[News] Linux-based Acer Laptop Gets 5/5, Windows-based Eee Just 3/5 - Linux

  1. [News] Linux-based Acer Laptop Gets 5/5, Windows-based Eee Just 3/5

    Test Bench: Flash-based laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Acer owes its speedy start in part to its Linux-based operating system,
    | which is far more nimble than Windows. Of course, you won’t have access to
    | Windows-compatible software, but the custom-built Linux interface is friendly
    | and you get a full set of office, media and internet applications on its 8GB
    | solid-state drive.
    |
    | [MacBook Air just 4/5.]
    |
    | ASUS EEEPC 901 £319
    |
    | START-UP TIME: 27SEC
    | The Asus EeePC was the first, revolutionary solid-state, bargain basement
    | laptop. This latest version is the most refined yet. Our review unit ran
    | Windows XP and comes with Microsoft Works and StarOffice preinstalled.
    | However, the version running Linux offers faster start-up speeds and speedier
    | performance - the Intel Atom processor and 1GB of Ram frankly struggles with
    | XP, although the 20GB of memory is generous.
    `----

    http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4315331.ece

    Recent:

    Review: Acer Aspire One notebook computer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows XP Home will be available on more expensive Aspire One models, but
    | this one uses the free Linux operating system with a selection of useful
    | programs installed. We liked the ability to start both Firefox and Openoffice
    | Writer from the front screen, and the email and instant messaging programs
    | can cleverly connect to several services.
    `----

    http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ew-acer-aspire

    Aspire One: the netbook Eee PC killer from Acer?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Aspire One is definitely a contender, coming with the Linpus version of
    | Linux and enhanced with a friendly interface that looks graphically nicer
    | than that which comes with the Xandros powered version of Linux on the Asus
    | Eee PC.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19224/1103/

    Acer's Linpus Linux Lite (Fedora) ultra portable laptop piles the pressure on
    Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Gianpiero Morbello, Acer’s Vice President of Marketing and Brand, interviewed
    | by vnunet, said, bluntly, that Acer “has shifted towards Linux because of
    | Microsoft”.
    |
    | He didn’t elaborate but went on to say, perhaps more importantly,
    | that “Microsoft has a lot of power” which could make things difficult for
    | them but they were nevertheless “determined to develop the Linux market”.
    | That’s pretty bold talk but as the saying goes, the proof of the pudding is
    | in the eating. We’ll have wait and see if they have the stomach for a
    | showdown with Microsoft when the threats start to come. Perhaps they might
    | start backsliding like Asus. In the real world, Microsoft has real power and
    | it has never been slow or afraid to wield it when its commercial interests
    | are threatened. Linpus Technologies haven’t been behind the door either. As
    | the software vendors of Linpus Linux Lite they have pitched their product to
    | GNU/LInux novices and experts alike
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The HP 2133 is another well spec’d contender but it chose to install SUSE, a
    | Novell product that is being currently boycotted by many in the Unix
    | community because of its link up with……Microsoft.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...ortable_laptop

    Acer punts £199... er... £220... er... Linux laptop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At launch, the company stated the basic version of the Eee PC rival would run
    | Linux, pack in 8GB of solid-state storage and 512MB of memory, and sport a
    | £199 price tag. Company officials stressed that that figure included VAT, the
    | UK's 17.5 per cent sales tax.
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07..._laptop_price/

    Acer launches $500 Atom-powered Linux mini-note

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Aspire One sports Intel’s Atom processor, an 8.9in screen and a $99 cashback
    | deal on its $599 (Linux) and $699 (Windows XP) sticker price
    `----

    http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2556

    Acer Aspire One

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Many of us will be familiar with Linux-based operating systems, but
    | relatively few of you will have seen the particular 'Linpus' implementation
    | in the One. The home screen is divided into four sections: "Connect" for all
    | Internet, instant messenger and email-related tasks; "Work" for accessing
    | OpenOffice word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and database
    | applications; "Fun" for the games, media player and photo management
    | software; and "Files" for accessing your data. There's also a search bar at
    | the top right that can be used to search the Internet directly or the files
    | on the hard drives.
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com.au/laptops/lapto...9290036,00.htm

    Acer bets big on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its laptops and
    | netbooks.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...hes-linux-hard

    Microsoft sees slide in profits

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Related:

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

    Man wins damages from Acer over Windows refund

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Initially, Acer had offered only €30 if the man returned elements of the
    | install at his own expense .
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Linux-based Acer Laptop Gets 5/5, Windows-based Eee Just 3/5

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Test Bench: Flash-based laptops
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Acer owes its speedy start in part to its Linux-based operating
    > | system, which is far more nimble than Windows. Of course, you won?t have
    > | access to Windows-compatible software,

    You could if WINDUMMY software developers wrote their software to
    be WINE 1.0 compliant.

    > but the custom-built Linux
    > | interface is friendly and you get a full set of office, media and
    > | internet applications on its 8GB solid-state drive.
    > |
    > | [MacBook Air just 4/5.]
    > |
    > | ASUS EEEPC 901 319
    > |
    > | START-UP TIME: 27SEC
    > | The Asus EeePC was the first, revolutionary solid-state, bargain
    > | basement laptop. This latest version is the most refined yet. Our review
    > | unit ran Windows XP and comes with Microsoft Works and StarOffice
    > | preinstalled. However, the version running Linux offers faster start-up
    > | speeds and speedier performance - the Intel Atom processor and 1GB of
    > | Ram frankly struggles with XP, although the 20GB of memory is generous.
    > `----
    >
    > http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/.../personal_tech

    test_bench/article4315331.ece

  3. Re: [News] Linux-based Acer Laptop Gets 5/5, Windows-based Eee Just 3/5

    ____/ 7 on Sunday 13 July 2008 18:33 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

+ Reply to Thread