[News] [Rival] Microsoft Hires the IDC Shill for More Propaganda, BSA Shill Joins - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Hires the IDC Shill for More Propaganda, BSA Shill Joins - Linux ; * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo: > Windows Server 2008 catching up with Linux > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Windows Server 2008 will never be Linux. And it's not likely to woo Linux >| users away from ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Hires the IDC Shill for More Propaganda, BSA Shill Joins

    > Windows Server 2008 catching up with Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Windows Server 2008 will never be Linux. And it's not likely to woo Linux
    >| users away from open source anytime soon.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| "There's an anti-Microsoft bias in Unixland," Gillen said. "The more
    >| Microsoft continues to erase objections [with features like PowerShell and
    >| Server Core], the harder it is to make the argument that Windows doesn't meet
    >| their needs."
    > `----
    >
    > http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...302564,00.html

    Microsoft needs to erase objections to its predatory behavior, not its
    quirky and somewhat ad hoc development processes (as exemplified by the
    cluster**** that is Microsoft clustering/DNS/ActiveDirectory).

    --
    "Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time."
    -- Steven Wright

  2. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Hires the IDC Shill for More Propaganda, BSA Shill Joins

    Microsoft urges resellers to play it straight, beef up revs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has claimed that each dollar it “loses” to software piracy equals
    | $5.50 in “lost opportunities” to the firm’s channel partners.
    |
    | A Microsoft-sponsored white paper (pdf) released by IT analyst house IDC
    | yesterday highlights the effects of copyright infringement on the software
    | ecosystem across the tech industry.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The BSA has claimed that the value of just PC software that was counterfeited
    | in 2007 was close to $50bn worldwide.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...piracy_claims/

    It's sponsored by Microsoft and conducted by scum, so it must be true. Later
    comes the BSA trying to pass anti-FOSS laws in the EU.

    Related:

    Is Linux really losing market share to Windows? [Gillen lies]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    Windows Server 2008 catching up with Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows Server 2008 will never be Linux. And it's not likely to woo Linux
    | users away from open source anytime soon.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "There's an anti-Microsoft bias in Unixland," Gillen said. "The more
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | Microsoft continues to erase objections [with features like PowerShell and
    | Server Core], the harder it is to make the argument that Windows doesn't meet
    | their needs."
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...302564,00.html

    Microsoft's Sponsored OOXML Study

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today, Microsoft made available an IDC study about so-called open desktop
    | file formats. It's yet another Microsoft propaganda effort, as a crucial
    | format standards vote approaches.
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/2tx9eo

    IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy [in Microsoft-commissioned
    study]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A recent IDC white paper on the economic impact of Microsoft's super
    | soaraway new Vista operating system seems to be lacking one crucial
    | ingredient -- other operating systems.
    `----

    NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
    | IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
    | nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
    | keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

    Has IDC got the wrong number for iPhone?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | IDC has poured cold water on Apple's iPhone just days after a previous survey
    | led M:Metrics to talk up the new entry to the cellphone stakes. But are the
    | new numbers sound?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The most obvious difference is in the sample size. M:Metrics had
    | 11,060 respondents, IDC just 456. The sample space was also different,
    | with M:Metrics apparently sampling from mobile phone subscribers, while
    | IDC looked at online mobile phone shoppers.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...36&Itemid=1054

    IDC Study:

    ,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
    | "(Microsoft manager I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
    | on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
    | on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
    | fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
    | don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
    | competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't mention
    | that we sponsored it."
    `----

    http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

    Vista filip for US states, claims IDC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While reviewers debate the merits of Windows Vista and analysts puzzle the
    | over the pace of adoption, IDC and Microsoft are in little doubt over its
    | impact for the economies of America's 50 states.
    |
    | To date, IDC has estimated Windows Vista will create 37,000 new jobs and
    | generate $15.5bn in related products and services across just four US
    | states.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...ows_vista_idc/

    IDC report on Open Document Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This study is a fact-based analysis of the emerging open document
    | standards, Open XML and ODF.
    `----

    http://openxmldeveloper.org/archive/...Standards.aspx

    Vista launch to add 100,000 Europe IT jobs: study

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The study, conducted by research firm IDC and commissioned by Microsoft,
    | said Windows Vista will be installed on over 30 million personal computers
    | in Denmark, France, Germany, Poland, Spain and United Kingdom within the
    | first year of shipment.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060914/...osoft_study_dc

    Shill season

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's often difficult to figure out the motivation behind a particular
    | study - until one finds out who has commissioned and paid for it.
    | The so-called tech consulting companies would love it if the consumer
    | believes that they have conducted an "independent" study. The worrying
    | thing is that not many people blow their cover.
    `----

    Microsoft Press Releases: Read Between the Lines

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/06...0_id.html?.v=1

    NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Hires the IDC Shill for More Propaganda, BSA Shill Joins

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:59:33 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    >> Windows Server 2008 catching up with Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Windows Server 2008 will never be Linux. And it's not likely to woo Linux
    >>| users away from open source anytime soon.
    >>|
    >>| [...]
    >>|
    >>| "There's an anti-Microsoft bias in Unixland," Gillen said. "The more
    >>| Microsoft continues to erase objections [with features like PowerShell and
    >>| Server Core], the harder it is to make the argument that Windows doesn't meet
    >>| their needs."
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...302564,00.html

    > Microsoft needs to erase objections to its predatory behavior, not its
    > quirky and somewhat ad hoc development processes (as exemplified by the
    > cluster**** that is Microsoft clustering/DNS/ActiveDirectory).

    You're doing a great job today of following Roy Schestowitz around Linonut!
    Keep up the good work!
    The more you guys *advocate* Linux, the worse Linux and the Linux community
    looks to outsiders interested in Linux.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: