Linux for housewives. XP for geeks. - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux for housewives. XP for geeks. - Linux ; Retailers and contract manufacturers in Taiwan say that novice PC users there, like students and housewives, tend to buy the Linux version of the Eee PC701, while geeks go for Windows XP Are the housewives in Taiwan smarter than housewives ...

  1. Linux for housewives. XP for geeks.

    Retailers and contract manufacturers in Taiwan say that novice PC users
    there, like students and housewives, tend to buy the Linux version of the
    Eee PC701, while geeks go for Windows XP
    Are the housewives in Taiwan smarter than housewives elsewhere?
    --
    Rick

  2. Re: Linux for housewives. XP for geeks.

    Rick wrote:

    > Retailers and contract manufacturers in Taiwan say that novice PC users
    > there, like students and housewives, tend to buy the Linux version of the
    > Eee PC701, while geeks go for Windows XP

    I saw similar from Asus several weeks ago.
    I admit that I was puzzled at first, but after a little consideration, the
    message is actually quite simple:-

    1. If you are new-ish to personal computers, you will actually find Linux to
    be far simpler than Windows (to say nothing of the attendant Windows
    anti-virus, anti-spyware, defrags., etc)

    2. If you are entrenched in your ways with Windows (and 90%(?) of experienced
    P.C. users are?), you will have some un-learning to do before you can learn.
    That's fine, but we don't want you blaming any pain of that on our product,
    so we are encouraging you to stick with what you know.

    It's (one of!) the Vista problem(s) again. Sure, I read here that you guys
    don't think much of Vista, but I think there's more to it's slow uptake than
    perhaps you realise. Last time around with a Windows OS (XP), a considerably
    higher proportion (than today) of users were technically competent, and could
    cope with change - at least incremental change. These days, computer use has
    extended pretty-well throughout society. So much so that the average I.Q. of
    users is.... well.... average-ish. Many of these newer users have learned
    Windows over a period of time, and they will resist change - ANY change - far
    more than previously.

    imo we in this group dwell too much on current users, particularly home users,
    and try to convince ourselves that this is where "the great Linux
    breakthrough" will come - by converting current joe-six-pack home users to
    Linux.
    I don't think that's the case.
    I see Linux spreading via:-

    - Companies adopting it, and it being "taken home" by employees. (c.f. DOS!)
    - Educational establishments adopting it - schools, and progressing to
    colleges
    - Vast new markets - S.America, China, India, etc.
    - On new devices - e.g. embedded, and the new very small portables.

    In all those areas, it offers visible cost-savings, sovereignty, and lack of
    resistance due to both current lock-in and to mind-set.

    I'm sure it will come.
    In fact, one can see it happening - but it's from a different direction than
    perhaps we used to think:-)

  3. Re: Linux for housewives. XP for geeks.

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Retailers and contract manufacturers in Taiwan say that novice PC users
    > there, like students and housewives, tend to buy the Linux version of the
    > Eee PC701, while geeks go for Windows XP

    Not "geeks". "/Windows/ geeks".

    > Are the housewives in Taiwan smarter than housewives elsewhere?

    --
    Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth.
    -- Picasso

+ Reply to Thread