Does anyone know of a tool that allows setting Linux console framebuffer video
modelines just like can be done with X Windows? I am considering a shift over
to doing framebuffer instead of legacy text, but all of the "standard" VESA
modes are ... well I shouldn't type words like I'm thinking in a public space.

I looked at X Windows itself to see if it had a mode to simply set video mode
and exit back out, but no such luck. DirectFB doesn't seem to have this that
I can find in its docs.

Also, is it possible for Linux to start up in a text video mode and switch over
to a framebuffer video mode at some point during init processes?