EngLab: A Gift of a Program for Engineers

,----[ Quote ]
| No need to fear *these* Greeks bearing gifts, since EngLab is released under
| the totally safe GNU GPLv2.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...4&entryid=1020

Another wonderful example of science winning through collaboration:

Crowdsourcing the Flu Vaccine

,----[ Quote ]
| "I can't be sure that a more open process would have prevented the epidemic,
| but it's possible, maybe even likely," said Salzberg, who argued his case in
| a commentary published yesterday in Nature. "They took the conservative
| approach, but the flu is always changing."
`----

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...ourcing-t.html

Recent:

The Drug Resurrector

,----[ Quote ]
| The Johns Hopkins Clinical Compound Screening Initiative is an open-source
| effort to collect and index more than 10,000 known medications and determine
| which of them are also effective against hundreds of low-profile, Third World
| killers, such as Chagas disease, cholera and leprosy. The library will
| function something like a Wikipedia of drug discovery, where scientists
| around the world can contribute to the database and even provide samples or
| screen drugs themselves, thereby saving millions of dollars on R&D.
`----

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...ug-resurrector

Recent:

Open-source model for drug discovery?

,----[ Quote ]
| Significant public funding along with the ability for private enterprise to
| benefit from the open source approach will result in a strong public-private
| partnership and ensure success of the open source approach. *
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2651121.cms

Related:

Open source drug discovery

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea, taking off from successful open source models such as the human
| genome sequencing initiative, is very simple. All the relevant data and
| accumulated intelligence on a particular disease, tuberculosis to begin with,
| would be hosted online. * *
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2639296.cms

'Open source' urged for TB drug design effort

,----[ Quote ]
| One of India's top genetics researchers has called for a global,
| collaborative effort to design a new tuberculosis (TB) drug using an 'open
| source' approach. *
`----

http://www.scidev.net/news/index.cfm...082&language=1

Open Source Pharmaceuticals - New Business Model

,----[ Quote ]
| Software is not the only field affected by open source; many fields of study
| and social and political views have been affected by the growth of the
| concept of open source. Advocates in one field will often support the
| expansion of open source in other fields, including Linus Torvalds who is
| quoted as saying, "the future is open source everything." * *
`----

http://www.farmavita.net/content/view/336/

Open source synthetic biology

,----[ Quote ]
| Not everyone within synthetic biology takes the open-source approach, Andrew
| Hessel, an iGEM consultant who recruits teams from Canadian universities,
| told me, but the driving force behind it is iGEM and MIT (Rettberg works with
| renowned hacker-turned-synthetic biologist Tom Knight). Hessel likened the
| atmosphere to the time when computers were first becoming cheap enough to be
| affordable by anyone who wanted one, and young, bright kids began to play
| around with code. * * *
`----

http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/53822/

Biology Goes Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the world's biggest drug companies are finding that
| their genetic research is worth more to them if they give it away.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/...ml?partner=rss
http://tinyurl.com/2vqssl

Pharmac publishes directly with open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The team used Python, libxml/libxslt and TeX, running on Debian GNU/Linux,
| and the open document standards TeX, XML, MathML, XHTML, and Xlink, says
| Geering. *
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2573630083A579

Red Hat scores Swedish pharmacy contract

| Apoteket, the pharmacy network, will convert to Red Hat Enterprise Linux
| running on Intel hardware, Red Hat said. Financial terms of the deal were not
| disclosed. *
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/070918/1522057.html?.v=1

Open Source Research -- the Power of Us

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source methods have delivered tangible benefits in the computer
| science community. We describe here efforts to extend these principles
| to science generally, and in particular biomedical research. Open
| source research holds great promise for solving complex problems in
| areas where profit-driven research is seen to have failed. We
| illustrate this with a specific problem in organic chemistry that
| we think will be solved substantially faster with an open
| source approach.
`----

http://www.publish.csiro.au/view/jou...d=51&f=CH06095

Our Biotech Future [is Open Source]

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source biology could be a powerful tool, giving us access to
| cheap and abundant solar energy.
`----

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/20370

Open-Source Drug Safety?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.forbes.com/home/sciencesa...h_0522fda.html

Open Source Pharmaceuticals - New Business Model

,----[ Quote ]
| "Open source" as applied to culture defines a culture in which
| intellectual property is made generally available. Participants
| in such a culture are able to improve and modify those products
| and redistribute them back into the community.
`----

http://www.farmavita.net/content/view/336/51/

Thailand fed up with high drug prices - minister

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...c=worldupdates