Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron - Linux ; Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly: > Indeed, especially since Linux will go back to one highly desirable > component of 8-bit computerdom -- "Instant On". I'd estimate the Sinclair Spectrum at about ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 43 of 43

  1. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    > Indeed, especially since Linux will go back to one highly desirable
    > component of 8-bit computerdom -- "Instant On".

    I'd estimate the Sinclair Spectrum at about two seconds, since it
    "blinked" first before producing the "©1982 Sinclair Research" intro,
    and finally giving a BASIC prompt. Not quite instant, but close enough.
    Still, as bootstraps go that's pretty impressive. I can't recall if
    adding a Microdrive (the original, not the IBM Flash-like HDD) increased
    the initialisation time any, but I wouldn't have thought it was a
    significant delay.

    > http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...-instant-linux
    >
    > Cold start to Browser in less than 15 (5?) seconds, presumably. Even
    > Gentoo on my laptop can't quite handle that. (Yet.)

    Nice to see progress moving in the /right/ direction, rather than
    backwards (a la Vista).

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    20:45:11 up 213 days, 17:20, 4 users, load average: 0.24, 0.29, 0.29

  2. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >
    >> Indeed, especially since Linux will go back to one highly desirable
    >> component of 8-bit computerdom -- "Instant On".

    > I'd estimate the Sinclair Spectrum at about two seconds, since it
    > "blinked" first before producing the "1982 Sinclair Research" intro,
    > and finally giving a BASIC prompt. Not quite instant, but close enough.
    > Still, as bootstraps go that's pretty impressive. I can't recall if
    > adding a Microdrive (the original, not the IBM Flash-like HDD) increased
    > the initialisation time any, but I wouldn't have thought it was a
    > significant delay.

    Well, the "blink" was a RAM test. If it hadn't done that, it would've been
    instant on. That's the benefit or ROM afterall.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  3. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > Your comments are nothing more than a FUD campaign.

    That's not my intention, but even if it were it's a sight better than a
    10-year long LIE campaign by the ragtag Linux community of MS haters.

    Example: Rex Ballard tells more lies in any one of his long rambling posts
    than you'll hear from 10 anti-Linux people in a whole month.

    > Fortunately it doesn't cost people anything to prove you wrong by seeing
    > for themselves.

    And as soon as someone uses Windows (XP, Vista) for a little while
    they'll see how many lies the Linux idiots have been spewing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3