Linux more popular than windows shocker. Story at 11. - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux more popular than windows shocker. Story at 11. - Linux ; From TheRegister... http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...ee_901_famine/ Readers alerted us to the fact that while Windows XP-loaded 901's are available to buy from British resellers, there's a paucity of the Linux version. It'll be available in late July, suppliers say. That has led some ...

  1. Linux more popular than windows shocker. Story at 11.

    From TheRegister...
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...ee_901_famine/

    Readers alerted us to the fact that while Windows XP-loaded 901's are
    available to buy from British resellers, there's a paucity of the Linux
    version. It'll be available in late July, suppliers say.

    That has led some would-be buyers to suspect pressure applied to Asus by the
    hand of the Beast of Redmond, but Asus UK spokeswoman Helen Ling pointed the
    finger at Intel.

    Asus produces Linux and XP Eees in equal numbers, she claimed, and will
    continue to do so: the Linux Eees are the better selling models. "We think
    our version of Linux is how we will stand out from our competitors," she
    said.

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  2. Re: Linux more popular than windows shocker. Story at 11.

    Verily I say unto thee, that Andrew Halliwell spake thusly:

    > the Linux Eees are the better selling models.

    Straight from the horse's mouth.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    14:03:27 up 206 days, 10:38, 3 users, load average: 4.59, 4.62, 4.43

  3. Re: Linux more popular than windows shocker. Story at 11.

  4. Re: Linux more popular than windows shocker. Story at 11.

    On Jul 14, 5:51 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > ____/ Homer on Monday 14 July 2008 13:03 : \____
    > > Verily I say unto thee, that Andrew Halliwell spake thusly:

    > >> the Linux Eees are the better selling models.

    I'm not surprised. When I got my EEE, it just worked. I didn't HAVE
    to do anything, but when I got connected to the Internet, one of the
    options was to get updates and additional software.

    Originally, I thought I might install SUSE or Red Hat Linux, but the
    ASUS Linux is perfect for this little computer.

    > > Straight from the horse's mouth.

    You can expect a retraction within 48 hours ;-)

    I'm sure that Ballmer has already made a phone call and some veiled
    threats. Hopefully, the CEO has a recording system that can record
    those incoming calls from Ballmer. Of course, there are all those
    nondisclosure agreements, so it can't be published or used in a direct
    lawsuit, but it could be used to provide information to the EU courts
    as well as the US DOJ (like the Bush administration would actually DO
    anything with the information).

    > The Eee PC is somewhere between the phone and the laptop... well, in a sense
    > anyway.

    It's the best of a PDA, Laptop, phone, and diary. It's small enough
    that you can carry it with you to meetings, take notes in real-time,
    and store the documents in OpenOffice formats, and/or save them in MS-
    Office formats. Later, you can plug in an external USB drive,
    external keyboard, and external video monitor and have a respectable
    desktop computer. If you also have a personal computer, you can even
    use the EEE as a WiFi hub, or share via a standard ethernet cable.

    > People just need something that works. People don't want Windows XP with
    > defrag.exe and Solitaire on their telephone.

    Defrag is built into the file-system, the EEE also includes some
    games, including Solitaire, Crack Attack, Penguin Racer, Suduku,
    Potato Guy, LTris (like tetris). There are also educational programs,
    including a planitarium, Periodic table, a typing tutur, Hangman (in
    different languages), Fraction Tutorial, TuxMath, Geometry, and
    Function Plotter. There is also Paint, Tux Paint, and Web Skool.
    There is also a video player, music manager/player, photo manager/
    viewer, sound recorder, and a media player.

    I've also been seeing some commercial software for the EEE as well.
    Can I-Tunes, Napster, and Roxio be far behind?

    > It has been claimed in other articles that the tinkerers (those who need extra
    > programs and stuff) are those who insist on getting XP. How things have
    > changed...

    The one thing that WinTrolls could argue is that most people get the
    ASUS EEE as a second computer, a supplement to their desktop or
    laptop. This means that these users still have access to Windows, but
    they just don't need Windows when they are in a restaurant, in a
    conference room, or on an airplane, where the seat in front of you is
    jamming into your knees.

  5. Re: Linux more popular than windows shocker. Story at 11.

    * Rex Ballard peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The one thing that WinTrolls could argue is that most people get the
    > ASUS EEE as a second computer, a supplement to their desktop or
    > laptop. This means that these users still have access to Windows, but
    > they just don't need Windows when they are in a restaurant, in a
    > conference room, or on an airplane, where the seat in front of you is
    > jamming into your knees.

    Deluge of F*cking Sh*t's insane rhetoric to the contrary, there's
    nothing wrong with having a Windows system at hand, if you must.

    After, Bill "I'm a Thug" Gates got his lame OS, formats, and protocols
    into dominance, and actually has a reasonably useful product now
    (although Microsoft seems to want to torpedo XP), which led a lot of
    companies to write solely for Windows. And Microsoft approaches
    Scientology in its aggressive, monomaniacal, strident, jeering, and
    unrelenting approach to the least sign of opposition. Hence, like
    taxes, Windows is difficult to avoid.

    Even when you hate it, or the thuggish company that created it.

    --
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly
    big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the

  6. Re: Linux more popular than windows shocker. Story at 11.

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    > On Jul 14, 5:51 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >> ____/ Homer on Monday 14 July 2008 13:03 : \____
    >> > Verily I say unto thee, that Andrew Halliwell spake thusly:

    > I'm not surprised. When I got my EEE, it just worked. I didn't HAVE
    > to do anything, but when I got connected to the Internet, one of the
    > options was to get updates and additional software.
    >
    > Originally, I thought I might install SUSE or Red Hat Linux, but the
    > ASUS Linux is perfect for this little computer.
    >
    >> > Straight from the horse's mouth.

    > You can expect a retraction within 48 hours ;-)
    >
    > I'm sure that Ballmer has already made a phone call and some veiled
    > threats. Hopefully, the CEO has a recording system that can record
    > those incoming calls from Ballmer. Of course, there are all those
    > nondisclosure agreements, so it can't be published or used in a direct
    > lawsuit, but it could be used to provide information to the EU courts
    > as well as the US DOJ (like the Bush administration would actually DO
    > anything with the information).
    >
    >> The Eee PC is somewhere between the phone and the laptop... well, in a
    >> sense anyway.

    > It's the best of a PDA, Laptop, phone, and diary. It's small enough
    > that you can carry it with you to meetings, take notes in real-time,
    > and store the documents in OpenOffice formats, and/or save them in MS-
    > Office formats. Later, you can plug in an external USB drive,
    > external keyboard, and external video monitor and have a respectable
    > desktop computer. If you also have a personal computer, you can even
    > use the EEE as a WiFi hub, or share via a standard ethernet cable.
    >
    >> People just need something that works. People don't want Windows XP with
    >> defrag.exe and Solitaire on their telephone.

    > Defrag is built into the file-system, the EEE also includes some
    > games, including Solitaire, Crack Attack, Penguin Racer, Suduku,
    > Potato Guy, LTris (like tetris). There are also educational programs,
    > including a planitarium, Periodic table, a typing tutur, Hangman (in
    > different languages), Fraction Tutorial, TuxMath, Geometry, and
    > Function Plotter. There is also Paint, Tux Paint, and Web Skool.
    > There is also a video player, music manager/player, photo manager/
    > viewer, sound recorder, and a media player.
    >
    > I've also been seeing some commercial software for the EEE as well.
    > Can I-Tunes, Napster, and Roxio be far behind?
    >

    >> It has been claimed in other articles that the tinkerers (those who need
    >> extra programs and stuff) are those who insist on getting XP. How things
    >> have changed...

    > The one thing that WinTrolls could argue is that most people get the
    > ASUS EEE as a second computer, a supplement to their desktop or
    > laptop. This means that these users still have access to Windows, but
    > they just don't need Windows when they are in a restaurant, in a
    > conference room, or on an airplane, where the seat in front of you is
    > jamming into your knees.

    Nice post, Rex - and glad to see you contributing here a bit more frequently
    these days.

    Just a couple of points:-

    - You don't mention any anti-virus suite on your Linux version - is there a
    reason for that? Would you use one if it were running XP?:-)

    - On the figures (sales) I was intrigued to read what Asus said.
    A few months ago (and from memory) I thought that I read that MS had confirmed
    that the Asus machine was selling 60% Linux, 40% XP, and that MS "hoped to
    reverse this". Interesting - I'd expected it to be a longer day in coming
    when MS would regard a 40% Linux market share (I use that term advisedly in
    this instance) as being a victory:-)
    That would tie in very nicely though with what Asus are saying now, i.e.
    50/50 production
    Linux version sold out, XP available
    Asus intent to keep that 50/50 ratio the same

    Now just run past me once more those jibes from Windows enthusiasts that "the
    world has "chosen" to use Windows rather than Linux", and reconcile that, if
    you will with what happens when there is a real choice:-)

  7. Re: Linux more popular than windows shocker. Story at 11.

    On Jul 14, 7:42 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * Rex Ballard peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > > The one thing that WinTrolls could argue is that most people get the
    > > ASUS EEE as a second computer, a supplement to their desktop or
    > > laptop. This means that these users still have access to Windows, but
    > > they just don't need Windows when they are in a restaurant, in a
    > > conference room, or on an airplane, where the seat in front of you is
    > > jamming into your knees.

    > Deluge of F*cking Sh*t's insane rhetoric to the contrary, there's
    > nothing wrong with having a Windows system at hand, if you must.
    >
    > After, Bill "I'm a Thug" Gates got his lame OS, formats, and protocols
    > into dominance, and actually has a reasonably useful product now
    > (although Microsoft seems to want to torpedo XP), which led a lot of
    > companies to write solely for Windows. And Microsoft approaches
    > Scientology in its aggressive, monomaniacal, strident, jeering, and
    > unrelenting approach to the least sign of opposition. Hence, like
    > taxes, Windows is difficult to avoid.

    The key here is that we are seeing more and more indicators that most
    people really don't like Windows/Vista all that much, and many of them
    are reducing their dependence on Windows, even though they don't
    scuttle Windows entirely.

    Desktop Virtualization, with Linux as the "native" OS, is spreading
    like wild-fire thanks to tools like VMWare Converter and VMWare
    player. The proliferation of "Mini-Linux" laptops that come with
    Linux-in-flash, and will boot Windows if it's on the hard drive, and
    Linux if Windows is not on the hard drive (or the Windows partition is
    shrunk.

    Dual-boot systems can easily be configured to be virtualized.

    WinTrolls point to Linux and a 0.3% "market share" based on the number
    of machines which are sold with Linux preinstalled, instead of
    Windows, but they miss the fact that installing Linux on a Windows
    machine is getting easier every week. They don't seem to notice that
    most PC hardware is now "Linux Ready". They don't seem to notice that
    machines designed to run Vista exclusively (Linux hostile) have
    dropped in price from $2000 to $200, and many retailers have either
    stopped carrying them (Staples), stopped ordering refresh inventory
    (Best Buy), or have just shut down completely (CompUSA).

    The OEMs are very aware of the Linux market, because Linux users
    typically order higher resolution displays (up to 1900x1200 WUXGA),
    7200 RPM hard drives, and 4 gigabytes of RAM, and they DON'T order the
    "Vista Only" WiFi cards or the "Vista Only" Graphics cards. They also
    seem to request downgrades to XP and usually spend a little extra for
    installation media (so they can reinstall Linux.

    Some OEMs, including HP, Dell, and Lenovo, are offering "Replacement
    Plans" for "Non-windows" systems at a slightly higher price than the
    Windows plans. This is because most Linux users don't need lots of
    "help desk" support, but they might need to replace an LCD display if
    they drop the laptop.

    > Even when you hate it, or the thuggish company that created it.

    The interesting trend here is that more and more end-users really hate
    Microsoft and Windows/Vista. They still have problems with Windows
    crashing, stopping all activity for several seconds or even several
    minutes, or just freezing up entirely. They still have problems with
    Malware, and they still experience Windows as "Slow", having to wait
    for Windows to "Catch up".

    When users have the experience of taking a MAC for a "test drive",
    they have a very strong preference for the MAC over Windows. The
    problem is that a Windows PC costs around $400 and a good Mac Desktop
    typically costs around $1400 to $2000.

    When these users discover that they can pay $100 for a replacement
    hard drive, and/or an external USB drive, create a Windows VM image,
    and install Linux, and get the same performance as Mac, while still
    having the ability to run the hand-full of applications that have to
    run on Windows, they are often "quick converts".

    The problem is that Microsoft can't actually see these "defections".
    They might be able to recognize that the memory size was decreased, or
    that the hardware looks "familiar" (standard VMWare peripherals), but
    when XP or Vista "phones home" it only reports that there is a Windows
    or Vista system running.

    Even when the user is running Windows, they get better performance
    when it's running as a client to native Linux. Linux has better
    memory management, better disk buffering, and uses memory mapping for
    buffer transfers. The result is that Windows doesn't "hang" as much.
    Since the VM image can be saved as a "snapshot" or put into standby
    then Linux can be shut down, the image can be restarted as if the
    Windows box had only been put into standby.

    Microsoft is blind, an it's making them crazy. It seems that Linux is
    everywhere, including desktops and severs, but Microsoft is losing
    it's control of the market. Vista has only achieved 10% market
    penetration in 18 months, compared to XP which had 70% penetration
    within a year. Corporate customers are not upgrading to Vista or
    Office 2007, and many are refusing to accept documents sent in OpenXML
    format (firewalls and virus filters are blocking them). Many
    companies are now officially adopting "Sunset" policies, with the goal
    of having all future documents stored in Open Document Format.

    Even Microsoft servers are being virtualized and embedded in ESX or
    Virtual Center systems, where they share the same hardware with Linux
    VMs. Microsoft is claiming the server as a "Windows" server, but with
    blades runing dual Quad-core Xeon processors, 16-32 gig of RAM, and
    being sold with VMware licenses, it's pretty obvious that stuff other
    than Windows is running on that server.
    Modern blade racks can hold up to 24 blades per cage, and up to 8
    cages per rack. These blade servers can have as many as 256 cores in
    a single rack.

    And the Unix boxes aren't slowing down either. UltraSparc and Power 6
    processors now have huge L3 cache and better memory isolation, which
    means that there is less memory contention between LPARs, VPARs, or
    other VMs. A 64 core P-585 is the equivalent of about 192 Xeon
    cores.

    I said in another posting that there are now over 3 BILLION Linux
    users, but Microsoft only wants to count the ones who purchase Linux
    preinstalled so that they have to run Linux exclusively. WinTrolls
    even go further, siting a statistic that only counts Linux clients if
    Linux is the ONLY operating system being used on ALL of the clients
    sitting behind a firewall. They claim that number is 0.3% which would
    be about 3 million IP addresses that run Linux clients exclusively.

    Other surveys show Linux clients at more like 7-12% which, based on
    1.5 billion user base, would be about 180 million Linux clients world-
    wide.

    It took Microsoft 20 years to reach 100 million users (1994), and they
    had no monopolist trying to shut them down every step of the way.
    There was no huge company spending $4 billion/year to keep Microsoft
    coverage out af the media.

    Linux/OSS on the other hand, has managed to thrive even in the face of
    Microsoft's most vigorous attacks, in spite of $4 billion/year spent
    to limit Linux and OSS coverage, in spite of Microsoft's business
    practices which have been ruled by federal court judges to include
    Fraud, extortion, blackmail, sabotage, piracy, and obstruction of
    justice. All of these rulings resulted in quick settlements in which
    Microsoft refused to acknowledge the wrongdoing in the judges'
    preliminary rulings, sealed the court records and settlement details
    so that evidence of these criminal activities couldn't be used by
    other plaintiffs or prosecutors, and often included a carefully worded
    settlement agreement which gave Microsoft express permission to
    continue to engage in these criminal business practices.

    The big question for the future, is; now that Bill Gates II and III
    have left the company, can Ballmer pull the same hijinks in federal
    and international courts, negotiating tables, and key business
    meetings, and get away with the things Bill did. Negotiators often
    mistook Bill's whiny voice, seeming frailty, and seeming vulnerability
    as a sign of weakness. Bill used to beat the crap out of Ballmer in
    poker. Bill was the "Good Cop" and Ballmer was the "Bad Cop", but now
    Ballmer is on his own.

    Perhaps the real question should be "How long before Ballmer ends up
    facing federal or international indictments?.

+ Reply to Thread