The "Wonderful" World of Windows - Linux

This is a discussion on The "Wonderful" World of Windows - Linux ; Yesterday's newspaper had a "computer help" column, with questions from readers answered. I will paraphrase the three questions and answers. Q: How do I get rid of a troublesome program, "Anti Virus 2008"? A: That program is a trojan. It's ...

  1. The "Wonderful" World of Windows

    Yesterday's newspaper had a "computer help" column, with questions from
    readers answered. I will paraphrase the three questions and answers.

    Q: How do I get rid of a troublesome program, "Anti Virus 2008"?

    A: That program is a trojan. It's hard to get rid of, but here's a link
    to a spyware-removal guide.

    Q: Why does my keyboard's response lag way behind my typing?

    A: There's a good chance that some malicious software is hogging your
    CPU. Here's a link to some spyware/virus removal software.

    Q: Outlook Express is being dropped. What do I do for email?

    A: XP users can always use OE. For Vista, you can use Microsoft's
    successor program, Windows Live Mail. (No mention of superior OSS
    alternatives, of course.)

    WTF kind of world are we living in, that so blindly accepts Microsoft's
    crapware? Is is not worth it to learn something new, to avoid all the
    headaches of using Windows? Why are people not told of the alternatives?

  2. Re: The "Wonderful" World of Windows The "Wonderful" World Of Linux (was: The "Wonderful" World of Windows)

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 19:44:17 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Yesterday's newspaper had a "computer help" column, with questions from
    > readers answered. I will paraphrase the three questions and answers.
    >
    > Q: How do I get rid of a troublesome program, "Anti Virus 2008"?
    >
    > A: That program is a trojan. It's hard to get rid of, but here's a link
    > to a spyware-removal guide.
    >
    > Q: Why does my keyboard's response lag way behind my typing?
    >
    > A: There's a good chance that some malicious software is hogging your
    > CPU. Here's a link to some spyware/virus removal software.
    >
    > Q: Outlook Express is being dropped. What do I do for email?
    >
    > A: XP users can always use OE. For Vista, you can use Microsoft's
    > successor program, Windows Live Mail. (No mention of superior OSS
    > alternatives, of course.)
    >
    > WTF kind of world are we living in, that so blindly accepts Microsoft's
    > crapware? Is is not worth it to learn something new, to avoid all the
    > headaches of using Windows? Why are people not told of the alternatives?

    Here's the Linux version:

    Q: I run Mint Linux and I bought a new printer which does nothing when I
    plug it in. What can I do to fix this?

    A: Is support for the printer complied in your kernel? If not you will need
    to compile your kernel.

    Q: My new video card has TV and a remote control along with some other
    advanced video and audio features. None of them work with Linux.

    A: Write the hardware manufacturer and ask them to include Linux support.
    You should have checked before assuming support for Linux.

    Q: How do I set my path statement so programs will start?

    A: Google. There are a million different answers to this one and depending
    upon the distribution and shell you may have several options

    Q: What is Linux?

    A: Good question. If you ever get a reasonable answer, let us know.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: The "Wonderful" World of Windows The "Wonderful" World Of Linux

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:06:34 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 19:44:17 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday's newspaper had a "computer help" column, with questions from
    >> readers answered. I will paraphrase the three questions and answers.
    >>
    >> Q: How do I get rid of a troublesome program, "Anti Virus 2008"?
    >>
    >> A: That program is a trojan. It's hard to get rid of, but here's a
    >> link to a spyware-removal guide.
    >>
    >> Q: Why does my keyboard's response lag way behind my typing?
    >>
    >> A: There's a good chance that some malicious software is hogging your
    >> CPU. Here's a link to some spyware/virus removal software.
    >>
    >> Q: Outlook Express is being dropped. What do I do for email?
    >>
    >> A: XP users can always use OE. For Vista, you can use Microsoft's
    >> successor program, Windows Live Mail. (No mention of superior OSS
    >> alternatives, of course.)
    >>
    >> WTF kind of world are we living in, that so blindly accepts Microsoft's
    >> crapware? Is is not worth it to learn something new, to avoid all the
    >> headaches of using Windows? Why are people not told of the
    >> alternatives?

    > Here's the Linux version:
    >
    > Q: I run Mint Linux and I bought a new printer which does nothing when
    > I plug it in. What can I do to fix this?
    >
    > A: Is support for the printer complied in your kernel? If not you will
    > need to compile your kernel.

    You show your stupidity and dishonesty.

    > Q: My new video card has TV and a remote control along with some other
    > advanced video and audio features. None of them work with Linux.
    >
    > A: Write the hardware manufacturer and ask them to include Linux
    > support. You should have checked before assuming support for Linux.

    .... wow, a correct answer.

    > Q: How do I set my path statement so programs will start?
    >
    > A: Google. There are a million different answers to this one and
    > depending upon the distribution and shell you may have several options

    You show your stupidity and dishonesty.

    > Q: What is Linux?
    >
    > A: Good question. If you ever get a reasonable answer, let us know.

    You show your stupidity and dishonesty.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: The "Wonderful" World of Windows The "Wonderful" World Of Linux

    Rick wrote:
    >> Here's the Linux version:
    >>
    >> Q: I run Mint Linux and I bought a new printer which does nothing when
    >> I plug it in. What can I do to fix this?
    >>
    >> A: Is support for the printer complied in your kernel? If not you will
    >> need to compile your kernel.

    > You show your stupidity and dishonesty.

    That one's hilarious. How long has flatfish been trolling in this newsgroup
    again? 5 years? 10? And he still thinks people would believe that?

    >> Q: My new video card has TV and a remote control along with some other
    >> advanced video and audio features. None of them work with Linux.
    >>
    >> A: Write the hardware manufacturer and ask them to include Linux
    >> support. You should have checked before assuming support for Linux.

    > ... wow, a correct answer.

    The best lies are embroidered with threads of truth.

    >> Q: How do I set my path statement so programs will start?
    >>
    >> A: Google. There are a million different answers to this one and
    >> depending upon the distribution and shell you may have several options

    > You show your stupidity and dishonesty.

    Only thing that matters here is the shell. And then, the only differences
    are whether to use export or setenv. Flatworm's really outdone himself this
    time.

  5. Re: The "Wonderful" World of Windows The "Wonderful" World Of Linux (was: The "Wonderful" World of Windows)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:06:34 -0400
    :
    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 19:44:17 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday's newspaper had a "computer help" column, with questions from
    >> readers answered. I will paraphrase the three questions and answers.
    >>
    >> Q: How do I get rid of a troublesome program, "Anti Virus 2008"?
    >>
    >> A: That program is a trojan. It's hard to get rid of, but here's a link
    >> to a spyware-removal guide.
    >>
    >> Q: Why does my keyboard's response lag way behind my typing?
    >>
    >> A: There's a good chance that some malicious software is hogging your
    >> CPU. Here's a link to some spyware/virus removal software.
    >>
    >> Q: Outlook Express is being dropped. What do I do for email?
    >>
    >> A: XP users can always use OE. For Vista, you can use Microsoft's
    >> successor program, Windows Live Mail. (No mention of superior OSS
    >> alternatives, of course.)
    >>
    >> WTF kind of world are we living in, that so blindly accepts Microsoft's
    >> crapware? Is is not worth it to learn something new, to avoid all the
    >> headaches of using Windows? Why are people not told of the alternatives?

    > Here's the Linux version:
    >
    > Q: I run Mint Linux and I bought a new printer which does nothing when I
    > plug it in. What can I do to fix this?
    >
    > A: Is support for the printer complied in your kernel?
    > If not you will need to compile your kernel.

    Sorry, it's a bit more complex than that. Printer support
    is inherently multilayer; Linux kernels are easily recompiled
    to support the parallel port -- and most "stock" kernels
    have the parallel port module enabled anyway. That's about
    all the kernel has to worry about.

    There are some issues regarding proper formatting of
    the data stream going through that port -- the clearest
    illustration I can think of is Postscript versus HPCL
    versus other languages. CUPS handles most of that layer,
    and that's at the user/subprocess level.

    The actual job presentation is handled at an even higher
    level. Confusingly, CUPS calls the format converters
    "drivers" as well. http://www.cups.org/ might have
    something, but I'm having troubles finding a good
    description of exactly what happens as an arbitrary
    application sets up and prints something.

    The good news: Gtk provides
    gtk_print_job_set_source_file(), among other
    things; if one can generate Postscript, one can
    print. One can also apparently take a cairo surface
    (gtk_print_job_get_surface()) and draw to it, using cairo.
    The general idea is vaguely similar to Windows metafiles
    (one of the few high-level design ideas Windows got more
    or less right, and even then they botched it).

    > Q: My new video card has TV and a remote control along with some other
    > advanced video and audio features. None of them work with Linux.
    >
    > A: Write the hardware manufacturer and ask them to include Linux support.
    > You should have checked before assuming support for Linux.

    An issue for some; I can't say, as I don't use such devices.

    > Q: How do I set my path statement so programs will start?
    >
    > A: Google. There are a million different answers to this one and depending
    > upon the distribution and shell you may have several options

    A better question is "where", anyway. Most people will
    probably want to edit .bash_profile, if one uses the shell
    (or xterm or gnome-terminal or other such); however, a
    graphical environment (KDE or GNOME) generally ignores the
    path anyway, though registration of a new command can
    use the path implicitly. In other words, if one has
    'eclipse' in one's path to run the Eclipse IDE, one can
    register 'eclipse' as a command in Gnome, and presumably
    KDE as well, and it will work. One can also use
    full file pathnames.

    The faux FAQ (a la Scott Nudds or Vendicar), which attempts
    to "cover" such questions, is unfortunately not readily
    available, though http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/ is
    probably more useful.

    > Q: What is Linux?
    >
    > A: Good question. If you ever get a reasonable answer, let us know.

    1. Linux is the kernel, nothing more, nothing less.

    2. Many distros are erroneously called "Linux" here, which
    should be called more along the lines of "generic
    Linux-based distro" instead. Some also suggest
    GNU/Linux (most distros use GNU-based utilities like cp,
    mv, and rm).

    3. Given Linux, nothing happens; it's a source base.
    To build a Linux distro of one's own (as opposed to
    using one of the many many excellent ones already
    out there), one will need a compiler, a library,
    a bootloader, a shell, and the 'init' program.
    Most people won't need to worry about it, of course;
    they just burn an ISO onto a CD, shove it in, and enjoy.
    But then, most people don't pull the headers off,
    rebore the pistons, and re-mill a camshaft, either,
    or try to anneal the third stage turbine blade in the
    leftmost engine while it's operating.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.