[News] [Rival] Microsoft Lost ~$7 billion on XBox, Disasters Everywhere - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Lost ~$7 billion on XBox, Disasters Everywhere - Linux ; "7" schreef in bericht news:yO9gk.29411$E41.16977@text.news.virginmedia.c om... > The Ghost In The Machine wrote: > >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7 >> >> wrote >> on Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:48:55 GMT >> : >>> The Ghost In The Machine wrote: >>> >>>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 43 of 43

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Profit ~$17 Billion last year. Will increase 15% to $19 Billion this year

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:yO9gk.29411$E41.16977@text.news.virginmedia.c om...
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:48:55 GMT
    >> :

    >>> Keeping up to date is hard work?
    >>> Google is your friend.
    >>> Look up last years total market and how Linux took
    >>> the lion's share of it.

    >> Total market share of *what*?
    >>
    >> Desktops? Notebooks? Mobiles? Microwave ovens? Pet rocks?
    >> :-)

    > Keep going - you will eventually hit it!
    > Or read the first few lines of the post which states embedded Linux!

    >>> Linux isn't just about Desktops.
    >>> Embedded Linux sells 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY
    >>> alone.

    >> I'd like more specifics as to where you find this figure.

    > Google for embedded Linux market share.

    Yes, thanks, I did:
    "The myth of the embedded Linux tools market"
    http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20040112S0043

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Profit ~$17 Billion last year. Will increase 15% to $19 Billion this year

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    >Snit wrote:
    >> "Hadron" stated in post

    Troll-feeding limit exceeded.

    *plonk*

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Profit ~$17 Billion last year. Will increase 15% to $19 Billion this year

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Phil Da Lick!

    wrote
    on Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:57:05 +0100
    :
    > Snit wrote:
    >> "Phil Da Lick!" stated in post
    >> RvydnTtWwJSbvhzVnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@posted.plusnet on 7/18/08 4:11 PM:

    >>> Are there any stats anywhere that look at 100% of web usage and 100% of
    >>> pcs not online? I'd love to see them.
    >>>

    >> Do you understand the concept of using sample sets?

    > Obviously better than you do. Sample sets are inaccurate by definition.
    > The wider the sample set the more towards accurate it may get, but only
    > retards or agenda pushers would call one website a wide sample.

    There's also the issue that the sample sets are biased by
    definition (most unintentionally, I would think, unless
    someone's being deliberately obtuse or worse); an obvious
    example would be an ActiveX game site, if such exist.
    (Shockwave sites *do* exist and do not work on Linux
    AFAIK, unless someone's hacked up a Director plugin lately.
    The predominance of casual games appear to be, fortunately,
    Flash, with a sprinkling of Java applets. MSDN library
    lookups can be done by Linux aficionados, if they're
    using something like xmingw32 or WinE. Certainly I do
    on occasion. Certain websites might filter out
    non-IE User-Agent: headers, though I think those are
    getting increasingly rare.)

    Another obvious example, which is outside the scope of
    this newsgroup, are telephone samples. Seems that most
    youth aren't getting land lines here in the US, and that
    may bias things in the Republican Party's favor. It's a
    risk when interpreting certain poll results.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Woman? What woman?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3