[News] [Rival] Sharing the Damage of Microsoft Back-door-enabled O/S and Shoddy S/W - Linux

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Sharing the Damage of Microsoft Back-door-enabledO/S and Shoddy S/W

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Oh Lord, make the banks pay for cybercrime
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | One of the more controversial recommendations being that there should be
    > | legislation "to establish the principle that banks be held responsible for
    > | losses incurred by electronic fraud."
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19319/1054/

    I kind of agree with this. If banks are forcing their customers online
    by shutting down branches, and using every club at their disposal to get
    the customer online then they need to take the rough with the smooth.

  2. [News] [Rival] Sharing the Damage of Microsoft Back-door-enabled O/S and Shoddy S/W

    Oh Lord, make the banks pay for cybercrime

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the more controversial recommendations being that there should be
    | legislation "to establish the principle that banks be held responsible for
    | losses incurred by electronic fraud."
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19319/1054/

    That would mean that /everyone/ pays -- collectively -- for those 320 million
    Windows zombie PCs.

    Recent:

    Practical Linux home security

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Indeed, some banks have even been looking into Linux Live CDs for their
    | customers to use. In this circumstance, Internet banking users would boot
    | their computer from the Linux CD and then perform their online banking within
    | a Linux environment. If you already use Linux then this is not really
    | necessary, but it is a testament to the perception of the security and safety
    | Linux offers end users over Microsoft Windows.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18411/1143/

    Bots rule in cyberspace

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
    | computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
    | and to mine for sensitive personal data. ┬*
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ule-cyberspace
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/co...-botnets_N.htm

    Security? - Don't Bank on It

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A useful article here dissecting what's wrong with the latest version of the
    | UK Banking code...
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Since GNU/Linux users tend not to run anti-virus programs, and don't use
    | traditional firewalls: does that mean they're always liable?
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...ank-on-it.html

    New banking code cracks down on out-of-date software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The banking industry has re-affirmed a policy that makes online banking
    | customers responsible for losses if they have out of date anti-virus or
    | anti-phishing protection. New Banking Codes for consumers and businesses took
    | effect on Monday.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...ing_code_2008/

    Related:

    Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The UK has seen an 8,000% increase in fake internet banking scams
    | in the past two years, the government's financial watchdog has warned.
    |
    | The Financial Services Authority (FSA) told peers it was "very concerned"
    | about the growth in "phishing".
    `----

    Secure web browsing through Live Linux distros

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Banking isn't the be-all and end-all: there's many other reasons you'd
    | want a secure system, separate from what's on the hard disk, besides
    | Internet banking. Traveller's can't necessarily trust the integrity of
    | a computer in an Internet cafe.
    `----

    NZ banks demand a peek at customer PCs in fraud cases

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The code also adds: "We reserve the right to request access to your computer
    | or device in order to verify that you have taken all reasonable steps to
    | protect your computer or device and safeguard your secure information in
    | accordance with this code.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...tsrc=news_list

    Linux FlyBuys into financial transactions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux may be an operating system synonymous with a flightless
    | bird, but Loyalty Pacific, the company behind popular retail
    | loyalty and rewards program FlyBuys, has announced it will
    | jet its infrastructure to open source software.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...98;fp;2;fpid;1

    FNB [South African Bank] switches 12 000 desktops to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With 12 000 desktops switching to Linux this is very likely the
    | most significant Linux and open source implementation in South
    | Africa to date.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1562

    Swedish bank hit by 'biggest ever' online heist

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Haxdoor typically installs keyloggers to record keystrokes, and
    | hides itself using a rootkit. The payload of the .ki variant of
    | the Trojan was activated when users attempted to log in to the
    | Nordea online banking site. According to the bank, users were
    | redirected to a false home page, where they entered important
    | log-in information, including log-in numbers.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...9285547,00.htm

    In zombies we trust

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A little over a year ago, I wrote an editorial where in back-of-the-envelope
    | style (.pdf) I estimated that perhaps 15-30% of all privately owned computers
    | were no longer under the sole control of their owner. In the intervening
    | months, I received a certain amount of hate mail but in those intervening
    | months Vint Cert guessed 20-40%, Microsoft said 2/3rds, and IDC suggested
    | 3/4ths. It is thus a conservative risk position to assume that any random
    | counterparty stands a fair chance of being already compromised. ┬* ┬* ┬*
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661

    Microsoft's 10Q Risk Factors Lists Conceivable Liability for Data Leaks

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Improper disclosure of personal data could result in liability and harm our
    | reputation. We store and process significant amounts of personally
    | identifiable information. It is possible that our security controls over
    | personal data, our training of employees and vendors on data security, and
    | other practices we follow may not prevent the improper disclosure of
    | personally identifiable information. Such disclosure could harm our
    | reputation and subject us to liability under laws that protect personal data,
    | resulting in increased costs or loss of revenue. Our software products also
    | enable our customers to store and process personal data. Perceptions that our
    | products do not adequately protect the privacy of personal information could
    | inhibit sales of our products.
    `----

    http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...25854/d10q.htm

    Experts are calling for product liability for software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ah, from the horse's mouth: Microsoft just might be held legally
    | responsible for selling software that is insecure.
    `----

+ Reply to Thread