[News] Cost of GNU/Linux at Best Buy is for Support - Linux

  1. [News] Cost of GNU/Linux at Best Buy is for Support

  2. Re: [News] Cost of GNU/Linux at Best Buy is for Support

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Ubuntu Linux goes retail
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Steve George, director of corporate services for Canonical, announced on
    > | a blog that Canonical along with ValuSoft, a U.S. retail software
    > | distributor, have paired together to get a boxed version of Ubuntu 8.04
    > | into Best Buy retail stores. The retail box contains a "Ubuntu 8.04 CD,
    > | a Quick Start Guide and 60 days of support from the ValuSoft team,
    > | trained and backed by the Canonical support guys. The support covers
    > | installation and getting started using Ubuntu and is priced at $19.99."
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntu_linux_goes_retail
    >
    > There goes the FUD that Linux lacks technical support.

    Thats fantastic - another distribution channel opened for Linux.

    More reasons why WINDUMMY software writers should make sure that their
    software is WINE 1.0 compatible or risk being left out as other
    companies either port their software to Linux or just allow it to run
    WINDUMMY software with hardly any modifications at full speed if not faster
    directly in WINE 1.0.

  3. Re: [News] Cost of GNU/Linux at Best Buy is for Support

    7 wrote:

    > Thats fantastic - another distribution channel opened for Linux.

    What you apparently don't understand is BestBuy has been selling Linux for
    years. I bought two distro sets from a BestBuy store: Suse 7.1 (Pro as I
    recall) and TurboLinux.

    > More reasons why WINDUMMY software writers should make sure that their
    > software is WINE 1.0 compatible or risk being left out as other
    > companies either port their software to Linux

    The pace at which this is happening is breathtaking.

    > or just allow it to run
    > WINDUMMY software with hardly any modifications at full speed if not
    > faster directly in WINE 1.0.

    Show us your Crysis on Linux/Wine demo, little fella.

+ Reply to Thread