Reiser is an idiot - Linux

This is a discussion on Reiser is an idiot - Linux ; Wow: Judge Goodman essentially confirmed the nature of the crime from the bench. He said that he initially agreed, prior to Reiser's trial that began in November, to accept an involuntary manslaughter plea deal. Goodman said he would have given ...

  1. Reiser is an idiot

    Wow:

    Judge Goodman essentially confirmed the nature of the crime from the
    bench. He said that he initially agreed, prior to Reiser's trial
    that began in November, to accept an involuntary manslaughter plea
    deal. Goodman said he would have given Reiser the minimum,
    three-year term. The maximum for that heat-of-passion crime was 11
    years.

    Reiser refused the offer, which required him to produce the body and
    explain the crime, the judge said.

    Had he accepted, he would have likely been released next May, the
    judge said.

    "That deal was rejected by Mr. Reiser. He chose, if you will, to
    roll the dice," Goodman said.

    Defense attorney William DuBois said, "It's beyond me" why his
    client did not accept the original offer.

    The judge said he would have approved the deal to bring immediate
    closure to family and friends of the victim, and to prevent the
    young Reiser boy, who is now 8, from having to testify. The judge
    said it would have also spared taxpayers the expense of a trial.

    That was a stupid gamble. Let's look at the possibilities:

    1. Gamble with a trial, get lucky, and win. Get out as soon as the
    trial is over, end of April 2008.

    2. Take the involuntary manslaughter deal. Get out May 2009.

    3. Gamble with a trial, and lose. 25 to life. Make a deal then, and
    maybe get that knocked down to 15 to life.

    Note that the sure thing, the involuntary manslaughter deal results in
    only one more year in jail then that absolute best possible outcome from
    the gambling choice.

    Would anyone here, looking at 25 to life, and *knowing* that you are in
    fact guilty, not take a deal that in effect gives you just year of jail?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  2. Re: Reiser is an idiot

    "Tim Smith" stated in post
    reply_in_group-337571.14531909072008....supernews.net on
    7/9/08 2:53 PM:

    > Wow:
    >
    > Judge Goodman essentially confirmed the nature of the crime from the
    > bench. He said that he initially agreed, prior to Reiser's trial
    > that began in November, to accept an involuntary manslaughter plea
    > deal. Goodman said he would have given Reiser the minimum,
    > three-year term. The maximum for that heat-of-passion crime was 11
    > years.
    >
    > Reiser refused the offer, which required him to produce the body and
    > explain the crime, the judge said.
    >
    > Had he accepted, he would have likely been released next May, the
    > judge said.
    >
    > "That deal was rejected by Mr. Reiser. He chose, if you will, to
    > roll the dice," Goodman said.
    >
    > Defense attorney William DuBois said, "It's beyond me" why his
    > client did not accept the original offer.
    >
    > The judge said he would have approved the deal to bring immediate
    > closure to family and friends of the victim, and to prevent the
    > young Reiser boy, who is now 8, from having to testify. The judge
    > said it would have also spared taxpayers the expense of a trial.
    >

    > That was a stupid gamble. Let's look at the possibilities:
    >
    > 1. Gamble with a trial, get lucky, and win. Get out as soon as the
    > trial is over, end of April 2008.
    >
    > 2. Take the involuntary manslaughter deal. Get out May 2009.
    >
    > 3. Gamble with a trial, and lose. 25 to life. Make a deal then, and
    > maybe get that knocked down to 15 to life.
    >
    > Note that the sure thing, the involuntary manslaughter deal results in
    > only one more year in jail then that absolute best possible outcome from
    > the gambling choice.
    >
    > Would anyone here, looking at 25 to life, and *knowing* that you are in
    > fact guilty, not take a deal that in effect gives you just year of jail?

    Hee... I had a long debate in CSMA about what it means to be "in fact
    guilty" or, as we termed it "actually guilty". According to some you
    cannot be actually guilty unless you are found guilty.

    --
    The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
    limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and

  3. Re: Reiser is an idiot

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > Wow:
    >
    > Judge Goodman essentially confirmed the nature of the crime from the
    > bench. He said that he initially agreed, prior to Reiser's trial that
    > began in November, to accept an involuntary manslaughter plea deal.
    > Goodman said he would have given Reiser the minimum, three-year term.
    > The maximum for that heat-of-passion crime was 11 years.
    >
    > Reiser refused the offer, which required him to produce the body and
    > explain the crime, the judge said.
    >
    > Had he accepted, he would have likely been released next May, the
    > judge said.

    Really? Why the hell would they offer something so lenient? A freaking
    year or two for killing someone? Sheesh.

  4. Re: Reiser is an idiot

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Wed, 09 Jul 2008 19:26:49 -0500
    :
    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Wow:
    >>
    >> Judge Goodman essentially confirmed the nature of the crime from the
    >> bench. He said that he initially agreed, prior to Reiser's trial that
    >> began in November, to accept an involuntary manslaughter plea deal.
    >> Goodman said he would have given Reiser the minimum, three-year term.
    >> The maximum for that heat-of-passion crime was 11 years.
    >>
    >> Reiser refused the offer, which required him to produce the body and
    >> explain the crime, the judge said.
    >>
    >> Had he accepted, he would have likely been released next May, the
    >> judge said.

    > Really? Why the hell would they offer something so lenient? A freaking
    > year or two for killing someone? Sheesh.

    It is possible to kill someone and receive *no* time at
    all, though the circumstances would usually involve a
    strongarm robbery on one's property and/or a provable
    threat to one's life. The conditions vary depending on
    locality (murder is defined at the state level in the US).[*]

    Neither of the above, of course, apply in Reiser's case,
    no do plea deals have to make sense to third parties,
    though if the judge screws things up enough he might
    get impeached. ;-) (He is, after all, supposed to be
    operating in the interests of the citizenry, or the state
    in lieu thereof; he is theoretically not allowed to
    operate outside of the boundaries delineated in the law.)
    [*] I'm somewhat familiar with this area of the law in an
    unofficial capacity (disclaimer: IANAL) because I used to
    hang out in alt.abortion/talk.abortion, and many of the
    more extreme right-wingers loved to claim that
    abortion = murder even during the first trimester; sections
    187 through 199 in the California Penal Code are readily
    accessible through the Web and can be used to disprove
    this rather questionable (if emotionally satisfying for
    some) notion.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  5. Re: Reiser is an idiot

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:53:19 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > Wow:
    >
    > Judge Goodman essentially confirmed the nature of the crime from the
    > bench. He said that he initially agreed, prior to Reiser's trial
    > that began in November, to accept an involuntary manslaughter plea
    > deal. Goodman said he would have given Reiser the minimum,
    > three-year term. The maximum for that heat-of-passion crime was 11
    > years.
    >
    > Reiser refused the offer, which required him to produce the body and
    > explain the crime, the judge said.
    >
    > Had he accepted, he would have likely been released next May, the
    > judge said.
    >
    > "That deal was rejected by Mr. Reiser. He chose, if you will, to
    > roll the dice," Goodman said.
    >
    > Defense attorney William DuBois said, "It's beyond me" why his
    > client did not accept the original offer.
    >
    > The judge said he would have approved the deal to bring immediate
    > closure to family and friends of the victim, and to prevent the
    > young Reiser boy, who is now 8, from having to testify. The judge
    > said it would have also spared taxpayers the expense of a trial.
    >

    > That was a stupid gamble. Let's look at the possibilities:
    >
    > 1. Gamble with a trial, get lucky, and win. Get out as soon as the
    > trial is over, end of April 2008.
    >
    > 2. Take the involuntary manslaughter deal. Get out May 2009.
    >
    > 3. Gamble with a trial, and lose. 25 to life. Make a deal then, and
    > maybe get that knocked down to 15 to life.
    >
    > Note that the sure thing, the involuntary manslaughter deal results in
    > only one more year in jail then that absolute best possible outcome from
    > the gambling choice.
    >
    > Would anyone here, looking at 25 to life, and *knowing* that you are in
    > fact guilty, not take a deal that in effect gives you just year of jail?

    He's a classic example of a narcissist.

    Just like Roy Schestowitz couldn't believe that *his Linux server* was
    hacked and spewing trojans, Reiser couldn't conceive of getting caught and
    convicted.

    After all, Reiser is smarter than the average person.

    It's classic narcissistic behavior.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: Reiser is an idiot

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > Would anyone here, looking at 25 to life, and *knowing* that you are in
    > fact guilty, not take a deal that in effect gives you just year of jail?

    BTW, would Reiser -- under California law -- have been compensated for
    spending one year and a half in prison if he had been acquitted in the
    trial?

  7. Re: Reiser is an idiot

    In article ,
    Marc Belmond wrote:
    > BTW, would Reiser -- under California law -- have been compensated for
    > spending one year and a half in prison if he had been acquitted in the
    > trial?

    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that in general, the answer is no.
    Compensation for time waiting for trial is only awarded in most
    jurisdictions under exceptional circumstances, I believe.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: Reiser is an idiot

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:37:49 +0200, KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." schreef in bericht
    >> On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:53:19 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wow:
    >>>
    >>> Judge Goodman essentially confirmed the nature of the crime from the
    >>> bench. He said that he initially agreed, prior to Reiser's trial
    >>> that began in November, to accept an involuntary manslaughter plea
    >>> deal. Goodman said he would have given Reiser the minimum,
    >>> three-year term. The maximum for that heat-of-passion crime was 11
    >>> years.
    >>>
    >>> Reiser refused the offer, which required him to produce the body and
    >>> explain the crime, the judge said.
    >>>
    >>> Had he accepted, he would have likely been released next May, the
    >>> judge said.
    >>>
    >>> "That deal was rejected by Mr. Reiser. He chose, if you will, to
    >>> roll the dice," Goodman said.
    >>>
    >>> Defense attorney William DuBois said, "It's beyond me" why his
    >>> client did not accept the original offer.
    >>>
    >>> The judge said he would have approved the deal to bring immediate
    >>> closure to family and friends of the victim, and to prevent the
    >>> young Reiser boy, who is now 8, from having to testify. The judge
    >>> said it would have also spared taxpayers the expense of a trial.
    >>>

    >>> That was a stupid gamble. Let's look at the possibilities:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Gamble with a trial, get lucky, and win. Get out as soon as the
    >>> trial is over, end of April 2008.
    >>>
    >>> 2. Take the involuntary manslaughter deal. Get out May 2009.
    >>>
    >>> 3. Gamble with a trial, and lose. 25 to life. Make a deal then, and
    >>> maybe get that knocked down to 15 to life.
    >>>
    >>> Note that the sure thing, the involuntary manslaughter deal results in
    >>> only one more year in jail then that absolute best possible outcome from
    >>> the gambling choice.
    >>>
    >>> Would anyone here, looking at 25 to life, and *knowing* that you are in
    >>> fact guilty, not take a deal that in effect gives you just year of jail?

    >> He's a classic example of a narcissist.
    >>
    >> Just like Roy Schestowitz couldn't believe that *his Linux server* was
    >> hacked and spewing trojans, Reiser couldn't conceive of getting caught and
    >> convicted.
    >>
    >> After all, Reiser is smarter than the average person.
    >>
    >> It's classic narcissistic behavior.

    > Buba hates "narcissistic behavior", he's waiting for Hans to make him his
    > bitch!

    Maybe he will put him on his Hackerwerks poster?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/