vista "owner"
    (well sort of the communistic crap).

    MICROS~666 has simply mad it impossible to claim a refund this way.

    >>> GNU/Linux distributions beat Microsoft Windows (in its
    >>> current state) by Far.

    >> Just you wait for Windows 7.
    >>
    >> NT. 2000. XP. Vista. And now 7.
    >>
    >> Seems Microsoft's marketing department is thrashing around for
    >> a good corporate naming convention.

    > You mean Micoshaft Pista? :-)

    Correct, it's Windows PISta, and I have *prove* that it's a POS.

    Fortunately the Ubuntu ShipIT service send me a *free* copy of Hardy
    Heron, including Gparted, so in the meantime, I repartitioned the HDD
    and thus this machine is a Ubuntu GNU/Linux (single boot) only system.

    No matter what DFS and his fellow liars want to make you believe, I
    declare the Acer Aspire 7220 "Linux ready".

    Cheers

    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  11. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    ml2mst schreef:
    > High Plains Thumper schreef:
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> ml2mst fired off:

    >>> Of course. Their a legend in their own minds. (And too few consumers
    >>> know otherwise.)

    >> It's another form of the Microsoft tax.

    > Of course it is. MICROS~666 is becoming aware of the fact, that Windows
    > is becoming obsolete.

    >>> Ya think?

    > Oh crap Linonut, your right, this is like saying "water is whet" or the
    > ilks :-D

    I see a combination (which is accorded with the Microsoft Evangelism).
    Some are problems fallaciously brought up by the Microsoft evangelists,
    others appear to be bonafide failing hardware problems.

    I have used Linux to troubleshoot a Windows problem. It is less tolerant
    on hardware errors and thus helps me to isolate hardware failure issues.

    >> No, he does it deliberately. Reference Comes vs Microsoft court
    >> document:
    >>
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf
    >>
    >> PDF page 45:
    During the mopping-up phase, ensure that the enemy
    >> technology is routed. Use the press, the Internet, etc. to heighten
    >> the impression that the enemy is desperate, demoralized, defeated,
    >> deceased.
    >>
    >> PDF page 55:
    In the Mopping Up phase, Evangelism's goal is to
    >> put the final nail into the competing technology's coffin, and bury it
    >> in the burning depths of the earth.
    >>
    >> Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with mental
    >> deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and
    >> OS/2." Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups,
    >> whatever. Make the complete failure of the competition's technology
    >> part of the mythology of the computer industry.

    >>> That makes no sense at all. Unless the presence of another "Unknown"
    >>> partition triggered this crap (which is just as "evil", of course.)

    >> Had to be. It is stored somewhere. That seems to negate dual booting.
    >> About the only way to rid the system totally is total repartition and
    >> reformat the entire drive (an easy do in Linux) to remove traces.

    > Of course that doesn't make any sense and I was quite pissed about it. I
    > simply rebooted the system and it reinstalled Vista. The only thing I
    > could think of was "WTF?"
    >
    >> Is there a way for Marti to write a formal complaint to the European
    >> Commission?

    > Unfortunately not I'm afraid, due to the lack of a CD/DVD, any form of
    > documentation and a "key", I have no "physical" prove that I am a
    > "genuine" Windows Vista "owner" (well sort of the communistic crap).
    >
    > MICROS~666 has simply made it impossible to claim a refund this way.

    No, you have proof from your MICROS~666 billing invoice and (I
    realise now after the fact) of the computer
    properties (shows OS serial No.), paste into a document and print.

    I was thinking more of how to support the EU Commission, not necessarily a
    refund.

    I think what is more important is your description of the problem since
    you wiped your hard disk clean, and the invoice. You would be among
    others who have complained. The more that complain, the stronger it makes
    the EU realise how serious the problem, so they can act or to strengthen
    their case.

    >>> Just you wait for Windows 7. NT. 2000. XP. Vista. And now 7.
    >>> [...]

    >> You mean Micoshaft Pista? :-)

    > Correct, it's Windows PISta, and I have *prove* that it's a POS.
    >
    > Fortunately the Ubuntu ShipIT service send me a *free* copy of Hardy
    > Heron, including Gparted, so in the meantime, I repartitioned the HDD
    > and thus this machine is a Ubuntu GNU/Linux (single boot) only system.
    >
    > No matter what DFS and his fellow liars want to make you believe, I
    > declare the Acer Aspire 7220 "Linux ready".

    I bought a compact external USB DVD Lightscribe burner for my failed
    laptop one for $70 US plus shipping from TigerDirect.com. I put back the
    CD reader in the slot when I removed the bad DVD-ROM. Now, if I need DVD
    I can connect it, have access. The old Dell C600 Latitude with 0.85 GHz
    Intel Mobile is "Linux ready".

    My daughter's ASUS EeePC 4G is "Linux ready" and she loves it.

    --
    HPT

  12. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 00:52:31 +2400, God wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote in message
    >
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:03:54 +2400, God wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sinister Midget wrote in message

    >> Why not just use the correct one- mendacity?
    >>
    >>> Hm. Midget must refer to your mentality.
    >>>
    >>> Web Results 1 - 100 of about 260 for liarness. (0.60 seconds)
    >>>
    >>> Groups Results 1 - 11 of 11 for liarness.
    >>>
    >>> HTH

    >> Sorry for piggy-backing on your post, God. I can't see the original
    >> post. Filters, y'see.

    > It's refreshing to be apologised to in this day and age, Mister
    > Aardvark, so I've granted you your life-long desire.
    >
    > Enjoy your new vagina.
    >
    > Sorry about the position, but it looked much better under your nose.

    No problem. I've always loved that aroma. :-)

    --
    As I watched the video of Saddam Hussein's execution a thought
    suddenly struck me: Is there NOTHING on the internet I won't
    masturbate to???

  13. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Show me a single lie, dumb****.

    > and his fellow liars want to make you believe, I
    > declare the Acer Aspire 7220 "Linux ready".

    Acer recommends Vista Home Premium for the Aspire 7220
    http://global.acer.com/PRODUCTS/notebook/as7220.htm

    You can declare anything you want, but based on the incredible hassles with
    Aspires, Linux seems to not be ready for them:
    http://www.debianhelp.org/node/12856
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=Aspire+7220

    The Ubuntu forums alone have 250 problem threads relating to Acer Aspire
    laptops
    http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=44868830

    So isn't it a fact that Linux - with it's crappy hardware recognition, poor
    wireless support, poor power management support - isn't ready for any
    laptop?

  14. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    DFS schreef:

    > ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >> No matter what DFS

    > Show me a single lie, dumb****.

    A single only? just take a look of any of your posts!

    >> and his fellow liars want to make you believe, I
    >> declare the Acer Aspire 7220 "Linux ready".

    > Acer recommends Vista Home Premium for the Aspire 7220
    > http://global.acer.com/PRODUCTS/notebook/as7220.htm

    Yup and it still is a POS. Vista gives you this 8-bit "home-computer"
    experience with "data recorder" again.

    > You can declare anything you want, but based on the incredible hassles with
    > Aspires, Linux seems to not be ready for them:

    Sorry, but I'm sending this message from my Acer Aspire 7220 using
    Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 under Ubuntu 8.04.1 (read the message header).

    > http://www.debianhelp.org/node/12856
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=Aspire+7220

    I don't even bother to read this, again! I'm sending this from my Acer
    Aspire 7220, running Ubuntu Hardy Heron...

    > The Ubuntu forums alone have 250 problem threads relating to Acer Aspire
    > laptops
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=44868830

    And again, I'm sending this message from my Acer Aspire 7220 using
    Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

    > So isn't it a fact that Linux - with it's crappy hardware recognition, poor
    > wireless support, poor power management support - isn't ready for any
    > laptop?

    No, that's not a fact, but a blatant lie and I am proving you're lying
    (as usual).

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  15. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    ml2mst wrote:
    > DFS schreef:
    >
    >> ml2mst wrote:
    >>
    >>> No matter what DFS

    >> Show me a single lie, dumb****.

    > A single only? just take a look of any of your posts!

    I knew you'd slink away.

    >>> and his fellow liars want to make you believe, I
    >>> declare the Acer Aspire 7220 "Linux ready".

    >> Acer recommends Vista Home Premium for the Aspire 7220
    >> http://global.acer.com/PRODUCTS/notebook/as7220.htm

    > Yup and it still is a POS.

    Read that again: "Acer recommends Vista Home Premium for the Aspire 7220".
    Why don't they recommend Linux?

    > Vista gives you this 8-bit "home-computer"
    > experience with "data recorder" again.

    Vista is a 32-bit operating system - how is it giving you an 8-bit
    experience?

    >> You can declare anything you want, but based on the incredible
    >> hassles with Aspires, Linux seems to not be ready for them:

    > Sorry, but I'm sending this message from my Acer Aspire 7220 using
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 under Ubuntu 8.04.1 (read the message header).

    For you, the ability to boot and email from that crapware is good enough to
    call it "Linux Ready".

    3rd-rate standards for 3rd rate crapware.

    Of course not - you're a chicken****. "It works for me!"

    >> The Ubuntu forums alone have 250 problem threads relating to Acer
    >> Aspire laptops
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=44868830

    > And again, I'm sending this message from my Acer Aspire 7220 using
    > Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

    And again, there are 250 threads - not posts - about Aspire problems and
    Ubuntu. That's just one distro, and one laptop vendor.

    Linux just works!

    >> So isn't it a fact that Linux - with it's crappy hardware
    >> recognition, poor wireless support, poor power management support -
    >> isn't ready for any laptop?

    > No, that's not a fact, but a blatant lie and I am proving you're lying
    > (as usual).

    Did you set ACPI=off in grub when you boot, to reduce random freezing? Lots
    of Ubuntu freezing victims have found that helps.

    There's "Linux Ready" (requires endless tweaking and you still have
    substandard power management, graphics problems and poor wireless support),
    and then there's "Windows Ready". Guess which people demand?

  16. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:39:35 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >> No matter what DFS

    > Show me a single lie, dumb****.
    >

    >> and his fellow liars want to make you believe, I
    >> declare the Acer Aspire 7220 "Linux ready".

    > Acer recommends Vista Home Premium for the Aspire 7220
    > http://global.acer.com/PRODUCTS/notebook/as7220.htm
    >

    > You can declare anything you want, but based on the incredible hassles with
    > Aspires, Linux seems to not be ready for them:
    > http://www.debianhelp.org/node/12856
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=Aspire+7220
    >
    > The Ubuntu forums alone have 250 problem threads relating to Acer Aspire
    > laptops
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=44868830
    >
    > So isn't it a fact that Linux - with it's crappy hardware recognition, poor
    > wireless support, poor power management support - isn't ready for any
    > laptop?

    Reading all that brings tears to my eyes?
    Why on earth would people punish themselves with garbage like Linux?

    Leave Linux on the geek servers where it belongs.

    Linux is just not ready for the desktop because there are far too many
    hassles.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:38:35 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Linux is just not ready for the desktop because there are far too many
    > hassles.

    It does take some intelligence to use it - perhaps that is where you have
    been having trouble?

  18. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Arse Cork OK wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:38:35 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Linux is just not ready for the desktop because there are far too
    >> many hassles.

    > It does take some intelligence to use it - perhaps that is where you
    > have been having trouble?

    It takes jack**** "intelligence" to use Linux - witness the cola bozos who
    use it: Gidget, Dumb Willie, WRonG, (p)Rick, 7, Tattoo Vampire, AZNonad,
    HPT, Marti... these are basically low-grade morons.

    What it takes is a willingness to waste obscense amounts of time if you want
    to do anything but the most basic stuff. And even the basics may cause you
    great hassles (depending on the distro - it's inconsistent as usual): just
    taking a screenshot with the Gnome menus expanded is a ridiculous chore.

  19. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:15:13 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Arse Cork OK wrote:
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:38:35 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux is just not ready for the desktop because there are far too
    >>> many hassles.

    >> It does take some intelligence to use it - perhaps that is where you
    >> have been having trouble?

    > It takes jack**** "intelligence" to use Linux - witness the cola bozos who
    > use it: Gidget, Dumb Willie, WRonG, (p)Rick, 7, Tattoo Vampire, AZNonad,
    > HPT, Marti... these are basically low-grade morons.
    >
    > What it takes is a willingness to waste obscense amounts of time if you want
    > to do anything but the most basic stuff. And even the basics may cause you
    > great hassles (depending on the distro - it's inconsistent as usual): just
    > taking a screenshot with the Gnome menus expanded is a ridiculous chore.

    You beat me to it....

    Reading the Linux loons posts in COLA is proof enough that any idiot can
    use Linux.
    Brains seem to be optional.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    * Arse Cork OK peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:38:35 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Linux is just not ready for the desktop because there are far too many
    >> hassles.

    > It does take some intelligence to use it - perhaps that is where you have
    > been having trouble?

    The "problem" with Linux for most average consumers?

    1. It isn't preloaded, and certainly not under the auspices of a
    monopolistic software vendor.

    2. It isn't an exact clone of Windows.

    The second "problem" isn't all that big of one, however, since most
    people really don't grok Windows all that well, either.

    --
    There is no doubt that my lawyer is honest. For example, when he
    filed his income tax return last year, he declared half of his salary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast