    From: MAILER-DAEMON@physics.ubc.ca (Mail Delivery System)
    To: postmaster@physics.ubc.ca (Postmaster)
    Subject: Postfix SMTP server: errors from
    UNTRUST.OIZURU-FW.OIZURU.CO.TH[116.68.154.226]
    Transcript of session follows.

    Out: 220 info.physics.ubc.ca ESMTP Postfix (2.5.1) (Mandrake Linux)
    In: EHLO UNTRUST.OIZURU-FW.OIZURU.CO.TH
    Out: 250-info.physics.ubc.ca
    Out: 250-PIPELINING
    Out: 250-SIZE 10240000
    Out: 250-VRFY
    Out: 250-ETRN
    Out: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    Out: 250-8BITMIME
    Out: 250 DSN
    In: MAIL From:
    Out: 250 2.1.0 Ok
    In: RCPT To:
    Out: 451 4.3.5 Server configuration error
    In: DATA
    Out: 554 5.5.1 Error: no valid recipients

    Session aborted, reason: lost connection

  2. Re: Help-- postfix suddenly reporting SMTP errors to mail

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 16:02:44 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > I have just installed Mandraka 2008.1 and they have set up postfix so that
    > errors like the enclosed are reported to email to postmaster.

    Hmmm, I never saw that problem.
    Then again, I modify the aliases file.

    $ tail -12 /etc/postfix/aliases | head -5

    # Person who should get root's mail. This alias
    # must exist.
    # CHANGE THIS LINE to an account of a HUMAN
    root: bittwister

    Then run postalias and service postfix restart

    That sends all postmaster emails to me because of the default
    postmaster: root
    directive in aliases.

  3. Re: Help-- postfix suddenly reporting SMTP errors to mail

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:02:44 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > Out: 451 4.3.5 Server configuration error

    Looks to me like there's something in /etc/postfix/main.cf, or the directory
    structure/ownership, that postfix doesn't like. Is there anything in
    /var/log/mail/errors.log?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Help-- postfix suddenly reporting SMTP errors to mail

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:02:44 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    >> Out: 451 4.3.5 Server configuration error

    >Looks to me like there's something in /etc/postfix/main.cf, or the directory
    >structure/ownership, that postfix doesn't like. Is there anything in
    >/var/log/mail/errors.log?

    No that error report IS a report of an invalid recipient. Regular mail to
    real recipients actually does get through fine. HOwever since my system
    gets bombarded by junk messages to ancient or invalid recipients (a user
    similar to the recipient reported in that message was here 15 years ago,
    but the memory in spam lists is infinite) this means I get such invalid
    address recipient mail maybe 1000 times a day. And getting 1000 emails from
    SNTP like that is simply unacceptable.

    >Regards, Dave Hodgins

    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  5. Re: Help-- postfix suddenly reporting SMTP errors to mail

    Unruh writes:

    > "David W. Hodgins" writes:
    >
    >>On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:02:44 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    >>> Out: 451 4.3.5 Server configuration error

    >>Looks to me like there's something in /etc/postfix/main.cf, or the directory
    >>structure/ownership, that postfix doesn't like. Is there anything in
    >>/var/log/mail/errors.log?

    > No that error report IS a report of an invalid recipient. Regular mail to
    > real recipients actually does get through fine. HOwever since my system
    > gets bombarded by junk messages to ancient or invalid recipients (a user
    > similar to the recipient reported in that message was here 15 years ago,
    > but the memory in spam lists is infinite) this means I get such invalid
    > address recipient mail maybe 1000 times a day. And getting 1000 emails from
    > SNTP like that is simply unacceptable.

    But an invalid recipient should not cause your system to return Server
    Configuration Error. If your system is returning SCE to the incoming
    client, your configuration is broken.

    First fix your configuration.

    Then, if you still need to switch off error reporting, look at the section
    on error reporting in
    http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

+ Reply to Thread