Xubuntu: "always screws up on me" - Linux

This is a discussion on Xubuntu: "always screws up on me" - Linux ; On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:52:37 -0400, DFS wrote: > JEDIDIAH wrote: >> On 2008-07-14, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote: >>> DFS wrote: >>>> >>>> http://fosswire.com/2007/09/08/fix-a...ic-sysrq-keys/ >>>> >>>> Linux just works >>> >>> 1) Ctrl-Alt-F1 for a new console. Then just ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Xubuntu: "always screws up on me"

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:52:37 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> 1) Ctrl-Alt-F1 for a new console. Then just log in and kill/restart to
    >>> locked process (or whatever is needed).

    >> ...well, the sysreq keys are supposed to be for a system that's so badly
    >> borked that you can't change to another virtual console. This is one of
    >> those things that's so rare that I've never bothered how to use this
    >> feature.

    > Yeah, it's so rare they had to invent a variety of mnemonics to remember
    > how to do it...

    Exactly. If you have to do something often you don't need mnemonics to
    remember how to do it. The need for mnemonics indicates that this is a
    rare situation.

    Bug

  2. Re: Xubuntu: "always screws up on me"

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-07-14, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://fosswire.com/2007/09/08/fix-a...ic-sysrq-keys/
    >>>
    >>> Linux just works

    >> 1) Ctrl-Alt-F1 for a new console. Then just log in and kill/restart to
    >> locked process (or whatever is needed).

    > ...well, the sysreq keys are supposed to be for a system that's so
    > badly borked that you can't change to another virtual console. This
    > is one of those things that's so rare that I've never bothered how
    > to use this feature.

    Leave it to that nattering nabob of negativism, DFS, to make a bad thing
    out of what is actually a very cool feature of Linux.

    It's even better than the Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence created by IBM (but made
    famous by Microsoft).

    --
    I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do will encounter
    quick retribution. All will be suspended, and I don't care if it wrecks

  3. Re: Xubuntu: "always screws up on me"

    * bugbuster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:52:37 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, it's so rare they had to invent a variety of mnemonics to remember
    >> how to do it...

    > Exactly. If you have to do something often you don't need mnemonics to
    > remember how to do it. The need for mnemonics indicates that this is a
    > rare situation.

    I've had two situations where it would have been nice to know about it.
    Both due to X commandeering the keyboard (as is normal) and then
    freezing.

    --
    The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
    center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2