Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Compares Kids to Criminals in Ships - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Compares Kids to Criminals in Ships - Linux ; Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > Street-savvy Microsoft tries to pop the pimply face of piracy > > ,----[ Quote ] > | This isn't Redmond's first assault on young pirates. In February > | ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Compares Kids to Criminals in Ships

    > Street-savvy Microsoft tries to pop the pimply face of piracy
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | This isn't Redmond's first assault on young pirates. In February
    > | this year it tried to push its own intellectual property curriculum
    > | in schools with the launch of a clunky social networking style
    > | site, thinly-veiled as a fun forum for teens to get their cultural
    > | kicks.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...young_pirates/

    And here it is, in all it's, ahem, "glory":

    http://www.mybytes.com

    As El Reg puts it; "[mybytes] looks and feels like a middle-aged man
    hopelessly trying to get down with the kids".

    Euch! Puppy's anyone?

    The ringtones "Top Downloads" section is a sea of zeros.

    I think I'll join up ... just to post links to tribeofnoise.com.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    03:22:07 up 208 days, 23:57, 3 users, load average: 0.24, 0.43, 0.50

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Compares Kids to Criminals in Ships

    Heh. Just saw the subject line. :-P

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 03:22:25 +0100
    <20n2l5-esn.ln1@sky.matrix>:

    >> Street-savvy Microsoft tries to pop the pimply face of piracy
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | This isn't Redmond's first assault on young pirates. In February
    >> | this year it tried to push its own intellectual property curriculum
    >> | in schools with the launch of a clunky social networking style
    >> | site, thinly-veiled as a fun forum for teens to get their cultural
    >> | kicks.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...young_pirates/

    > And here it is, in all it's, ahem, "glory":
    >
    > http://www.mybytes.com
    >
    > As El Reg puts it; "[mybytes] looks and feels like a middle-aged man
    > hopelessly trying to get down with the kids".
    >
    > Euch! Puppy's anyone?
    >
    > The ringtones "Top Downloads" section is a sea of zeros.
    >
    > I think I'll join up ... just to post links to tribeofnoise.com.

    Blecch. mybytes.com's music mixer is a piece of junk,
    from a GUI perspective. To its credit, it *does*
    generate noise, but given the loop browser's rather
    stupid notion of enumerating "drums1" through "drums26"
    instead of categorizing them, nor are they guaranteed to
    be in harmony with one another, plus the restriction of
    5 tracks, I can't say this is good, and Instant Music
    (on the Amiga, though there were probably variants for
    Mac and Windows as well) at least could be guaranteed to
    generate somewhat harmonious music (mostly because its
    songs came preprogrammed with chords).

    Surprisingly, the HTML is very readable.

    The "free" content is interspersed among the "restricted"
    content in the Showcase (though one can sort by table
    column). The video works but starts up without any
    prompting, and the entire site decides it wants to
    make itself animated for no particularly good reason
    (check out Polls for a particularly bad instance of
    busybusybusy, or hover over the "On the Street Interviews"
    microphone to see it "sparkle" in a rather ugly fashion).
    An implementation bug showed a blank gray subarea on the
    Home page; refreshing didn't fix it. The Story navigator
    verges on the ridiculous; can one imagine stepping through
    hundreds of stories in random order using only ?

    The whole color scheme reminds me of Nickelodeon
    (www.nick.com) though Nickeloden actually does it better,
    if far far busier, from a color scheme standpoint.
    (There's some bugs in Nick's pages, though.)

    For its part TribeOfNoise has a somewhat cruder general
    presentation scheme which reminds me of portlets, but
    also doesn't try quite as hard to have strange mixers
    as part of its free area. The video players both work
    reasonably well, though I for one am puzzled as to why
    the differing GUIS between them. The navigation could
    use a clearer "Home" link (turns out the image at the
    very far right is that "Home" link, but it's not obvious
    that it's an actual link until someone hovers over it --
    I suppose it's logical enough but it hides in plain sight).
    Attempting to view mp3s kicks one to a login request page,
    an annoyance; this could have been mentioned somewhere.
    The shop's underlinks are not consistent stylistically
    with the main links at the very bottom, a minor blemish.

    There is also a blank area in the homepage but unlike
    MyBytes, it's either unavoidable (unless they wanted
    another portlet) or the same color, so from a visual
    standpoint it's not a problem.

    The HTML is also very readable.

    I like the coloration in general, though some might think
    it a bit drab; cream-on-gray text, however, is very readable.

    And lastly, the girl on top is rather cute. ;-) For what
    it's worth.

    All in all, TribeOfNoise has minor flaws but works from
    a style perspective; MyBytes.com is flawed and ugly.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Compares Kids to Criminals in Ships

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Street-savvy Microsoft tries to pop the pimply face of piracy
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | This isn't Redmond's first assault on young pirates. In February
    >> | this year it tried to push its own intellectual property curriculum
    >> | in schools with the launch of a clunky social networking style
    >> | site, thinly-veiled as a fun forum for teens to get their cultural
    >> | kicks.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...young_pirates/

    "Sadly, several months on and Mybytes.com appears unlikely to compete
    with the likes of BitTorrent tracker site Pirate Bay, which earlier
    this year claimed it had passed a significant milestone of ten
    million peers and one million torrents.

    In contrast, Microsoft's featured ringtone downloads are consistently
    scoring big fat zeros. "

    > And here it is, in all it's, ahem, "glory":
    >
    > http://www.mybytes.com

    Look at the "SHOWCASE".

    By far the majority of uploads have "RIGHTS" marked as "Restricted".

    > As El Reg puts it; "[mybytes] looks and feels like a middle-aged man
    > hopelessly trying to get down with the kids".
    >
    > Euch! Puppy's anyone?
    >
    > The ringtones "Top Downloads" section is a sea of zeros.

    I know my phone lets me upload an MP3 as a ringtone over Bluetooth, so
    why would I not just use my own library of sounds?

    --
    BARBARA STANWYCK makes me nervous!!

+ Reply to Thread