Re: [News] [Rival] Op-Ed: Microsoft CEO Should Just STFU - Linux

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Op-Ed: Microsoft CEO Should Just STFU

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:34:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > We donąt want you to talk, Mr. Ballmer

    So freedom and *Open Source" is only valid when it meets *your*
    criteria....

    That sounds about right for the Linux community.

    You either follow what the zealots say, completely, without question, or
    they will organize a boycott against you.

    You are sounding more like a screwball every day Roy Schestowitz..

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [Rival] Op-Ed: Microsoft CEO Should Just STFU

    On Jul 13, 4:47 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:34:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > > We donąt want you to talk, Mr. Ballmer

    > So freedom and *Open Source" is only valid when it meets *your*
    > criteria....

    No, it's just that we have seen what happens when Microsoft "Embraces"
    the technology of a Rival. I like to say, Microsoft "embraces" rival
    technology, like a python "embraces" a gazelle, crushing every bit of
    life out of it, until it can swallow it whole.

    Microsoft "Embraced" TCP/IP - but implementing the minimal subset -
    while preserving proprietary protocols such as NetBIOS and SMB and
    WINS, and replaced RARP with DHCP, to circumvent security systems
    established by Unix administrators. The result, viruses running amok
    all over corporate networks, being passed through "shared drives" like
    an infection through a pre-school.

    Microsoft "Embraced" the "Web", but added ActiveX controls, in an
    attempt to kill CORBA and Java, with the result of Viruses being
    passed through Outlook and IE like the SARS virus in a Japanese
    airport.

    Microsoft "Embraced" scripting - in VBA, but the proprietary nature
    resulted in macro viruses that spread faster than olive oil on a hot
    griddle - Jane's resume whacked millions of computers, as did ILoveYou
    and a few other macroviruses.

    Microsoft "Embraced" LDAP - but then redefined authentication field
    allowing anyone with access to the Cert Authority to gain total access
    to the entire corporate network.

    Microsoft "Embraced" virtualization, purchasing a third-rate
    competitor and offering a Virtualization solution that could only work
    on Windows, not Linux. And now Microsoft is surprised that they can't
    seem to squeeze the life out of VMWare - in fact, it's thriving.

    Microsoft "Embraced" search portals, offering search functions on MSN,
    but throwing irrelevant advertising in with marginally relevant
    content links. And they wonder why Google, who matches ad content to
    intrests, seems to be getting the lion's share of advertising revenue,
    and why Yahoo won't agree to an exclusive take-over deal that will
    exclude Google (and it's revenues). And when Google offers to share
    some of their revenue with Yahoo, Microsoft used it's close friendship
    with George Bush and the DOJ to initiate an antitrust investigation
    into this revenue sharing and these nonexclusive deals.

    Now Microsoft wants to "Embrace" Open Source. They can't get PCs to
    "phone home" if they aren't running Windows as the primary operating
    system, and as more and more machines run Linux as the primary with
    Windows as a VM "Client", it's getting harder to get a real picture of
    the competition. They can't see who is using Linux, OpenOffice, and
    other OSS software, when the user is running these applications on
    LInux, so now Microsoft wants to participate in the "Open Census"
    getting Linux PCs to "phone home" to Microsoft, so they can get that
    strategic marketing information.

    Microsoft wants to find out who is using Linux and OSS so they can
    figure out who to "kill", or "neutralize".them. Killing someone
    usually means inducing them to leave a client with deep pockets in
    exchange for a position where their sphere of influence will be
    smaller or more easily contained (a loyal Microsoft customer).
    Neutralizing someone usually means helping the employer place a
    Microsoft friendly manager just above the "problem" with the ability
    to block any attempts to influence upper management.

    And you wonder why we aren't particularly thrilled when Steve Ballmer
    tells us he wants to "Embrace" the Open Source community.

    > That sounds about right for the Linux community.
    >
    > You either follow what the zealots say, completely, without question, or
    > they will organize a boycott against you.
    >
    > You are sounding more like a screwball every day Roy Schestowitz..
    >
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: [Rival] Op-Ed: Microsoft CEO Should Just STFU

    * Rex Ballard peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Microsoft "Embraced" TCP/IP - but implementing the minimal subset...
    > Microsoft "Embraced" the "Web", but added ActiveX controls...
    > Microsoft "Embraced" scripting - in VBA, but the proprietary nature...
    > Microsoft "Embraced" LDAP - but then redefined authentication field...
    > Microsoft "Embraced" virtualization, purchasing a third-rate...
    > Microsoft "Embraced" search portals, offering search functions on MSN...
    > Now Microsoft wants to "Embrace" Open Source.

    You do the math .

    --
    Mitchell's Law of Committees:
    Any simple problem can be made insoluble if enough meetings are

  4. Re: [Rival] Op-Ed: Microsoft CEO Should Just STFU

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:35:19 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:

    > On Jul 13, 4:47 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    >> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:34:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> We donąt want you to talk, Mr. Ballmer

    >> So freedom and *Open Source" is only valid when it meets *your*
    >> criteria....

    > No, it's just that we have seen what happens when Microsoft "Embraces"
    > the technology of a Rival. I like to say, Microsoft "embraces" rival
    > technology, like a python "embraces" a gazelle, crushing every bit of
    > life out of it, until it can swallow it whole.

    Welcome to the real world.

    The list of companies IBM has done this to is endless.

    My point is this, look at the loonies in this group.

    They are paranoid, wacky and just plain nuts in some cases.

    And if that wasn't enough, most of them are hypocrites because they fly the
    Linux flag in full color by night but earn their living using Windows and
    proprietary software by day.

    I wouldn't have a problem with this except that they are preaching from the
    pulpit, unlike say a normal Windows/Linux user whose company just happens
    to use Windows but they prefer Linux.

    That's the difference between a hypocrite like Mark Kent and most Linux
    users.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: