[News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly - Linux

  1. [News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly

    Firefox 3.1 alpha 1 code freeze is next Monday

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Firefox 3 has only recently shipped but the first public milestone for its
    | successor is fast approaching. The Mozilla team is expecting that the code
    | freeeze for alpha 1 of Firefox 3.1, code named Shiretoko, will be next Monday
    | and that alpha 1 be available for early adopter testing on July 25.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2656

    about:mozilla - Firefox marketing, Guinness record, Colbert bump, Fx3 features,
    community calendar, and more…

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In this issue…
    |
    | * Firefox marketing and community
    | * Mozilla’s Guinness World Record certificate
    | * Colbert Bump - Firefox 3 proves its existence
    | * Firefox 3 features you may not know
    | * Video and Audio element patch has landed
    | * Mozilla Community Calendar
    | * Party in Taiwan - July 19
    `----

    http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews...ndar-and-more/

    Recent:

    Mozilla pitches Firefox 3.1 alpha for July release

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Just a week after Mozilla shipped Firefox 3.0, the open-source developer has
    | proposed ship dates for the next version that, if approved, would produce an
    | alpha release next month and a final no later than early 2009.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

    Firefox 3.1 (Shiretoko) planned features draft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A very early draft of planned features reveals that as expected, this release
    | will be mainly about landing stuff that didn’t make it on time for the
    | Firefox 3, along with the usual performance, stability and security bug
    | fixes.
    |
    | Visual tab switching and tab searching/filtering were both tried for Firefox
    | 3, abandoned for other more critical features, and are being considered for
    | 3.1. Ctrl+Tab, a extension developed by Dao Gottwald implements both of them
    | displaying a thumbnail of the opened tabs when pressing Ctrl + Tab to switch
    | tabs.
    `----

    http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/06/f...eatures-draft/

    Mozilla targets Firefox 3.1 release for later this year

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Although Mozilla hasn't even released the final version of Firefox 3.0, its
    | developers are already hammering out plans for the next edition, which may
    | come as soon as late 2008, according to posts written by company executives.
    `----

    Developers: Firefox 3.1 Update Should Be "Easy"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The release of Firefox 3.0 has been a resounding success, but for some the
    | upgrade path has been less than painless. The latest version of the open
    | source browser differed enough from previous versions that many add-ons had
    | to be substantially rewritten before they would work with the new release.
    | And just when the dust appeared to be clearing, Firefox 3.1 is on the
    | horizon.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...d_be_easy.html
    http://tinyurl.com/6k3mn8

  2. Re: [News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Firefox 3.1 alpha 1 code freeze is next Monday
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Firefox 3 has only recently shipped but the first public milestone for
    > its
    > | successor is fast approaching. The Mozilla team is expecting that the
    > code
    > | freeeze for alpha 1 of Firefox 3.1, code named Shiretoko, will be next
    > Monday
    > | and that alpha 1 be available for early adopter testing on July 25.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2656

    Does this mean that Firefox is a "work in progress" too?

    -ss

> [...]
    > | developers are already hammering out plans for the next edition, which
    > may
    > | come as soon as late 2008, according to posts written by company
    > executives.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...550569&rid=-50
    >

    > Developers: Firefox 3.1 Update Should Be "Easy"
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The release of Firefox 3.0 has been a resounding success, but for some
    > the
    > | upgrade path has been less than painless. The latest version of the open
    > | source browser differed enough from previous versions that many add-ons
    > had
    > | to be substantially rewritten before they would work with the new
    > release.
    > | And just when the dust appeared to be clearing, Firefox 3.1 is on the

  3. Re: [News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly

  4. Re: [News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly

    > ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 16 July 2008 16:33 : \____
    >
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Firefox 3.1 alpha 1 code freeze is next Monday
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> its
    >>> code
    >>> Monday
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2656

    >> Does this mean that Firefox is a "work in progress" too?

    > No, that would be Vista (RTM, SP1, not alpha).
    >
    > Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'

    Roy,

    I know about the Vista "work in progress" comment and that's why I made the
    joke. But all joking aside, what's the difference between Vista being a
    "work in progress" where subsequent updates like SP1 are released and
    something like Firefox or Ubuntu which are also being developed, getting
    bugs fixed, features and security improved. Ubuntu 8.04 shipped but it
    obviously wasn't "100% ready" because just a few weeks later a bunch of
    updates were released for it. Firefox 3.0 shipped and it also wasn't "100%
    ready" because just a few weeks later there's already another "alpha" out
    for it.

    Don't get me wrong Roy, I'm not trying to stir up an argument here. I'm
    simply looking for consistency on why you view it as being a negative if one
    product is still be developed but when other products follow the exact same
    development model then it's viewed as being a "good thing"(tm).

    - ss

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP,
    > company
    > | CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an annual
    > | Seattle event on Thursday.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._progress.html
    >
    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | "All your archives are (sic) belong to
    > Google"
    > http://Schestowitz.com | GNU is Not UNIX | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > http://iuron.com - proposing a non-profit search engine

  5. Re: [News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly

    ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 16 July 2008 21:17 : \____

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 16 July 2008 16:33 : \____
    >>
    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> Does this mean that Firefox is a "work in progress" too?

    >> No, that would be Vista (RTM, SP1, not alpha).
    >>
    >> Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'

    > Roy,
    >
    > I know about the Vista "work in progress" comment and that's why I made the
    > joke. But all joking aside, what's the difference between Vista being a
    > "work in progress" where subsequent updates like SP1 are released and
    > something like Firefox or Ubuntu which are also being developed, getting
    > bugs fixed, features and security improved. Ubuntu 8.04 shipped but it
    > obviously wasn't "100% ready" because just a few weeks later a bunch of
    > updates were released for it. Firefox 3.0 shipped and it also wasn't "100%
    > ready" because just a few weeks later there's already another "alpha" out
    > for it.

    No, no, this is separate. 8.04.1 is not like 3.1. Firefox had its code frozen
    at 3.0 a long time ago (like 6 months) and Mozilla ironed things out while
    other devs merged new features into 3.1.

    > Don't get me wrong Roy, I'm not trying to stir up an argument here. I'm
    > simply looking for consistency on why you view it as being a negative if one
    > product is still be developed but when other products follow the exact same
    > development model then it's viewed as being a "good thing"(tm).

    Ubuntu 8.04 was inappropriate for an LTS assuming people do not obtain 8.04.1,
    which also has a final FF3.

    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP,
    >> company
    >> | CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an annual
    >> | Seattle event on Thursday.
    >> `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._progress.html

    >> - --
    >> ~~ Best of wishes
    >>
    >> Roy S. Schestowitz | "All your archives are (sic) belong to
    >> Google"
    >> http://Schestowitz.com | GNU is Not UNIX | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    >> http://iuron.com - proposing a non-profit search engine

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
    Cpu(s): 20.3%us, 3.7%sy, 0.0%ni, 70.6%id, 5.1%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.4%si, 0.0%st

  6. Re: [News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly

    > ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 16 July 2008 21:17 : \____

    >> I know about the Vista "work in progress" comment and that's why I
    >> made the joke. But all joking aside, what's the difference between
    >> Vista being a "work in progress"

    About $300, according to Amazon.

    When one /pays/ for the privilege of supposedly "professional" software,
    that imposes license restrictions and enforces validation, and even
    harshly limits what one may do with one's own computer, the very least
    one should be entitled to is software that actually *works*.

    Free Software OTOH has a different "price", which is participation.

    Unless Microsoft wants to start giving Vista away for free, *and*
    allowing people access to the source so they can fix that which
    Microsoft apparently cannot, then they (and you) should be prepared to
    accept criticism for /their/ incompetence.

    Of course they would never do such a thing, for fear of compromising
    their precious (yet completely broken) "Intellectual Property". They'd
    clearly rather have broken software than user participation.

    Here's a perfect example of what happens when users /try/ to participate
    to fix proprietary vendors' broken software:

    My attention was recently drawn to one particularly poignant example of
    such oppression, on the Creative Labs message boards. A volunteer, who
    goes by the pseudonym of daniel_k, had succeeded in accomplishing
    something that Creative Labs (with all their resources) apparently could
    not - fully functional X-Fi drivers for Windows Vista. This magnificent
    achievement was subsequently rewarded with a notification to cease and
    desist, accompanied by the veiled threat of litigation.
    http://slated.org/intellectual_insanity

    It turns out that Creative Labs were deliberately withholding drivers in
    order to force customers to upgrade to newer hardware, which is why they
    were in a panic about Daniel_K's voluntary contributions.

    This also underscores another important difference between proprietary
    and Free software vendors ... motive. Microsoft's (and Creative's)
    motives are profit and only profit, even if that means unethically
    manipulating customers. In the case of Vista, here is a product that is
    clearly not "fit for purpose", and yet they marketed it as such, indeed
    extolling its virtues as some kind of "wonder product" (Show Us Your
    WOW!). The reality turned out to be somewhat different, however.

    Mozilla OTOH provide Firefox free of charge, and they are therefore
    /not/ motivated purely by profit. They are free to release, or not, as
    and when they see fit. They can release a new "product" that may have
    bleeding-edge features, without fear of reprisals, since they have no
    "customers" as such ... just a user base that is willing to participate
    in the process of making the software better, specifically to better
    suit the needs of those users.

    So comparing a commercial "work in progress" to the phenomenon of Free
    Software development is rather disingenuous, since the two are not
    comparable at all, in fact they are completely antithetical.

    Did I really need to spell that out for you, or were you just trolling
    as usual?

    > No [...]

    Don't waste your time with this fsckwit.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    03:09:32 up 208 days, 23:45, 3 users, load average: 0.46, 0.43, 0.49

  7. Re: [News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly

  8. Re: [News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly

    Subway steel wrote:
    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Firefox 3.1 alpha 1 code freeze is next Monday
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Firefox 3 has only recently shipped but the first public milestone for
    >> its
    >> | successor is fast approaching. The Mozilla team is expecting that the
    >> code
    >> | freeeze for alpha 1 of Firefox 3.1, code named Shiretoko, will be next
    >> Monday
    >> | and that alpha 1 be available for early adopter testing on July 25.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2656

    > Does this mean that Firefox is a "work in progress" too?

    Yes. Just like any software.

  9. Re: [News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    >> Does this mean that Firefox is a "work in progress" too?

    >Yes. Just like any software.

    Well, IE essentially stopped progressing for a few years, there.

    Until, of course, a viable competitor appeared, forcing Microsloth to
    act...

  10. Re: [News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly

    chrisv wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >>> Does this mean that Firefox is a "work in progress" too?

    >> Yes. Just like any software.

    > Well, IE essentially stopped progressing for a few years, there.
    >
    > Until, of course, a viable competitor appeared, forcing Microsloth to
    > act...

    How dare they? Mickeyborg should have been allowed to patent the
    internet browser. We don't need choice or competition in the Brave New
    World [tm] (c) (patent pending) - by reading this post you agree to
    whatever terms we decide to enforce.

  11. Re: [News] Firefox 3.1 Alpha Out Shortly

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:19:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 16 July 2008 21:17 : \____
    >

    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 16 July 2008 16:33 : \____

    >>> No, that would be Vista (RTM, SP1, not alpha).
    >>>
    >>> Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'

    >> Roy,
    >>
    >> I know about the Vista "work in progress" comment and that's why I made the
    >> joke. But all joking aside, what's the difference between Vista being a
    >> "work in progress" where subsequent updates like SP1 are released and
    >> something like Firefox or Ubuntu which are also being developed, getting
    >> bugs fixed, features and security improved. Ubuntu 8.04 shipped but it
    >> obviously wasn't "100% ready" because just a few weeks later a bunch of
    >> updates were released for it. Firefox 3.0 shipped and it also wasn't "100%
    >> ready" because just a few weeks later there's already another "alpha" out
    >> for it.

    > No, no, this is separate. 8.04.1 is not like 3.1. Firefox had its code frozen
    > at 3.0 a long time ago (like 6 months) and Mozilla ironed things out while
    > other devs merged new features into 3.1.
    >
    >> Don't get me wrong Roy, I'm not trying to stir up an argument here. I'm
    >> simply looking for consistency on why you view it as being a negative if one
    >> product is still be developed but when other products follow the exact same
    >> development model then it's viewed as being a "good thing"(tm).

    > Ubuntu 8.04 was inappropriate for an LTS assuming people do not obtain 8.04.1,
    > which also has a final FF3.
    >
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> company
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._progress.html
    >>>
    >>> - --
    >>> ~~ Best of wishes
    >>>
    >>> Roy S. Schestowitz | "All your archives are (sic) belong to
    >>> Google"
    >>> http://Schestowitz.com | GNU is Not UNIX | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    >>> http://iuron.com - proposing a non-profit search engine

    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes

    You didn't answer his question you bumbling idiot, Roy Schestowitz...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread