[News] More Java Tools Are Coming, Open Source - Linux

  1. [News] More Java Tools Are Coming, Open Source

    Troubleshooting tool for Java offered

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun on Tuesday announced availability of Java VisualVM, an open-source GUI
    | tool for troubleshooting and profiling Java applications.
    `----

    Python backing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a not-so-surprising revelation, Sun plans to support the Python and Jython
    | scripting languages in future releases of the open-source NetBeans IDE, which
    | has been expanding beyond its Java origins lately.
    `----

    Recent:

    IcedTea: The First 100% Compliant Open-Source Java

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This week it was announced that the RedHat-initiated IcedTea project, along
    | with OpenJDK, has reached 100% compliance with the Java Test Compatibility
    | Kit (TCK), officially becoming the first completely open-source
    | (GPL-licensed) Java implementation to pass the TCK. Â*
    `----

    http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/06/icedtea_tck

    Is Open Source Good for the Java Developer?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The open source model is emerging not just as a way to make cheaper software,
    | but a way to produce and deliver the next wave of innovation in the software
    | industry. As such, open source is stripping commercial software of its
    | vestigial tails. Open source vendors, on the other hand, are helping open
    | source technologies thrive in places that can’t afford to live on the
    | bleeding edge by making them easier to consume. Â* Â*
    |
    | Who doesn’t want a lot more access to highly innovative best-of-breed
    | software that’s fun and easy to use?
    `----

    http://java.sys-con.com/read/595775_p.htm

    JVM-Based Languages Grow In Popularity

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A growing number of languages are thus being written for the JVM. Four of the
    | most popular are distributed under an open-source license. Given that Java is
    | now open source, this means that you have a fully open-source stack to work
    | with--one that's also portable. Because these languages are implemented on
    | top of the JVM, they also have access to standard Java classes and libraries.
    | This means that if a third-party product includes connectivity routines in
    | Java, but you prefer to work in Python, you can use Jython and access the
    | Java libraries from within your program.
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/165658-blog/jvm-b...-in-popularity

    'Java Is finally Free and Open'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Java Test Compatibility Toolkit is quite the comprehensive test suite,
    | consisting of over 1 million lines of source code, which tests if a Java
    | implementation conforms to Java specifications. Passing the test ensures your
    | implementation is proper Java.
    |
    | This means Java is now 100% Free Software.
    `----

    http://www.osnews.com/story/19892

    Open Source Java Technology Debuts In GNU/Linux Distributions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun Microsystems, Inc. (NASDAQ: JAVA), Canonical Ltd. and Red Hat, Inc.
    | (NYSE: RHT), today announced the inclusion of OpenJDK-based
    | (http://openjdk.java.net) implementations in Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.04 Long
    | Term Support (LTS) Server and Desktop editions, furthering the promise of
    | Sun's open source Java technology initiative.
    `----

    http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/pr/2008-...20080430.1.xml

  2. Re: [News] More Java Tools Are Coming, Open Source

    ------
    SANTA CLARA, CA July X, 2008
    As part of the ongoing open sourcing strategy, Sun Microsystems (NASDAQ:
    JAVA) announced today that effective August 1st Sun stock will be open
    sourced. This move will allow anyone who wishes to own shares of Sun
    stock to download an unlimited number of shares for free. This will
    allow broader ownership of Sun stock and increase the visibility of Sun
    Microsystems in the global community. The new trading symbol will be
    JACU.

    "In the Participation Age things are just radically different. Throw out
    all your preconceptions about how companies should operate and stock
    should be traded. Share price is simply an outdated concept in the
    Participation Age. And stock ownership should not be the exclusive
    privilege of the wealthy capitalists or just for select company
    employees" said Jonathan Schwartz, the CEO of Sun Microsystems. "By open
    sourcing Sun stock, we are increasing the opportunity for people
    everywhere to participate in the growth of our company. Every download
    of free JACU shares will generate an increase in market visibility for
    Sun Microsystems and should improve awareness of our broad portfolio of
    free open-sourced technology. More downloads will generate more
    visibility. More visibility will generate more downloads. It's as simple
    as that. This kind of positive synergy will undoubtedly reward all the
    participants in the Sun ecosystem. That's the power inherent in the
    Participation Age".

    Michael Lehman, CFO of Sun continued: "The fact that we will have
    billions and billions of shares of JACU outstanding - thus resulting in
    dilution to existing shareholders - should be offset by revenues
    generated from sales of Sun-branded tchochkes to all these exciting new
    shareholders. Our new Sunchkes(TM) line will include coffee mugs,
    watches, book bags, bandanas, "cigarette" clips, flasks, tubes and other
    materials that can be used in chemistry experiments, sandals,
    surfboards, and some super rad Sun duds. All of this paraphernalia will
    come with the Sun logo boldly emblazoned on it and that famous Sun
    quality built-in"

    For more information contact....
    ------

    http://quote.yahoo.com/q?s=JAVA