Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters - Linux

This is a discussion on Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters - Linux ; .. > > If you suspect it's Moshe being dirty, just ignore it. Same as any post > which you feel you can't reply to politely. > > Why is the principle "Don't feed the trolls" never exercised around here? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

  1. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    ..

    > If you suspect it's Moshe being dirty, just ignore it. Same as any post
    > which you feel you can't reply to politely.
    >
    > Why is the principle "Don't feed the trolls" never exercised around here?

    I agree that they should be ignored, at least usually.

  2. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    On Jul 18, 2:50 pm, Ben wrote:
    > raylopez99 wrote:
    > > On Jul 18, 1:46 pm, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    > > wrote:

    > >> The Linux advocates are not always super polite, either, but overall
    > >> there's no comparison in civility between the two.

    > > Nessomo are you graduating this year? You missed the spring
    > > graduation. I hope you find a job--english lit, that was a dumb major
    > > to pick. Maybe you can find work around downtown Oakland picking up
    > > litter with the sanitation crews and parolees.

    > > RL

    > Is this Moshe again?

    No, Moshe=flatfish is smarter than Ray.

  3. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    Ben wrote:

    > I've said it and I'll say it again. You don't like Linux, go find
    > another newsgroup aimed at people who agree with you. This applies to
    > all "Linux bashers" who hang out in newsgroups for Linux users and
    > advocates.

    Mind your own business, nanny.

    I personally love putting the beatdown on some of these nincompoops, like
    Spamowitz, who recently displayed the brazen ignorance of a Linux luser and
    labeled some simple-simon piece of OSS (cr)app a "great" application.

    Then there's uber-moron 7, a babbling child trapped in a man's body:
    * "GOOGLE REVENUES NOW ON A PAR WITH MICOSHAFT REVENUE"
    * "Linux now sells 3 million embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    * "Linux is installed 1 million+ times a week."
    * "75% of all new major projects use Linux and open source."

    Then there's Rex "Visionary for the Linux Community" Ballard:
    * Most IT professionals born after 1965 have Linux laptops
    * the price of a Vista desktop crashed from over $2000 to less than $300
    * The MacOS interface is little more than the CDE interface of 1995 with
    some new paint and a really nice wax job.
    * Sun changed my code "a bit" and released it as Java
    * I helped draft the first version of the GPL

    The kicker? 7 and Rex do Windows for a living, then come here at night and
    tell everyone to use Linux/OSS, and tell everyone how evil MS is.

    See, your problem, "Ben", is you just don't have a clue about the cola
    wackjobs.

  4. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    DFS wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >
    >> I've said it and I'll say it again. You don't like Linux, go
    >> find another newsgroup aimed at people who agree with you.
    >> This applies to all "Linux bashers" who hang out in
    >> newsgroups for Linux users and advocates.

    > Mind your own business, nanny.
    >
    > I personally love putting the beatdown on some of these
    > nincompoops, like Spamowitz, [...]

    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

    From the Microsoft Evangelism document used on the Comes court case:

    PDF page 45:

    "During the mopping-up phase, ensure that the enemy technology is
    routed. Use the press, the Internet, etc. to heighten the
    impression that the enemy is desperate, demoralized, defeated,
    deceased."

    > The kicker? 7 and Rex do Windows for a living, then come here
    > at night and tell everyone to use Linux/OSS, and tell everyone
    > how evil MS is.
    >
    > See, your problem, "Ben", is you just don't have a clue about
    > the cola wackjobs.

    PDF page 55:

    "In the Mopping Up phase, Evangelism's goal is to put the final
    nail into the competing technology's coffin, and bury it in the
    burning depths of the earth.

    Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with
    mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter
    Bunny, and OS/2." Just keep rubbing it in, via the press,
    analysts, newsgroups, whatever.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of
    the mythology of the computer industry."

    --
    HPT

  5. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    >> If you suspect it's Moshe being dirty, just ignore it. Same
    >> as any post which you feel you can't reply to politely.
    >>
    >> Why is the principle "Don't feed the trolls" never exercised
    >> around here?

    > I agree that they should be ignored, at least usually.

    For classic trolls, for the most part, "yes".

    Ignore it and it will go away does not work with the evangelist
    Wintrolls. Best thing to do is to follow their own evangelist's
    advice, not their hypocritical examples:

    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

    From the Microsoft Evangelism document used on the Comes court case:

    PDF page 43:

    "All is not Fair"

    "o We are under close scrutiny"
    " - Any unethical acts WILL BE uncovered"
    "o Besides - we're the good guys!"
    "o Simple rule to live by: _Never Lie_"
    " - Tell the truth, and nothing but the truth"
    " - Be selective in which truths you emphasize"
    " - Let the competition fill in the gaps"

    The truth is our ally, use it to greatest advantage to debunk
    their myths.

    PDF page 125:

    "Channel of Information, On-line Forums"

    "Monitor the relevant Usenet groups at all times"
    "Write well"
    "Be exceedingly formal and polite"
    " - It is very easy to give offense"
    " - Always assume that you are wrong; ask others to explain
    it to you"
    " - Developers are impressed by clear, precise, polite
    communication"
    "Don't sound like a prig"

    Best thing is to write well. Even DFS slinks away at a well
    written argument, as the rest of the Wintrolls. Sometimes they
    need it, but if possible, avoid the "tit-for-tat" rants.

    --
    HPT

  6. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    DFS wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >
    >> I've said it and I'll say it again. You don't like Linux, go find
    >> another newsgroup aimed at people who agree with you. This applies to
    >> all "Linux bashers" who hang out in newsgroups for Linux users and
    >> advocates.

    > Mind your own business, nanny.
    >
    > I personally love putting the beatdown on some of these nincompoops, like
    > Spamowitz, who recently displayed the brazen ignorance of a Linux luser and
    > labeled some simple-simon piece of OSS (cr)app a "great" application.
    >

    > Then there's uber-moron 7, a babbling child trapped in a man's body:
    > * "GOOGLE REVENUES NOW ON A PAR WITH MICOSHAFT REVENUE"
    > * "Linux now sells 3 million embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    > * "Linux is installed 1 million+ times a week."
    > * "75% of all new major projects use Linux and open source."
    >

    > Then there's Rex "Visionary for the Linux Community" Ballard:
    > * Most IT professionals born after 1965 have Linux laptops
    > * the price of a Vista desktop crashed from over $2000 to less than $300
    > * The MacOS interface is little more than the CDE interface of 1995 with
    > some new paint and a really nice wax job.
    > * Sun changed my code "a bit" and released it as Java
    > * I helped draft the first version of the GPL
    >

    > The kicker? 7 and Rex do Windows for a living, then come here at night and
    > tell everyone to use Linux/OSS, and tell everyone how evil MS is.
    >
    > See, your problem, "Ben", is you just don't have a clue about the cola
    > wackjobs.

    If you think they're "whackjobs", just don't bother with them.

    It wouldn't be seen as very mature to run up to the schizophrenic hobo
    mumbling to himself and run away, would it? So if you truly percieve
    them as "whackjobs", step back and move on, and show some maturity on
    your own part.

  7. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:54:13 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Ben wrote:
    >
    >> I've said it and I'll say it again. You don't like Linux, go find
    >> another newsgroup aimed at people who agree with you. This applies to
    >> all "Linux bashers" who hang out in newsgroups for Linux users and
    >> advocates.

    > Mind your own business, nanny.
    >
    > I personally love putting the beatdown on some of these nincompoops, like
    > Spamowitz, who recently displayed the brazen ignorance of a Linux luser and
    > labeled some simple-simon piece of OSS (cr)app a "great" application.
    >

    > Then there's uber-moron 7, a babbling child trapped in a man's body:
    > * "GOOGLE REVENUES NOW ON A PAR WITH MICOSHAFT REVENUE"
    > * "Linux now sells 3 million embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    > * "Linux is installed 1 million+ times a week."
    > * "75% of all new major projects use Linux and open source."
    >

    > Then there's Rex "Visionary for the Linux Community" Ballard:
    > * Most IT professionals born after 1965 have Linux laptops
    > * the price of a Vista desktop crashed from over $2000 to less than $300
    > * The MacOS interface is little more than the CDE interface of 1995 with
    > some new paint and a really nice wax job.
    > * Sun changed my code "a bit" and released it as Java
    > * I helped draft the first version of the GPL
    >

    > The kicker? 7 and Rex do Windows for a living, then come here at night and
    > tell everyone to use Linux/OSS, and tell everyone how evil MS is.
    >
    > See, your problem, "Ben", is you just don't have a clue about the cola
    > wackjobs.

    Oh, he does...
    Believe me he does....

    So does "George"......

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    On 2008-07-19, Ben claimed:

    > If you think they're "whackjobs", just don't bother with them.
    >
    > It wouldn't be seen as very mature to run up to the schizophrenic hobo
    > mumbling to himself and run away, would it? So if you truly percieve
    > them as "whackjobs", step back and move on, and show some maturity on
    > your own part.

    DuFuS /is/ the schizophrenic hobo. He's mumbling to himself (and to the
    voices in his head). The mumblings have gotten so loud, though, that
    people are convinced he's talking to /them/ instead.

    If everybody just ignored him, as they should, he'd eventually move on
    down the street and mumble to a lamp post or something that he'd
    perceive was holding a conversation with him.

    --
    It's a shame Linux has such difficulty running some of the more popular
    Windows applications: Nimda, CodeRed, Klez, ILOVEYOU, WPA, Swen,

  9. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    ____/ High Plains Thumper on Saturday 19 July 2008 03:35 : \____

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >>> If you suspect it's Moshe being dirty, just ignore it. Same
    >>> as any post which you feel you can't reply to politely.
    >>>
    >>> Why is the principle "Don't feed the trolls" never exercised
    >>> around here?

    >> I agree that they should be ignored, at least usually.

    > For classic trolls, for the most part, "yes".
    >
    > Ignore it and it will go away does not work with the evangelist
    > Wintrolls. Best thing to do is to follow their own evangelist's
    > advice, not their hypocritical examples:
    >
    > http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf
    >
    > From the Microsoft Evangelism document used on the Comes court case:
    >
    > PDF page 43:
    >
    > "All is not Fair"
    >
    > "o We are under close scrutiny"
    > " - Any unethical acts WILL BE uncovered"
    > "o Besides - we're the good guys!"
    > "o Simple rule to live by: _Never Lie_"
    > " - Tell the truth, and nothing but the truth"
    > " - Be selective in which truths you emphasize"
    > " - Let the competition fill in the gaps"
    >
    > The truth is our ally, use it to greatest advantage to debunk
    > their myths.
    >
    > PDF page 125:
    >
    > "Channel of Information, On-line Forums"
    >
    > "Monitor the relevant Usenet groups at all times"
    > "Write well"
    > "Be exceedingly formal and polite"
    > " - It is very easy to give offense"
    > " - Always assume that you are wrong; ask others to explain
    > it to you"
    > " - Developers are impressed by clear, precise, polite
    > communication"
    > "Don't sound like a prig"

    I've never seen this one before. Another smoking gun.

    > Best thing is to write well. Even DFS slinks away at a well
    > written argument, as the rest of the Wintrolls. Sometimes they
    > need it, but if possible, avoid the "tit-for-tat" rants.

    Well, another Microsoft employee has just been sentenced to time in jail,
    showing the nature of the company. I'll post about it in a moment.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Apache: commercial software's days are numbered

  10. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:53:05 -0700, raylopez99 quoth:

    >> The trolling *does* generate lively discussion. Sometimes useful
    >> information is gleaned from the patient way that helpful posters,
    >> unaware that they are being trolled, genuinely attempt to help the
    >> troller.

    > Well, that contradicts your point about trolling being bad, right?

    similarly: disease leads to enhanced scientific knowledge, thus disease is
    good.

    Felmon

    On Jul 19, 12:17*am, Felmon wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:53:05 -0700, raylopez99 quoth:
    >

    > > Well, that contradicts your point about trolling being bad, right?

    > similarly: disease leads to enhanced scientific knowledge, thus disease is
    > good.

    Yes, disease is good. If you grow up in a sterile environment you die
    young. This is well known in biology.

    "That which does not kill me makes me stronger" -- Don Johnson,
    quoting Nietzsche.

    RL

  12. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper on Saturday :
    >
    >> Ignore it and it will go away does not work with the
    >> evangelist Wintrolls. Best thing to do is to follow their
    >> own evangelist's advice, not their hypocritical examples:
    >>
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf
    >>
    >> From the Microsoft Evangelism document used on the Comes
    >> court case:
    >>
    >> PDF page 43: [...]
    >>
    >> "o Simple rule to live by: _Never Lie_"
    >> " - Tell the truth, and nothing but the truth"
    >> " - Be selective in which truths you emphasize" [...]
    >>
    >> The truth is our ally, use it to greatest advantage to
    >> debunk their myths.
    >>
    >> PDF page 125:
    >>
    >> "Channel of Information, On-line Forums"
    >>
    >> "Monitor the relevant Usenet groups at all times"
    >> "Write well"
    >> "Be exceedingly formal and polite"
    >> " - It is very easy to give offense"
    >> " - Always assume that you are wrong; ask others to explain
    >> it to you"
    >> " - Developers are impressed by clear, precise, polite
    >> communication"
    >> "Don't sound like a prig"

    > I've never seen this one before. Another smoking gun.
    >
    >> Best thing is to write well. Even DFS slinks away at a well
    >> written argument, as the rest of the Wintrolls. Sometimes
    >> they need it, but if possible, avoid the "tit-for-tat"
    >> rants.

    > Well, another Microsoft employee has just been sentenced to
    > time in jail, showing the nature of the company. I'll post
    > about it in a moment.

    I will be interested to hear about it. I have been following the
    comment spam Moshe (Flatfish) has been spewing. He is following
    the party line to a T. Everything he posts is to disrupt
    communications in COLA and anti-competitively denigrate Linux and
    FOSS. Hadron and DFS follow similar suit.

    It is interesting how their posts follow Microsoft Evangelism,
    very patterned.

    --
    HPT

  13. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper on Saturday :
    >>
    >>> Ignore it and it will go away does not work with the
    >>> evangelist Wintrolls. Best thing to do is to follow their
    >>> own evangelist's advice, not their hypocritical examples:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf
    >>>
    >>> From the Microsoft Evangelism document used on the Comes
    >>> court case:
    >>>
    >>> PDF page 43: [...]
    >>>
    >>> "o Simple rule to live by: _Never Lie_"
    >>> " - Tell the truth, and nothing but the truth"
    >>> " - Be selective in which truths you emphasize" [...]
    >>>
    >>> The truth is our ally, use it to greatest advantage to
    >>> debunk their myths.
    >>>
    >>> PDF page 125:
    >>>
    >>> "Channel of Information, On-line Forums"
    >>>
    >>> "Monitor the relevant Usenet groups at all times"
    >>> "Write well"
    >>> "Be exceedingly formal and polite"
    >>> " - It is very easy to give offense"
    >>> " - Always assume that you are wrong; ask others to explain
    >>> it to you"
    >>> " - Developers are impressed by clear, precise, polite communication"
    >>> "Don't sound like a prig"

    >> I've never seen this one before. Another smoking gun.
    >>
    >>> Best thing is to write well. Even DFS slinks away at a well
    >>> written argument, as the rest of the Wintrolls. Sometimes
    >>> they need it, but if possible, avoid the "tit-for-tat"
    >>> rants.

    >> Well, another Microsoft employee has just been sentenced to
    >> time in jail, showing the nature of the company. I'll post
    >> about it in a moment.

    > I will be interested to hear about it. I have been following the
    > comment spam Moshe (Flatfish) has been spewing. He is following the
    > party line to a T. Everything he posts is to disrupt communications in
    > COLA and anti-competitively denigrate Linux and FOSS. Hadron and DFS
    > follow similar suit.
    >
    > It is interesting how their posts follow Microsoft Evangelism, very
    > patterned.

    Yeah, funny that. I think most people can read between the lines when
    those bozos start carping.

  14. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    On 2008-07-18, Ben wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>> Well, as a chess player, thinking one more move ahead, I wonder--does
    >>> that mean we Linux bashers are *pro-Linux*? By looking so stupid, a

    >> You admit to being a linux basher in a linux advocacy newsgroup. There
    >> goes any credibility you had left.

    > Yeah... XD
    >
    > I've said it and I'll say it again. You don't like Linux, go find
    > another newsgroup aimed at people who agree with you. This applies to
    > all "Linux bashers" who hang out in newsgroups for Linux users and
    > advocates.

    No Ben, this newsgroup was created specifically to attract those trolls
    and limit their damage in other technical and help groups.

    If _you_ think differently then maybe it is _you_ who is in the wrong
    place.

    I visit this place for my own amusement. Linux doesn't need advocacy. If
    you need Linux then you'll learn it and use it.

    To the rest of usenet "linux advocacy" is a signal for the trolls to get
    their fishing poles.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  15. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Yes, disease is good. If you grow up in a sterile environment
    > you die young. This is well known in biology.
    >
    > "That which does not kill me makes me stronger" -- Don
    > Johnson, quoting Nietzsche.

    Yes, stupidity is hard to kill.

    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and
    I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

    --
    HPT

  16. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    Felmon wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:53:05 -0700, raylopez99 quoth:
    >
    >>> The trolling *does* generate lively discussion. Sometimes useful
    >>> information is gleaned from the patient way that helpful posters,
    >>> unaware that they are being trolled, genuinely attempt to help the
    >>> troller.

    >> Well, that contradicts your point about trolling being bad, right?

    > similarly: disease leads to enhanced scientific knowledge, thus disease is
    > good.
    >
    > Felmon

    That works when you assume the trolls aren't inherently a form of
    disease to begin with, at least.

  17. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    Ben writes:

    > Felmon wrote:
    >> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:53:05 -0700, raylopez99 quoth:

    >>> Well, that contradicts your point about trolling being bad, right?

    >> similarly: disease leads to enhanced scientific knowledge, thus disease is
    >> good.
    >>
    >> Felmon

    > That works when you assume the trolls aren't inherently a form of
    > disease to begin with, at least.

    Yes. It's all becoming clearer now. For someone who has just started
    posting, you sure have a lot to say (and in a certain style) about "the
    trolls".

  18. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 04:53:03 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper on Saturday :
    >>
    >>> Ignore it and it will go away does not work with the evangelist
    >>> Wintrolls. Best thing to do is to follow their own evangelist's
    >>> advice, not their hypocritical examples:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf
    >>>
    >>> From the Microsoft Evangelism document used on the Comes court case:
    >>>
    >>> PDF page 43: [...]
    >>>
    >>> "o Simple rule to live by: _Never Lie_" " - Tell the truth, and
    >>> nothing but the truth" " - Be selective in which truths you emphasize"
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> The truth is our ally, use it to greatest advantage to debunk their
    >>> myths.
    >>>
    >>> PDF page 125:
    >>>
    >>> "Channel of Information, On-line Forums"
    >>>
    >>> "Monitor the relevant Usenet groups at all times" "Write well"
    >>> "Be exceedingly formal and polite"
    >>> " - It is very easy to give offense" " - Always assume that you are
    >>> wrong; ask others to explain
    >>> it to you"
    >>> " - Developers are impressed by clear, precise, polite communication"
    >>> "Don't sound like a prig"

    >> I've never seen this one before. Another smoking gun.
    >>
    >>> Best thing is to write well. Even DFS slinks away at a well written
    >>> argument, as the rest of the Wintrolls. Sometimes they need it, but if
    >>> possible, avoid the "tit-for-tat" rants.

    >> Well, another Microsoft employee has just been sentenced to time in
    >> jail, showing the nature of the company. I'll post about it in a moment.

    > I will be interested to hear about it. I have been following the comment
    > spam Moshe (Flatfish) has been spewing. He is following the party line to
    > a T. Everything he posts is to disrupt communications in COLA and
    > anti-competitively denigrate Linux and FOSS. Hadron and DFS follow
    > similar suit.

    And they accuse other people of "me too".

    > It is interesting how their posts follow Microsoft Evangelism, very
    > patterned.

    But not entirely surprising.

    --
    Is a M$ "Certificate of Authenticity"
    for Vista, a junk bond?

  19. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 06:42:38 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > You know, one person in Groklaw who is by all means trustworthy said that he
    > backed off of OS/2 advocacy after the Microsoft Munchkins (well documented)
    > issued death threats to him.

    Yea sure Roy Schestowitz...

    More of your ranting and raving....

    Where is your documentation for this other than another Loon checking
    inside the lid of the loo for listening devices.

    You're an idiot Roy Schestowitz if you actually believe these paranoid
    freaks, and I don't doubt for a second that you believe every word they
    utter.

    You cracked pots are hysterical and Roy Schestowitz you are the *queen* of
    the cracked pots.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: Lurker surfaces, annoyed at some idiot posters

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:09:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Ben writes:
    >
    >> Felmon wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:53:05 -0700, raylopez99 quoth:

    >>> similarly: disease leads to enhanced scientific knowledge, thus disease is
    >>> good.
    >>>
    >>> Felmon

    >> That works when you assume the trolls aren't inherently a form of
    >> disease to begin with, at least.

    > Yes. It's all becoming clearer now. For someone who has just started
    > posting, you sure have a lot to say (and in a certain style) about "the
    > trolls".

    Amazing how quickly these one shot Sammy's learn isn't it?
    Hahahha!