Asus EEE - 80% of units run Windows. Only 5% of UMPC market is linux. - Linux

This is a discussion on Asus EEE - 80% of units run Windows. Only 5% of UMPC market is linux. - Linux ; http://apcmag.com/linux_not_essentia...ccess_asus.htm Penguin-powered mini notebooks are selling like hotcakes. But will they finally bring Linux into the mainstream? Don't count on it. "The HP 2133s are outselling the Eee PC 20 to 1," Ortega says, "and Linux only accounts for probably ...

  1. Asus EEE - 80% of units run Windows. Only 5% of UMPC market is linux.

    http://apcmag.com/linux_not_essentia...ccess_asus.htm

    Penguin-powered mini notebooks are selling like hotcakes. But will they
    finally bring Linux into the mainstream? Don't count on it.

    "The HP 2133s are outselling the Eee PC 20 to 1," Ortega says, "and Linux
    only accounts for probably 20% of Eee PC sales and less than 5% of overall
    UMPC sales. The fact that there's a $500 notebook out there is a big plus,
    but we find most [buyers] are more than happy to use a license in their
    office to upgrade them to [Windows] XP."

    That the Eee is even selling Linux versions at all is a big coup: previous
    Linux-based UMPCs, from Chinese manufacturer Beijing Peace East Technology,
    were offered by Tegatech but ended up being withdrawn after "we had not one
    phone call on them," he adds.

    Herein lies the vast difference between perception and reality, which seems
    to be rapidly diluting the value proposition of Linux-based mini notebooks.
    ASUS and Acer may have overcome some users' perceptions that Linux is too
    complicated or esoteric for mainstream use, but mainstream demand has caught
    up with the units as customers shy away from Linux once again.

  2. Re: Asus EEE - 80% of units run Windows. Only 5% of UMPC market is linux.

    On 2008-07-14, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://apcmag.com/linux_not_essentia...ccess_asus.htm
    >

    > Penguin-powered mini notebooks are selling like hotcakes. But will they
    > finally bring Linux into the mainstream? Don't count on it.
    >
    > "The HP 2133s are outselling the Eee PC 20 to 1," Ortega says, "and Linux
    > only accounts for probably 20% of Eee PC sales and less than 5% of overall
    > UMPC sales. The fact that there's a $500 notebook out there is a big plus,

    Which is still more than 5x the 1% number that Lemmings like to trott
    out for overall Linux marketshare.

    So Linux becomes known as something you can put in an appliance?
    That's not such a bad thing. Apple has been building much of it's current
    renaissance on just this idea.

    Every little bit helps.

    > but we find most [buyers] are more than happy to use a license in their
    > office to upgrade them to [Windows] XP."

    How exactly does that work once XP starts asking you for license keys.
    I'm rather curious about this since I tried to install XP into a vmware
    image once.

    [deletia]

    --

    Linux: Because I don't want to push pretty buttons. |||
    I want the pretty buttons to push themelves. / | \

  3. Re: Asus EEE - 80% of units run Windows. Only 5% of UMPC market islinux.

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-07-14, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> but we find most [buyers] are more than happy to use a license in their
    >> office to upgrade them to [Windows] XP."

    > How exactly does that work once XP starts asking you for license keys.
    > I'm rather curious about this since I tried to install XP into a vmware
    > image once.
    >
    > [deletia]

    Perhaps they use the AntiWPA hack/tool.

  4. Re: Asus EEE - 80% of units run Windows. Only 5% of UMPC market islinux.

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:15:44 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://apcmag.com/linux_not_essentia...ccess_asus.htm
    >

    > Penguin-powered mini notebooks are selling like hotcakes. But will they
    > finally bring Linux into the mainstream? Don't count on it.
    >
    > "The HP 2133s are outselling the Eee PC 20 to 1," Ortega says, "and
    > Linux only accounts for probably 20% of Eee PC sales and less than 5% of
    > overall UMPC sales. The fact that there's a $500 notebook out there is a
    > big plus, but we find most [buyers] are more than happy to use a license
    > in their office to upgrade them to [Windows] XP."
    >
    > That the Eee is even selling Linux versions at all is a big coup:
    > previous Linux-based UMPCs, from Chinese manufacturer Beijing Peace East
    > Technology, were offered by Tegatech but ended up being withdrawn after
    > "we had not one phone call on them," he adds.
    >
    > Herein lies the vast difference between perception and reality, which
    > seems to be rapidly diluting the value proposition of Linux-based mini
    > notebooks. ASUS and Acer may have overcome some users' perceptions that
    > Linux is too complicated or esoteric for mainstream use, but mainstream
    > demand has caught up with the units as customers shy away from Linux
    > once again.

    So, that measn 20% of Asus EEEs run Linux. As oppused to the .8% that
    "market share' marketshare.hitslink.com says Linux systems have.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Asus EEE - 80% of units run Windows. Only 5% of UMPC market is linux.

    Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:15:44 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://apcmag.com/linux_not_essentia...ccess_asus.htm
    >>

    >> Penguin-powered mini notebooks are selling like hotcakes. But will they
    >> finally bring Linux into the mainstream? Don't count on it.
    >>
    >> "The HP 2133s are outselling the Eee PC 20 to 1," Ortega says, "and
    >> Linux only accounts for probably 20% of Eee PC sales and less than 5% of
    >> overall UMPC sales. The fact that there's a $500 notebook out there is a
    >> big plus, but we find most [buyers] are more than happy to use a license
    >> in their office to upgrade them to [Windows] XP."
    >>
    >> That the Eee is even selling Linux versions at all is a big coup:
    >> previous Linux-based UMPCs, from Chinese manufacturer Beijing Peace East
    >> Technology, were offered by Tegatech but ended up being withdrawn after
    >> "we had not one phone call on them," he adds.
    >>
    >> Herein lies the vast difference between perception and reality, which
    >> seems to be rapidly diluting the value proposition of Linux-based mini
    >> notebooks. ASUS and Acer may have overcome some users' perceptions that
    >> Linux is too complicated or esoteric for mainstream use, but mainstream
    >> demand has caught up with the units as customers shy away from Linux
    >> once again.

    > So, that measn 20% of Asus EEEs run Linux. As oppused to the .8% that
    > "market share' marketshare.hitslink.com says Linux systems have.

    Well, you could try here:-
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...ee_901_famine/

    In that, I find:-
    (Asus UK spokeswoman Helen Ling)
    "Asus produces Linux and XP Eees in equal numbers, she claimed, and will
    continue to do so: the Linux Eees are the better selling models. "We think
    our version of Linux is how we will stand out from our competitors," she
    said"

    "That may explain why there aren't any now: they've been sold, leaving only
    the less popular XP models still available to buy"

    Hmmm.... lets look at that again:-
    "Asus produces Linux and XP Eees in equal numbers she claimed, and will
    continue to do so"
    "That may explain why there aren't any now: they've been sold, leaving only
    the less popular XP models still available to buy"

    Probably the Asus spokesperson for the UK doesn't actually know what's going
    on, and should consult the OP?

    However, I find it difficult to credit suggestions that people are buying the
    Linux version, then over-writing it with a valid Widows XP.
    What has Linux brought the cost of XP down to for these machines? £13 a pop?
    In that article, it is even suggested that the Windows version was at one time
    selling at $50 LESS than the linux version! That must have been one hell of
    an incentive to buy |Linux, over-write with
    Puh-leeeeze!

  6. Re: Asus EEE - 80% of units run Windows. Only 5% of UMPC market is linux.

    Rick writes:

    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:15:44 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://apcmag.com/linux_not_essentia...ccess_asus.htm
    >>

    >> Penguin-powered mini notebooks are selling like hotcakes. But will they
    >> finally bring Linux into the mainstream? Don't count on it.
    >>
    >> "The HP 2133s are outselling the Eee PC 20 to 1," Ortega says, "and
    >> Linux only accounts for probably 20% of Eee PC sales and less than 5% of
    >> overall UMPC sales. The fact that there's a $500 notebook out there is a
    >> big plus, but we find most [buyers] are more than happy to use a license
    >> in their office to upgrade them to [Windows] XP."
    >>
    >> That the Eee is even selling Linux versions at all is a big coup:
    >> previous Linux-based UMPCs, from Chinese manufacturer Beijing Peace East
    >> Technology, were offered by Tegatech but ended up being withdrawn after
    >> "we had not one phone call on them," he adds.
    >>
    >> Herein lies the vast difference between perception and reality, which
    >> seems to be rapidly diluting the value proposition of Linux-based mini
    >> notebooks. ASUS and Acer may have overcome some users' perceptions that
    >> Linux is too complicated or esoteric for mainstream use, but mainstream
    >> demand has caught up with the units as customers shy away from Linux
    >> once again.

    > So, that measn 20% of Asus EEEs run Linux. As oppused to the .8% that
    > "market share' marketshare.hitslink.com says Linux systems have.

    Are you that stupid that you think that means something? 20% of EEEs
    running Linux means next to nothing on the scale of total PC users using
    Linux versus Windows. How many of them do you think they sold for
    goodness sake?

  7. Re: Asus EEE - 80% of units run Windows. Only 5% of UMPC market islinux.

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:15:44 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "The HP 2133s are outselling the Eee PC 20 to 1," Ortega says, "and
    > Linux only accounts for probably 20% of Eee PC sales and less than 5% of
    > overall UMPC sales. The fact that there's a $500 notebook out there is a
    > big plus, but we find most [buyers] are more than happy to use a license
    > in their office to upgrade them to [Windows] XP."

    To my ear, 5% of UMPC sounds good, 20% of a particular product,
    excellent. It's not a question of killing Microsoft per se but of
    increasing the userbase to various tipping points.

    -Thufir

  8. Re: Asus EEE - 80% of units run Windows. Only 5% of UMPC market is linux.

    * bbgruff peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > However, I find it difficult to credit suggestions that people are buying the
    > Linux version, then over-writing it with a valid Widows XP.
    > What has Linux brought the cost of XP down to for these machines? 13 a pop?
    > In that article, it is even suggested that the Windows version was at one time
    > selling at $50 LESS than the linux version! That must have been one hell of
    > an incentive to buy |Linux, over-write with
    > Puh-leeeeze!

    I'm sure Zeke believes it. He's a credulous putz.

    --
    Rascal, am I? Take THAT!
    -- Errol Flynn

  9. Re: Asus EEE - 80% of units run Windows. Only 5% of UMPC marketis linux.

    "Hadron" stated in post
    g5gj08$u4r$1@registered.motzarella.org on 7/14/08 3:12 PM:

    >>> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    >> So, that measn 20% of Asus EEEs run Linux. As oppused to the .8% that
    >> "market share' marketshare.hitslink.com says Linux systems have.

    > Are you that stupid that you think that means something? 20% of EEEs
    > running Linux means next to nothing on the scale of total PC users using
    > Linux versus Windows. How many of them do you think they sold for
    > goodness sake?

    I think we [the folks who make Linux desktops] don't yet
    deliver a good enough user experience.

    ... something I'm committed to work on, focusing increasing
    amounts of resources of Canonical on figuring out on how we
    actually move the desktop experience forward to compete with
    Mac OS X.

    The fact that OS X is growing and Linux isn't, tells you
    that OS X is offering things that Linux is not.

    Damn MacTrolls!

+ Reply to Thread