Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron - Linux ; Arse Cork OK schreef: > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:38:35 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote: > >> Linux is just not ready for the desktop because there are far too many >> hassles. > > It does take some intelligence ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

  1. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Arse Cork OK schreef:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:38:35 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Linux is just not ready for the desktop because there are far too many
    >> hassles.

    > It does take some intelligence to use it - perhaps that is where you have
    > been having trouble?

    LOL, actually the installation of Ubuntu requires an IQ comparable to
    the average shoe size.

    It kept the C: partition fully in tact. Vista destroyed it, by
    reinstalling itself and formatting the partition - not Ubuntu -.

    Ubuntu prompted me whether I preferred the propitiatory Nvidia video and
    Atheros Wifi drivers and choose the correct screen resolution without
    any interaction. I expected the screen resolution to be problem and I
    was simply wrong.

    Does Flatty think that an Operating System which randomly installs
    itself is ready for the desktop. I think not.

    (Follow up to Windroid NG's removed).

    Cheers

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  2. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    |Reading all that brings tears to my eyes?
    |Why on earth would people punish themselves with garbage like Linux?
    |
    |Leave Linux on the geek servers where it belongs.
    |
    |Linux is just not ready for the desktop because there are far too many
    |hassles.

    I do not understand all the drama. It's matter os an OS, something
    which enables us to do stuff on a computer. There's nothing geeky or
    wrong with the latest popular Linux distributions like Ubuntu and
    PCLinuxOS. They install without major problems and does what most
    people need done. There's still some lag with regards to drivers for
    some devices, but even that's getting better.

    I ran Linux back in the last Millenium. Now, that was a challenge.
    Especially to install was time consuming and frustrating. But when it
    ran, it ran. Now install of for instance PCLinuxOS is faster than
    Windows Vista even if Vista is previously installed.

    And then there's Vista. I relly like Vista a lot. It simply works for
    me. I have both Linux and Vista on my laptop. I use what I think is
    best and gets my job done most efficiently. Right now it's Vista. But!
    There's a great but! If you computer is made before 2007 forget it. On
    my old laptop I have PCLinuxOs. I tried Vista on it, but it won't run
    well. And if I have to choose between XP and Linux, it'll be Linux.

    Sorry for not being a fanboy either way!

    --
    //ceed

  3. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    ml2mst wrote:

    > Does Flatty think that an Operating System which randomly installs
    > itself is ready for the desktop. I think not.

    You seem to think an operating system which randomly freezes and requires a
    hard boot is ready for the desktop. I know not.

  4. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Verily I say unto thee, that ml2mst spake thusly:

    > Yup and it still is a POS. Vista gives you this 8-bit
    > "home-computer" experience with "data recorder" again.

    That's quite an insult to 8-bit computing.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    01:50:39 up 212 days, 22:26, 3 users, load average: 0.74, 0.47, 0.37

  5. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On 2008-07-20, DFS wrote:
    > ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >> Does Flatty think that an Operating System which randomly installs
    >> itself is ready for the desktop. I think not.

    > You seem to think an operating system which randomly freezes and requires a
    > hard boot is ready for the desktop. I know not.

    How long does it take for YOUR hardy configuration to freeze?

    My Hardy machines have no problems.

    It's hard to judge stuff grabbed from the ether. I can really only
    judge based on my own experiences and things I see for myself. While
    I don't see Hardy freezing on a regular basis I do see WinDOS machines
    getting infested on a regular basis.

    Your comments are nothing more than a FUD campaign.

    Fortunately it doesn't cost people anything to prove you wrong by
    seeing for themselves.

    --
    Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    / | \

  6. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On 2008-07-20, ceed wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >|Reading all that brings tears to my eyes?
    >|Why on earth would people punish themselves with garbage like Linux?
    >|
    >|Leave Linux on the geek servers where it belongs.
    >|
    >|Linux is just not ready for the desktop because there are far too many
    >|hassles.
    >
    > I do not understand all the drama. It's matter os an OS, something

    He's trying to manufacture drama.

    He's trying to scare people off.

    He's trying to manufacture pervasive problems when there aren't any.

    He's trying to use inherent the openness of Linux as a propaganda tool.

    --
    Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    / | \

  7. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:55:31 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-07-20, DFS wrote:
    >> ml2mst wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does Flatty think that an Operating System which randomly installs
    >>> itself is ready for the desktop. I think not.

    >> You seem to think an operating system which randomly freezes and
    >> requires a hard boot is ready for the desktop. I know not.

    Seems to be describing M$ windows crapware. I know many windoze sysadmins
    who have people running to them with that problem, & spontaneous reboots
    too.

    > How long does it take for YOUR hardy configuration to freeze?
    >
    > My Hardy machines have no problems.
    >
    > It's hard to judge stuff grabbed from the ether. I can really only
    > judge based on my own experiences and things I see for myself. While I
    > don't see Hardy freezing on a regular basis I do see WinDOS machines
    > getting infested on a regular basis.
    >
    > Your comments are nothing more than a FUD campaign.
    >
    > Fortunately it doesn't cost people anything to prove you wrong by
    > seeing for themselves.

    Quite.

    --
    Is a M$ "Certificate of Authenticity"
    for Vista, a junk bond?

  8. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that ml2mst spake thusly:
    >
    >> Yup and it still is a POS. Vista gives you this 8-bit
    >> "home-computer" experience with "data recorder" again.

    > That's quite an insult to 8-bit computing.

    Indeed... Just look at the things they could squeeze out of an 8-bit.
    things the designers didn't think possible.
    All those programming tricks to get every last drop of power the cpu and
    memory could provide out of a machine...

    Now it takes a 3ghz cpu and 1 gig of ram just to open a menu quickly under
    Vista when they could do a similar thing back then using a millionth of the
    resources. 3.5mhz z80? Check! 48K RAM... (not meg, not gig... *K*)

    Yep, something that small even had word processors. Think there might've
    been a spreadsheet or two too for the speccy.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  9. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that ml2mst spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Yup and it still is a POS. Vista gives you this 8-bit
    >>> "home-computer" experience with "data recorder" again.

    >> That's quite an insult to 8-bit computing.
    >>

    > Indeed... Just look at the things they could squeeze out of an 8-bit.
    > things the designers didn't think possible.
    > All those programming tricks to get every last drop of power the cpu and
    > memory could provide out of a machine...
    >
    > Now it takes a 3ghz cpu and 1 gig of ram just to open a menu quickly under
    > Vista when they could do a similar thing back then using a millionth of the
    > resources. 3.5mhz z80? Check! 48K RAM... (not meg, not gig... *K*)

    You do realise there are reasons for a lot of this? These skills did not
    magically "vanish". Late bindings, object orientation,
    registry/db/config file based options rather than hard coding. Multi
    level GUI etc etc etc. e.g There was a reason the OS/2 WPS was a lot
    slower than the Windows desktop.

    > Yep, something that small even had word processors. Think there might've
    > been a spreadsheet or two too for the speccy.

    And they where complete pants to what is available now. Dont believe me?
    Run them in your emulator and then consider what is going on on that
    machine now.

    --
    "I've heard "Linux is the future!" for, let me see now, must about 17
    years. For how long do I need to listen to that clap trap?"

  10. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    On 2008-07-21, Hadron wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell writes:
    >
    >> Homer wrote:
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that ml2mst spake thusly:

    >>> That's quite an insult to 8-bit computing.
    >>>

    >> Indeed... Just look at the things they could squeeze out of an 8-bit.
    >> things the designers didn't think possible.
    >> All those programming tricks to get every last drop of power the cpu and
    >> memory could provide out of a machine...
    >>
    >> Now it takes a 3ghz cpu and 1 gig of ram just to open a menu quickly under
    >> Vista when they could do a similar thing back then using a millionth of the
    >> resources. 3.5mhz z80? Check! 48K RAM... (not meg, not gig... *K*)

    > You do realise there are reasons for a lot of this? These skills did not
    > magically "vanish". Late bindings, object orientation,
    > registry/db/config file based options rather than hard coding. Multi
    > level GUI etc etc etc. e.g There was a reason the OS/2 WPS was a lot
    > slower than the Windows desktop.

    There are 2 problems here.

    First there is the notion that an OS/2 era Windows desktop was fast.
    It wasn't. It was a bloated pig. Even 16 bit Windows running on top
    of DOS was a bloated pig. It really wasn't any worse than any of it's
    more fancy counterparts.

    This goes for OS/2 or Solaris or anything else.

    Windows 3.1 was a pig and took more resources than was commonly
    available at the time. In this respect it was no worse than OS/2
    was. OS/2 just caught all the flack for this. It was a bit of a
    double standard really.

    It was really quite illuminating when that RAM price drop hit
    around 95/96 and you could buy enough RAM to run Windows properly.
    For the longest time after that the wife thought that I had updgraded
    the CPU behind her back. All I did was add enough RAM to the machine
    to allow Windows to run without swapping excessively.

    >> Yep, something that small even had word processors. Think there might've
    >> been a spreadsheet or two too for the speccy.

    > And they where complete pants to what is available now. Dont believe me?
    > Run them in your emulator and then consider what is going on on that
    > machine now.

    You don't even have to go that far.

    You can simply examine two different "classes" of the same app.
    Those distinctions still exist despite the fact that Microsoft did it's
    best to eliminate that. "Back in the day" you didn't have to run the then
    current version of Word Perfect because the rank-and-file user didn't
    buy into the idea that you needed to. Home users used "home grade" apps
    rather than the overpowered and bloated "business grade" ones.

    Stuff seems unecessarily bloated now because there's lots of crap
    that people buy without really ever needing. They may percieve this
    problem and not really realize it. They might not quite recognize it.

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of mysql's |||
    popularity as does an attempt to do some simple date / | \

  11. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-07-21, Hadron wrote:
    >> Andrew Halliwell writes:

    >>> Indeed... Just look at the things they could squeeze out of an 8-bit.
    >>> things the designers didn't think possible.
    >>> All those programming tricks to get every last drop of power the cpu and
    >>> memory could provide out of a machine...
    >>>
    >>> Now it takes a 3ghz cpu and 1 gig of ram just to open a menu quickly under
    >>> Vista when they could do a similar thing back then using a millionth of the
    >>> resources. 3.5mhz z80? Check! 48K RAM... (not meg, not gig... *K*)

    >> You do realise there are reasons for a lot of this? These skills did not
    >> magically "vanish". Late bindings, object orientation,
    >> registry/db/config file based options rather than hard coding. Multi
    >> level GUI etc etc etc. e.g There was a reason the OS/2 WPS was a lot
    >> slower than the Windows desktop.

    > There are 2 problems here.

    No. Just facts.

    > First there is the notion that an OS/2 era Windows desktop was fast.

    Yes it was. "Enough".

    > It wasn't. It was a bloated pig. Even 16 bit Windows running on top
    > of DOS was a bloated pig. It really wasn't any worse than any of it's
    > more fancy counterparts.

    Typical rabid hyperbole. It was a damn site lot faster than OS/2 WPS.

    > This goes for OS/2 or Solaris or anything else.

    People were trying to push the envelope. Only an idiot would have
    designed SW which did not take advantage of HW development "around the
    corner".

    > Windows 3.1 was a pig and took more resources than was commonly
    > available at the time. In this respect it was no worse than OS/2
    > was. OS/2 just caught all the flack for this. It was a bit of a
    > double standard really.

    Garbage. PM/WPS were a lot heavier and slower.

    > It was really quite illuminating when that RAM price drop hit
    > around 95/96 and you could buy enough RAM to run Windows properly.
    > For the longest time after that the wife thought that I had updgraded
    > the CPU behind her back. All I did was add enough RAM to the machine
    > to allow Windows to run without swapping excessively.

    Well, I was developing on Windows machines 94-96 and my machine worked
    just fine. You're making things up as you go along.

    >>> Yep, something that small even had word processors. Think there might've
    >>> been a spreadsheet or two too for the speccy.

    >> And they where complete pants to what is available now. Dont believe me?
    >> Run them in your emulator and then consider what is going on on that
    >> machine now.
    >>

    > You don't even have to go that far.
    >
    > You can simply examine two different "classes" of the same app.
    > Those distinctions still exist despite the fact that Microsoft did it's
    > best to eliminate that. "Back in the day" you didn't have to run the then
    > current version of Word Perfect because the rank-and-file user didn't
    > buy into the idea that you needed to. Home users used "home grade" apps
    > rather than the overpowered and bloated "business grade" ones.
    >
    > Stuff seems unecessarily bloated now because there's lots of crap
    > that people buy without really ever needing. They may percieve this
    > problem and not really realize it. They might not quite recognize it.

    Its true of most apps. And "things". People buy things with more
    features - not what they really "need". The Swiss Arms knife is a great
    example. Few people use more than the mainblade.

    But MS is certainly not the only offender. Look at that mess called KDE
    4.

    --
    BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!

  12. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Verily I say unto thee, that Andrew Halliwell spake thusly:

    > Yep, something that small even had word processors. Think there
    > might've been a spreadsheet or two too for the speccy.

    Tasword word processor, Psion Vu-Calc spreadsheet, Psion Vu-File
    database. There was also the Psion VU-3D modelling software, and OCP
    Advanced Art Studio image manipulation software. There was even a voice
    recognition program, rather unimaginatively titled "Voice Recognition".
    In fact you name it, the Speccy had it.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    16:51:28 up 213 days, 13:27, 3 users, load average: 0.36, 0.29, 0.59

  13. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Andrew Halliwell spake thusly:
    >
    >> Yep, something that small even had word processors. Think there
    >> might've been a spreadsheet or two too for the speccy.

    > Tasword word processor, Psion Vu-Calc spreadsheet, Psion Vu-File
    > database. There was also the Psion VU-3D modelling software, and OCP
    > Advanced Art Studio image manipulation software. There was even a voice
    > recognition program, rather unimaginatively titled "Voice Recognition".
    > In fact you name it, the Speccy had it.

    Aye, tasword was the wordprocessor I was thinking of...
    I was thinking there were spreadsheets a little more advanced than Vu-calc
    etc. Those came rather early in the speccy's life before the full power of
    the machine had been realised.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  14. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that ml2mst spake thusly:
    >
    >> Yup and it still is a POS. Vista gives you this 8-bit
    >> "home-computer" experience with "data recorder" again.

    > That's quite an insult to 8-bit computing.

    LOL :-) that's true.

    My first computer (Phillips NMS 8220 MSX2) did the job with the huge
    amount of 64K RAM.

    Now this one has freaking 2 GiB and Vista loads terribly slow. After
    logging on it pretends it's loaded. Fact is that the HDD kep on reading
    data for /at least/ 3 minutes. I could not do /nothing at all/ during
    that time.

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  15. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Andrew Halliwell spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Yep, something that small even had word processors. Think there
    >>> might've been a spreadsheet or two too for the speccy.

    >> Tasword word processor, Psion Vu-Calc spreadsheet, Psion Vu-File
    >> database. There was also the Psion VU-3D modelling software, and OCP
    >> Advanced Art Studio image manipulation software. There was even a voice
    >> recognition program, rather unimaginatively titled "Voice Recognition".
    >> In fact you name it, the Speccy had it.

    > Aye, tasword was the wordprocessor I was thinking of...
    > I was thinking there were spreadsheets a little more advanced than Vu-calc
    > etc. Those came rather early in the speccy's life before the full power of
    > the machine had been realised.

    Come off it and take your blinkers off. As far as HW went the Spectrum
    was about the weakest out there. However it got the SW because it was
    cheap and widely purchased. The Vic20 was more powerful and far better
    constructed.... The QL had a good WP too. Christ on a bike, the Ataris
    spanked its arse too. Who can ever forget Starraiders or Ballblazer? And
    that was released long time prior to the spectrum.

    --
    "I would assume her children might like to know where their mother is and
    have a place to *visit* her."

  16. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    ml2mst writes:

    > Homer wrote:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that ml2mst spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Yup and it still is a POS. Vista gives you this 8-bit
    >>> "home-computer" experience with "data recorder" again.

    >> That's quite an insult to 8-bit computing.
    >>

    > LOL :-) that's true.
    >
    > My first computer (Phillips NMS 8220 MSX2) did the job with the huge
    > amount of 64K RAM.
    >
    > Now this one has freaking 2 GiB and Vista loads terribly slow. After
    > logging on it pretends it's loaded. Fact is that the HDD kep on reading
    > data for /at least/ 3 minutes. I could not do /nothing at all/ during
    > that time.

    Sigh. Yeah lads. If only those old programmers were programming this new
    modern hw eh?

    (*chuckle*)

    --
    "I would assume her children might like to know where their mother is and
    have a place to *visit* her."
    -- "tiny dancer" in alt.true-crime, comp.os.linux.advocacy

  17. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that ml2mst spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Yup and it still is a POS. Vista gives you this 8-bit
    >>> "home-computer" experience with "data recorder" again.

    >> That's quite an insult to 8-bit computing.
    >>

    > Indeed... Just look at the things they could squeeze out of an 8-bit.
    > things the designers didn't think possible.
    > All those programming tricks to get every last drop of power the cpu and
    > memory could provide out of a machine...
    >
    > Now it takes a 3ghz cpu and 1 gig of ram just to open a menu quickly under
    > Vista when they could do a similar thing back then using a millionth of the
    > resources. 3.5mhz z80? Check! 48K RAM... (not meg, not gig... *K*)
    >
    > Yep, something that small even had word processors. Think there might've
    > been a spreadsheet or two too for the speccy.

    I know, but where would we be today without our sweet eye candy? Most
    people can't live without it these days, can they.

    But oh well, it's just how computers develop I guess.

  18. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    Verily I say unto thee, that ml2mst spake thusly:
    > Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that ml2mst spake thusly:

    >>> Yup and it still is a POS. Vista gives you this 8-bit
    >>> "home-computer" experience with "data recorder" again.

    >> That's quite an insult to 8-bit computing.
    >>

    > LOL :-) that's true.
    >
    > My first computer (Phillips NMS 8220 MSX2) did the job with the huge
    > amount of 64K RAM.
    >
    > Now this one has freaking 2 GiB and Vista loads terribly slow. After
    > logging on it pretends it's loaded. Fact is that the HDD kep on
    > reading data for /at least/ 3 minutes. I could not do /nothing at
    > all/ during that time.

    I have a HP calculator that can probably do more than Vista.
    Seriously.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    18:45:58 up 213 days, 15:21, 4 users, load average: 1.50, 0.80, 0.48

  19. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    * ml2mst peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Now this one has freaking 2 GiB and Vista loads terribly slow. After
    > logging on it pretends it's loaded. Fact is that the HDD kep on reading
    > data for /at least/ 3 minutes. I could not do /nothing at all/ during
    > that time.

    It might be fun to go to the office store, pretend to be interested in
    laptops, and ask the guy to let you reboot one.

    Or ask him what office software it comes with, or what compiler, web
    server software, etc.

    --
    "A unified, neutral Germany? Given that nation's heritage, such a
    phrase may prove to be the oxymoron of the decade." -Kevin M.

  20. Re: Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Hardy Heron

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:50:56 +0100
    :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that ml2mst spake thusly:
    >
    >> Yup and it still is a POS. Vista gives you this 8-bit
    >> "home-computer" experience with "data recorder" again.

    > That's quite an insult to 8-bit computing.

    Indeed, especially since Linux will go back to one highly
    desirable component of 8-bit computerdom -- "Instant On".

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...-instant-linux

    Cold start to Browser in less than 15 (5?) seconds, presumably.
    Even Gentoo on my laptop can't quite handle that. (Yet.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast