Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters - Linux

This is a discussion on Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters - Linux ; First post to c.o.l.a Moshe Goldfarb (brick.n.straw@gmail.com, but it changes), DFS (nospam@dfs_.com), Ezekiel (a@b.com), raylopez99 (raylopez99@yahoo.com), et al Might have missed a couple, I'm sure they will let me know. You guys are unhelpful, often off-topic and incoherent. Your childish ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

  1. Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    First post to c.o.l.a

    Moshe Goldfarb (brick.n.straw@gmail.com, but it changes), DFS
    (nospam@dfs_.com), Ezekiel (a@b.com), raylopez99 (raylopez99@yahoo.com),
    et al

    Might have missed a couple, I'm sure they will let me know.

    You guys are unhelpful, often off-topic and incoherent. Your childish
    attacks actually *lend credibility to Linux* and hurts your cause, which
    is transparently anti-Linux. Your posts really say more about yourselves
    than Linux. If you knew how to debate without insulting your opponent
    then your intended audience (guys like me, probably) would be more
    likely to read you.

    In fact I fully expect to be attacked myself, such is the opinion I have
    of you four. Which would of course prove my point. You all spend time in
    a Linux advocacy group attacking *linux advocates*. WTF? These attacks
    are usually in favor of Windows. Microsoft doesn't need your help.
    Microsoft is the incumbent, *nix is the competitor.

    The trolling *does* generate lively discussion. Sometimes useful
    information is gleaned from the patient way that helpful posters,
    unaware that they are being trolled, genuinely attempt to help the
    troller.

    Furthermore, I find that the Linux advocates in this group are not
    adverse to suggesting users use *Windows* if that is indeed the best
    choice. Roy Schestowitz enjoys posting links to news reports critical of
    Microsoft, that while voluminous, are no less accurate for that. He also
    posts many stories that do not mention Microsoft at all. Really, though,
    how can any OS that shares a market with Microsoft not bump heads with
    that giant who uses anticompetitive tactics to smother it?

    About me:

    I have been a usenet poster for many years on many different computers
    with many different names since 1993. I like mac OS X these days but I
    started out using Windows like many others. Because I can, and because
    of the Unix core of OS X (since 2000), I frequently use Terminal to run
    a Unix shell (I know Unix and Linux aren't the same but very close in
    operation). I also run X11 on my iBook. Frankly, while not free (and
    only partially open-source) OS X is really a nice Unix GUI.

    The knowledge I gained via OS X's Unix shell motivated me to run Ubuntu
    7.04 on my Dell inspiron with confidence. Even though Ubuntu is a fine
    GUI distribution I wanted more knowledge before the jump from XP to
    Linux. *nix takes a little know-how, but I spent countless hours
    learning how to use Windows and MacOS. There is no free lunch.

    And, hey, Moshe Goldfarb, stop changing your name so I can successfully
    plonk you OK? What a douchebag. You think your pro-Microsoft argument is
    better received if you do crap like that? You're in my kill file under 5
    different names already.

  2. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    George writes:

    > First post to c.o.l.a
    >
    > Moshe Goldfarb (brick.n.straw@gmail.com, but it changes), DFS
    > (nospam@dfs_.com), Ezekiel (a@b.com), raylopez99 (raylopez99@yahoo.com),
    > et al
    >
    > Might have missed a couple, I'm sure they will let me know.
    >
    > You guys are unhelpful, often off-topic and incoherent. Your childish

    I think you mean 7 and High Plains Hypocrite.

    > attacks actually *lend credibility to Linux* and hurts your cause,
    > which

    What cause? Correcting lies put about by "advocates". Note the
    quotes. An "advocate" is not the same thing as an advocate.

    > is transparently anti-Linux. Your posts really say more about yourselves
    > than Linux. If you knew how to debate without insulting your opponent
    > then your intended audience (guys like me, probably) would be more
    > likely to read you.

    Look, we know who you are. Give it up.

    > In fact I fully expect to be attacked myself, such is the opinion I
    > have

    Huh? You think too much of yourself.

    > of you four. Which would of course prove my point. You all spend time in
    > a Linux advocacy group attacking *linux advocates*. WTF? These attacks
    > are usually in favor of Windows. Microsoft doesn't need your help.
    > Microsoft is the incumbent, *nix is the competitor.
    >
    > The trolling *does* generate lively discussion. Sometimes useful
    > information is gleaned from the patient way that helpful posters,
    > unaware that they are being trolled, genuinely attempt to help the
    > troller.

    That can happen yes. But helpful posters here are few and far between.

    > Furthermore, I find that the Linux advocates in this group are not
    > adverse to suggesting users use *Windows* if that is indeed the best

    *cough* WHAT? Maybe on in a 100 of High Plains Hypocrite's nyms
    might. The rest just insult Windows users and tell lies about
    Windows. Personally I recommend both.

    > choice. Roy Schestowitz enjoys posting links to news reports critical of
    > Microsoft, that while voluminous, are no less accurate for that. He
    > also

    And OT..

    > posts many stories that do not mention Microsoft at all. Really, though,
    > how can any OS that shares a market with Microsoft not bump heads with
    > that giant who uses anticompetitive tactics to smother it?

    *chuckle*

    > About me:

    Really. No one cares.

    > I have been a usenet poster for many years on many different computers
    > with many different names since 1993. I like mac OS X these days but I
    > started out using Windows like many others. Because I can, and because
    > of the Unix core of OS X (since 2000), I frequently use Terminal to run
    > a Unix shell (I know Unix and Linux aren't the same but very close in

    "Terminal to run a unix shell". OOooo! 1337!

    > operation). I also run X11 on my iBook. Frankly, while not free (and
    > only partially open-source) OS X is really a nice Unix GUI.

    He runs X11!!!! Hilarious.

    > The knowledge I gained via OS X's Unix shell motivated me to run Ubuntu
    > 7.04 on my Dell inspiron with confidence. Even though Ubuntu is a fine
    > GUI distribution I wanted more knowledge before the jump from XP to
    > Linux. *nix takes a little know-how, but I spent countless hours
    > learning how to use Windows and MacOS. There is no free lunch.
    >

    > And, hey, Moshe Goldfarb, stop changing your name so I can
    > successfully
    > plonk you OK? What a douchebag. You think your pro-Microsoft argument is
    > better received if you do crap like that? You're in my kill file under 5
    > different names already.

    Seriously, who do you think you are kidding "George"?

  3. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    In article ,
    Hadron wrote:

    >A lot of stuff

    That was fast!

    This is not good. The trolls have had their way with your group for so
    long that one guy thinks I am not even who I say I am!

    As though I said anything inflammatory enough to generate such a reply.

    Peace

  4. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    George wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> A lot of stuff

    > That was fast!
    >
    > This is not good. The trolls have had their way with your group for so
    > long that one guy thinks I am not even who I say I am!
    >
    > As though I said anything inflammatory enough to generate such a reply.
    >
    > Peace

    What I found funny is how he told you not to think so highly of yourself
    as to get a verbal attack, when he was doing that very thing in his post.

  5. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    Ben wrote:
    > George wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> A lot of stuff

    >> That was fast!
    >>
    >> This is not good. The trolls have had their way with your group for so
    >> long that one guy thinks I am not even who I say I am!
    >>
    >> As though I said anything inflammatory enough to generate such a reply.
    >>
    >> Peace

    > What I found funny is how he told you not to think so highly of yourself
    > as to get a verbal attack, when he was doing that very thing in his post.

    Well, that's vintage Quack for you.

  6. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:38:29 +0000, George wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >>A lot of stuff

    > That was fast!
    >
    > This is not good. The trolls have had their way with your group for so
    > long that one guy thinks I am not even who I say I am!
    >
    > As though I said anything inflammatory enough to generate such a reply.
    >
    > Peace

    Well, that's what you get for leaving Hardon out of the OP.

  7. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

  8. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    "George" schreef in bericht
    > First post to c.o.l.a
    >
    > Moshe Goldfarb (brick.n.straw@gmail.com, but it changes), DFS
    > (nospam@dfs_.com), Ezekiel (a@b.com), raylopez99 (raylopez99@yahoo.com),
    > et al
    >
    > Might ..........

    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

  9. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    On Jul 18, 11:38 am, George wrote:
    > In article ,
    >
    > Hadron wrote:
    > >A lot of stuff

    > That was fast!
    >
    > This is not good. The trolls have had their way with your group for so
    > long that one guy thinks I am not even who I say I am!
    >
    > As though I said anything inflammatory enough to generate such a reply.
    >
    > Peace

    That's Hadron's style. Attack if you can find a flaw somewhere,
    attack if you can't. Just attack.

    The trolls discredit themselves by the ugliness of their attacks.
    Flatfish (=Moshe plus a thousand other nyms) tries to hide it somewhat
    by using anonymous, one-time nyms for the dirtiest work. He is also a
    master of brazen hypocracy, accusing others over and over again of
    precisely his own crimes. They also try to pass themselves off as
    "Linux advocates."

    The Linux advocates are not always super polite, either, but overall
    there's no comparison in civility between the two.

  10. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > On Jul 18, 11:38 am, George wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >>
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>> A lot of stuff

    >> That was fast!
    >>
    >> This is not good. The trolls have had their way with your group for so
    >> long that one guy thinks I am not even who I say I am!
    >>
    >> As though I said anything inflammatory enough to generate such a reply.
    >>
    >> Peace

    > That's Hadron's style. Attack if you can find a flaw somewhere,
    > attack if you can't. Just attack.
    >
    > The trolls discredit themselves by the ugliness of their attacks.
    > Flatfish (=Moshe plus a thousand other nyms) tries to hide it somewhat
    > by using anonymous, one-time nyms for the dirtiest work. He is also a
    > master of brazen hypocracy, accusing others over and over again of
    > precisely his own crimes. They also try to pass themselves off as
    > "Linux advocates."
    >
    > The Linux advocates are not always super polite, either, but overall
    > there's no comparison in civility between the two.

    If you suspect it's Moshe being dirty, just ignore it. Same as any post
    which you feel you can't reply to politely.

    Why is the principle "Don't feed the trolls" never exercised around here?

  11. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    On Jul 18, 1:46*pm, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    wrote:

    > The Linux advocates are not always super polite, either, but overall
    > there's no comparison in civility between the two.

    Nessomo are you graduating this year? You missed the spring
    graduation. I hope you find a job--english lit, that was a dumb major
    to pick. Maybe you can find work around downtown Oakland picking up
    litter with the sanitation crews and parolees.

    RL

  12. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Jul 18, 1:46 pm, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The Linux advocates are not always super polite, either, but overall
    >> there's no comparison in civility between the two.

    > Nessomo are you graduating this year? You missed the spring
    > graduation. I hope you find a job--english lit, that was a dumb major
    > to pick. Maybe you can find work around downtown Oakland picking up
    > litter with the sanitation crews and parolees.
    >
    > RL

    Is this Moshe again?

  13. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > Well, as a chess player, thinking one more move ahead, I wonder--does
    > that mean we Linux bashers are *pro-Linux*? By looking so stupid, a

    You admit to being a linux basher in a linux advocacy newsgroup. There
    goes any credibility you had left.

  14. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >> Well, as a chess player, thinking one more move ahead, I wonder--does
    >> that mean we Linux bashers are *pro-Linux*? By looking so stupid, a

    > You admit to being a linux basher in a linux advocacy newsgroup. There
    > goes any credibility you had left.

    Yeah... XD

    I've said it and I'll say it again. You don't like Linux, go find
    another newsgroup aimed at people who agree with you. This applies to
    all "Linux bashers" who hang out in newsgroups for Linux users and
    advocates.

    Get

    Life

  15. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    Ben wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>> Well, as a chess player, thinking one more move ahead, I wonder--does
    >>> that mean we Linux bashers are *pro-Linux*? By looking so stupid, a

    >> You admit to being a linux basher in a linux advocacy newsgroup. There
    >> goes any credibility you had left.

    > Yeah... XD
    >
    > I've said it and I'll say it again. You don't like Linux, go find
    > another newsgroup aimed at people who agree with you. This applies to
    > all "Linux bashers" who hang out in newsgroups for Linux users and
    > advocates.

    Personally I use both linux and windows for different reasons - I can
    see both sides of the argument and use each on its merits. I think these
    black and white sell-your-soul kinda guys are weird. And I've yet to
    meet a linux advocate in here that gets vociferous with me for using
    both. Its only the winloons that have done that so far in my experience.

  16. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ark-troll.html

    --
    Is a M$ "Certificate of Authenticity"
    for Vista, a junk bond?

  17. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    "Phil Da Lick!" writes:

    > Ben wrote:
    >> Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >>>

    >>> You admit to being a linux basher in a linux advocacy
    >>> newsgroup. There goes any credibility you had left.

    >> Yeah... XD
    >>
    >> I've said it and I'll say it again. You don't like Linux, go find
    >> another newsgroup aimed at people who agree with you. This applies
    >> to all "Linux bashers" who hang out in newsgroups for Linux users
    >> and advocates.

    > Personally I use both linux and windows for different reasons - I can
    > see both sides of the argument and use each on its merits. I think
    > these black and white sell-your-soul kinda guys are weird. And I've
    > yet to meet a linux advocate in here that gets vociferous with me for
    > using both. Its only the winloons that have done that so far in my
    > experience.

    That is an out and out lie.

  18. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >> Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >>>

    >>> You admit to being a linux basher in a linux advocacy newsgroup.
    >>> There goes any credibility you had left.

    >> Yeah... XD
    >>
    >> I've said it and I'll say it again. You don't like Linux, go find
    >> another newsgroup aimed at people who agree with you. This applies to
    >> all "Linux bashers" who hang out in newsgroups for Linux users and
    >> advocates.

    > Personally I use both linux and windows for different reasons - I can
    > see both sides of the argument and use each on its merits. I think these
    > black and white sell-your-soul kinda guys are weird. And I've yet to
    > meet a linux advocate in here that gets vociferous with me for using
    > both. Its only the winloons that have done that so far in my experience.

    I'll admit, I have a laptop with Windows on it. But that's merely
    because it's the machine I use in college and require absolutely
    everything on it to be compatible with their software.

    That said, it is a dual boot so I can use Linux on it when I want too,
    as well.

  19. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    Hadron wrote:
    > "Phil Da Lick!" writes:
    >
    >> Ben wrote:

    >>> Yeah... XD
    >>>
    >>> I've said it and I'll say it again. You don't like Linux, go find
    >>> another newsgroup aimed at people who agree with you. This applies
    >>> to all "Linux bashers" who hang out in newsgroups for Linux users
    >>> and advocates.

    >> Personally I use both linux and windows for different reasons - I can
    >> see both sides of the argument and use each on its merits. I think
    >> these black and white sell-your-soul kinda guys are weird. And I've
    >> yet to meet a linux advocate in here that gets vociferous with me for
    >> using both. Its only the winloons that have done that so far in my
    >> experience.

    > That is an out and out lie.

    No, its a fact. You were ambiguous [or directionless] with your response
    so I'll respond to all possibilities:

    I do use windows and linux. Prove otherwise. bbc.co.uk stats don't count.

    The "advocates" [as you refer to them] may have been vociferous with you
    Quack, but then again your MO is well known now so what the hell do you
    expect?

    The loudest vociferous voices in this group for quite a while have been
    yourself and the rest of the dummy brigade.

  20. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    Ben wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >> Ben wrote:

    >>> Yeah... XD
    >>>
    >>> I've said it and I'll say it again. You don't like Linux, go find
    >>> another newsgroup aimed at people who agree with you. This applies to
    >>> all "Linux bashers" who hang out in newsgroups for Linux users and
    >>> advocates.

    >> Personally I use both linux and windows for different reasons - I can
    >> see both sides of the argument and use each on its merits. I think
    >> these black and white sell-your-soul kinda guys are weird. And I've
    >> yet to meet a linux advocate in here that gets vociferous with me for
    >> using both. Its only the winloons that have done that so far in my
    >> experience.

    > I'll admit, I have a laptop with Windows on it. But that's merely
    > because it's the machine I use in college and require absolutely
    > everything on it to be compatible with their software.
    >
    > That said, it is a dual boot so I can use Linux on it when I want too,
    > as well.

    No need to apologise dear boy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast