[News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release - Linux ; "Rick" stated in post VaWdnULx74MHp-fVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 10:25 AM: > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:26:14 -0700, Snit wrote: > >> "Rick" stated in post >> VaWdnU_x74NncuTVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 5:07 AM: >> >> ... >>>>> While Snit did quote he ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 55 of 55

Thread: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

  1. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    "Rick" stated in post
    VaWdnULx74MHp-fVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 10:25 AM:

    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:26:14 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> VaWdnU_x74NncuTVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 5:07 AM:
    >>
    >> ...
    >>>>> While Snit did quote he failed to cite.
    >>>>
    >>>> From a recent post:
    >>>> -----
    >>>> 13oft08jhqo0556@news.supernews.com
    >>>>
    >>>> And hey, to help you out, here is a link:
    >>>>
    >>>> <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.....advocacy/msg/
    >>>> a6250d7d3c555647>
    >>>>
    >>>> So now when will you apologize for not only lying but tying *your*
    >>>> lies to *my* name.
    >>>>
    >>>> Even you have to admit that was amazingly pathetic of you, eh? Or
    >>>> are you going to feign ignorance and pretend you do not realize
    >>>> how absurd your actions are? -----
    >>>>
    >>>> You were saying?
    >>>
    >>> They cite says "a user". Not Snit.

    >>
    >> Snit:
    >> Then I went to Radio Streams and Shoutcast... picked a station and
    >> was told there was no available decoder.
    >>
    >> Rick:
    >> The user has to take the chance of breaking laws by installing some
    >> codecs.
    >>
    >> Ah, Rick is playing the game where he pretends (almost surely knowing
    >> full well he is wrong) that the context does not make it clear he was in
    >> reference to me. Poor Rick... his best "defense" is to feign ignorance
    >> as he flip flops and denies his own words.

    >
    > The context was why Amarok does not include codecs.


    And your "solution" to the problem of it not including the codecs needed for
    it to fulfill some of its basic functionality was that a user would *have*
    to risk breaking the law.

    Which is what I said.

    And you denied.

    And I quoted.

    And you denied.

    On and on... you denying your own words.

    ....


    --
    The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
    limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and
    great nations. - David Friedman


  2. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    "Rick" stated in post
    VaWdnXzx74MIoefVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 10:34 AM:

    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:45:17 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> VaWdnUnx74OnauTVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 5:38 AM:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 23:53:31 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>>> VaWdnVDx74NgP-TVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/12/08 11:38 PM:
    >>>>
    >>>> ...
    >>>>>> Not only did I knew Amarok could use external databases I made it
    >>>>>> very, very clear I knew this. In fact, Rick, my *very first*
    >>>>>> sentence in this thread:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I find it funny that a music organizer / player asks the user on
    >>>>>> install what database they want to use.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Are you going to now feign ignorance and pretend you do not see how
    >>>>>> wrong you were? I bet so!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> No, I am calling you on your lies.
    >>>>
    >>>> Funny way to do it... deny that I know something I made *perfectly*
    >>>> clear I knew from my very first sentence in the thread.
    >>>>
    >>>> Wow.
    >>>>
    >>>> You really are bad at trying to prove your point!
    >>>
    >>> Wow, you a most prolific liar.

    >>
    >> Ah, having no evidence or logic to support his case Rick sinks to grade
    >> school name calling.
    >>
    >> Typical of you, Rick!
    >>

    >
    > It is a fact that you are a most prolific liar.
    >
    >>>>> You keep drawing incorrect inferences. You have no comprehension
    >>>>> that Amarok can use external databases, AND IN ORDER TO DO THAT, IT
    >>>>> HAS TO ASK THE USER WHICH TO USE.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The last part, in caps, is the important part.
    >>>>
    >>>> You are lying about my views.
    >>>
    >>> I am not.

    >>
    >> Then you are amazing in your ability to not understand what you read.
    >>
    >>>> I find it funny that a music organizer / player ASKS THE USER ON
    >>>> INSTALL WHAT DATABASE THEY WANT TO USE.
    >>>>
    >>>> The last part, in caps, is the important part... at least in the
    >>>> context of proving you are a liar.
    >>>
    >>> And you prove your stupidity in the process. Since Amarok is capable of
    >>> using external databases, it asks the user what database the user wants
    >>> it to use. If it didn't ask, it wouldn't know if the person wanted to
    >>> use the internal database, or some external data base. And, apparently
    >>> you think that is funny.

    >>
    >> Are you feigning ignorance or do you really not understand why I find
    >> Amarok's behavior to be "funny"?
    >>
    >> It is good, by gthe way, that you finally acknowledged that Amarok can
    >> use an "internal" database. That is progress for you!

    >
    > I "finally" acknowledged? Maybe you can show where I impled or stated it
    > didn't use an "internal" database. I am the one that pointed you to
    > SQLite.
    >
    >>
    >>>>>>>> And to prove you know you are in over your heard you resort to
    >>>>>>>> targetting my personal and professional information.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> You are such a whining self-professed martyr. You do know that
    >>>>>>> businesses get "targeted" every day, don't you? You do know that
    >>>>>>> negative advertising is quite legal, don't you?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I did not mention legality. I am talking about *morality*. You
    >>>>>> find nothing wrong with targeting my *business* simply because you I
    >>>>>> point out how you embarrass yourself in a Usenet debate. Face it,
    >>>>>> Rick, that shows a complete lack of morality from you.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Your statement is a complete lie, which shows a lack of morals on
    >>>>> your part.
    >>>>
    >>>> Do you deny posting my personal and business information with the goal
    >>>> of tying your derogatory comments to my information?
    >>>
    >>> Yes.

    >>
    >> Then it is clear you are lying.

    >
    > it is clear you are lying.
    >
    >>
    >>>> If you do deny that, Rick, you are - again - lying.
    >>>
    >>> You cannot know my motivations, unless you can read minds. Are claiming
    >>> clairvoyance now, Michael?

    >>
    >> Let us not pretend you are doing anything other than lying.

    >
    > it is clear you are lying.
    >
    >>
    >>>> This is not a
    >>>> debate, Rick - you can either admit to your despicable actions or deny
    >>>> them - either way it is clear you have done *exactly* as I describe.
    >>>
    >>> It may be clear to you, but you seem to have problems with reality. If
    >>> you'd like -me- to start associating your public words with your
    >>> personal and business reputation, I can do that. Just let me know. I,
    >>> or anyone here, probably, can show you the difference between what you
    >>> are whining about and actually connecting your words with your personal
    >>> and business life..

    >>
    >> I have made it clear I do not want you associating your posts with *my*
    >> personal and professional info.

    >
    >> Now you are asking me if I want you to
    >> do so (though you pretend your use of my info would connect my info with
    >> *me*, as if *I* post as you. I do not).
    >>
    >> As noted: you have a hard time understanding what you read.

    >
    > As noted: you are clueless. And, BTW, I am an excellent reader.
    >
    >>
    >>> And, you need to come to terms with the fact that everything said here
    >>> is in a public forum. Public. If you feel there have been untruths
    >>> written about you, and those untruths are causing public personal and
    >>> business harm, you should contact a lawyer.

    >>
    >> You are pretending I have been untruthful.

    >
    > You are an out and out liar. I am not pretnding anything.
    >
    >> You are pretending that your
    >> actions are defensible. They are not.

    >
    > And you are wrong again.
    >
    >>
    >>>> Repeatedly. You even talked about contacting a lawyer when I first
    >>>> noted this behavior from you.
    >>>
    >>> Another lie. That is not the reason I talked about contacting a lawyer.

    >>
    >> Shall I quote your talking about a lawyer when I noted your indefensible
    >> behavior?

    >
    > Go ahead. Only. make sure you don't do what you usually do, which is
    > selectively quote. Make sure you include the parts preceding me telling
    > you you do what you need to do, and I'll do what I need to do.
    >
    >>>> ...
    >>>>
    >>>> I snipped your grade school insults. Well... some of them.
    >>>
    >>> Of course you snipped with out attribution. It is what you do.

    >>
    >> "Attribution"? Do you even know what the word means?

    >
    > Yes.



    On and on you go - showing no understanding of what you read and repeatedly
    lying about me and my comments.

    Amarok - a music player / organizer - asks by default what database to use -
    even though, as you have now acknowledged, it has its own internal one that
    it can use and thus has no need to ask such a question... a question that is
    completely absurd to ask the general user. As I noted the question, if the
    developers feel there is such a need, could be asked in an advanced
    installation option and thus better meets the needs of the general user
    while fully meeting the needs of the advanced.

    You, of course, find nothing wrong with an installer for a music player /
    organizer asking every user what database they want to use... though even
    the Amarok installer screen makes it clear that a user may very well "not be
    sure" of which to use. Frankly it is an absurd question to ask *every* user
    who installs the program.



    --
    Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    like if the Lamarckian view of evolution had ended up being accepted
    over Darwin's?


  3. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:05:36 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > VaWdnXzx74MIoefVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 10:34 AM:
    >
    >> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:45:17 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> VaWdnUnx74OnauTVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 5:38 AM:
    >>>
    >>>> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 23:53:31 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>>>> VaWdnVDx74NgP-TVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/12/08 11:38 PM:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> ...
    >>>>>>> Not only did I knew Amarok could use external databases I made it
    >>>>>>> very, very clear I knew this. In fact, Rick, my *very first*
    >>>>>>> sentence in this thread:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I find it funny that a music organizer / player asks the user
    >>>>>>> on install what database they want to use.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Are you going to now feign ignorance and pretend you do not see
    >>>>>>> how wrong you were? I bet so!
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> No, I am calling you on your lies.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Funny way to do it... deny that I know something I made *perfectly*
    >>>>> clear I knew from my very first sentence in the thread.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Wow.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You really are bad at trying to prove your point!
    >>>>
    >>>> Wow, you a most prolific liar.
    >>>
    >>> Ah, having no evidence or logic to support his case Rick sinks to
    >>> grade school name calling.
    >>>
    >>> Typical of you, Rick!
    >>>
    >>>

    >> It is a fact that you are a most prolific liar.
    >>
    >>>>>> You keep drawing incorrect inferences. You have no comprehension
    >>>>>> that Amarok can use external databases, AND IN ORDER TO DO THAT, IT
    >>>>>> HAS TO ASK THE USER WHICH TO USE.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> The last part, in caps, is the important part.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You are lying about my views.
    >>>>
    >>>> I am not.
    >>>
    >>> Then you are amazing in your ability to not understand what you read.
    >>>
    >>>>> I find it funny that a music organizer / player ASKS THE USER ON
    >>>>> INSTALL WHAT DATABASE THEY WANT TO USE.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The last part, in caps, is the important part... at least in the
    >>>>> context of proving you are a liar.
    >>>>
    >>>> And you prove your stupidity in the process. Since Amarok is capable
    >>>> of using external databases, it asks the user what database the user
    >>>> wants it to use. If it didn't ask, it wouldn't know if the person
    >>>> wanted to use the internal database, or some external data base. And,
    >>>> apparently you think that is funny.
    >>>
    >>> Are you feigning ignorance or do you really not understand why I find
    >>> Amarok's behavior to be "funny"?
    >>>
    >>> It is good, by gthe way, that you finally acknowledged that Amarok can
    >>> use an "internal" database. That is progress for you!

    >>
    >> I "finally" acknowledged? Maybe you can show where I impled or stated
    >> it didn't use an "internal" database. I am the one that pointed you to
    >> SQLite.
    >>
    >>
    >>>>>>>>> And to prove you know you are in over your heard you resort to
    >>>>>>>>> targetting my personal and professional information.
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> You are such a whining self-professed martyr. You do know that
    >>>>>>>> businesses get "targeted" every day, don't you? You do know that
    >>>>>>>> negative advertising is quite legal, don't you?
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I did not mention legality. I am talking about *morality*. You
    >>>>>>> find nothing wrong with targeting my *business* simply because you
    >>>>>>> I point out how you embarrass yourself in a Usenet debate. Face
    >>>>>>> it, Rick, that shows a complete lack of morality from you.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Your statement is a complete lie, which shows a lack of morals on
    >>>>>> your part.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Do you deny posting my personal and business information with the
    >>>>> goal of tying your derogatory comments to my information?
    >>>>
    >>>> Yes.
    >>>
    >>> Then it is clear you are lying.

    >>
    >> it is clear you are lying.
    >>
    >>
    >>>>> If you do deny that, Rick, you are - again - lying.
    >>>>
    >>>> You cannot know my motivations, unless you can read minds. Are
    >>>> claiming clairvoyance now, Michael?
    >>>
    >>> Let us not pretend you are doing anything other than lying.

    >>
    >> it is clear you are lying.
    >>
    >>
    >>>>> This is not a
    >>>>> debate, Rick - you can either admit to your despicable actions or
    >>>>> deny them - either way it is clear you have done *exactly* as I
    >>>>> describe.
    >>>>
    >>>> It may be clear to you, but you seem to have problems with reality.
    >>>> If you'd like -me- to start associating your public words with your
    >>>> personal and business reputation, I can do that. Just let me know. I,
    >>>> or anyone here, probably, can show you the difference between what
    >>>> you are whining about and actually connecting your words with your
    >>>> personal and business life..
    >>>
    >>> I have made it clear I do not want you associating your posts with
    >>> *my* personal and professional info.

    >>
    >>> Now you are asking me if I want you to do so (though you pretend your
    >>> use of my info would connect my info with *me*, as if *I* post as you.
    >>> I do not).
    >>>
    >>> As noted: you have a hard time understanding what you read.

    >>
    >> As noted: you are clueless. And, BTW, I am an excellent reader.
    >>
    >>
    >>>> And, you need to come to terms with the fact that everything said
    >>>> here is in a public forum. Public. If you feel there have been
    >>>> untruths written about you, and those untruths are causing public
    >>>> personal and business harm, you should contact a lawyer.
    >>>
    >>> You are pretending I have been untruthful.

    >>
    >> You are an out and out liar. I am not pretnding anything.
    >>
    >>> You are pretending that your
    >>> actions are defensible. They are not.

    >>
    >> And you are wrong again.
    >>
    >>
    >>>>> Repeatedly. You even talked about contacting a lawyer when I first
    >>>>> noted this behavior from you.
    >>>>
    >>>> Another lie. That is not the reason I talked about contacting a
    >>>> lawyer.
    >>>
    >>> Shall I quote your talking about a lawyer when I noted your
    >>> indefensible behavior?

    >>
    >> Go ahead. Only. make sure you don't do what you usually do, which is
    >> selectively quote. Make sure you include the parts preceding me telling
    >> you you do what you need to do, and I'll do what I need to do.
    >>
    >>>>> ...
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I snipped your grade school insults. Well... some of them.
    >>>>
    >>>> Of course you snipped with out attribution. It is what you do.
    >>>
    >>> "Attribution"? Do you even know what the word means?

    >>
    >> Yes.

    >
    >
    > On and on you go - showing no understanding of what you read and
    > repeatedly lying about me and my comments.
    >
    > Amarok - a music player / organizer - asks by default what database to
    > use - even though, as you have now acknowledged,


    I never denied it. As a matter of fact, I told you about SQLite.

    > it has its own internal
    > one that it can use and thus has no need to ask such a question... a


    Apparently the developers disagree with you.

    > question that is completely absurd to ask the general user. As I noted
    > the question, if the developers feel there is such a need, could be
    > asked in an advanced installation option and thus better meets the needs
    > of the general user while fully meeting the needs of the advanced.


    I see no problem setting up which database to use at the initial install/
    setup.

    >
    > You, of course, find nothing wrong with an installer for a music player
    > / organizer asking every user what database they want to use... though
    > even the Amarok installer screen makes it clear that a user may very
    > well "not be sure" of which to use. Frankly it is an absurd question to
    > ask *every* user who installs the program.


    It is absurd in your opinion.


    --
    Rick

  4. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:56:12 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > VaWdnUHx74ORpOfVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 10:19 AM:
    >
    >> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:22:36 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> VaWdnUzx74O_cuTVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 5:03 AM:
    >>>
    >>>>>> Purchase them and you should be fine. Should be. Might be. Context.
    >>>>>> Just downloading and installing codecs can violate laws in places.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> And your statement was :"Rick has told me I would have to risk
    >>>>>> breaking the law just to get some pretty basic functionality out of
    >>>>>> it."
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> That isn't true.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You said a user (me) *has to take the chance of breaking the law*.
    >>>>
    >>>> I said A USER. A USER. I didn't say you specifically. If it is
    >>>> illegal to DL and install certain software, without paying for it,
    >>>> where you live, then it is illegal.
    >>>
    >>> Snit:
    >>> Then I went to Radio Streams and Shoutcast... picked a station and
    >>> was told there was no available decoder.
    >>>
    >>> Rick:
    >>> The user has to take the chance of breaking laws by installing
    >>> some codecs.
    >>>
    >>> I, clearly, was one of the users in question... if not the only user.

    >>
    >> Clearly, you are mistaken. I am sure the Amarok developers do not write
    >> their software based on your specific locality or legality.

    >
    > Notice how you change the topic from your comments in response to me to
    > what Amarok developers are doing in regards to their product in general.
    >
    > In other words you lied.


    In other words you still don't get the fact that different localities
    have different laws.

    >
    > But, sure, your claim that users would *have* to risk breaking the law
    > applied to not just me but to others as well.
    >
    > No argument here!
    >
    >>> And you told me that the "user HAS to take a chance of breaking the
    >>> law". Emphasis mine.
    >>>
    >>> You said I would *have* to. Have to take a chance of breaking the
    >>> law.


    No, I didn't say -you- would have to do anything.

    >>>
    >>> Break the law - just to get some pretty basic functionality.
    >>>
    >>> Now you are back pedaling. Oh well.
    >>>
    >>> As I said: you deny your flip flops and feign ignorance... and here
    >>> you are proving me correct.
    >>>
    >>> Again.
    >>> ...

    >>
    >> Idiot.

    >
    > You did not format your .sig correctly.


    Idiot.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:59:51 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > VaWdnULx74MHp-fVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 10:25 AM:
    >
    >> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:26:14 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> VaWdnU_x74NncuTVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 5:07 AM:
    >>>
    >>> ...
    >>>>>> While Snit did quote he failed to cite.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> From a recent post:
    >>>>> -----
    >>>>> 13oft08jhqo0556@news.supernews.com
    >>>>>
    >>>>> And hey, to help you out, here is a link:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.....advocacy/msg/
    >>>>> a6250d7d3c555647>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> So now when will you apologize for not only lying but tying
    >>>>> *your* lies to *my* name.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Even you have to admit that was amazingly pathetic of you, eh?
    >>>>> Or are you going to feign ignorance and pretend you do not
    >>>>> realize how absurd your actions are? -----
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You were saying?
    >>>>
    >>>> They cite says "a user". Not Snit.
    >>>
    >>> Snit:
    >>> Then I went to Radio Streams and Shoutcast... picked a station and
    >>> was told there was no available decoder.
    >>>
    >>> Rick:
    >>> The user has to take the chance of breaking laws by installing
    >>> some codecs.
    >>>
    >>> Ah, Rick is playing the game where he pretends (almost surely knowing
    >>> full well he is wrong) that the context does not make it clear he was
    >>> in reference to me. Poor Rick... his best "defense" is to feign
    >>> ignorance as he flip flops and denies his own words.

    >>
    >> The context was why Amarok does not include codecs.

    >
    > And your "solution" to the problem of it not including the codecs needed
    > for it to fulfill some of its basic functionality was that a user would
    > *have* to risk breaking the law.
    >
    > Which is what I said.
    >
    > And you denied.
    >
    > And I quoted.
    >
    > And you denied.
    >
    > On and on... you denying your own words.
    >
    > ...


    Lying idiot.



    --
    Rick

  6. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    "Rick" stated in post
    VaWdnX7x74OE4efVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 3:05 PM:

    >> On and on you go - showing no understanding of what you read and
    >> repeatedly lying about me and my comments.
    >>
    >> Amarok - a music player / organizer - asks by default what database to
    >> use - even though, as you have now acknowledged,

    >
    > I never denied it. As a matter of fact, I told you about SQLite.
    >
    >> it has its own internal
    >> one that it can use and thus has no need to ask such a question... a

    >
    > Apparently the developers disagree with you.
    >
    >> question that is completely absurd to ask the general user. As I noted
    >> the question, if the developers feel there is such a need, could be
    >> asked in an advanced installation option and thus better meets the needs
    >> of the general user while fully meeting the needs of the advanced.

    >
    > I see no problem setting up which database to use at the initial install/
    > setup.
    >
    >>
    >> You, of course, find nothing wrong with an installer for a music player
    >> / organizer asking every user what database they want to use... though
    >> even the Amarok installer screen makes it clear that a user may very
    >> well "not be sure" of which to use. Frankly it is an absurd question to
    >> ask *every* user who installs the program.

    >
    > It is absurd in your opinion.


    If you know Amarok has its own database then you should realize - if you
    understand the most basic things about computers - that there is no need for
    the general user to be asked about what *database* they want to use ... it
    is, after all, a *music* playing and organizing program. It is rather
    absurd that the Amarok programmers would have that as a general installation
    question. Really... shows how out of touch with the general user the Amarok
    folks are.

    And your defense of them shows you are just as far out of touch. Thanks for
    making that clear. Again. Frankly this type of silliness from the OSS
    community is one of the things that keeps it from being more popular.


    --
    I am one of only .3% of people who have avoided becoming a statistic.





  7. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    "Rick" stated in post
    VaWdnXTx74PY4-fVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 3:14 PM:

    >> And your "solution" to the problem of it not including the codecs needed
    >> for it to fulfill some of its basic functionality was that a user would
    >> *have* to risk breaking the law.
    >>
    >> Which is what I said.
    >>
    >> And you denied.
    >>
    >> And I quoted.
    >>
    >> And you denied.
    >>
    >> On and on... you denying your own words.
    >>
    >> ...

    >
    > Lying idiot.


    Once again Rick shows the extent of his ability to defend his silly
    comments:

    Snit:
    Then I went to Radio Streams and Shoutcast... picked a station and
    was told there was no available decoder.

    Rick:
    The user has to take the chance of breaking laws by installing
    some codecs.

    Poor Rick... so embarrassed by his own words.

    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...21217782777472


  8. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    "Rick" stated in post
    VaWdnXXx74Ow4-fVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/13/08 3:14 PM:

    ....
    >>>> Snit:
    >>>> Then I went to Radio Streams and Shoutcast... picked a station and
    >>>> was told there was no available decoder.
    >>>>
    >>>> Rick:
    >>>> The user has to take the chance of breaking laws by installing
    >>>> some codecs.
    >>>>
    >>>> I, clearly, was one of the users in question... if not the only user.
    >>>
    >>> Clearly, you are mistaken. I am sure the Amarok developers do not write
    >>> their software based on your specific locality or legality.

    >>
    >> Notice how you change the topic from your comments in response to me to
    >> what Amarok developers are doing in regards to their product in general.
    >>
    >> In other words you lied.

    >
    > In other words you still don't get the fact that different localities
    > have different laws.


    And when Rick has no ability to defend his views he fabricates positions for
    his opposition.

    How clever of him!

    LOL!

    Seriously, Rick, I hope you never were on a debate team.

    >> But, sure, your claim that users would *have* to risk breaking the law
    >> applied to not just me but to others as well.
    >>
    >> No argument here!
    >>
    >>>> And you told me that the "user HAS to take a chance of breaking the
    >>>> law". Emphasis mine.
    >>>>
    >>>> You said I would *have* to. Have to take a chance of breaking the
    >>>> law.

    >
    > No, I didn't say -you- would have to do anything.


    Snit:
    Then I went to Radio Streams and Shoutcast... picked a station and
    was told there was no available decoder.

    Rick:
    The user has to take the chance of breaking laws by installing
    some codecs.

    LOL! Rick cannot even accept the context of what he said!

    ....
    >>> Idiot.

    >>
    >> You did not format your .sig correctly.

    >
    > Idiot.


    Still not formatted correctly.

    --
    "And so, in no sense, is stability a reason to move to a new version. Its
    never a reason." - Bill Gates


  9. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:31:48 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > If you know Amarok has its own database then you should realize - if you
    > understand the most basic things about computers - that there is no need
    > for the general user to be asked about what *database* they want to use
    > ... it is, after all, a *music* playing and organizing program.




    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
    da·ta·base Audio Help /ˈdeɪtəˌbeɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled
    Pronunciation[dey-tuh-beys] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. a comprehensive collection of related data organized for
    convenient access, generally in a computer.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/database




    Yeh, organizing music, database, so weird to put these ideas together.
    You act as if the word "database" conjures up arcane connotations whereas
    it's a rather mundane word used in everyday conversations.



    -Thufir

  10. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    Verily I say unto thee, that thufir spake thusly:
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:31:48 -0700, Snit wrote:


    >> If you know Amarok has its own database then you should realize -
    >> if you understand the most basic things about computers - that
    >> there is no need for the general user to be asked about what
    >> *database* they want to use ... it is, after all, a *music* playing
    >> and organizing program.


    Well I'd certainly /hope/ that Amarok would ask me what database I want
    to use, since my Amarok MySQL database is on a server in another room,
    and the Ogg Vorbis files that database points to are on yet another
    (media) server. I'd hate to have to waste my time and resources
    recreating a new database, and scanning gigabytes of files over the
    network into that new database, each and every time I installed Linux on
    a new machine that I wanted to play that music on.

    It would seem that archetypal Windows users just enjoy wasting their
    time and resources ... after all, they've had plenty of experience doing
    that with Windows. Your "students" more than most, I'll wager.

    Of course if your "students" get all confused and glassy-eyed at the
    mere mention of databases, you can always just tell them to "hit the
    'next' button", and they'll have a local SQLite database created for
    them. That should be easy enough even for /you/ to understand.

    > Yeh, organizing music, database, so weird to put these ideas
    > together.


    Michael Glasser & teaching computing ... it's even weirder putting
    /those/ ideas together.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.23.8-63.fc8
    11:38:28 up 206 days, 8:14, 3 users, load average: 4.72, 4.63, 4.56

  11. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:48:53 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Hadron" stated in post
    > g5db4b$imi$1@registered.motzarella.org on 7/13/08 9:39 AM:
    >
    > ...
    >>> Snit:
    >>> Then I went to Radio Streams and Shoutcast... picked a station
    >>> and was told there was no available decoder.
    >>>
    >>> Rick:
    >>> The user has to take the chance of breaking laws by installing
    >>> some codecs.
    >>>
    >>> Ah, Rick is playing the game where he pretends (almost surely knowing full
    >>> well he is wrong) that the context does not make it clear he was in
    >>> reference to me. Poor Rick... his best "defense" is to feign ignorance as
    >>> he flip flops and denies his own words.
    >>>
    >>> ...
    >>>
    >>> And, of course, now that Rick knows he has "lost" another Usenet debate he
    >>> reacts by inserting my personal name into his posts as much as he can - he
    >>> knows he cannot "win" by doing anything that is even moderately moral or
    >>> reasonable so he sinks to that.
    >>>
    >>> Again.
    >>>
    >>> And proves me right about what a pathetic troll he is. Oh well.

    >>
    >> Is Rick flip flopping again in order to cover some of the weaknesses in
    >> OSS that he has previously admitted to?

    >
    > In this case he may have exaggerated the flaw with Amarok... though it is
    > still rather absurd. He is, however, clearly in denial of his own words -
    > even though I have quoted and cited them. Who does he think he is fooling?
    >
    >> Unbelievable - he makes 7 look
    >> like a reasonable, balanced "advocate".

    >
    > Maybe that is Rick's goal?


    I believe that Rick's purpose is to keep the Windows users spinning their
    wheels and wasting their time replying to his nonsense so they don't have
    time to get involved in more serious Linux threads.

    Ghost is playing a similar game lately, in fact.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    "Homer" stated in post qumrk5-r9b.ln1@sky.matrix on
    7/14/08 3:38 AM:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that thufir spake thusly:
    >> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:31:48 -0700, Snit wrote:

    >
    >>> If you know Amarok has its own database then you should realize -
    >>> if you understand the most basic things about computers - that
    >>> there is no need for the general user to be asked about what
    >>> *database* they want to use ... it is, after all, a *music* playing
    >>> and organizing program.

    >
    > Well I'd certainly /hope/ that Amarok would ask me what database I want
    > to use, since my Amarok MySQL database is on a server in another room,
    > and the Ogg Vorbis files that database points to are on yet another
    > (media) server. I'd hate to have to waste my time and resources
    > recreating a new database, and scanning gigabytes of files over the
    > network into that new database, each and every time I installed Linux on
    > a new machine that I wanted to play that music on.


    Great. Since nobody has suggested you should not be able to do so why do
    you bring this up?
    >
    > It would seem that archetypal Windows users just enjoy wasting their
    > time and resources ... after all, they've had plenty of experience doing
    > that with Windows. Your "students" more than most, I'll wager.


    Now you are babbling off topic... and again bringing up my students. Why?

    > Of course if your "students" get all confused and glassy-eyed at the
    > mere mention of databases, you can always just tell them to "hit the
    > 'next' button", and they'll have a local SQLite database created for
    > them. That should be easy enough even for /you/ to understand.


    And more babbling from you - all because you do not get the point I made.

    OK.

    You are proving my point: desktop Linux is not designed for the general
    user... it is designed for techie folks such as yourself. This is one of
    the things that prevents it from growing its desktop user base.

    >> Yeh, organizing music, database, so weird to put these ideas
    >> together.

    >
    > Michael Glxsser & teaching computing ... it's even weirder putting
    > /those/ ideas together.


    And then you sink to insults and tying your posts to my name. Shows that
    you know you have no leg to stand on... if you did you would not resort to
    such BS... you would make a point and defend it!

    --
    Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are incredibly
    slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond
    imagination. - attributed to Albert Einstein, likely apocryphal


  13. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    rxtykkxk1dko$.112oxf4x1zmig.dlg@40tude.net on 7/14/08 6:54 AM:

    >>>> And, of course, now that Rick knows he has "lost" another Usenet debate he
    >>>> reacts by inserting my personal name into his posts as much as he can - he
    >>>> knows he cannot "win" by doing anything that is even moderately moral or
    >>>> reasonable so he sinks to that.
    >>>>
    >>>> Again.
    >>>>
    >>>> And proves me right about what a pathetic troll he is. Oh well.
    >>>
    >>> Is Rick flip flopping again in order to cover some of the weaknesses in
    >>> OSS that he has previously admitted to?

    >>
    >> In this case he may have exaggerated the flaw with Amarok... though it is
    >> still rather absurd. He is, however, clearly in denial of his own words -
    >> even though I have quoted and cited them. Who does he think he is fooling?
    >>
    >>> Unbelievable - he makes 7 look
    >>> like a reasonable, balanced "advocate".

    >>
    >> Maybe that is Rick's goal?

    >
    > I believe that Rick's purpose is to keep the Windows users spinning their
    > wheels and wasting their time replying to his nonsense so they don't have
    > time to get involved in more serious Linux threads.
    >
    > Ghost is playing a similar game lately, in fact.


    I think Rick's goal is to *try* to sound knowledgeable and then, when he
    inevitably fails (flip flops, clearly gets over his head, etc.) his goal
    changes to saving face... and then when *that* fails he sinks to grade
    school insults... and then when *that* fails to get a rise out of his
    "opponent" he swears off responding to them for a while. Then he uses his
    lack of replying to the "troll" as a badge of honor... it is his way of
    building up his wounded ego.


    --
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    --Albert Einstein


  14. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:54:40 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:48:53 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Hadron" stated in post
    >> g5db4b$imi$1@registered.motzarella.org on 7/13/08 9:39 AM:
    >>
    >> ...
    >>>> Snit:
    >>>> Then I went to Radio Streams and Shoutcast... picked a station
    >>>> and was told there was no available decoder.
    >>>>
    >>>> Rick:
    >>>> The user has to take the chance of breaking laws by installing
    >>>> some codecs.
    >>>>
    >>>> Ah, Rick is playing the game where he pretends (almost surely knowing
    >>>> full well he is wrong) that the context does not make it clear he was
    >>>> in reference to me. Poor Rick... his best "defense" is to feign
    >>>> ignorance as he flip flops and denies his own words.
    >>>>
    >>>> ...
    >>>>
    >>>> And, of course, now that Rick knows he has "lost" another Usenet
    >>>> debate he reacts by inserting my personal name into his posts as much
    >>>> as he can - he knows he cannot "win" by doing anything that is even
    >>>> moderately moral or reasonable so he sinks to that.
    >>>>
    >>>> Again.
    >>>>
    >>>> And proves me right about what a pathetic troll he is. Oh well.
    >>>
    >>> Is Rick flip flopping again in order to cover some of the weaknesses
    >>> in OSS that he has previously admitted to?

    >>
    >> In this case he may have exaggerated the flaw with Amarok... though it
    >> is still rather absurd. He is, however, clearly in denial of his own
    >> words - even though I have quoted and cited them. Who does he think he
    >> is fooling?
    >>
    >>> Unbelievable - he makes 7 look
    >>> like a reasonable, balanced "advocate".

    >>
    >> Maybe that is Rick's goal?

    >
    > I believe that Rick's purpose is to keep the Windows users spinning
    > their wheels and wasting their time replying to his nonsense so they
    > don't have time to get involved in more serious Linux threads.


    Serious requests for information and help generally aren't made here.
    They are made in technical groups and appropriate forums.

    >
    > Ghost is playing a similar game lately, in fact.






    --
    Rick

  15. Re: [News] Amarok 2.0 Approaches Release

    "Rick" stated in post
    BJWdnQhDvogNI-bVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@supernews.com on 7/14/08 2:01 PM:

    >>> In this case he may have exaggerated the flaw with Amarok... though it
    >>> is still rather absurd. He is, however, clearly in denial of his own
    >>> words - even though I have quoted and cited them. Who does he think he
    >>> is fooling?
    >>>
    >>>> Unbelievable - he makes 7 look
    >>>> like a reasonable, balanced "advocate".
    >>>
    >>> Maybe that is Rick's goal?

    >>
    >> I believe that Rick's purpose is to keep the Windows users spinning
    >> their wheels and wasting their time replying to his nonsense so they
    >> don't have time to get involved in more serious Linux threads.

    >
    > Serious requests for information and help generally aren't made here.
    > They are made in technical groups and appropriate forums.


    Is that your current excuse for your trolling?


    --
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3