Whoosh! - Linux

This is a discussion on Whoosh! - Linux ; Just updated Mandriva 2008.1 and a new version of Open Office was included. Now up to V2.4.1.5. So I start it up and 3 seconds from clicking the menu entry to a fully functional app. Three seconds. Now I know ...

  1. Whoosh!

    Just updated Mandriva 2008.1 and a new version of Open Office was included.
    Now up to V2.4.1.5. So I start it up and 3 seconds from clicking the menu
    entry to a fully functional app.

    Three seconds. Now I know that OOo may keep a small section of itself
    chugging away in the background but still...

  2. Re: Whoosh!

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:15:50 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:
    >Just updated Mandriva 2008.1 and a new version of Open Office was included.
    >Now up to V2.4.1.5. So I start it up and 3 seconds from clicking the menu
    >entry to a fully functional app.

    >Three seconds. Now I know that OOo may keep a small section of itself
    >chugging away in the background but still...

    Two things going on: faster hardware, and software optimizations.

    Not everybody does it the microsoft way which is to add bloat faster
    than hardware can keep up. Office 2008 on a 5ghz machine isn't any
    faster than office 97 on a pentium-60.

  3. Re: Whoosh!

    AZ Nomad wrote:

    > Not everybody does it the microsoft way which is to add bloat faster
    > than hardware can keep up. Office 2008 on a 5ghz machine isn't any
    > faster than office 97 on a pentium-60.

    And "Vista actually requires more ram than a 32bit cpu can address."

    Face facts, AZ: you're an idiot.

  4. Re: Whoosh!

    * SomeBloke peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Just updated Mandriva 2008.1 and a new version of Open Office was included.
    > Now up to V2.4.1.5. So I start it up and 3 seconds from clicking the menu
    > entry to a fully functional app.
    >
    > Three seconds. Now I know that OOo may keep a small section of itself
    > chugging away in the background but still...

    Almost 8 seconds the first time for me, 2 seconds the next time.

    --
    Standards are crucial. And the best thing about standards is: there are
    so ____many to choose from!

  5. Re: Whoosh!

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I have not rebooted this PC since I got it set up. What for? :-)

    OOOO! OOOO! OOOO! And the tires on your big wheel don't go flat.

  6. Re: Whoosh!

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:46:18 -0400, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I have not rebooted this PC since I got it set up. What for? :-)

    Security fixes for one.

    No wonder your Linux server got hacked and was spewing trojans all over the
    net to unsuspecting fools who visited your site, Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: Whoosh!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:46:18 -0400, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> I have not rebooted this PC since I got it set up. What for? :-)

    > Security fixes for one.
    >
    > No wonder your Linux server got hacked and was spewing trojans all over
    > the net to unsuspecting fools who visited your site, Roy Schestowitz.

    No need to reboot when security fixes are installed. Mandriva is very
    accommodating in this regard. Kernel updates don't even appear to require a
    reboot.

    I do tend to for kernel updates even so. Old habits die hard and all that!

  8. Re: Whoosh!

    In article ,
    SomeBloke wrote:
    > No need to reboot when security fixes are installed. Mandriva is very
    > accommodating in this regard. Kernel updates don't even appear to require a
    > reboot.
    >
    > I do tend to for kernel updates even so. Old habits die hard and all that!

    Some kernel module updates might not require a reboot. Kernel updates
    do.

    However, you should also reboot after library updates, because a library
    update won't affect the copy of the library being used by running
    processes, so running processes can remain vulnerable to problems you
    think you've fixed. You could, of course, just restart the processes
    using the library, rather than the whole system, but that's a lot more
    work, and probably isn't even faster.

    Finally, for any kind of important machine, you should reboot after
    updates, to make sure that the machine does reboot correctly. It's very
    annoying if you apply an update, which messes up your startup scripts or
    does something else that breaks the server, and you don't find out about
    until you have an extended power failure six months later. You find
    your server broken after the power failure, and naturally assume it had
    something do with the power failure, and waste a lot of time, before you
    figure out that update six months ago was the problem.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: Whoosh!

  10. Re: Whoosh!

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:20:19 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > SomeBloke wrote:
    >> No need to reboot when security fixes are installed. Mandriva is very
    >> accommodating in this regard. Kernel updates don't even appear to require a
    >> reboot.
    >>
    >> I do tend to for kernel updates even so. Old habits die hard and all that!

    > Some kernel module updates might not require a reboot. Kernel updates
    > do.
    >
    > However, you should also reboot after library updates, because a library
    > update won't affect the copy of the library being used by running
    > processes, so running processes can remain vulnerable to problems you
    > think you've fixed. You could, of course, just restart the processes
    > using the library, rather than the whole system, but that's a lot more
    > work, and probably isn't even faster.
    >
    > Finally, for any kind of important machine, you should reboot after
    > updates, to make sure that the machine does reboot correctly. It's very
    > annoying if you apply an update, which messes up your startup scripts or
    > does something else that breaks the server, and you don't find out about
    > until you have an extended power failure six months later. You find
    > your server broken after the power failure, and naturally assume it had
    > something do with the power failure, and waste a lot of time, before you
    > figure out that update six months ago was the problem.

    Another example of how the Linux loons in COLA have no clue how the real
    world functions.

    When fixes, patches whatever are applied, in real life, the machine gets
    re-booted and tested because the last thing they need is for some kind of
    power failure, which could be a janitor kicking out the line cord, knocking
    the thing down on a Sunday at 4am and then discovering it won't reboot.

    In the real world these maintenance outages are planned for accordingly.

    Of course professional students like Roy Schestowitz wouldn't understand
    this concept.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: