ASUS - 'Bulk of of requests are for Windows, not linux. Linux is not essential to us.' - Linux

This is a discussion on ASUS - 'Bulk of of requests are for Windows, not linux. Linux is not essential to us.' - Linux ; http://www.osnews.com/thread?322835 ASUS: 'Linux Not Essential to Eee PC Success' So you thought Linux was the key to the Eee PC's success? Not so, according to ASUS. "The bulk of the requests and requirements we see in the marketplace are for ...

  1. ASUS - 'Bulk of of requests are for Windows, not linux. Linux is not essential to us.'

    http://www.osnews.com/thread?322835

    ASUS: 'Linux Not Essential to Eee PC Success'

    So you thought Linux was the key to the Eee PC's success? Not so, according
    to ASUS. "The bulk of the requests and requirements we see in the
    marketplace are for the model with Windows rather than Linux," says Henry
    Lee, Acer's senior product manager. "It's a give and take between simplicity
    of usage for the masses versus full customisation. The Linux version is
    really only to use exactly what is provided, and someone in the know can
    easily remove what's been installed. But consumers are accustomed to the
    Windows environment, and the Windows version will be a stronger player
    eventually."

  2. Re: ASUS - 'Bulk of of requests are for Windows, not linux. Linuxis not essential to us.'

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:21:38 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.osnews.com/thread?322835
    >

    > ASUS: 'Linux Not Essential to Eee PC Success'
    >
    > So you thought Linux was the key to the Eee PC's success? Not so,
    > according to ASUS. "The bulk of the requests and requirements we see in
    > the marketplace are for the model with Windows rather than Linux," says
    > Henry Lee, Acer's senior product manager. "It's a give and take between
    > simplicity of usage for the masses versus full customisation. The Linux
    > version is really only to use exactly what is provided, and someone in
    > the know can easily remove what's been installed. But consumers are
    > accustomed to the Windows environment, and the Windows version will be a
    > stronger player eventually."

    Linux is not essential to Asus. No duh. But it was OSS that allowed them
    to get their product out the door and show that a Microsoft centric
    system was not needed to make a successful personal computer.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: ASUS - 'Bulk of of requests are for Windows, not linux. Linux is not essential to us.'

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:21:38 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.osnews.com/thread?322835
    >

    > ASUS: 'Linux Not Essential to Eee PC Success'
    >
    > So you thought Linux was the key to the Eee PC's success? Not so, according
    > to ASUS. "The bulk of the requests and requirements we see in the
    > marketplace are for the model with Windows rather than Linux," says Henry
    > Lee, Acer's senior product manager. "It's a give and take between simplicity
    > of usage for the masses versus full customisation. The Linux version is
    > really only to use exactly what is provided, and someone in the know can
    > easily remove what's been installed. But consumers are accustomed to the
    > Windows environment, and the Windows version will be a stronger player
    > eventually."

    And another Linux loon device is destined for the dumpster.......

    Sooner or later the loons in COLA will figure out that average people
    prefer Windows.

    Whenever one of these geek devices gets released the Linux geeks go wild
    and there is a run on sales.
    However, once the geek population is exhausted, sales stagnate and the
    Windows version gets released which puts Linux, once again, on the back
    burner.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: ASUS - 'Bulk of of requests are for Windows, not linux. Linux is not essential to us.'

    ****
    > marketplace are for the model with Windows rather than Linux," says Henry
    > Lee, Acer's senior product manager. "It's a give and take between simplicity

    ****
    > of usage for the masses versus full customisation. The Linux version is

    I'm curious why an Acer product manager is being quoted talking about
    ASUS's market.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: ASUS - 'Bulk of of requests are for Windows, not linux. Linux is not essential to us.'

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> http://www.osnews.com/thread?322835
    >>

    >> ASUS: 'Linux Not Essential to Eee PC Success'
    >>
    >> So you thought Linux was the key to the Eee PC's success? Not so, according
    >> to ASUS. "The bulk of the requests and requirements we see in the

    > ****
    >> marketplace are for the model with Windows rather than Linux," says Henry
    >> Lee, Acer's senior product manager. "It's a give and take between simplicity

    > ****
    >> of usage for the masses versus full customisation. The Linux version is

    > I'm curious why an Acer product manager is being quoted talking about
    > ASUS's market.

    He probably misread the signs. As Asus themselves said "We make equal
    numbers of linux and windows 901s, but the linux ones have sold out leaving
    only windows xp versions on the shelves".

    Maybe Mr Acer saw all the windows ones on store shelves and misinterpreted
    that to mean there was a larger supply of them rather than a far punier
    demand?

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |