Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion. - Linux

This is a discussion on Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion. - Linux ; http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...-debuts-t.html IPhone Debuts to Eager Hordes in Japan Lines formed about the block at the Softback store where eager buyers of the iPhone 3G counted down the final seconds to with a digital clock at the entrance and amid swirls ...

  1. Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...-debuts-t.html

    IPhone Debuts to Eager Hordes in Japan
    Lines formed about the block at the Softback store where eager buyers of
    the iPhone 3G counted down the final seconds to with a digital clock at the
    entrance and amid swirls of smoke as the store opened at exactly 8 a.m.

    The inventory of iPhones quickly sold out, but not before 28-year-old
    filmmaker Taichiro Nakamura got his. "I'm so happy," he said.

    The OpenMoko like linux is "all about choice" even though it only
    contributes to the mess and confusion. It seems to have about 5 different
    toolkits for developing apps but none of them are actually complete and
    ready for use. Sound familiar?

    Conclusion
    OpenMoko's ongoing development strategy is to evolve the ASU and FSO in
    parallel, and eventually replace the Qtopia phone bits with the FSO phone
    bits when FSO is sufficiently mature. The Illume launcher and other
    EFL-based software will be more tightly integrated with the phone
    functionality at that point and the Qtopia parts of the ASU will be scaled
    back incrementally. Eventually, the PIM functionality and other
    higher-level components will be retooled to work on FreeSmartphone.org
    specifications too. (Huh???? How about something that just works.)

    The OpenMoko platform strategy is clearly still evolving, but it has a lot
    to offer for developers who want a truly hackable Linux-based mobile phone
    that elevates freedom and choice. The biggest problem is that none of the
    three stacks are really fully functional in every respect at this stage of
    development. There are still gaps in completeness and reliability that will
    deter end users who want a smartphone that just works.

    The difficulty of navigating the platform and toolkit choices could also
    frustrate some neophyte developers who just want to build software for the
    device. The tangled pile of mostly outdated and incomplete documentation at
    the OpenMoko wiki exacerbates the problem.

    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/op...software.ars/3

  2. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > OpenMoko's ongoing development strategy is to evolve the ASU and FSO in
    > parallel, and eventually replace the Qtopia phone bits with the FSO phone
    > bits when FSO is sufficiently mature. The Illume launcher and other
    > EFL-based software will be more tightly integrated with the phone
    > functionality at that point and the Qtopia parts of the ASU will be scaled
    > back incrementally. Eventually, the PIM functionality and other
    > higher-level components will be retooled to work on FreeSmartphone.org

    Wow. No wonder people get confused.

  3. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > "Ezekiel" writes:
    >
    >> OpenMoko's ongoing development strategy is to evolve the ASU and FSO in
    >> parallel, and eventually replace the Qtopia phone bits with the FSO
    >> phone
    >> bits when FSO is sufficiently mature. The Illume launcher and other
    >> EFL-based software will be more tightly integrated with the phone
    >> functionality at that point and the Qtopia parts of the ASU will be
    >> scaled
    >> back incrementally. Eventually, the PIM functionality and other
    >> higher-level components will be retooled to work on FreeSmartphone.org

    > Wow. No wonder people get confused.

    If you read the article it's actually way worse than this. There's several
    paragraphs in the article where they talk about all of the different
    toolkits, frameworks and API's that exist and what's being replaced by what
    and blah, blah, blah. I didn't copy it all because there's just too much to
    get into in a single post but what a mess. I assumed that they would do the
    obvious/sensible thing and initially release one framework for the phone so
    that people can develop apps for it. Instead there are all sorts of
    incompatible bits and pieces to this thing and it's chaos from day one.

  4. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:21:31 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Ezekiel" writes:
    >
    >> OpenMoko's ongoing development strategy is to evolve the ASU and FSO in
    >> parallel, and eventually replace the Qtopia phone bits with the FSO phone
    >> bits when FSO is sufficiently mature. The Illume launcher and other
    >> EFL-based software will be more tightly integrated with the phone
    >> functionality at that point and the Qtopia parts of the ASU will be scaled
    >> back incrementally. Eventually, the PIM functionality and other
    >> higher-level components will be retooled to work on FreeSmartphone.org

    > Wow. No wonder people get confused.

    The sales people are going to bury that product because they want to sell
    something that people can actually use and enjoy...

    Mookie sounds like yet another Linux clusterfsck.

    BTW where are all those Linux phones we kept hearing about last year?

    You know, all those iPhone killers?

    HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:56:51 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >> "Ezekiel" writes:
    >>
    >>> OpenMoko's ongoing development strategy is to evolve the ASU and FSO in
    >>> parallel, and eventually replace the Qtopia phone bits with the FSO
    >>> phone
    >>> bits when FSO is sufficiently mature. The Illume launcher and other
    >>> EFL-based software will be more tightly integrated with the phone
    >>> functionality at that point and the Qtopia parts of the ASU will be
    >>> scaled
    >>> back incrementally. Eventually, the PIM functionality and other
    >>> higher-level components will be retooled to work on FreeSmartphone.org

    >> Wow. No wonder people get confused.

    > If you read the article it's actually way worse than this. There's several
    > paragraphs in the article where they talk about all of the different
    > toolkits, frameworks and API's that exist and what's being replaced by what
    > and blah, blah, blah. I didn't copy it all because there's just too much to
    > get into in a single post but what a mess. I assumed that they would do the
    > obvious/sensible thing and initially release one framework for the phone so
    > that people can develop apps for it. Instead there are all sorts of
    > incompatible bits and pieces to this thing and it's chaos from day one.

    Are they going to have 500+ plus different versions of this phone like they
    have with Linux distributions?

    Ain't choice great!!!!!!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:16:08 -0400
    <20462$48775d19$9822@news.teranews.com>:

    > http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...-debuts-t.html
    >

    > IPhone Debuts to Eager Hordes in Japan
    > Lines formed about the block at the Softback store where eager buyers of
    > the iPhone 3G counted down the final seconds to with a digital clock at the
    > entrance and amid swirls of smoke as the store opened at exactly 8 a.m.

    [rest snipped]

    Personally, I for one would think the Samsung Instinct is the better
    phone, as it runs Microsoft Windows.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. When it absolutely, positively, has to crash.

  7. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    >> ible thing and initially
    >> release one framework for the phone so that people can develop apps
    >> for it. Instead there are all sorts of incompatible bits and pieces
    >> to this thing and it's chaos from day one.

    > Are they going to have 500+ plus different versions of this phone like
    > they have with Linux distributions?

    How about stating the REAL number of distro's....it's nowhere even near
    500.

  8. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DanS

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:29:44 +0000 (UTC)
    :
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >
    >>> ible thing and initially
    >>> release one framework for the phone so that people can develop apps
    >>> for it. Instead there are all sorts of incompatible bits and pieces
    >>> to this thing and it's chaos from day one.

    >> Are they going to have 500+ plus different versions of this phone like
    >> they have with Linux distributions?

    > How about stating the REAL number of distro's....it's nowhere even near
    > 500.

    http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity
    suggests at least 349, if one scrolls all the way
    down to the bottom. There is also a LinuxCD.org ad on
    Distrowatch's frontpage that suggests over a thousand,
    though that is harder to verify, and may include counting
    7 versions of SuSE DVDs, at least if one goes by the icons
    on the frontpage. FreeBSD is also in there, but that's
    not a Linux distro (though it's good FOSS in its own right).

    Many of these are derivatives of others -- Sabayon in
    particular is a Gentoo derivative, and Kubuntu is an Ubuntu
    derivative with KDE; Mint is another Ubuntu derivative.

    Of course the top 20 or so aren't that difficult to identify.
    Ubuntu is the top one right now, apparently.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

  9. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    DanS wrote:
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >
    >>> ible thing and initially
    >>> release one framework for the phone so that people can develop apps
    >>> for it. Instead there are all sorts of incompatible bits and pieces
    >>> to this thing and it's chaos from day one.

    >> Are they going to have 500+ plus different versions of this phone
    >> like they have with Linux distributions?

    > How about stating the REAL number of distro's....it's nowhere even
    > near 500.

    Are you only wanting the distros that /work/ counted? Granted, _that's_
    nowhere even near 5.

  10. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Damian

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:48:55 -0700
    :
    > DanS wrote:
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    >>> Are they going to have 500+ plus different versions of this phone
    >>> like they have with Linux distributions?

    >> How about stating the REAL number of distro's....it's nowhere even
    >> near 500.

    > Are you only wanting the distros that /work/ counted? Granted, _that's_
    > nowhere even near 5.

    And these working distros are...?

    Don't keep us in suspense. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.

  11. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Damian
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:48:55 -0700
    > :
    >> DanS wrote:
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    >>> How about stating the REAL number of distro's....it's nowhere even
    >>> near 500.

    >> Are you only wanting the distros that /work/ counted? Granted,
    >> _that's_ nowhere even near 5.
    >>

    > And these working distros are...?
    >
    > Don't keep us in suspense. ;-)

    When I saw that, I too thought '5' was an inflated number.

  12. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:27:28 -0700, relic wrote:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Damian
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:48:55 -0700
    >> :

    >>> Are you only wanting the distros that /work/ counted? Granted,
    >>> _that's_ nowhere even near 5.
    >>>

    >> And these working distros are...?
    >>
    >> Don't keep us in suspense. ;-)

    > When I saw that, I too thought '5' was an inflated number.

    Good luck finding a Linux distribution that totally works.
    Why do you think they have 500+ different versions of Linux?

    The reason is, each one is yet another quest toward making the previous
    ones work.
    But then they introduce more bugs and the cycle continues.

    Linux is a total waste of time.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    DanS wrote:
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >
    >>> ible thing and initially
    >>> release one framework for the phone so that people can develop apps
    >>> for it. Instead there are all sorts of incompatible bits and pieces
    >>> to this thing and it's chaos from day one.

    >> Are they going to have 500+ plus different versions of this phone
    >> like they have with Linux distributions?

    > How about stating the REAL number of distro's....it's nowhere even
    > near 500.

    How about doing your own research?

    DistroWatch database summary

    Number of all distributions in the database: 570
    Number of all active distributions in the database: 349
    Number of discontinued distributions: 134
    Number of distributions on the waiting list: 193

    http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080707

  14. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in news:ww19cmxhmkxv
    $.o7ktg61a3700$.dlg@40tude.net:

    >>> And these working distros are...?
    >>>
    >>> Don't keep us in suspense. ;-)

    >> When I saw that, I too thought '5' was an inflated number.

    > Good luck finding a Linux distribution that totally works.
    > Why do you think they have 500+ different versions of Linux?

    A still greatly exaggerated number. Let's say 50. It's a good round
    number. And that's 50 current distro's, not one's that haven't been
    maintained for years.

    > The reason is, each one is yet another quest toward making the previous
    > ones work.

    You are yet wrong again, or just have a twisted view of reality. I vote
    the latter.

    The reason there are many distro's is because some people/groups believe
    that they could do a better job of putting a Linux OS together so they
    break off and start their own distro. Call it an ego.

    You would probably do the same thing if you had the intelligence to pull
    it off. I guess we won't be seeing a MoshLinux.

    > But then they introduce more bugs and the cycle continues.

    You are trying to use some twisted logic and lump all Linux distros
    together as one OS, when indeed that is just ludicrous.

    Just like every successive release of a Windows OS, which introduces new
    bugs and issues not found in a previous release, any one single distro
    will do the same thing over it's lifetime.

    > Linux is a total waste of time.

    As is replying to you, until you can put forth an opinion that is
    logical, based on fact, or generally, just makes any kind of sense at
    all.

  15. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:45:40 -0400
    :
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:27:28 -0700, relic wrote:
    >
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Damian
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:48:55 -0700
    >>> :

    [crunch]

    >>> And these working distros are...?
    >>>
    >>> Don't keep us in suspense. ;-)

    [Note: no response.]

    >> When I saw that, I too thought '5' was an inflated number.

    > Good luck finding a Linux distribution that totally works.
    > Why do you think they have 500+ different versions of Linux?

    Why do you think they have 9 versions of Vista?

    > The reason is, each one is yet another quest toward making the previous
    > ones work.
    > But then they introduce more bugs and the cycle continues.
    >
    > Linux is a total waste of time.

    Of course it is; that's why you're posting here, right?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  16. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "atangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    "DanS" stated in post
    Xns9AD91BA53078thisnthatadelphianet@85.214.90.236 on 7/11/08 5:10 PM:

    >> But then they introduce more bugs and the cycle continues.

    > You are trying to use some twisted logic and lump all Linux distros
    > together as one OS, when indeed that is just ludicrous.

    So which distro has the largest user base and what percent is it at? Since
    *all* distros together are, by all reports, at less than 1% and there are,
    by your estimation, 50 distros... well, let's say the largest distro gets
    50% of the Linux grouping of user base... wow... not looking good for any
    Linux based desktop OS.

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby

  17. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 20:06:59 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > DanS wrote:
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    >>> Are they going to have 500+ plus different versions of this phone
    >>> like they have with Linux distributions?

    >> How about stating the REAL number of distro's....it's nowhere even
    >> near 500.

    > How about doing your own research?
    >
    > DistroWatch database summary
    >
    > Number of all distributions in the database: 570
    > Number of all active distributions in the database: 349
    > Number of discontinued distributions: 134
    > Number of distributions on the waiting list: 193
    >
    > http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080707

    Looks like that magic number of 100 different Linux distributions will be
    here any day now....

    What a clusterfsck.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: Thousands wait for sold-out iPhone. OpenMoko OSS phone "a tangled" pile of mess and confusion.

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:11:30 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 20:06:59 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> DanS wrote:
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    >>> How about stating the REAL number of distro's....it's nowhere even
    >>> near 500.

    >> How about doing your own research?
    >>
    >> DistroWatch database summary
    >>
    >> Number of all distributions in the database: 570
    >> Number of all active distributions in the database: 349
    >> Number of discontinued distributions: 134
    >> Number of distributions on the waiting list: 193
    >>
    >> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080707

    > Looks like that magic number of 100 different Linux distributions will be
    > here any day now....
    >
    > What a clusterfsck.....

    Correction: 1000 different Linux distributions....
    The clusterfsck comment stands....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: