[News] Firefox Bigger Than Some Estimates - Linux

  1. Re: [News] Firefox Bigger Than Some Estimates

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Colbert Bump - Firefox 3 Proves its Existence
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Many of us at Mozilla and within the Mozilla community were excited when
    > | Stephen Colbert gave Firefox 3 his “Colbert Bump” on the day of Firefox 3’s
    > | launch (a big thanks to Jonathan Zittrain). You can watch the video here.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.mozilla.com/metrics/2008...its-existence/

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gCEx0Xk_YTA
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hS8ywG5M_NQ

  2. [News] Firefox Bigger Than Some Estimates

    Colbert Bump - Firefox 3 Proves its Existence

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Many of us at Mozilla and within the Mozilla community were excited when
    | Stephen Colbert gave Firefox 3 his “Colbert Bump” on the day of Firefox 3’s
    | launch (a big thanks to Jonathan Zittrain). You can watch the video here.
    `----

    http://blog.mozilla.com/metrics/2008...its-existence/

    Firefox is King

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mozilla Firefox is now the king of all browsers. --At least based on the web
    | traffic data gathered from junauza.com and from a popular tech blog by known
    | Windows Vista fanboy user Jeff Atwood. Firefox tops all other web browsers
    | and most importantly kicked its archrival Internet Explorer out of the
    | highest position.
    `----

    http://www.junauza.com/2008/07/firefox-is-king.html

    Internet Explorer is in its %teens. It's the same over here.

    As shown recently, a lot of IE 'traffic' is Windows zombies and other bots
    (examples below).

    Yesterday:

    Is Linux Getting the Shaft?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So I went and looked. Here is the description of the database used by the
    | Market Share service that everyone seems to rely on:
    |

    | We collect data from the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive
    | on-demand network of live stats customers. The data is compiled from
    | approximately 160 million visitors per month. The information published
    | is an aggregate of the data from this network of hosted website
    | statistics. The site unique visitor and referral information is
    | summarized on a monthly basis.
    |
    | WTF?
    |
    | Is this supposed to be some kind of unbiased sample? But wait, there's
    | more...
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The complexity of this problem is actually rather large. But I can tell you
    | one thing: If you were my graduate student and you came to me with this
    | sampling strategy, I'd send you back to kindergarten. (If I had that power.)
    `----

    http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/20...nt=channellink

    Last week:

    AVG disguises fake traffic as IE6

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In late February, AVG paired its updated anti-virus engine with a real-time
    | malware scanner that vets search engine results before you click on them. If
    | you search Google, for instance, this LinkScanner automatically visits each
    | address that turns up on Google's results page.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...raffic_as_ie6/

    How to beat AVG's fake traffic spew

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This has caused an enormous spike in traffic on sites across the web,
    | including The Register, and many webmasters may not realize where these hits
    | are coming from. Hoping to fool malware writers, LinkScanner mimics real live
    | human clicks. At least in part.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | To avoid confusion, we've updated this story to point out that webmasters are
    | filtering traffic by identifying both the missing HTTP header and the IE6
    | agent. It should also be noted that LinkScanner seems to be using two other
    | user agents. But these are far less prevalent. At the moment, these are the
    | three user agents the product seems to employ:
    |
    | * * Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...temporary_fix/

    Related:

    Bots rule in cyberspace

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
    | computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
    | and to mine for sensitive personal data.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ule-cyberspace

    Bots Helped To Boost Microsoft Live Search Gains

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a blog post, Compete analyst Steve Willis attributed Microsoft's
    | search gains to prizes awarded to users participating in Live Search
    | Club, which features games that post queries to Microsoft's search
    | engine.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft is essentially being DDoSed by thousands of people hundreds
    | of times per minute, but they are mistaking this rise in traffic for
    | people actually using Live Search."
    `----

    Microsoft funding bankrupt Live Search experiment with porn spam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dear reader, please tell me: what do you think of a search engine that steals
    | (bandwidth and AdSense revenue), lies, spams away, and is not clever enough
    | to stop their criminal activities when they’re caught? *
    |
    | Recently a Live Search rep whined in an interview because so many robots.txt
    | files out there block their crawler...
    `----

    http://sebastians-pamphlets.com/micr...search-engine/

+ Reply to Thread