[News] ASUS Motherboards Bypass Windows, Give Huge Boost to GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. [News] ASUS Motherboards Bypass Windows, Give Huge Boost to GNU/Linux

    ASUS' Big Development

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The ASUS sneak attack. The most interesting story the media is downplaying is
    | the ASUS announcement that it will have a ROM boot chip on all its
    | motherboards, which will boot Linux instantly on start-up. When you flick the
    | switch the machine is instantly on. (It's about time.) Of course, you will
    | have to press another button for the machine to load Windows.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | It's an extremely subversive ploy for a number of reasons. First of all, it
    | gets people used to Linux, gives them a pain-free experience, and provides
    | quick rewards. Second, it shows users that—most of the time—this is all they
    | need. And finally, it makes Windows look like a subsystem not much different
    | from a program that you run under Windows. The psychological effect of this
    | is profound, and the results could be devastating for Microsoft.
    |
    | What will develop naturally from such a new architecture will be Linux
    | replacement apps for the usual Windows apps. One at a time they will come.
    | Windows will boot only for those laggard apps, such as Adobe Photoshop or
    | Illustrator. The rest of the time, users will remain in Linux, which will be
    | perceived as very snappy and responsive—something missing from Windows.
    `----

    Related:

    Splashtop “Instant On” motherboard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So I have had on my desk for about week now a sweet little ASUS laptop
    | containing one of the new Splashtop motherboards. Don’t know what Splashtop
    | is? Well Splashtop is a motherboard that contains, in the onboard memory, a
    | special version of Linux (based on Small Linux - formerly tinyX) that runs
    | right after the bios. In my review laptop, I hit a special key (mapped to
    | tinyX), the bios posts, and tinyX is up and ready to surf the Web and do a
    | minimum amount of tricks.
    `----

    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=187

    SplashTop Running On Prototype ASUS Notebook

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DeviceVM's SplashTop, a product we had named as one of the greatest Linux
    | innovations in 2007, is sharing a booth this week at the Consumer Electronic
    | Show (CES) with ASUS. At their booth we were allowed to check out a SplashTop
    | demo running on an ASUS notebook! This notebook has yet to be introduced by
    | ASUS, but it's intended for high-end gaming and comes with SplashTop Linux as
    | a complementary operating system. This version of SplashTop is slightly
    | updated and has new features too.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=965&num=1

    Embedded Linux goes Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DeviceVM, the maker of Splashtop software which features embedded Linux "Fast
    | Boot" products like featured in the Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-AP @n has just
    | released the source code to its software under GPL.
    `----

    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11..._open_source/1

    SplashTop Source Code Released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | These patches are for Bootsplash,
    | DVM, getting the CMOS time, adjusting the max loop, the sk98lin networking
    | driver, and SquashFS. Presently, the Linux kernel that SplashTop uses is
    | Linux 2.6.20.11.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=915&num=1

    ASUS add WiFi-N, quick-boot Linux to P5E3 motherboard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | hat last part is perhaps the most interesting; ASUS are calling it Express
    | Gate, but it’s basically a fast-boot alternative that, in just five seconds,
    | bypasses Windows and gives you a web-browser running in a custom Linux OS.
    `----

    http://www.slashgear.com/asus-add-wi...ard-267643.php

    Splashtop Linux conquers Asus laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's a small step for an operating system, perhaps, but it could be another
    | giant leap for Linux. DeviceVM has announced that its Splashtop 'instant-on'
    | Linux is to appear on Asus laptops from this summer.
    |
    | The news follows the DeviceVM's recent coup of persuading the influential
    | Taiwanese PC company to embed Splashtop - which Asus calls 'Express Gate' -
    | on all its motherboards, out of the blue putting a type of Linux in millions
    | of mainstream computers for the first time.
    `----

    http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=352...339E4889EF36A6

    Asus to launch laptops with instant-on feature

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Five new laptop models from Asus will incorporate DeviceVM's Splashtop
    | instant-on software, the computer maker said Thursday at the Computex show in
    | Taipei, Taiwan.
    `----

    http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9954282-2.html

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] ASUS Motherboards Bypass Windows, Give Huge Boost to GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:26:56 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ASUS' Big Development
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The ASUS sneak attack. The most interesting story the media is downplaying is
    >| the ASUS announcement that it will have a ROM boot chip on all its
    >| motherboards, which will boot Linux instantly on start-up. When you flick the
    >| switch the machine is instantly on. (It's about time.) Of course, you will
    >| have to press another button for the machine to load Windows.

    More parania from Roy Schestowitz the unemployed "Van Wilder" of University
    of Manchester GB.

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...witz-liar.html

    Exactly why would the media downplay this?

    For the record, that button to boot Windows had better have an over-ride
    switch because it's going to be used by the average user every single time
    he/she boots their system.

    Virtually nobody other than geeks is going to boot to Linux except maybe
    for diagnostic reasons.

    Asus is sinking their own ship here.

    Time to buy Abit...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] ASUS Motherboards Bypass Windows, Give Huge Boost to GNU/Linux

    In article ,
    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >More parania

    What's parania? Unnatural attraction to small carnivorous fish?

  4. Re: [News] ASUS Motherboards Bypass Windows, Give Huge Boost to GNU/Linux

    the wharf rat wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> More parania

    > What's parania? Unnatural attraction to small carnivorous fish?

    No, he has an unnatural attraction to homosexuality and male-to-female
    conversions, always reading into what people say; must be a closet
    sister.

    http://tinyurl.com/5hwppw

    From: Moshe Goldfarb [brick.n.straw@gmail.com]
    Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 09:59:50 -0400

    "High Plains Thumper (the name) sounds like some kind of a deranged
    effeminate cowboy that stepped right off Brokeback Mountain."

    http://tinyurl.com/6sb2g5

    Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 03:39:54 -0600

    http://tinyurl.com/5ckg78

    From: Moshe Goldfarb [brick.n.st...@gmail.com]
    Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 21:10:18 -0500

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.p...1abd2d6d85fdb6

    "Quite a bit has happened since I decided to have my testicles removed
    and start my gender re-assignment surgery."

    ..... and ad nauseum.

    --
    HPT

  5. Re: [News] ASUS Motherboards Bypass Windows, Give Huge Boost to GNU/Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:26:56 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> ASUS' Big Development
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The ASUS sneak attack. The most interesting story the media is
    >>| downplaying is the ASUS announcement that it will have a ROM boot chip
    >>| on all its motherboards, which will boot Linux instantly on start-up.
    >>| When you flick the switch the machine is instantly on. (It's about
    >>| time.) Of course, you will have to press another button for the machine
    >>| to load Windows.

    > More parania from Roy Schestowitz the unemployed "Van Wilder" of
    > University of Manchester GB.
    >
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...witz-liar.html
    >
    > Exactly why would the media downplay this?

    Micorsoft owns the media...

    > For the record, that button to boot Windows had better have an over-ride
    > switch because it's going to be used by the average user every single time
    > he/she boots their system.
    >
    > Virtually nobody other than geeks is going to boot to Linux except maybe
    > for diagnostic reasons.
    >
    > Asus is sinking their own ship here.

    Only "IF" you cant push the button and boot your favorite linux
    distribution...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  6. Re: [News] ASUS Motherboards Bypass Windows, Give Huge Boost to GNU/Linux

    wrote
    <41960434.FcPgH8j2bd@schestowitz.com>:

    > ASUS' Big Development
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The ASUS sneak attack. The most interesting story the
    > | media is downplaying is the ASUS announcement that it
    > | will have a ROM boot chip on all its motherboards,
    > | which will boot Linux instantly on start-up.

    Um...just out of curiosity...where is this Linux kernel
    stored? It's nice to see that we can finally have the
    Commodore 64 facility of "instant on" again, though. ;-)
    It's been what, 25 years? (The C-64 first came out in
    August 1982, according to Wiki.)

    A Google coughed up

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjEwNw

    which isn't horribly clear, couching things in jargon such
    as the Core Engine and the Virtual Appliance Environment.
    (What is this, MarketDroidSpeech(tm)?)

    http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/0,23...9289069,00.htm

    says this will be named "Splashtop" or "Express Gate".

    > | When you flick the
    > | switch the machine is instantly on. (It's about time.) Of course, you will
    > | have to press another button for the machine to load Windows.

    Odd way of doing things; one could simply schlep GRUB
    on there and have done with it, in an ideal world.
    (LILO would also work.) Then again, knowing Microsoft's
    habit of rewriting the boot record, maybe ASUS decided
    the VmWare approach was more likely to continue to work.

    > | [...]
    > |
    > | It's an extremely subversive ploy for a number of reasons. First of all, it
    > | gets people used to Linux, gives them a pain-free experience, and provides
    > | quick rewards. Second, it shows users that?most of the time?this is all they
    > | need. And finally, it makes Windows look like a subsystem not much different
    > | from a program that you run under Windows. The psychological effect of this
    > | is profound, and the results could be devastating for Microsoft.

    And very annoying for ASUS, if Microsoft decides to retaliate.

    > | What will develop naturally from such a new architecture will be Linux
    > | replacement apps for the usual Windows apps. One at a time they will come.
    > | Windows will boot only for those laggard apps, such as Adobe Photoshop or
    > | Illustrator. The rest of the time, users will remain in Linux, which will be
    > | perceived as very snappy and responsive?something missing from Windows.
    > `----

    [rest snipped for brevity]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Woman? What woman?"

  7. Re: [News] ASUS Motherboards Bypass Windows, Give Huge Boost to GNU/Linux

+ Reply to Thread