How to crash Syncraptic? Just add a repo - Linux

This is a discussion on How to crash Syncraptic? Just add a repo - Linux ; Added the Sid binary repo to Syncraptic http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...c_add_repo.png Clicked OK, clicked Reload then got this error, then it crashed http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ptic_error.png Now the error comes up each time I start Syncraptic, and it refuses to load the package lists. Go open ...

  1. How to crash Syncraptic? Just add a repo

    Added the Sid binary repo to Syncraptic
    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...c_add_repo.png

    Clicked OK, clicked Reload then got this error, then it crashed
    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ptic_error.png

    Now the error comes up each time I start Syncraptic, and it refuses to load
    the package lists.

    Go open source! Low price! Best kualitee!

  2. Re: How to crash Syncraptic? Just add a repo

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:24:39 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Added the Sid binary repo to Syncraptic
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...c_add_repo.png
    >
    > Clicked OK, clicked Reload then got this error, then it crashed
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ptic_error.png
    >
    > Now the error comes up each time I start Syncraptic, and it refuses to load
    > the package lists.
    >
    > Go open source! Low price! Best kualitee!

    Linux basement ware at it's finest....
    Why people would trust their data with this crap is beyond me....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: How to crash Syncraptic? Just add a repo

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:24:39 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Added the Sid binary repo to Syncraptic
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...c_add_repo.png
    >>
    >> Clicked OK, clicked Reload then got this error, then it crashed
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ptic_error.png
    >>
    >> Now the error comes up each time I start Syncraptic, and it refuses
    >> to load the package lists.
    >>
    >> Go open source! Low price! Best kualitee!

    > Linux basement ware at it's finest....
    > Why people would trust their data with this crap is beyond me....

    And this is Debian Stable (Etch)... the "100% guaranteed rock solid" Linux
    distro.

  4. Re: How to crash Syncraptic? Just add a repo

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:17:11 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:24:39 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Added the Sid binary repo to Syncraptic
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...c_add_repo.png
    >>>
    >>> Clicked OK, clicked Reload then got this error, then it crashed
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ptic_error.png
    >>>
    >>> Now the error comes up each time I start Syncraptic, and it refuses
    >>> to load the package lists.
    >>>
    >>> Go open source! Low price! Best kualitee!

    >> Linux basement ware at it's finest....
    >> Why people would trust their data with this crap is beyond me....

    > And this is Debian Stable (Etch)... the "100% guaranteed rock solid" Linux
    > distro.

    When KDE 3.x was released it fixed a ton, and I mean a ton of bugs that KDE
    2.x had.

    On top of that it had more eye candy and was noticeably faster and more
    stable than 2.x...

    I got a real kick out of the Debian people that were claiming this
    "stability thing" all the time while they stayed with KDE 2.0 which was
    riddled with bugs....

    It just did not make sense.

    Sure there is a point in being conservative, but sticking with buggy
    software when improved versions exist is just foolish....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: How to crash Syncraptic? Just add a repo

    Linonut writes:

    > * skydweller peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:24:39 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Added the Sid binary repo to Syncraptic
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...c_add_repo.png
    >>>
    >>> Clicked OK, clicked Reload then got this error, then it crashed
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ptic_error.png

    > Where's the OK and Reload in the dialogs this doofus shows?
    >
    >>> Now the error comes up each time I start Syncraptic, and it refuses to
    >>> load the package lists.
    >>>
    >>> Go open source! Low price! Best kualitee!

    > I suspect that this doofus's /var/directory is wayyyyy too small.

    You do? Why? It was nothing to do with his machine.

    --
    "Of course, by the time Gnash gets its act together, we'll
    probably all have to start all over again with Silverlight

  6. Re: How to crash Syncraptic? Just add a repo

    Linonut wrote:
    > * skydweller peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:24:39 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Added the Sid binary repo to Syncraptic
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...c_add_repo.png
    >>>
    >>> Clicked OK, clicked Reload then got this error, then it crashed
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ptic_error.png

    > Where's the OK and Reload in the dialogs this doofus shows?

    I clicked Close, then Reload which is on the Syncraptic menu.

    >>> Now the error comes up each time I start Syncraptic, and it refuses
    >>> to load the package lists.
    >>>
    >>> Go open source! Low price! Best kualitee!

    > I suspect that this doofus's /var/directory is wayyyyy too small.

    I suspect the Syncraptic code was written by a variety of morons.

    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_GParted.png

    > Lessee, "problem with mergelist":
    >
    > http://www.plug.org/pipermail/plug/2...ry/001867.html
    >
    > This happened because Debian is so big now, that once I started
    > listing multiple sources, it couldn't cope with them all with its
    > default settings for its Dynamic MMap (which stands for Dynamic
    > Memory Map I think). The way this gets fixed is to add the
    > APT::Cache-Limits parameter to your /etc/apt/apt.conf file, with a
    > size greater than 6MB. The value has to be in bytes. Thus, when I
    > changed mine to 12MB (I thought doubling it might be enough) I put
    > in the following line:
    >
    > APT::Cache-Limit 12582912;
    >
    > (12582912 is 12 * 1024 * 1024) See "man apt.conf" for more details.
    > (And "man apt-config" for a command to let you see what your current
    > config is).

    This is another good example why Linux [sometimes] sucks so bad it's beyond
    irritating. For Syncraptic to read in a few text files, I have to add the
    number of bytes above 6mb to a text file?

    And what's the point, anyway, as my Debian Etch install has no such
    /etc/apt/apt.conf file?

    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_etc_apt.png

    Linux: it's just plain absurd

+ Reply to Thread